HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Would you throw filthy money at Franzen?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-05-2009, 09:58 PM
  #76
Matt714*
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Repentigny, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,528
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Matt714*
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoBlue View Post
Hossa is better and more consistent than Kovalev. If they can't get Hossa, obviously Kovalev is a good option. But Hossa is simply the better player.
He's definitely better, but I don't agree about consistency.

One of the main reason I don't mind parting ways with him, and the cap hit. He's alledgely taking a discount, because the Oilers were (and still are) interested in giving him over 8 million per year.


Last edited by Matt714*: 04-05-2009 at 10:03 PM.
Matt714* is offline  
Old
04-05-2009, 10:00 PM
  #77
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,443
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Franzen is also reported to be willing to take less to stay with the wings, or at least that's what some wings fans say.

Hossa might do the same depending on how close the wings get.

If Franzen was available as a FA He'd be on the top of the list, followed be Hossa, then bouwmeester, then Gaborik.
The only one of those 3 I'd take him ahead of is Gaborik...too fragile. I like Franzen but to suggest he is worth more than Hossa or Bouwmeester is downright comical.

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
04-05-2009, 10:04 PM
  #78
Matt714*
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Repentigny, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,528
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Matt714*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I highly doubt he will sing for anything close to a 3.5 mil cap hit...at the minimum it will be 4.5 on a 5-6 year deal...more if it's a 3-4 year deal. My guess is he signs for 20 mil 4 years.
The last years will be low-balled to lower the cap hit of the contract.

Matt714* is offline  
Old
04-05-2009, 10:06 PM
  #79
Kimota
Nation of Poutine
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 21,770
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Why would we trade Hamrlik? Yeah he probably makes a few thousand too many, but it's not like we can use that 5.5 on Bouwmeester. JB will end up with a team like Toronto for some obscene amount like 7 or 7.5 mil.
Because trading Hammer free even more money. Can you imagine what we could get if we don't sign any of our guys(except giving cheap money to Tang, Lang and Schneider) and trade Hammer? We would have the the space needed to do what we want, sign anybody(or get anybody via trades).

Kimota is offline  
Old
04-05-2009, 10:07 PM
  #80
Matt714*
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Repentigny, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,528
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Matt714*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Why would we trade Hamrlik? Yeah he probably makes a few thousand too many, but it's not like we can use that 5.5 on Bouwmeester. JB will end up with a team like Toronto for some obscene amount like 7 or 7.5 mil.
Bouwmeester got ridiculously overrated by armchair general managers before the trade-deadline.

Matt714* is offline  
Old
04-05-2009, 10:11 PM
  #81
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,443
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt714 View Post
The last years will be low-balled to lower the cap hit of the contract.
Unless he and his agent are complete morons, the cap hit will be at 4.4-4.5 mil at least. If you add 2 years at 3.5 and 3 mil to the back end of a 4 year 20 mil contract, you still have a 4.4 mil cap hit. Franzen being 30 means he'll want a nice contract as this will be the best money he'll make as an NHLer.

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
04-05-2009, 10:12 PM
  #82
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,443
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Because trading Hammer free even more money. Can you imagine what we could get if we don't sign any of our guys(except giving cheap money to Tang, Lang and Schneider) and trade Hammer? We would have the the space needed to do what we want, sign anybody(or get anybody via trades).
So what we'd have 25 mil in cap room? We won't get all the UFA's we want unless we overpay for them...so we'd end up in the same(or worse) situation than keeping Hamrlik. We already have tons of cap room...if Bouwmeester suddenly wants to come here for 6-6.5 mil, sure i'd do that...but it won't be that way.

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
04-05-2009, 10:14 PM
  #83
DaHabMan
Registered User
 
DaHabMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Lasalle
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,240
vCash: 500
hes 30 years old and rarely plays against the oppositions best defenseman (5 on 5)....hes good but hes been able to produce because hes insulated by playing with not good but elite level players. He does not have to be the go-to guy and doesnt have the pressure that comes with it. If he comes here as a first-line center, i really think hes gonna fail. But as a second line center......

