HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks sign Evan Oberg (Official)

Old
04-06-2009, 12:31 AM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sports Gorilla View Post
I'm not saying there is no chance, I'm just saying keep your expectations low.
I'm saying there is no chance whatsoever he'll play an NHL game. I think your expectations are way too high for this kid that wasn't even drafted. You're putting too much pressure on him setting yourself up for a massive failure when he inevitably heads over to Europe.

Your expectations are far too high.

Drop the Sopel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 12:56 AM
Bubbles
Tank for Tyler2016

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
I'm saying there is no chance whatsoever he'll play an NHL game. I think your expectations are way too high for this kid that wasn't even drafted. You're putting too much pressure on him setting yourself up for a massive failure when he inevitably heads over to Europe.

Your expectations are far too high.
I'm not going with the "no chance" thing, but I agree with you that expectations are too high.

I'm all for organizational depth and player development, but this sudden craziness for college free agents underscores that vast majority that don't pan out.

Bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 01:03 AM
kmad
Riot Survivor

His name anagrammed is GAVE BONER.

Just so you all know.

kmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 01:11 AM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carcillo View Post
His name anagrammed is GAVE BONER.

Just so you all know.
That explains why the scouting staff had such a major hard on for this guy since last summer.

Sorry.

Drop the Sopel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 01:19 AM
Respect Your Edler
Thank You 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
I'm not going with the "no chance" thing, but I agree with you that expectations are too high.

I'm all for organizational depth and player development, but this sudden craziness for college free agents underscores that vast majority that don't pan out.
I expect about as much out of him as I do from a guy like Ellington. The difference being is one is undrafted and one was a 2nd round pick. I agree that you can't expect too much from one of these guys, but collectively they should give your organization something. The fact that this is the 2nd sought after NCAA player signed by Gillis is very encouraging.

Respect Your Edler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 01:22 AM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
That explains why the scouting staff had such a major hard on for this guy since last summer.
College competition was stiff, but Oberg didn't let his game go limp.

Old
04-06-2009, 01:30 AM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

vCash: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
Hockeydb has him at 6'0, 165lbs, so he was probably tiny when he was draft eligible. He's obviously gained a couple inches and about 15lbs since then so suddenly his frame looks like it's passable for the NHL. A summer of working with Dave Gagner and he should be in much better shape.
Wow, thats very light because I believe those #s are inflated so maybe he was closer to 5'11 155. I met most of the canucks one year at this charity event and just shook my head at the height and size some of them were supposed to be (although Pyatt sure looked like 6'5). Weaver for example, didn't look an inch taller than 5'8 but is listed as 5'10

Outside99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 01:36 AM
Saren
Multi Pass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outside99 View Post
Wow, thats very light because I believe those #s are inflated so maybe he was closer to 5'11 155. I met most of the canucks one year at this charity event and just shook my head at the height and size some of them were supposed to be (although Pyatt sure looked like 6'5). Weaver for example, didn't look an inch taller than 5'8 but is listed as 5'10
It's very common for NHL'ers to add an extra inch or two to their height - they do it in the minors and major juniors as well. A friend of mine in the BCHL is listed 2 inches taller than he actually is.

Saren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 02:24 AM
windflare

Folks, do read carefully. He's 6-2, 180lbs now. The HockeyDB figures are his draft numbers - the correct figures are posted by pits from McKeens.

windflare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 03:00 AM
nucks_07

just checked bieksa's stats as a sophmore he had 5 goals and 10 assists in 40 games also a -13... so who knows solid pickup tho forsure nice to get one of the younger college players

nucks_07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 05:07 AM
El Duderino

Quote:
Originally Posted by nucks_07 View Post
just checked bieksa's stats as a sophmore he had 5 goals and 10 assists in 40 games also a -13... so who knows solid pickup tho forsure nice to get one of the younger college players
Stats can never really tell the full story on their own. We need more context to make these stats useful. Did he play on a good team? Were his assists caused due to his ability to create plays or were they the result of merely feeding others who did all the hard work? Against what lines was he put out against? There are plenty more questions one must ask, but I wont because its 3 in the ****ing morning and I just finished an assignment.

I'm cautiously optimistic about this guy... still don't really know enough to see if he'll do any damage at the NHL level. He's still young though, so there is a chance that he improves over the next few years.

El Duderino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 05:51 AM
RTN
Be Kind, Rewind

You guys need to remember there's only 7 rounds now. If this guy was passed on back when they had 12+ rounds, then I'd say he'd have no chance. Now that there's only 7, there'll always be a couple guys who get missed, but have decent talent.

RTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 11:09 AM
Free Torts

vCash: 883
Send a message via MSN to Free Torts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skanker View Post
You guys need to remember there's only 7 rounds now. If this guy was passed on back when they had 12+ rounds, then I'd say he'd have no chance. Now that there's only 7, there'll always be a couple guys who get missed, but have decent talent.
...like Adam Oates?

