HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Tomas Kaberle

Old
04-06-2009, 06:25 PM
Highbrow
Alfie, Alfie, Alfie!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlMo View Post
No they aren't. 4.25 million dollar all star dmen, in the prime of their career, aren't given away for free.

Now if you were to say those teams wouldn't be interested is one thing, but to say it's too much is just false.
That's debatable. I think he's beginning to leave the prime of career. That isn't to say he's not good, nor is it to say that his productivity is going to drop drastically. I think he's got probably too more potential 50 point seasons in him and then he'll move into the 40's, 30's, and on. Just my opinion.

[EDIT] Now that I look at his last few seasons, I guess I'm saying he's just moved over the hump.

Highbrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 06:36 PM
AlMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnkd View Post
That's debatable. I think he's beginning to leave the prime of career. That isn't to say he's not good, nor is it to say that his productivity is going to drop drastically. I think he's got probably too more potential 50 point seasons in him and then he'll move into the 40's, 30's, and on. Just my opinion.

[EDIT] Now that I look at his last few seasons, I guess I'm saying he's just moved over the hump.
Kaberle is 30 years old, he's got many good year. of hockey left and he stays relatively healthy. This year was a down year for Kaberle. I just think his time has come to an end here in Toronto. Just by his body language on the ice you could tell he is frustrated with everything. I think if Kaberle moves on he will be the Kaberle of old. IMHO, a change of scenery would work wonders for Kaberle.

BTW, you say he has two more 50 point seasons left in him. He is signed for two more years a very good price. A contending team is going to get a dman that will score 100 points and pay a minimal price for it. That still has alot of value.

AlMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 06:38 PM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Uhhhh........No!

I would give you Kubina at the deadline for that.
Thanks. I'd rather keep my 1st round pick.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 06:50 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaflover View Post
I think we'll know soon enough what Kaberle's trade value is. Once the NTC window opens and Burke can shop him to all teams rather than a select few from Kaberle's list that may have had interest, his ultimate value will be established.
I have a hunch however that Burke will be more interested in a proven player and prospect rather than a pick and prospect and i certainly hope my inkling is correct.

Wow, a reasonable Leafs fan. The truth is that the Leafs don't know what rebuilding is, they always looks to win now. Now that doesn't mean that they should or do always morgage the future to win today but that they aren't going to just accept losing for the next 2-4 years while their "prospects and picks" develope. The Leafs will likely want a pick and a player in return. If they can get a 1st and a young solid NHLer that they can use as a core for the future and possibly a vet on an expiring contract to help out for just next year then I think they would be fine.

If the Leafs trade Kabs they will pretty much have 37.5 mil committed to 16 players next season. That's basically 18 mil for 4 players plus leaving a little wiggle room. Personally, I'd go hard after J-Bo if I were the Leafs. I'd offer him 7 mil for 5 years and see if he bites. I doubt if he sees more thn 6.5 from any other team so he'd have to take less for fewer years or take the money from the Leafs. Then I'd look to get a scoring RW in a deal for Kaberle.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 06:51 PM
Nizdizzle
Salary cap? Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Calgary's 2009 1st(likely around 25th, overall) and Phoenix's 2009 2nd(likely around 35th, overall)?
lol. Add in something significant before the phone gets hung up.

Making proposals for Kaberle is pointless. Every month his trade value (in HF terms) Drops a great deal. He had a bad season, so he is obviously in the decline of his career and its all downhill from here on out . However, even if his value is (for hypothetical sake) 1st rounder + top prospect, you will never find a poster that is willing to offer it up from his/her own team for a few reasons:

1. Insane overating of 1st round draft picks
2. General overating of WJC prospects (I guess all prospects in general, but the WJC seems to bring out the worst in hype)
3. HF rarely wants to add players over the age of 30 to their roster, regardless of the player
4. as I said before, Kaberle had a bad year by his standards

The sooner Kaberle is traded the better. So all this overating/underating/pissing match can stop.

Note: If Burke is actually planning on making the Playoffs next year, I do not believe Kaberle will be traded as his puckmoving abilities are vital to the Leafs powerplay

Nizdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 06:52 PM
Highbrow
Alfie, Alfie, Alfie!