DaHabMan is offline  
Old
04-05-2009, 10:14 PM
  #84
Matt714*
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Repentigny, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,528
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Matt714*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Unless he and his agent are complete morons, the cap hit will be at 4.4-4.5 mil at least. If you add 2 years at 3.5 and 3 mil to the back end of a 4 year 20 mil contract, you still have a 4.4 mil cap hit. Franzen being 30 means he'll want a nice contract as this will be the best money he'll make as an NHLer.
He mentioned that he's taking a discount because he wants to play with winners, and turns out one-fourth of the roster is composed of grumpy old Swedes.

Franzen is never going to have 5 million, unless he hits the free agent market and the perennial free agent trigger-happy general managers have cap space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHabMan View Post
hes good but hes been able to produce because hes insulated by playing with not good but elite level players.
The Mule is one of the best clutch scorer in the league, he doesn't have over 30 goals because of Samuelsson who hasn't yet found out that to score you need to put the puck in the net, and not hit the goalie's jersey logo repeatedly with surgical precision.


Last edited by Habs10Habs: 04-06-2009 at 10:11 AM.
Matt714* is offline  
Old
04-05-2009, 10:35 PM
  #85
Sined
The AndroidBugler!
 
Sined's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,410
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt714 View Post
The Mule is one of the best clutch scorer in the league, he doesn't have over 30 goals because of Samuelsson who hasn't yet found out that to score you need to put the puck in the net, and not hit the goalie's jersey logo repeatedly with surgical precision.
That is ****ing hilarious.

Sined is offline  
Old
04-05-2009, 10:38 PM
  #86
Redux91
I do Three bullets.
 
Redux91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Montreal West Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,383
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
We could keep Schneider and Lang for cheap and I don't see Tanguay asking for the moon. Also, I suggest trading Hammer(5.5) in the off season.
i agree with ALL of that

but i just dont see who in the right world will take hammer at 5.5

Redux91 is offline  
Old
04-05-2009, 11:41 PM
  #87
DaHabMan
Registered User
 
DaHabMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Lasalle
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,240
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt714 View Post
The Mule is one of the best clutch scorer in the league, he doesn't have over 30 goals because of Samuelsson who hasn't yet found out that to score you need to put the puck in the net, and not hit the goalie's jersey logo repeatedly with surgical precision.
double lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux91 View Post
i agree with ALL of that

but i just dont see who in the right world will take hammer at 5.5
i think we should keep him, sure he had a down year this year but im sure he can rebound next year.


Last edited by Habs10Habs: 04-06-2009 at 10:09 AM.
DaHabMan is offline  
Old
04-06-2009, 12:42 AM
  #88
Frankenheimer
Registered User
 
Frankenheimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: MTL
Posts: 1,896
vCash: 500
I like the direction our team is going in right now. I don't want a bunch of overpriced mercenaries, especially not Hossa. Loyalty should count for something.

Frankenheimer is offline  
Old
04-06-2009, 01:08 AM
  #89
Westcoasthabsfan
Registered User
 
Westcoasthabsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: In Pandoras Box
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,259
vCash: 500
NOPE, I have had enough of the euros....how bout some good ole canadian boys

Westcoasthabsfan is offline  
Old
04-06-2009, 06:00 AM
  #90
PinchedNerve
Registered User
 
PinchedNerve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 295
vCash: 500
yes, mr. cherry

PinchedNerve is offline  
Old
04-06-2009, 06:24 AM
  #91
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,443
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt714 View Post
He mentioned that he's taking a discount because he wants to play with winners, and turns out one-fourth of the roster is composed of grumpy old Swedes.

Franzen is never going to have 5 million, unless he hits the free agent market and the perennial free agent trigger-happy general managers have cap space.
As I said, he may take a home town discount...but that doesn't mean 60% reduction. At the MINIMUM he'll be a 4.4-4.5 mil cap hit. Hossa will get 6.5-7 mil.

