HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

I just tried the new FBV skate sharpening

Old
03-28-2009, 12:00 AM
CanadaBacon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer44 View Post
I disagree. Better skaters will definitely feel bad sharpenings. Even the slightest change will throw someone off.

Someone who knows how to skate, i mean really skate, a slight change wont throw them off. An average skater maybe, a bad skater probably.

"better" skaters know how to compensate. which makes them a "better" skater.

Last edited by CanadaBacon: 03-28-2009 at 12:02 AM. Reason: Spelling is ****
CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2009, 09:01 AM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
True, BUT they dont make you a worse player. You might notice the **** job, but you will compensate. Unless it is a really BAD, BAD job.
some guys do, some guys don't from what I've noticed.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2009, 09:33 AM
TBLfan

Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedskater View Post
So, what you are saying is you never had your skates sharpened there. And the two people you know who "looked" into getting their skates proflied, somehow got recommended a similar profile, but didn't get their skates done either. Hearsay,... wow, that gives me a lot of confidence that you know what you are talking about.

I had my skates done there 6 yrs ago and it made a huge difference, with a regular radius. A couple of yrs ago I changed to a combination profile and loved it. I plan on getting a FBV soon. I have nothing but great things to say about No-Icing, as does basically my whole team who sends there skates there. When I saw your post, I figured it was someone who never used their service
No, what I'm saying is that a guy is telling guys he has never seen skate to make drastic changes in their profiles for no apparent reason.

Would you let someone tell you what stick to buy based on a questionnaire?

Link to MSH
Here is a thread where a player trying to get better has had his progress stumble, so to speak, because of one of these great changes. As a coach, I don't appreciate when people give advice that hurts a developing player and that is why Bob will never have my business.

Last edited by TBLfan: 03-28-2009 at 09:48 AM.
TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2009, 05:59 PM
CanadaBacon

I dont know, i would never get a profile done without knowing what i want (never mind a piece of paper telling them). BUT, if you dont know, what can you do?

I cant remember how i first got profiled, but i know what i want and it doesnt matter what they tell me. This is what i want done, this is what you are going to do.

Once again, if you dont know what you want, what do you do? i honestly have no answer besides trial and error.

Old
03-29-2009, 06:00 PM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vakar Lajos View Post
some guys do, some guys don't from what I've noticed.

I guess, everyone is diffrent.

Old
04-05-2009, 11:08 PM
SWM

Myself and my girls like the 100/50. My Bantam age son skated one game on it, today and skated yesterday on the 90/75.
He likes the 90/75 more, saying it is faster.
I think that is true for me too but I just never got use to the unstable feeling at times.
No one cared for the 100/75, too much edge.

SWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 07:11 AM
TBLfan

I've found it to be rather stable. I was coming from 3/4" (to 90/75 FBV, "equivalent" of 5/8) and found the edges definitely had a lot more bite but it felt more stable in every way.

Old
04-06-2009, 07:42 AM
vivianmb

what type of ice are you guys used to regularly skating on?
up here most ice is hard and fat, does the southern weather affect the ice quality or not?

vivianmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 10:04 AM
TBLfan

It can. The humidity can make the ice soft and slow down the ability for the ice to freeze. Generally the ice is rather hard at the better rinks around here unless it's been hot and rainy or there has been a lot of traffic in and out of the rink(opening and closing of the doors). Really, it all depends on the facility and the staff at the facility.

Old
04-06-2009, 10:41 AM
vivianmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLfan View Post
It can. The humidity can make the ice soft and slow down the ability for the ice to freeze. Generally the ice is rather hard at the better rinks around here unless it's been hot and rainy or there has been a lot of traffic in and out of the rink(opening and closing of the doors). Really, it all depends on the facility and the staff at the facility.
on the faster ice surfaces, do you see much of a difference between the
fbv and say 3/4-7/8"?

vivianmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 11:18 AM
TBLfan

I've been up to 1" and the glide is better. The bite feels more like 1/2" to me. Quite literally about 3 or 4 strides and I can glide around the rink, easily.

That is the same no matter what the ice conditions. Soft ice is still soft and hard ice is still hard. The problem is that you don't have as many adjustments but it wasn't an issue adjusting.

Speed control was the biggest adjustment since you carry soo much speed, when you stop skating you keep going so you have to actually use your edges to slow. You'll probably find yourself coming up on defensemen when you mean to leave some space(to accept a pass as a trailer, for example).

Old
07-09-2009, 01:51 AM
walterk

Which FBV Option do you find has the best glide (speed)

Has anyone tried most or all of the FBV options (90/50, 90/75, 100/50, 100/75) and compared which one has the most glide & the best straight line speed?

After over a month of use we like the 100/50 for its quick cornering and good grip. We found the 90/75 loses much of the edges after 1 day of use but it gives the feeling of floating on the ice. Stoning helps to partially restore the edge.

In theory I thought the 100/50 would be the best for glide but others have told me they find the 90/50 the fastest.

Comments?

walterk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2009, 04:43 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
I want to try it.

For he uninformed, it's explained in this thread on mod squad:
http://www.modsquadhockey.com/forums...howtopic=42307

basically, the wheel is dressed with a diamond cutter spinner that can have any shape, not just the arc of a circle. So they cut it so the bottom of the blade is flat in the middle with narrow edges on both sides that gives you the grip of a 3/8" sharpening, but the glide of a 2" radius.
Awesomeness ... I wonder how this would be for guys like me who use a more shallow than normal hollow?

Interesting, maybe I'll get a chance to try this out someday if it shows up around here or something.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote