HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Claude Giroux (Trade?)

Closed Thread

Old
04-07-2009, 12:41 AM
CantSeeColors

vCash: 500
Let's trade Richards too. We might not be able to afford his next contract either.

Old
04-07-2009, 12:43 AM
UseYourAllusion

I expect more from a user with a name like that.

Old
04-07-2009, 12:53 AM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Giroux MIGHT be a cap casualty, but at this point, he has more value to the organization than JVR (there, I said it), so to trade him now would be stupid.

Over the next 2 years, the Flyers basically need to determine who's going to be a better player and who they're going to need more: Giroux or JVR. JVR's size already gives him an advantage, but Giroux is looking pretty sick himself.

I don't see us keeping both of them past their entry levels though. Keep in mind that a hefty chunk of Gagne's salary is going to go towards paying Carter and that Sbisa will also need to be resigned at that time.

Old
04-07-2009, 12:55 AM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

My IQ dropped 28 points after reading this thread.

Old
04-07-2009, 01:01 AM
six sigma
Seahawks/Flyers

Just look at what Giroux has accomplished in his short time with the big club. He is flat-out special, and it should be obvious to all that the team is going to do what they have to do to keep him on board.

Old
04-07-2009, 01:02 AM
CavemanLawyer

...Awesome! Joke thread delivers!

Old
04-07-2009, 01:02 AM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
Originally Posted by six sigma View Post
Just look at what Giroux has accomplished in his short time with the big club. He is flat-out special, and it should be obvious to all that the team is going to do what they have to do to keep him on board.

I love that avy!

Old
04-07-2009, 01:13 AM
Amateur Hour

If Giroux is traded, I'm finding another team. I'm serious.

Old
04-07-2009, 01:16 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Giroux MIGHT be a cap casualty, but at this point, he has more value to the organization than JVR (there, I said it), so to trade him now would be stupid.

Over the next 2 years, the Flyers basically need to determine who's going to be a better player and who they're going to need more: Giroux or JVR. JVR's size already gives him an advantage, but Giroux is looking pretty sick himself.

I don't see us keeping both of them past their entry levels though. Keep in mind that a hefty chunk of Gagne's salary is going to go towards paying Carter and that Sbisa will also need to be resigned at that time.

I agree with you. Giroux's value is far and away higher then JVR's because Giroux is playing very well and JVR just signed his pro contract.
If there is any inclination you worry about it in 10/11. to trade him now for those reasons mentioned at the start of this thread is well, assinine.

Old
04-07-2009, 01:16 AM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Jesus ****ing Christ.

Old
04-07-2009, 01:21 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 589
A team is built around a player like Giroux, even with the cap. Right now, there shouldn't be any thought of trading him barring anything extremely unusual.

Old
04-07-2009, 01:29 AM
FlyLife
Nuthin but a G Thang

There are very few players in the league that I would trade Giroux for

Old
04-07-2009, 01:37 AM
FlyersCup08

First of all... absolutely not.

On the subject of Giroux being Gagne's replacement... How much do you think Gagne will cost? He'll be what, 32? Gagne is still an integral part of this team, and a Flyer at heart. I would have a very hard time watching him play in any uniform other than the Orange & Black. That being said, I wonder if Gags will give Holmgren a hometown discount so that we can keep him and Giroux.

In addition, I think we'll hold onto JVR. His size and skill makes him so valuable, I think he is going to be a 50 goal scorer in this league. There are other players that have expendable contracts (Jones, Lupul, Knuble, Hartnell). Any of those players, even though I love them (though not so crazy about Jones) I would dump to keep JVR. Knuble is aging, I don't see us resigning him. I love Lupul and Hartnell, but I'd take JVR over either of them.

Old
04-07-2009, 01:39 AM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Please ban him...guys like this make the board less and less reliable for solid hockey information and opinions.

There is just so much wrong with what you wrote.

1. He will have WAYYYY more value in a year or two, so why not trade him then?
2. Kostitsyn isnt a cheap option and will likely get a raise...the same time Giroux will.
3. With the way Giroux is playing and will be playing I would likely rather take the compensation from the offer sheet than trade him for kostitsyn and a 3rd.
4. Why not move other players before moving a kid that will be the face of whatever team he is on?
5. Die please.

