HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

#79: Penguins @ Panthers | Sunday - April 5, 2009 | 5:00 PM (ET)

Old
04-05-2009, 09:38 PM
Saved*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeTANGled58 View Post
i didn't see the game today (school)

but all this worry doesn't seem needed. our next two games are against TB and NYI. the two worst teams in the east. as long as the pens don't assume those are wins and actually play we should get at least 3 of the four points. i see no reason to panic. but thats just my opinion.
I'm pretty sure 2 points clinch. Any win clinches a spot.

Saved* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 09:47 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katawah View Post
I'm assuming the players are basically doing what they are being told to do .. and it seems as if they are being told to stay mostly stationary .. they apparently aren't being encouraged to move much.

They need to be working the give-and-go .. and taking it to the net .. and setting screens. They apparently aren't being told to do this. They just throw it around the perimeter .. basically the same damn crap they've been doing for a long, long time under Yeo.
This isn't basketball Katawah. How in the *** world would you like Sid to set a screen for Gonch? Florida's PK was simply a box but they apply pressure that caused us to make terrible passes. The way to keep the pressure off is to move and send 2 guys to the net to keep 2 defenders honest. Then you have a 3 on 2 which is broken down into two 2 on 1's. If they pressure Gonch, then the pass goes to Sid & he walks out and shoots quickly. We'll have 2 guys sitting in front for rebounds. It's basic hockey. Sid & Gonch were holding on to the puck looking for the pretty play.

Also, Letang has to move as well to keep the backside box defender honest too. The bottom defender can't stop a back door cut AND kunitz in front of the net so that high guy has to keep watching Tangers. Tonight, they basically ignored Letang and sent 1 guy on Sid & 1 guy on Gonch to pressure. Geno & Letang were sitting around not moving. It's player execution.

A Coach sets up a basic look on the power play and gives the plays options based on what the defenders are doing. It's up to the players to execute. You can ***** and moan as much as you want but it's not 1 persons fault. You can use Yeo as your scapegoat.. but in reality you just are forcing blame onto 1 person.

ColePens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 09:48 PM
Katawah

Quote:
Originally Posted by HURAKAN View Post
Can't take a win for granted over these final 3 games .. not at all.

I sense a collapse of our top two lines. This could be disastrous. There's something wrong with Malkin, emotionally/psychologically/mentally .. and it's affecting the team now. (I think). "Bad mojo" all of a sudden. Quite unexpected and sudden. It needs to be addressed and resolved .. like really soon.

Hey .. I hope Malkin and Gonchar snap out of it Tuesday evening. But if they don't .. we could be in big trouble. Just my gut feeling.

Katawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 10:21 PM
Katawah

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
This isn't basketball Katawah. How in the *** world would you like Sid to set a screen for Gonch? Florida's PK was simply a box but they apply pressure that caused us to make terrible passes. The way to keep the pressure off is to move and send 2 guys to the net to keep 2 defenders honest. Then you have a 3 on 2 which is broken down into two 2 on 1's. If they pressure Gonch, then the pass goes to Sid & he walks out and shoots quickly. We'll have 2 guys sitting in front for rebounds. It's basic hockey. Sid & Gonch were holding on to the puck looking for the pretty play.

Also, Letang has to move as well to keep the backside box defender honest too. The bottom defender can't stop a back door cut AND kunitz in front of the net so that high guy has to keep watching Tangers. Tonight, they basically ignored Letang and sent 1 guy on Sid & 1 guy on Gonch to pressure. Geno & Letang were sitting around not moving. It's player execution.

A Coach sets up a basic look on the power play and gives the plays options based on what the defenders are doing. It's up to the players to execute. You can ***** and moan as much as you want but it's not 1 persons fault. You can use Yeo as your scapegoat.. but in reality you just are forcing blame onto 1 person.
We are at 17% over the course of this season. A lousy 17%.. !!!

OK .. granted, Gonchar was out for a long time, but we still had Whitney and Letang and Goligoski and Eaton. Now if it's merely "execution" .. then how could players as talented as ours be at 17% ..? That doesn't make sense over an entire season. Surely they could have "spontaneously executed" well enough to be at slightly below 25% without any coaching at all .. if they had actually been free (and encouraged) to do so .. I would think. So .. it would appear that "something or someone" was holding them back from even doing what they could have done "coaching themselves".

Well .. that's my line of thinking on this, anyway.

Old
04-05-2009, 10:33 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katawah View Post
We are at 17% over the course of this season. A lousy 17%.. !!!

OK .. granted, Gonchar was out for a long time, but we still had Whitney and Letang and Goligoski and Eaton. Now if it's merely "execution" .. then how could players as talented as ours be at 17% ..? That doesn't make sense over an entire season. Surely they could have "spontaneously executed" well enough to be at slightly below 25% without any coaching at all .. if they had actually been free (and encouraged) to do so .. I would think. So .. it would appear that "something or someone" was holding them back from even doing what they could have done "coaching themselves".

Well .. that's my line of thinking on this, anyway.

You make no sense though.

Last year we were ranked 4th overall in PP %. Who was the coach? Who were the players? What was the power play set up? Go back and watch tape and write down the differences you see and how players are reacting in the same situation this year.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/teamstats.htm...ewName=summary

Old
04-05-2009, 10:56 PM
SirJordanStaal11*

I'm not too worried. We will make the playoffs and probably lose in the first round, which is what I have been expecting even despite this run. I hate to be a downer, but I am trying to be realistic. We are going to be playing a really tough team even if we somehow finish fourth or fifth.

