HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

My first league - stupid question, how do line changes work?

Old
04-05-2009, 03:27 PM
Devil Dancer

vCash: 500
My first league - stupid question, how do line changes work?

Early next month I will play in my first league game ever. I've been playing pickup regularly for almost a year and a half, so I'm ready for everything (I think) except line changes. So, my questions:

- How do line changes work for house league teams?
- Who calls for a line change?
- What happens if I run out of gas on a shift before someone calls for a change?
- If someone calls for a change should I get off imediately, or am I OK waiting for a safe opportunity?
- Is there anything else I need to know?

Thanks people.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 03:33 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

i dont now if you have a coach or not but

its simple

you get off the ice when you are tired, or if you hear someone on your bench yelling for a change.

dont get off the ice a dumb times, like when the puck is in your zone and your team doesnt have possesion and doesnt look like you are going to be able to get it down the ice so you can change

if you and your linemates have been out there for more than 45 seconds and you have the puck in your zone, get it to the redline and dump and change.

you change for your position. ex. you are a RWer, you change with the RWer on the ice and vice versa.

really though, dont get caught on a change. you have to be smart about it, if you are feeling like you are running out of steam, but maybe can go a few more seconds, but have a chance to change, change

you might have idiot teammates and they could call for you to change when you are not in a situation to change, so stay on the ice and change when you have the chance

final tip, when you get to the bench for a change, not everybody pays attention so as you are going to the bench yell something like "ONE, ONE, ONE" or "RW, RW"

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 04:03 PM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 View Post

its simple

you get off the ice when you are tired, or if you hear someone on your bench yelling for a change.

dont get off the ice a dumb times, like when the puck is in your zone and your team doesnt have possesion and doesnt look like you are going to be able to get it down the ice so you can change

if you and your linemates have been out there for more than 45 seconds and you have the puck in your zone, get it to the redline and dump and change.

you change for your position. ex. you are a RWer, you change with the RWer on the ice and vice versa.

really though, dont get caught on a change. you have to be smart about it, if you are feeling like you are running out of steam, but maybe can go a few more seconds, but have a chance to change, change

you might have idiot teammates and they could call for you to change when you are not in a situation to change, so stay on the ice and change when you have the chance

final tip, when you get to the bench for a change, not everybody pays attention so as you are going to the bench yell something like "ONE, ONE, ONE" or "RW, RW"
^^Beauty answer. ^^

SOmetimes you might not hear a change call. keep an eye on your other line mates. If they go off so do you. And most important, dont change till it is safe. Dump then change.

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 04:04 PM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
Thanks for the help. We don't have a bench coach, so our captain, who is also a player, runs the show, I guess. Does that change anything?

Old
04-05-2009, 04:07 PM
CanadaBacon

Not really. After a few shifts, you'll get the hang of it.

Enjoy, you'll have a great time.

Old
04-05-2009, 04:08 PM
AHF

Send a message via MSN to AHF
One little thing I'll mention...

After you change, don't hang around the door. Get your ass in the back of the line.

AHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 04:09 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
Thanks for the help. We don't have a bench coach, so our captain, who is also a player, runs the show, I guess. Does that change anything?
usually the coach calls for a change. if you dont have a coach your teammates on the bench are going to have to pay attention more.

Old
04-05-2009, 04:09 PM
IniNew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
No, it doesn't. Just have to be a bit more diplomatic about the changes with your other line counterparts, like changing before face offs etc, just ask if they are ready for a change or let them know you got one more shift in you before you're gassed etc.

IniNew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 04:19 PM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHF View Post
One little thing I'll mention...

After you change, don't hang around the door. Get your ass in the back of the line.

Old
04-05-2009, 06:11 PM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

Remember, players coming on the ice use the door, players coming off climb the boards.

There is nothing worse than a log jam at the door.

Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 06:45 PM
rinkrat22

I would disagree, with the above answer (harv's) usually the guys going on the ice jump the boards and the guys coming off use the door. unless your a little kid then everyone uses the gate. watch a game on tv you almost never see guys us the gate going on unless there is a whistle.

rinkrat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 06:57 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckleboy View Post
I would disagree, with the above answer (harv's) usually the guys going on the ice jump the boards and the guys coming off use the door. unless your a little kid then everyone uses the gate. watch a game on tv you almost never see guys us the gate going on unless there is a whistle.
no, other way around. what if 3 guys change at once? it is more important to get the guys ON the ice than off. if 3 forwards change and they all hop the boards at teh same time then the 3 guys going on the ice have to wait for each other to get on the ice.

the people getting on the ice should be ready to get on the ice. put a leg over the bench when you see a teammate coming this way you can hop on real quick

edit: i think i read teh posts wrong.
edit: yea i read teh posts wrong, i agree with buckleboy. i actually backed up what you said with my post

Last edited by Gunnar Stahl 30: 04-05-2009 at 07:04 PM.
Old
04-05-2009, 07:01 PM
SyracuseBulldogs*

Gotta go with buckleboy. I don't think I have ever seen more then an occasional player go over the boards to get back on the bench, while every shift I see at least two or three go over to get on the ice.

SyracuseBulldogs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 07:10 PM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

It doesn't make any sense for players coming on the ice to jump the boards. The risk something happening when a player jumps the boards if far greater than that of just stepping on the ice. You can almost get a running start if you use the door.

Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 07:23 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv View Post
It doesn't make any sense for players coming on the ice to jump the boards. The risk something happening when a player jumps the boards if far greater than that of just stepping on the ice. You can almost get a running start if you use the door.
if you arent balanced enough to land on your feet when hopping the boards onto the ice then yea, use the door. otherwise.......

think of it this way

like i said above, lets say 3 guys change at once, the way YOU have it would be those 3 guys would be on the bench before all 3 guys are on the ice. tahts not right. you want the guys going on teh ice, on the ice, before the players coming to teh bench are off.