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
04-06-2009, 10:05 AM
  #92
Matt714*
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Repentigny, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,528
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Matt714*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
As I said, he may take a home town discount...but that doesn't mean 60% reduction. At the MINIMUM he'll be a 4.4-4.5 mil cap hit. Hossa will get 6.5-7 mil.
Franzen will have around 4 million cap hit, maximum; or Holland will replace him with one of the talented Scandinavian prospects that keep popping up since he made a blood pact with Loki. One unnamed NHL agent mentioned that the cap hit would be around 3.7, since Lidström's contract is coming off the books next year, and he'll either retire or re-sign for a marginal sum like Stevie.

I don't think Hossa will be resigned. We need the cap space to sign a goalie, and according to Conklin's latest performance, it won't be him, nor Howard, because of the goalie curse.

Khabibulin and Roloson are past their prime, and grumpy old men. That fits Detroit's goalie standards perfectly.

Matt714* is offline  
Old
04-06-2009, 10:42 AM
  #93
Mustafa*
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Martinique
Posts: 3,407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
Ok, rather then trading for Lecavalier, I'm thinking we can get something (maybe not as good) equally talented and at a cheaper price:
I get your point and i think it's a good idea to go get Franzen. But in no way we can compare Franzen talent to the one of Lecavalier, everything Franzen do, Vincent do it way better, and in some case he does it so much better than it's of another nature.

But yeah i'd like us to go get Franzen. I dont know how much he would cost, it's always dificult to estimate especialy so far from july 1st.

Mustafa* is offline  
Old
04-06-2009, 10:52 AM
  #94
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Western Canuckland
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,951
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
When will Detroit pony up and pay for a goalie. Hopefully this year it will bite them.

toshiro is offline  
Old
04-06-2009, 10:42 PM
  #95
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt714 View Post
He's definitely better, but I don't agree about consistency.

One of the main reason I don't mind parting ways with him, and the cap hit. He's alledgely taking a discount, because the Oilers were (and still are) interested in giving him over 8 million per year.
Really? You sign Kovalev and we'll sign Hossa. Deal?

Habsterix* is offline  
Old
04-11-2009, 10:26 AM
  #96
Mathletic
Registered User
 
Mathletic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: St-Augustin, Québec
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,844
vCash: 500
Franzen resigns for 10 years in Detroit

rds.ca / tsn.ca


Last edited by Mathletic: 04-11-2009 at 10:44 AM.
Mathletic is offline  
Old
04-11-2009, 10:30 AM
  #97
BLONG7
Registered User
 
BLONG7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 12,363
vCash: 500
10 Years??? Wow...probably a 3.75 cap hit though...

BLONG7 is offline  
Old
04-11-2009, 10:35 AM
  #98
canadianeh
Registered User
 
canadianeh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 507
vCash: 500
I'm confused...


Where is Detroit coming up with all this cap space?

They are already over next year projected cap no? Now they sign Franzen super long term?

They are putting themselves in a dangerous position for 3-4 years down the road. They could become a 2 player team.

and what about in 3 years if a couple of these guys fall off in play? they will never be able to deal them.

canadianeh is offline  
Old
04-11-2009, 10:42 AM
  #99
Pascal
Registered User
 
Pascal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,467
vCash: 500
wow the Wings really get all the discounts/great terms on their players. Tho I dunno about 10 yrs to Franzen.

Pascal is offline  
Old
04-11-2009, 10:54 AM
  #100
TheCH*
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,060
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianeh View Post
I'm confused...


Where is Detroit coming up with all this cap space?

They are already over next year projected cap no? Now they sign Franzen super long term?

They are putting themselves in a dangerous position for 3-4 years down the road. They could become a 2 player team.

and what about in 3 years if a couple of these guys fall off in play? they will never be able to deal them.
meh its seems like no matter what they do its always works out well for them.

TheCH* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:13 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.