Quote:
Kaberle is 30 years old, he's got many good year. of hockey left and he stays relatively healthy. This year was a down year for Kaberle. I just think his time has come to an end here in Toronto. Just by his body language on the ice you could tell he is frustrated with everything. I think if Kaberle moves on he will be the Kaberle of old. IMHO, a change of scenery would work wonders for Kaberle.

BTW, you say he has two more 50 point seasons left in him. He is signed for two more years a very good price. A contending team is going to get a dman that will score 100 points and pay a minimal price for it. That still has alot of value.
That I definitely agree with you. If Kaberle gets moved for the theorized 1st + prospect + roster player, he has to a contender. Otherwise, a team on the cusp of the playoffs or a bounce-back team (like Ottawa; only mentioning 'cause there's an Kaberle to Ottawa thread) might end up on the losing end of this one. Kaberle's selling point is definitely his incredible contract like you said.

Highbrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 06:56 PM
phlocky

Quote:
No they aren't. 4.25 million dollar all star dmen, in the prime of their career, aren't given away for free.

Now if you were to say those teams wouldn't be interested is one thing, but to say it's too much is just false.
Quote:
Uhhhh........No!

I would give you Kubina at the deadline for that.

And you're one of the Leaf fans who laughed when everyone said that Antropov was only worth a 2nd rnd pick. You are one of those guys who said he'd easily return a 1st and a mid level prospect. Lol, I guess you were wrong on that one and you're wrong on this one too.

Edit : Oh, and Nodl + 1st isn't enough for Kabs. Nodl is practially worthless as a prospect. He MIGHT work out but honestly, he's not on ANY teams "hot list" any more. You are basically insulting people trying to pass him off as a serious prospect of high value.

Old
04-06-2009, 07:16 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan311 View Post
lol. Add in something significant before the phone gets hung up.

Making proposals for Kaberle is pointless. Every month his trade value (in HF terms) Drops a great deal. He had a bad season, so he is obviously in the decline of his career and its all downhill from here on out . However, even if his value is (for hypothetical sake) 1st rounder + top prospect, you will never find a poster that is willing to offer it up from his/her own team for a few reasons:

1. Insane overating of 1st round draft picks
2. General overating of WJC prospects (I guess all prospects in general, but the WJC seems to bring out the worst in hype)
3. HF rarely wants to add players over the age of 30 to their roster, regardless of the player
4. as I said before, Kaberle had a bad year by his standards

The sooner Kaberle is traded the better. So all this overating/underating/pissing match can stop.

Note: If Burke is actually planning on making the Playoffs next year, I do not believe Kaberle will be traded as his puckmoving abilities are vital to the Leafs powerplay
Again, I don't think the Leafs would be looking for just picks and prospects. I think they are looking for at least one player who can help them now. Honestly, as much as I'd LOVE to add Kabs to our blue line, the Flyers just aren't a good trading partner. The Leafs would HAVE to take back some significant salary in return at the expense of some valuable prospects they could be getting. The Leafs would have to take back either Lupul or Carle and we basically gave up 2 firsts for Carle Lupul cost us what was suppose to be our franchise dman of the future. Everyone knows that Carter and Richards aren't going anywhere now (or at least I hope they understand that) but I don't think people understand just how high management (not just the fans) are on both Sbisa and Giroux. Our GM said that he believes he has a future Norris canidate in Sbisa (not that he'll win it but that he'll be good enough to be considered for it) and Giroux has played better as the top line center between Gagne and Knuble than Richards did. Giroux actually had Gagne and Knuble scoring better than Richards did. In just half a year in the NHL Giroux has shown that what he did in the "Q" last year and their playoffs was no fluke. Giroux began this season with having 4 wisdom teeth pulled so he started in the AHL and a slow start. He came back to make the AHL all-star team even after he was called up to the Flyers. JVR may be a top prospect that we'd be willing to part with but honestly, we need a goalie much much more than we need another puck moving dman.

Old
04-06-2009, 07:17 PM
Pierre Gotye

He should be at least worth a 15-30 1st round pick, but just MHO. Maybe 20-30 would be more reasonable.

He hasn't had a good year, he's been injured. On the right squad he'll be good again.

As much as we Leaf fans over-value him, there are many other NHL fans who under-value him. You're not going to find a player with that skill-set and earning such a bargain of a salary who can give you the type of production that Kaberle can.

Pierre Gotye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 07:17 PM
Nizdizzle
Salary cap? Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
Again, I don't think the Leafs would be looking for just picks and prospects. I think they are looking for at least one player who can help them now. Honestly, as much as I'd LOVE to add Kabs to our blue line, the Flyers just aren't a good trading partner. The Leafs would HAVE to take back some significant salary in return at the expense of some valuable prospects they could be getting. The Leafs would have to take back either Lupul or Carle and we basically gave up 2 firsts for Carle Lupul cost us what was suppose to be our franchise dman of the future. Everyone knows that Carter and Richards aren't going anywhere now (or at least I hope they understand that) but I don't think people understand just how high management (not just the fans) are on both Sbisa and Giroux. Our GM said that he believes he has a future Norris canidate in Sbisa (not that he'll win it but that he'll be good enough to be considered for it) and Giroux has played better as the top line center between Gagne and Knuble than Richards did. Giroux actually had Gagne and Knuble scoring better than Richards did. In just half a year in the NHL Giroux has shown that what he did in the "Q" last year and their playoffs was no fluke. Giroux began this season with having 4 wisdom teeth pulled so he started in the AHL and a slow start. He came back to make the AHL all-star team even after he was called up to the Flyers. JVR may be a top prospect that we'd be willing to part with but honestly, we need a goalie much much more than we need another puck moving dman.
maybe I should have bolded when I said "(for hypothetical sake)"

Nizdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 07:30 PM
The Big Swede

Start with a 1st and a blue chip prospect...

The Big Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 07:30 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentbreakaway23 View Post
He should be at least worth a 15-30 1st round pick, but just MHO. Maybe 20-30 would be more reasonable.

He hasn't had a good year, he's been injured. On the right squad he'll be good again.

As much as we Leaf fans over-value him, there are many other NHL fans who under-value him. You're not going to find a player with that skill-set and earning such a bargain of a salary who can give you the type of production that Kaberle can.
I agree. Leafs fans over value him, most everyone else under values him. I think that a 1st, a MID level prospect and a solid roster player is both fair and what they will ACTUALLY get for him when they trade him. I think expecting a teams #1 prospect and their 1st this year is asking way too much. A 1st plus a 2nd line winger or 2nd pairing dman plus a teams 3rd or 4th best prospect (providing they actually have quality prospect depth) adds a lot of pieces that the Leafs need.

Old
04-06-2009, 07:32 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Swede View Post
And this is why he wasn't moved at the trade deadline too. I'll make the same offer I did to any Leafs fan who said that Antropov would return a 1st + mid prospect. If Kabs returns a 1st and a teams #1 prospect I'll drive up there and kiss your bare butt. When he doesn't you drive down here and kiss mine. I'm pretty confident I'll win. Are you willing to put your lips where your mouth is because the Leaf fan who was mocking me about Niks value wouldn't put up and guess what, it turned out for him that he was lucky he didn't.

Old
04-06-2009, 07:37 PM
The Yzerman
The Man, The Legend

Let's think this one through. Who needs a puck moving defenceman, whose cap hit is big enough, but quite manageable?

Minnesota : Might be looking for another defenceman with Burns out. Maybe a Colton Gillies/James Sheppard + 2nd/3rd?

Capitals : They might missing a puck moving defencemen to play with Green, haven't seen a lot of them this season. Brooks Laich (50 Pts this season) + 2nd?

Just trying to go off the boards here

The Yzerman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 07:48 PM
TheKiller93

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensfan83 View Post
Basically, Leafs fans think he is worth your team's 1st rd pick and top prospect. Fans of every other team think otherwise.

I'd say a mid/late 1st or early 2nd and decent prospect (ie. not Karlsson, Giroux, JVR, Hickey, etc.)