THIS would create a log jam, especially because you are suppose to change for your position. the RWer may be the first one off the ice but the closest guy to the door could be your Centerman.

see what im saying? doing it that way is a good way to get a to get caught on a change

--
the way you should do it is the guys going ON TO THE ICE need to hop the boards. they should have a leg over the boards as the player coming off the ice approaches the bench. this way, if the first guy off the ice is the RWer and the RWer going on the ice is more toward teh middle of the bench, he hops teh bench to go on.

not to mention in most non rec leagues you dont get equal ice time, so your first line might be in the middle of the bench and the coach calls for them to go out. then what? they have to shimmy down to the bench? no they just hop the boards

i hope that made sense

Old
04-05-2009, 07:57 PM
wildebeest

Send a message via AIM to wildebeest Send a message via MSN to wildebeest Send a message via Yahoo to wildebeest
I hop over no matter what. I've never used the door going on or coming off.

At every NHL game I've ever been to, the defensemen use the door coming off most of the time while the dmen going on hop over. The forwards just do whatever they want. It's more important for the D to have a smooth and quick change.

If you're playing beer league, chances are you're not going to have somebody paying close enough attention to open the door for you every time, so be prepared to hop over. Just be careful not to cut somebody with your skate when you come over the boards.

wildebeest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 08:37 PM
DevilsFan38

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildebeest View Post
I hop over no matter what. I've never used the door going on or coming off.

At every NHL game I've ever been to, the defensemen use the door coming off most of the time while the dmen going on hop over. The forwards just do whatever they want. It's more important for the D to have a smooth and quick change.

If you're playing beer league, chances are you're not going to have somebody paying close enough attention to open the door for you every time, so be prepared to hop over. Just be careful not to cut somebody with your skate when you come over the boards.
I only started playing a few months ago, but this has been my experience as well. I play forward, and the only time I've ever used the door has been during a play stoppage. Same thing with the rest of the team - the forwards go over the boards, defense through the door.

And depending on the rink if the door latch sticks and doesn't like to open it may be faster going over (though I can't complain of that problem where I play).

DevilsFan38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 09:14 PM
CanadaBacon

I hop the boards both ways aswell. I have seen guys hop onto the ice or use the door and vice versa.

Do what ever makes you feel comfortable.

Last edited by CanadaBacon: 04-05-2009 at 09:30 PM.
Old
04-05-2009, 10:48 PM
Blackjack

A lot of good responses here. To the op, I would just add this; at lower level house leagues, line changes rarely happen on the fly. Teams just aren't that organized or aware.

Basically, just know you're taking when your on the bench; when that person skates toward the bench, throw your leg over the boards. When he gets to within 6 or 7 feet, jump on the ice and get moving. You are almost always out of position when you first hop the boards, so your first few strides should be explosive as you get to where you need to be. This will also set the tempo for your shift. If you get on the ice and just glide, you will probably not have a fast shift.

Don't worry too much about trying to change with the rest of your line. Just stay on the ice for one or two rushes, or 1 extended offensive/defensive zone series, and then get back to your bench. If the rest of your line changes a little bit before you or after you, it will all get straightened out at the next stoppage.

It works pretty much like open hockey.

Blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 10:48 PM
DJnet65

Usually league games change on the fly, so you need to know how your team will handle those line changes.

Your captain should explain how you will handle line changes. some teams will try to keep their lines intact meaning if you play forward you will always have the same linemate, same for defense.

Sometimes if you have an odd number of player or whatever you will use a rotation system when the the forwards will change in the order they come off. this means you won't have the same linemates every shift it also means you may not play the same forward position every shift.

The important thing is to communicate with your teammates on the bench and know who is changing for who and what position they are playing.

The one thing that can get confusing on line changes in when you take penalties. This can really mess up your lines and line changes.
So when your team takes a penalty you need to pay attention and communicate. You need to know who is sitting out on the line so you don't have too many men on the ice.

My best advice for you is to talk to your Captain and make sure he communicates to the rest of the team how line changes will work.

DJnet65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 11:07 PM
Devil Dancer

IRT Blackjack and DJnet65

Those were extremely helpful responses, so thanks. And IRT the board hopping conversation, I always go over the boards unless my hip/groin is acting up, which happens about once a month.

Old
04-06-2009, 04:10 AM
SirJW

One other thing, when killing a penalty and there is a stop in play but the clock will be running so take your times during the change.

SirJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 05:27 PM
Blackjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirJW View Post
One other thing, when killing a penalty and there is a stop in play but the clock will be running so take your times during the change.
Wow, ice time must be pretty scarce in L.A. I've never played in a league game with running time (except for special situations, like overtime or a score differential > 6.

Blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 05:35 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack View Post
Wow, ice time must be pretty scarce in L.A. I've never played in a league game with running time (except for special situations, like overtime or a score differential > 6.
yea most leagues are not like that. i remember when i was 6 or 7 years old we would go on the ice for two minute shifts and teh horn would blow but....

Old
04-06-2009, 05:45 PM
CptKirk
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Quote:
yea most leagues are not like that. i remember when i was 6 or 7 years old we would go on the ice for two minute shifts and teh horn would blow but....
Ones where I am are, until the last few minutes of the third with the game within two goals.

It's jsut your standard men's league.

And no horn will blow. You'll be in a men's league, you go off when you're tired, or when the other guys on your line change. It's that simple. And nobody should call for a change unless you've been out way too long.

CptKirk is offline   Reply With Quote