HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Would you throw filthy money at Franzen?

Closed Thread

Old
04-05-2009, 02:30 PM
Coldplay
Courage

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
Latendresse in 2-3 years = Frantzen now

I'd rather have Hossa for the time being.
You're not serious.

Old
04-05-2009, 02:31 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
Ok, rather then trading for Lecavalier, I'm thinking we can get something (maybe not as good) equally talented and at a cheaper price:

If we don't re-sign Lang and one of Koivu + Kovalev (I'd like to see both come back for 1 more year), we would have enough money to sign Franzen at an above market price (going with the whole "Must pay UFA's more to play in MTL"). Not counting Brisebois, Bouillon and Dandenault contracts that are expiring, we'd have some moving room to re-sign others, maybe give Tanger a new contract and get our RFA's to sign cheap.

I know I am getting way ahead of myself, but bottom line is I'd like to see Habs sign Franzen to a 4.5M-5.5M deal, for 4-5 years. He could be a serviceable 1st line center and move down to 2nd line duty by the time we draft a real 1st line center?

What say?
How does Frazen fill our need for a center?

Old
04-05-2009, 02:31 PM
CanadienErrant*

Latendresse in 2-3 years = Frantzen now

I'd rather have Hossa for the time being.

Old
04-05-2009, 02:34 PM
LesHabsRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
I would throw a ridiculous amount of money at him.
In bills of course. Throwing bags of loons and toons at him would not be wise if you want a healthy Franzen.

Old
04-05-2009, 02:38 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
You're not serious.
Regular Season Playoffs
Season Team Lge GP G A Pts PIM GP G A Pts PIM
2001-02 Linkoping HC SEL 36 2 6 8 64 -- -- -- -- --
2002-03 Linkoping HC SEL 37 2 4 6 14 -- -- -- -- --
2003-04 Linkoping HC SEL 49 12 18 30 26 5 0 1 1 8
2004-05 Linkoping HC SEL 43 7 7 14 45 6 2 0 2 16
2005-06 Detroit Red Wings NHL 80 12 4 16 36 6 1 2 3 4
2006-07 Detroit Red Wings NHL 69 10 20 30 37 18 3 4 7 10
2007-08 Detroit Red Wings NHL 72 27 11 38 51 16 13 5 18 14
2008-09 Detroit Red Wings NHL 66 33 25 58 42
NHL Totals 287 82 60 142 166 40 17 11 28 28

Embed these stats! | View as text

The guy will be 30 yearl old in December.

In 2005, when he was already 26, he had 12 goals. The following year, he had 10. Third year, he had 38 points...

This year is his FIRST meaningful season.

Lats is only 21, and has already 2 seasons with 17 goals, and he is probably gonna do the same this year with less games played. Both are about the same size and have the same skating speed.

One good playoffs + one good season = no more than 3,8. He certainly better than A.Kost !

But the guy will stay in Detroit.

Old
04-05-2009, 02:44 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Latendresse had 16, 16 and 14 goals in his first three seasons, (including this year)
Franzen had 12, 10, 27 (not including his amazing playoff run).

Franzen played in Europe before coming to the NHL, Europeans take more time to develop than North American players due to adjustments. Franzen's also shown he's more consistent than Lats, who'll go on tears such as the one he's on now for a couple of weeks then disappear the rest of the year.

Franzen is simply more talented than Lats IMO, and Lats will be a 25 goal scorer at BEST, Franzen's already hit 33 and there's no sign of him slowing down.

Maybe that's just my opinion.

Old
04-05-2009, 02:48 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Latendresse had 16, 16 and 14 goals in his first three seasons, (including this year)
Franzen had 12, 10, 27 (not including his amazing playoff run).

Franzen played in Europe before coming to the NHL, Europeans take more time to develop than North American players due to adjustments. Franzen's also shown he's more consistent than Lats, who'll go on tears such as the one he's on now for a couple of weeks then disappear the rest of the year.

Franzen is simply more talented than Lats IMO, and Lats will be a 25 goal scorer at BEST, Franzen's already hit 33 and there's no sign of him slowing down.

Maybe that's just my opinion.
Franzen has Datziuk, Hossa, Zetterberg, among others to play with...

Europeans takes more time to develop ????? Yeah, sure... Ask Ovechkin, Malkin, etc...

Give Latendresse second line duties and meaningful PP time and he will reach 30+ goals easily. He is only 21 too.

Old
04-05-2009, 03:12 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Franzen is also reported to be willing to take less to stay with the wings, or at least that's what some wings fans say.

Hossa might do the same depending on how close the wings get.

If Franzen was available as a FA He'd be on the top of the list, followed be Hossa, then bouwmeester, then Gaborik.