Free Torts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 11:31 AM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by timw33 View Post
I don't think anyones expectations are high.

Its an essentially zero risk move with a potential for a low to low-medium reward.
He could also be viewed as a tradable commodity in the future.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 11:42 AM
big boi

Quote:
Apparantly listed generously though...2 inches over actual... "It's very common for NHL'ers to add an extra inch or two"

so...

big boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 11:59 AM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skanker View Post
That's not nearly as bad as it sounds. Sure there's 5 less rounds but there's also a lot more teams picking than when it was 12 rounds. Looking at the numbers, there was 211 players drafted last year. If you got back to say... 1991, with 12 rounds there was 264 players drafted. So it has been cut back, but only by a round or two.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 12:01 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outside99 View Post
sounds like a no brainer, young D with good #s for $65K?
Does anyone know who is finding and schmoozing these guys to sign with the canucks?
I'm wondering that rather than someone 'schmoozing' with these college kids, if it isn't more about Gillis' emphasis on going all out on player development combined with how professionally the Moose are run. If I'm some unremarkable but still sought after FA prospect and I know one team is willing to invest heavily in my development, I'd probably go with them too.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 01:36 PM
1025*

Regardless of this kid's potential of making it or not.

We have added one more potential to our prospects. That's the important part. More competition between the young Ds could lead to better development.

1025* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 01:36 PM
RTN
Be Kind, Rewind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Pedersen View Post
...like Adam Oates?
NCAA wasn't that well scouted in the early 80s compared to today. Oates carried a team to the national championships, he was sure to get an offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
That's not nearly as bad as it sounds. Sure there's 5 less rounds but there's also a lot more teams picking than when it was 12 rounds. Looking at the numbers, there was 211 players drafted last year. If you got back to say... 1991, with 12 rounds there was 264 players drafted. So it has been cut back, but only by a round or two.
That's true. 9 rounds in the early 2000s is a better comparable.

I think my point still stands though, a lot of teams would be taking chances on a lot of these guys in the 8th and 9th.

RTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 01:51 PM
djp4516

Hey guys, I'm a Wild fan, but I attend UMD and know Evan Oberg. I've seen him play every single home game at UMD and let me tell you, this kid is a great player and a great guy off the ice. Most hockey players here are really big headed and have huge egos but Oberg was in one of my small classes as a freshman (we are the same year) and was nothing but helpful.

As far as hockey senses go, he's a very cerebral player. He's not a flashy skater or flashy player, but he is good in transition, has a great shot, and is a sound positional defensemen.

Needs to bulk up, but that will come in an NHL conditioning program. He'll play in the NHL someday. Great signing. I was clamoring for the Wild to give him a shot but it looks like he chose to play in his native Canada.

Congrats to you guys for the signing and congrats to Evan.

djp4516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 01:54 PM
Payaso619*

I'm not sure how I feel about the signing because I don't know much about him, but if anyone can let me know on what type of potential in the NHL Oberg's might have then that would be appreciated.

Payaso619* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 01:58 PM
KDizzle

Quote:
You could even say Oberg has an erect penis.

I think I need to work on this game

KDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 02:09 PM
Lard_Lad

Quote:
Originally Posted by djp4516 View Post
Hey guys, I'm a Wild fan, but I attend UMD and know Evan Oberg. I've seen him play every single home game at UMD and let me tell you, this kid is a great player and a great guy off the ice. Most hockey players here are really big headed and have huge egos but Oberg was in one of my small classes as a freshman (we are the same year) and was nothing but helpful.
Good to hear, thanks. What would you guess his actual height and weight are, since you've seen him off the ice?

Lard_Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 02:20 PM
pitseleh

College UFAs are definitely long shots but there have been enough players to make an impact through that route in the last 5 or so years to make it a worthwhile investment. Even if only 20% of the players that are signed end up making an impact in the NHL it's a pretty good investment if you're only guaranteeing them AHL money if they are in the minors. If you hit on one diamond in the rough in five years like a Dustin Penner and are getting value on their contracts for a year or two while they are on your NHL roster you're adding a tremendous amount of value to your team.

Just in the last five years or so Chris Kunitz, Dustin Penner, Curtis Glencross, Ryan Shannon, Ryan Carter, Andrew Ebbett, Randy Jones, Ted Purcell, Pat Rissmiller, Jed Ortmeyer, Jesse Winchester, and Andy Wozniewski have all had at least half a season at the NHL. Half those guys are just depth fodder, but if you get one of the quality players it can be a huge boon to your organizational depth.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 02:40 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDizzle View Post
You could even say Oberg has an erect penis.

I think I need to work on this game

Yeah, that was a bit premature.