HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Hartnell and Giroux miss practice Monday but expected to play Tuesday

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-06-2009, 02:19 PM
  #1
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul
 
Sawdalite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Girouxsalem
Posts: 5,276
vCash: 500
Hartnell and Giroux miss practice Monday but expected to play Tuesday

There is talk on Hockeybuzz about Hartnell and Giroux missing today's (Monday's) practice. They are speaking of Hartnell having Conjunctivitis (AKA: Pink Eye). I see nothing on Flyers website. Anybody have any news.

BTW: I am not starting a rumor here and have no personal knowledge... other than what I read lurking on Hockeybuzz. I hope it is all BS.


Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 04-06-2009 at 02:40 PM.
Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 02:25 PM
  #2
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars
 
MiamiScreamingEagles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 38,950
vCash: 1186
Confirmed...

http://flyers.nhl.com/team/app/?serv...LPage&id=18891

Quote:
Hartnell, Giroux miss practice - Two notable absences from today's practice were winger Scott Hartnell and center Claude Giroux. Although they were both in attendance for the team photo, Hartnell sat out with a case of pink eye while Giroux had a doctor's appointment.

Stevens expects both to be in the lineup on Tuesday.


Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 04-06-2009 at 02:38 PM.
MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 02:51 PM
  #3
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul
 
Sawdalite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Girouxsalem
Posts: 5,276
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Thanks, I am new here and just learning the ropes on all aspects of the site... such as posting rules



Shortly after creating this post I found the confirmation on their 'On The Fly' section of the Flyers website. http://flyers.nhl.com/team/app/?serv...LPage&id=18891

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 02:56 PM
  #4
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars
 
MiamiScreamingEagles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 38,950
vCash: 1186
Welcome to the site.

Here is more on Giroux from Tim P's column:

http://philadelphia.comcastsportsnet...082&feedID=695
Quote:


Claude Giroux (acid reflux) and Scott Hartnell missed practice. Stevens expects both in the lineup against Florida. Giroux has been having stomach issues for two weeks. He underwent a gastroscope procedure Monday to check for an ulcer; it was negative. Giroux admitted he’s had some pain, although you’d never know it from the way he’s been playing. He’s on Nexium for now. “I’ll be fine tomorrow,” Giroux said. “I’m taking medicine and feeling better now.” He said he likes to eat cheesesteaks, which might have caused the problem. “He’s going to be okay,” Stevens said. Too much pressure from the coach? “Good question. He can probably answer it better than me.” … Team captain Mike Richards says he loves this time of year. “We’re in a great position right now to help ourselves get home-ice advantage,” he said. “This is the fun time to play. It’s warm outside, sunny—well, not today. It feels like playoff hockey right now.”

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 02:57 PM
  #5
BillyShoe1721
Terriers
 
BillyShoe1721's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 16,519
vCash: 844
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721


Giroux visiting Geno's and Pat's a little much eh?

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 02:58 PM
  #6
FlyHigh
Registered User
 
FlyHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,156
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Can I love Giroux much more?

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 03:09 PM
  #7
FlyLife
Nuthin but a G Thang
 
FlyLife's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Livin the High Life
Country: United States
Posts: 2,362
vCash: 500
Haha the little guy has to beef up

FlyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 03:09 PM
  #8
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity
 
ChumpyG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Country: Sami
Posts: 2,718
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersJunky View Post
There is talk on Hockeybuzz about Hartnell and Giroux missing today's (Monday's) practice. They are speaking of Hartnell having Conjunctivitis (AKA: Pink Eye). I see nothing on Flyers website. Anybody have any news.

BTW: I am not starting a rumor here and have no personal knowledge... other than what I read lurking on Hockeybuzz. I hope it is all BS.
They have topical ointments for that, don't they?

ChumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 03:10 PM
  #9
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul
 
Sawdalite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Girouxsalem
Posts: 5,276
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Can I love Giroux much more?

Rhetorical question?... BTW; that was a rhetorical reply.








I have had trouble submitting posts on this site... Lately I have submitted relies only to have them lost somewhere in cyberspace... I hope this finds home.