He's only got 2 yrs left on his contract, he's regressed and the cap is dropping... But Leafs fans are still valuing him as if he's a lock for 50-60pts on a 4yr bargain contract with no impending cap drop.
I believe bargain contracts INCREASE in value when the cap drops.

TheKiller93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 07:52 PM
Mojo19
He's Big, He's Bald

Quote:
I agree. Leafs fans over value him, most everyone else under values him. I think that a 1st, a MID level prospect and a solid roster player is both fair and what they will ACTUALLY get for him when they trade him. I think expecting a teams #1 prospect and their 1st this year is asking way too much. A 1st plus a 2nd line winger or 2nd pairing dman plus a teams 3rd or 4th best prospect (providing they actually have quality prospect depth) adds a lot of pieces that the Leafs need.
When you say MID level...... who would you mean?

IMO Evgeny Grachev is probably a mid level prospect. He certainly isn't a blue chipper. So in that case, since NYR needs a good PP man with Roszival... do you think 1st Round + Grachev would be fine? I don't see how they are going to be in cap trouble. They do have a lot of money in Drury and Gomez... but a very large portion of their roster is either RFA or UFA this summer. So it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Mojo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 08:07 PM
grabo84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franzenitor View Post
Capitals : They might missing a puck moving defencemen to play with Green, haven't seen a lot of them this season. Brooks Laich (50 Pts this season) + 2nd?
I really like Laich, but it would have to be at least him and a 1st. Either that or the Caps add Morrisson or somebody like that.

grabo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 08:23 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo027 View Post
When you say MID level...... who would you mean?

IMO Evgeny Grachev is probably a mid level prospect. He certainly isn't a blue chipper. So in that case, since NYR needs a good PP man with Roszival... do you think 1st Round + Grachev would be fine? I don't see how they are going to be in cap trouble. They do have a lot of money in Drury and Gomez... but a very large portion of their roster is either RFA or UFA this summer. So it shouldn't be too much of an issue.
I can't speak for other teams becuase I really don't follow their prospects. From the Flyers I consider Kevin Marshall our best and a very good mid-level prospect. I really really like this kid. He's almost a lock to be a 2nd pairing guy. He'll never be a top pairing guy but you need good 2nd pairing guys too. He's a big stay-at-home dman who plays with a bit of a physical edge and he can clear the crease. The Flyers NEED a guy like this. Coburn and Parent are decent sized but neither use that size to "clear the crease". Marshall is a solid skater and solid at outlet passes. There's not a lot of offensive ability but he plays well in his own zone. Maybe others aren't as high on him as I am but I see him as a quality "non-blue chip" prospect, thus I called him a mid-level one. The guy who suggested Andres Nodl along with our 1st I hope was joking and I said as much. Nodl is still a bit of a long shot to reach his full potential while Marshall is just about a lock to reach his. THAT'S the kind of prospect I think that along with a 1st and a quality NHL player is fair value for Kabs.

Oh, and so you know, HF has Marshall rated as a 7.5C, that's no slouch prospect there. If I remember correctly Vlasic and Wishart were both 7.5 prospects too and I'd love to have either of them in our system.

Last edited by phlocky: 04-06-2009 at 08:32 PM.
Old
04-06-2009, 08:46 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by grabo84 View Post
I really like Laich, but it would have to be at least him and a 1st. Either that or the Caps add Morrisson or somebody like that.
The Caps picks will likely be late in each round so a 2nd with him likely isn't enough. You are getting the Caps 2nd best center so their 1st might be a bit of an over payment. I would have the leafs adding a 3rd to balance it out and I think that would be fair for both teams.

I think this would be a GREAT trade for the Leafs. They don't get any prospects but they do get a very good 2nd line center to help them immediately and honestly, I can't see Burke being satisfied with waiting on prospects and picks to develope from any Kabs deal. Even a late 1st this year should be a very good player, boarderline top line/2nd line forward or #2/#3 dman. However, I don't know how the Caps are set at center and if they can afford to part with Laich.