And the other bright side I take from potentially finishing sixth or seventh is that it means a higher draft pick. That might mean the difference between getting either Ryan Ellis or Zach Kassian or whoever else you want to throw in there.

SirJordanStaal11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 11:01 PM
SirJordanStaal11*

Quote:

Last year we were ranked 4th overall in PP %. Who was the coach? Who were the players? What was the power play set up? Go back and watch tape and write down the differences you see and how players are reacting in the same situation this year.

One big difference IMO is that Malkin is no longer scoring powerplay goals. Last year he was a huge weapon for us. This year he has become more of a playmaker instead of the one-timer menace that he used to be.

I still despise our setup. I look at a team like the Blues who have a great powerplay despite not having a ton of talent and the reason they have a great powerplay is great puck movement, puck support and player movement.

We can move the puck as well as anybody, but that matters little when none of the players move. Bylsma seems to be obsessed with net front presence and that is only part of the problem. It has helped a lot having a Kunitz or Guerin there to bang in the rebounds that we do create when we actually get shots through, but our powerplay won't ever truly be clicking like it should until the players learn to move around. Whether that is a coaching issue or a player issue, I don't know.

SirJordanStaal11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 11:24 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilance View Post
One big difference IMO is that Malkin is no longer scoring powerplay goals. Last year he was a huge weapon for us. This year he has become more of a playmaker instead of the one-timer menace that he used to be.

I still despise our setup. I look at a team like the Blues who have a great powerplay despite not having a ton of talent and the reason they have a great powerplay is great puck movement, puck support and player movement.

We can move the puck as well as anybody, but that matters little when none of the players move. Bylsma seems to be obsessed with net front presence and that is only part of the problem. It has helped a lot having a Kunitz or Guerin there to bang in the rebounds that we do create when we actually get shots through, but our powerplay won't ever truly be clicking like it should until the players learn to move around. Whether that is a coaching issue or a player issue, I don't know.
Ryan Malone played the same role as Kunitz is this year. It's virtually the same strong side power play.

If the players aren't executing.. then why do we all jump down Yeo's throat 24/7? I'm not saying Yeo should be off the hook for some of the blame.. but Katawah unfairly blames individuals w/o anything to back himself up with.

Old
04-06-2009, 12:04 AM
AK

Quote:
Originally Posted by HURAKAN View Post
Any win or Panthers loss, in fact.

I'd almost like to fall to 8th and play Boston in the first round, for some reason.

Once the playoffs start, anything can happen.

Pens fans should know this better than anybody.

AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 06:33 AM
HispA

I'll take a loss against the Panthers any day if it costs Rags the playoffs. We can take any team in the conference but if I can avoid one it has to be Carolina who we cant face so it wont be a problem. (In the first round)

HispA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 07:25 AM
Penguins23
Le Magnifique

I would still like to see Guerin in Kunitz's spot once in a while on the PP.

04-06-2009, 07:45 AM
Katawah

Quote:

My answer to you is .. that the opposition has adjusted to what we did last season. But we .. on the contrary .. have not countered .. we have not countered their adjustment. And it is the coaching's responsibility to make adjustments and counter-adjustments such as in this situation.

Again; we're talking an entire season here .. of a lousy 17%. This just cannot be the fault of "poor execution" when we have players as talented as we do. This is clearly a systemic problem .. which means it's the system. If you can't understand this, then I don't know what else to say.

Old
04-06-2009, 07:45 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguins23 View Post
I would still like to see Guerin in Kunitz's spot once in a while on the PP.
I'd rather see Staal on the first PP in front of the net...

He is a big body who is playing well and scoring a lot of his goals from 15 feet out. He also could be a long term fixture there, so it only makes sense to give him a shot now.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 08:06 AM
Katawah

Quote:

Players really tend to stick to their habits .. and/or they stick to the system being used. They are creatures of habit.

Therefore .. in order to makes changes such as to a powerplay, the players need specific impetus and explanation, communication, and direction/instruction from the coaching. Otherwise, the players are going to just stay with what they've been doing. In this case, they aren't going to "start moving around" without being explicitly coached to do so.

Old
04-06-2009, 08:16 AM
Katawah

Quote:
I'm not too worried. We will make the playoffs and probably lose in the first round, which is what I have been expecting even despite this run. I hate to be a downer, but I am trying to be realistic. We are going to be playing a really tough team even if we somehow finish fourth or fifth.

And the other bright side I take from potentially finishing sixth or seventh is that it means a higher draft pick. That might mean the difference between getting either Ryan Ellis or Zach Kassian or whoever else you want to throw in there.
Those really are low expectations.

We have exceptional talent. The reason we went on the big run is because we finally got rid of Therrien, and got a head coach who at least encourages and allows us to make use of our talents and abilities, rather than holding us back.

Old
04-06-2009, 03:26 PM
shveik

Was reading about the Crosby-Ballard fight, and it looks to me from the replays that the hit on Malkin was indeed very low:

Attachment 33162

Last edited by shveik: 05-18-2012 at 01:09 AM.
shveik is offline   Reply With Quote