Old
04-07-2009, 01:43 AM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersCup08 View Post
First of all... absolutely not.

On the subject of Giroux being Gagne's replacement... How much do you think Gagne will cost? He'll be what, 32? Gagne is still an integral part of this team, and a Flyer at heart. I would have a very hard time watching him play in any uniform other than the Orange & Black. That being said, I wonder if Gags will give Holmgren a hometown discount so that we can keep him and Giroux.

In addition, I think we'll hold onto JVR. His size and skill makes him so valuable, I think he is going to be a 50 goal scorer in this league. There are other players that have expendable contracts (Jones, Lupul, Knuble, Hartnell). Any of those players, even though I love them (though not so crazy about Jones) I would dump to keep JVR. Knuble is aging, I don't see us resigning him. I love Lupul and Hartnell, but I'd take JVR over either of them.
What makes people think JVR will be a 50 goal scorer? Ive always been confused when people say this. JVR is a much better playmaker than he is a goal scorer. If JVR has 50 goals in a year he will likely have 120 points and I dont see that coming. I see JVR as more of a 35-55-90 guy at his best.

Old
04-07-2009, 01:46 AM
BerubeBox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
A team is built around a player like Giroux.
WOW is that saying a lot.

And I think I agree.

Old
04-07-2009, 01:50 AM
FlyersCup08

Be that as it may, he will be a great player in this league, and not worth giving up on. If we can keep a corps of Richards, Carter, Giroux, and van Riemsdyk, we will be a very dangerous team for a long time.

90+ point players are the likes of Zetterberg, Iginla, Lecavalier, Kovalchuk, etc. How can you let a player like that leave?

Of course, this is assuming JVR doesn't turn out to be a bust, but there is too much there to toss away. We need to keep him.

Old
04-07-2009, 02:03 AM
ELab2

I can't believe the OP has not been back in here to respond

Old
04-07-2009, 02:12 AM
FlyLife
Nuthin but a G Thang

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
What makes people think JVR will be a 50 goal scorer? Ive always been confused when people say this. JVR is a much better playmaker than he is a goal scorer. If JVR has 50 goals in a year he will likely have 120 points and I dont see that coming. I see JVR as more of a 35-55-90 guy at his best.
I agree completely, his passing is his best attribute. I can see him hitting the 40's if he learns how to get in front of the net like Knuble, but I don't think thats his game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerubeBox View Post
WOW is that saying a lot.

And I think I agree.
It is pretty scary, I can see him being a Danny Briere type scorer on our team. And when I say that, I'm talking about the 95 point Buffalo Sabre Danny Briere. If he takes advantage of all of the offensive weapons he has around him (which he already is), he can take our team to another level.

Old
04-07-2009, 02:16 AM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELab2 View Post
He was murdered.

Old
04-07-2009, 02:19 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELab2 View Post

im not. his idea is getting destroyed.
and rightly so.

Old
04-07-2009, 04:49 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

ummmmmmm no

Old
04-07-2009, 05:33 AM
DutchDennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Hartnells Hair View Post
Ok guys I wanna say something, I'm gonna put it out there, if you like it, you can take it, if you don't send it right back...I think we should trade Claude Giroux. Lets face it, this kid is going to be a star and we won't be able to afford him in the future because of our cap constraints. So I propose that we trade Giroux to Montreal for Andrei Kostitsyn and a 3rd round pick. We gotta move him before we lose him to an offer sheet. He can get us some depth that we will need in the future. What do you guys think?
You're a Habs fan, aren't you?

Old
04-07-2009, 05:46 AM
jme42257

i'm pretty sure everything I wanted to say about the OP has already been said... but yeh, this thread has been pretty comical!

In his short time with the Orange and Black, Giroux has been simply phenomenal looking, showing he clearly belongs, and how young he is and his potential to get even better gives me a solid *****.... just sayin.

Old
04-07-2009, 06:09 AM
chaosof99*

Seriously, the only thing to describe this thread is

Giroux will not go anywhere in the near future and even if this team will find itself in the situation where it needs to trade him, it will be some time from now and until then his trade value will do nothing but rise.

This team will not trade Giroux and certainly won't do it now.

Closed Thread