Again, I just wonder if this would be a better deal for the Leafs than a deal with the Flyers for Lupul, Marshall and their 09 1st. I think the Leafs need a scoring RW and Lupul should finish the year with 25 goals and 50+ points plus he's young and still improving. He's at 4 mil for next year so he's not a bargin but the Leafs have the cap space to add him and you also get a 1st and a very good prospect in Marshall.

Old
04-06-2009, 08:52 PM
grabo84

I like Laich a lot more than Lupul, especially with the contract Lupul has kicking in next year. Love Laich's effort on the ice, and I could see him having potential to wear the C someday. Still, I think Washington would have to chip in a D to close the deal. I think they'd consider throwing Morrisonn into the deal, especially since they need to make room for Alzner to move up.

Old
04-06-2009, 09:06 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by grabo84 View Post
I like Laich a lot more than Lupul, especially with the contract Lupul has kicking in next year. Love Laich's effort on the ice, and I could see him having potential to wear the C someday. Still, I think Washington would have to chip in a D to close the deal. I think they'd consider throwing Morrisonn into the deal, especially since they need to make room for Alzner to move up.

That is probably pretty reasonable. The Leafs could use both a 2nd line center and a 2nd line scoring wing (RW preferred). Lupuls contract is probably right where it should be so that means he's not a bargin by any means. I think that if the Leafs can get a #2 center and a 2nd/3rd pairing dman to play IMMEDIATELY along with a 1st that they will accept it for Kabs.

Old
04-06-2009, 09:15 PM
powerthirst

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Swede View Post
Again, I have yet to see a fan of any team willing to offer this for Kaberle. It seems like if that is the (semi-insane) asking price then he's never being moved, kinda like how he wasn't moved at the deadline...

powerthirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 09:31 PM
grabo84

Quote:
That is probably pretty reasonable. The Leafs could use both a 2nd line center and a 2nd line scoring wing (RW preferred). Lupuls contract is probably right where it should be so that means he's not a bargin by any means. I think that if the Leafs can get a #2 center and a 2nd/3rd pairing dman to play IMMEDIATELY along with a 1st that they will accept it for Kabs.
Absolutely. Burke said he wants to remake this team, and that would give him the tools to do it, assuming the players he gets fit his mould.

Old
04-06-2009, 09:38 PM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

A first round pick for Antropov!

I kid I kid. He'll net a return similar to what Boyle and Campbell did.

Boyle returned Carle, Wishart, late 1st (remember Carle was a utility dman by this time in SJ).

Campbell returned Bernier and a late first.

Neither return is quite what Leafs fans hope he'll garner however. The Leafs would be smarter to keep him and build around him. He's what, 31? The Bruins started building around Chara who was around the same age.

Kaoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 09:51 PM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

Quote:
Lol, they closed that thread because it was so rediculous. It was actually quite funny.

The value of Kabs actually is probably a mid 1st and a top prospect, but not a BLUE CHIP prospect. Sorry, but with the way Giroux has played this year he's not a top prospect but a blue chip one wirht even more than our 1st this year.

The flyer have 3 prospects I don't think they'd trade with their 1st for Kabs and that's Giroux, JVR and Sbisa. Our managment is very high on all 3 and we'll need some cheaper players on entry level contracts to be able to make our cap situation work. Kevin Marshall is a very good prospect that we are very high on, he's expected to be a solid 2nd pairing physical stay-at-home dman. He and our 1st is probably getting pretty close too Kabs value.

However, any deal with the Flyers would have to include the Leafs taking back salary equal to what we take on. We are also loaded on defense so it makes the most sense for the Leafs to take Matt Carle back as part of the deal. Ideally we still need the Leafs to take on another 1 mil but I guess we can just make another trade with someone else. The Flyers deal would be something like this:

Philly 09 1st (mid 20's most likely), Matt Carle and Kevin Marshall
To Philly - Thomas Kaberle
Unfortunately, the Leafs have to get something good if they're going to trade a 4-time allstar.

It wouldn't be done simply to make the Flyers happy. Sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt
Calgary's 2009 1st(likely around 25th, overall) and Phoenix's 2009 2nd(likely around 35th, overall)?

Good one.

Volcanologist is offline   Reply With Quote