Old
04-05-2009, 03:13 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
Franzen has Datziuk, Hossa, Zetterberg, among others to play with...

Europeans takes more time to develop ????? Yeah, sure... Ask Ovechkin, Malkin, etc...

Give Latendresse second line duties and meaningful PP time and he will reach 30+ goals easily. He is only 21 too.
Other than Ovechkin, Malkin and a few others, yeah.

Latendresse got regular time in the past on the PP and 1st/2nd line and failed to produce past a couple of games, which is why he was taken off.

He is only 21, but his goals are often "garbage" goals as compared to Franzen's.

Old
04-05-2009, 03:18 PM
Cupmonger

I must admit, Lats is improving and I'm getting excited to see him in the playoffs and next season. Seems like he's finally maturing and getting to understand that he plays hockey for a crazy city. And if he doesn't earn the city's respect, he'll get eaten alive.

He's still young and rather fresh. Sure he didn't turn out to be a player that blossomed in his first or second carrier season. But he's improving, which is always great. I currently like his progression over the season. If he starts begin even more agressive, just like the pre-season games that got him to play for us and that the city loved him for. I'll have very big hopes. He's had his ups and downs in the Habs jersey, but it looks like he's getting there, I have hope.

Now, about Franzen, I must admit I hear a lot of good talk about him, seeing those stats posted surprised me a bit. He's a good player, but I don't know anymore ... ><

Old
04-05-2009, 03:22 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Other than Ovechkin, Malkin and a few others, yeah.

Latendresse got regular time in the past on the PP and 1st/2nd line and failed to produce past a couple of games, which is why he was taken off.

He is only 21, but his goals are often "garbage" goals as compared to Franzen's.
So are Franzen's goals. He goes to the net and collects the rebound. Lats has made nice moves too.

I think lats can become a 18-23 goal scorer yearly.

Old
04-05-2009, 03:28 PM
bhuya71

guys lets just beat up shero for taking hossa at the last second last year...and kidnap malkin (THE WHOLE NHL WORLD would notice crosby missing) and put a paper bag over his head so no one notices and have him play for us instead...sigh at least he's proven right!!!

Old
04-05-2009, 03:29 PM
bipolarhabfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux91 View Post
I would do unforgivable things to get 1 of :

Gaborik
Hossa
Franzen
Bouwmeester

trade for : vinny or kovalchuk

just get me 1 of these guys and im happy, but i wouldnt mind getting tanguay back
My fantasy land dream off season would be the following :

Trade Kostitsyn*2 + Plecaneck + 1st + 2nd for Lecavlier. Resign Koivu, Kovy, and Tanguay. Bring in Gabby and Hossa in the offseason. Sign a serviceable dman or two.

Lineup:

Hossa-Lecavlier-Gaborik
Tanguay-Koivu-Kovalev
Latandresse-Lapierre-Higgins
Stewart-Metropolit-Laraque

Markov-Komisarek
Hamrlik-Zubov
Georges-Beuchemin/Bouillion

Price
Halak

Old
04-05-2009, 03:30 PM
bhuya71

Quote:
Originally Posted by bipolarhabfan View Post

Trade Kostitsyn*2 + Plecaneck + 1st + 2nd for Lecavlier. Resign Koivu, Kovy, and Tanguay. Bring in Gabby and Hossa in the offseason. Sign a serviceable dman or two.

Lineup:

Hossa-Lecavlier-Gaborik
Tanguay-Koivu-Kovalev

Markov-Komisarek
Hamrlik-Zubov

Price
Halak
i was going to start screaming cap hit mania and stuff....

but then i noticed the bold.........

Old
04-05-2009, 04:02 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

I'd trade for Lecavalier regardless. Then offer great money at Franzen or Hossa, which even the Wings can't afford to keep. Sign Tanguay. Lang? Only if he takes a major pay cut. Instead of overpaying for Bouwmeester, go after cheaper local product Beauchemin.

Where do I get that money from? No Kovalev, no Koivu (although it would hurt me to lose Saku), no Dandenault, no Bouillon, no Brisebois and unfortunately no Schneider.

Old
04-05-2009, 04:12 PM
MonacoBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
So are Franzen's goals. He goes to the net and collects the rebound. Lats has made nice moves too.

I think lats can become a 18-23 goal scorer yearly.
I like Lats, but Franzen is clearly better for now. And Franzen doesn't score just garbage goals.

There are sooo many nice Franzen goals. This is just a small sample. This guy can score in every way possible. I wish somebody would make a compilation.

Franzen is not just a garbage goal scorer.