EDIT: It made it.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 03:18 PM
  #10
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul
 
Sawdalite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Girouxsalem
Posts: 5,276
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChumpyG View Post
They have topical ointments for that, don't they?
Yes ** As joke flies over head ** But it is extremely contagious... I only hope it stays contained.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 03:20 PM
  #11
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity
 
ChumpyG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Country: Sami
Posts: 2,718
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersJunky View Post
Yes ** As joke flies over head ** But it is extremely contagious... I only hope it stays contained.
It's from a very early episode of South Park.

ChumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 03:34 PM
  #12
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul
 
Sawdalite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Girouxsalem
Posts: 5,276
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChumpyG View Post
It's from a very early episode of South Park.
Well, that explains it... Not familiar with SP; I'm too old a fart.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 03:47 PM
  #13
Cmoneyflyguy
Registered User
 
Cmoneyflyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Wayne, Pa
Country: United States
Posts: 2,111
vCash: 500
Ok, who do we think farted on hartnell's pillow?

Cmoneyflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 04:11 PM
  #14
chaosof99*
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Austria
Country: Austria
Posts: 16,614
vCash: 500
Let's just hope they don't embalm Hartnell in Worchester sauce

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 04:11 PM
  #15
CharlieGirl
Registered User
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,714
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersJunky View Post
Well, that explains it... Not familiar with SP; I'm too old a fart.
Welcome to the boards! There's an introduction thread at the top of the Flyers board, if you want to post in there too.

Nice to have another old fart around -- we need to balance out the puppies around here!

CharlieGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 04:32 PM
  #16
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Philly Area
Posts: 4,910
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersJunky View Post
Rhetorical question?... BTW; that was a rhetorical reply.








I have had trouble submitting posts on this site... Lately I have submitted relies only to have them lost somewhere in cyberspace... I hope this finds home.

EDIT: It made it.
Its always nice having a new guy actually post some true information and not just start some retarded topic for no reason...welcome.

btw, these boards have been acting really weird for the past month or two ,since around the deadline, so it isnt just you having problems. The reply button hasnt always been working, new posts dont appear, the board seems to go back in time and sometimes nobody can access the site. Im guessing its becoming very popular and its jsut overloaded with posts and new people especially towards the end of the season and into the playoffs.

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 04:32 PM
  #17
BillyShoe1721
Terriers
 
BillyShoe1721's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 16,519
vCash: 844
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
We all know how you get pink eye...who's the practical jokester?

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 04:38 PM
  #18
Cleary84
Registered User
 
Cleary84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,423
vCash: 500
Them damn poo particles.

Cleary84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 04:40 PM
  #19
jackofhearts
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Lower Merion, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 256
vCash: 500
I know Hartnell's the type of guy who will play through pain, so I don't mean to question his beast-ness by asking this, but is pink eye really severe enough to make a player miss practice? I had pink eye a few weeks ago. It was itchy and annoying and nasty, but it didn't stop me from doing anything at all. It's also not nearly as contagious as most people think. My girlfriend never got it when I had it, and I slept next to her every night.

When I played hockey in high school, I played a game once when I had a fever. It was one of the most unpleasant experiences of my life, but I don't think I played too much worse (not that I was very good to begin with). I realize that high school hockey is far different from the NHL, but it still doesn't seem like pink eye should be so incapacitating.

jackofhearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 04:53 PM
  #20
CharlieGirl
Registered User
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,714
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackofhearts View Post
I know Hartnell's the type of guy who will play through pain, so I don't mean to question his beast-ness by asking this, but is pink eye really severe enough to make a player miss practice? I had pink eye a few weeks ago. It was itchy and annoying and nasty, but it didn't stop me from doing anything at all. It's also not nearly as contagious as most people think. My girlfriend never got it when I had it, and I slept next to her every night.
Considering the number of times they're using the same towels on the bench, it's highly contagious. Some people are very lucky not to get it -- I had a houseful (oldest brought it home from daycare, gave it to her little sister, and then my husband got it) and for some reason, I didn't get it. But it's very contagious. Better that they send him home and lessen the risk of spreading it. And considering how the flu made its way through the team, I won't be surprised if it hasn't already started.

CharlieGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 05:08 PM
  #21
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul
 
Sawdalite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Girouxsalem
Posts: 5,276
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Girl View Post
Welcome to the boards! There's an introduction thread at the top of the Flyers board, if you want to post in there too.

Nice to have another old fart around -- we need to balance out the puppies around here!
Thanks, I'll try my best to help keep the young lions in place... or at least attempt to hold them back without getting an obstruction whistle in the process -- damn rule changes -- I'll probably end up ruing my posting that.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 05:09 PM
  #22
jackofhearts
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Lower Merion, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 256
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Girl View Post
Considering the number of times they're using the same towels on the bench, it's highly contagious. Some people are very lucky not to get it -- I had a houseful (oldest brought it home from daycare, gave it to her little sister, and then my husband got it) and for some reason, I didn't get it. But it's very contagious. Better that they send him home and lessen the risk of spreading it. And considering how the flu made its way through the team, I won't be surprised if it hasn't already started.
Good point about the towels. I didn't think about that.

But couldn't they take special precautions with Hartnell? Make sure he has personal towels and whatever else would spread the virus?

Then again, I guess missing practice once isn't such a big deal provided he'll be ok for tomorrow night.

jackofhearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 05:15 PM
  #23
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul
 
Sawdalite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Girouxsalem
Posts: 5,276
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
Its always nice having a new guy actually post some true information and not just start some retarded topic for no reason...welcome.

btw, these boards have been acting really weird for the past month or two ,since around the deadline, so it isnt just you having problems. The reply button hasnt always been working, new posts dont appear, the board seems to go back in time and sometimes nobody can access the site. Im guessing its becoming very popular and its jsut overloaded with posts and new people especially towards the end of the season and into the playoffs.
Thanks for the welcome. I'll try to remember to think before I dredge up the old topics... BTW; do you think we should move Carter to Toronto in the off season?


Right now on here I'm not able to delete anything with my delete key... I have to highlight two letters or so and retype the correct one to get rid of the bad one... Very annoying.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 05:16 PM
  #24
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Philly Area
Posts: 4,910
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackofhearts View Post
I know Hartnell's the type of guy who will play through pain, so I don't mean to question his beast-ness by asking this, but is pink eye really severe enough to make a player miss practice? I had pink eye a few weeks ago. It was itchy and annoying and nasty, but it didn't stop me from doing anything at all. It's also not nearly as contagious as most people think. My girlfriend never got it when I had it, and I slept next to her every night.

When I played hockey in high school, I played a game once when I had a fever. It was one of the most unpleasant experiences of my life, but I don't think I played too much worse (not that I was very good to begin with). I realize that high school hockey is far different from the NHL, but it still doesn't seem like pink eye should be so incapacitating.
Guys get days off just to rest sometimes so its a situation where he might be a little hurt and having pink eye added to that is one of them things where its just like...take the day off to rest up. Pink eye can be very contagious and sometimes it can be much worse than others. Ive seen some people with their eyes swollen shut so if thats the case theres no point in practicing if he doesnt have the same vision he normally has, it could ony be a bad thing. Its just a day off, its not like he hasnt practiced for a week because of it. A lot of times banged up players get a little cold and they sit out a practice because of it just because they are banged up and they have a cold so why not just take a day off to rest up especially if you have a game the next night.

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 05:20 PM
  #25
jackofhearts
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Lower Merion, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 256
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
Guys get days off just to rest sometimes so its a situation where he might be a little hurt and having pink eye added to that is one of them things where its just like...take the day off to rest up. Pink eye can be very contagious and sometimes it can be much worse than others. Ive seen some people with their eyes swollen shut so if thats the case theres no point in practicing if he doesnt have the same vision he normally has, it could ony be a bad thing. Its just a day off, its not like he hasnt practiced for a week because of it. A lot of times banged up players get a little cold and they sit out a practice because of it just because they are banged up and they have a cold so why not just take a day off to rest up especially if you have a game the next night.
Fair enough.

jackofhearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:39 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.