Old
04-05-2009, 04:37 PM
GNick42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
Ok, rather then trading for Lecavalier, I'm thinking we can get something (maybe not as good) equally talented and at a cheaper price:

If we don't re-sign Lang and one of Koivu + Kovalev (I'd like to see both come back for 1 more year), we would have enough money to sign Franzen at an above market price (going with the whole "Must pay UFA's more to play in MTL"). Not counting Brisebois, Bouillon and Dandenault contracts that are expiring, we'd have some moving room to re-sign others, maybe give Tanger a new contract and get our RFA's to sign cheap.

I know I am getting way ahead of myself, but bottom line is I'd like to see Habs sign Franzen to a 4.5M-5.5M deal, for 4-5 years. He could be a serviceable 1st line center and move down to 2nd line duty by the time we draft a real 1st line center?

What say?
Too high of a gamble for me. Franzen...5 million for 5 years...I'd pass. I don't think you will see the contracts handed out this summer like other years. Teams are a little concerned because Cap be going down in future. They don't know how much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
I'd trade for Lecavalier regardless. Then offer great money at Franzen or Hossa, which even the Wings can't afford to keep. Sign Tanguay. Lang? Only if he takes a major pay cut. Instead of overpaying for Bouwmeester, go after cheaper local product Beauchemin.

Where do I get that money from? No Kovalev, no Koivu (although it would hurt me to lose Saku), no Dandenault, no Bouillon, no Brisebois and unfortunately no Schneider.
I would resign Schneider, provided it is for around 3 million. We need his offense from the blueline. Lang should be resigned for around 1.5 million. Can't see another team giving Lang big money being 39 and coming off a major injury. Kovalev should be kept around for around 4.5 million. Unless we go after a Gaborik or Havlak. Tanguay resigned...long term for around 5 million

Quote:
Originally Posted by bipolarhabfan View Post

Lineup:

Hossa-Lecavlier-Gaborik
Tanguay-Koivu-Kovalev

Markov-Komisarek
Hamrlik-Zubov

Price
Halak
If we don't resign Koivu and Komisarek probably could do something like that

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 04-06-2009 at 10:07 AM.
Old
04-05-2009, 04:54 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

hossa and franzen are both amazing players with size and skill. Either player would help the habs immensely and I dont think the wings will be able to retain both.

Whichever player becomes free, the habs should make a serious pitch for.

Old
04-05-2009, 05:37 PM
ReVeuF

Ok, ok so you guys want to give the moon to Franzen with his only one season of 30 goals and wanted to throw Ryder under a bus with his 2 x 30 goals seasons ?

Am-I correct ?

I am not that high on Franzen, he is ok but no way i would give more than 4 millions to him.

Old
04-05-2009, 05:42 PM
CrazyShea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post

What about Komo? If you don't plan on signing him and your letting 4 other d-man walk who do you expect to replace them? I would love to see your projected lineup for next year after the Lecavalier trade

Old
04-05-2009, 05:43 PM
La Grosse Tendresse

What?! You people would throw ridiculous amount at Franzen?!?

I know the guy can stand in front of a goal, but he's far from our superstar and would definately wouldn't be as effective in our system.

Old
04-05-2009, 05:47 PM
MonacoBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Grosse Tendresse View Post
What?! You people would throw ridiculous amount at Franzen?!?

I know the guy can stand in front of a goal, but he's far from our superstar and would definately wouldn't be as effective in our system.
He's not a superstar but he is far better than a guy like Holmstrom. Franzen can really snipe the puck and slap it, too. The guy is ridiculously fast for somebody his size. He is really strong on the puck and he handles it marvelously. Franzen's ability to screen the goalie is only a small part of his repertoire.

Old
04-05-2009, 06:12 PM
GNick42

Franzen's only had one really good offensive year. Last year he had 38 points. That's while playing on one of the best offensive teams in the game. Remember Zubrus playing with Ovechkin a few years back? Well, he now has a long term contract getting paid big money and scoring 38 points a season

Old
04-05-2009, 06:19 PM
MonacoBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNick42 View Post
Franzen's only had one really good offensive year. Last year he had 38 points. That's while playing on one of the best offensive teams in the game. Remember Zubrus playing with Ovechkin a few years back? Well, he's now getting paid around 5 million and scoring 14 goals a season
Franzen scored 27 goals last year, most of them at the end of the year. Since the end of the last year, he's been on fire. He's scored 33 goals this year.

Also, Zubrus makes 3.4 million and most Devils fans are okay with this considering the physical presence he brings. Not to mention he plays well with Elias.

Old
04-05-2009, 06:20 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Johan Franzen is for real IMO. Of course he came to the NHL and took 2-3 years before becoming what he is today, but look at Mark Streit.

Johan Franzen has potential to become a top 10 center in the league, top 20 player in the NHL.

I'd give him 6-6.5 millions.

Closed Thread