HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Fixing the New York Rangers

Old
04-07-2009, 06:41 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
Hejda is paired with Commodore and they play against the other team's top lines. He logs heavy PK minutes, too.

He was +20 last season on an awful CBJ team and is +23 this season. Rick Nash and Jakub Voracek are tied for 2nd on the team with +11. He's also signed for 2 million per.

He's way more valuable to the CBJ than Rosival would be. Rosival's contract is so anti-Scott Howson, it isn't even funny.

Howson isn't looking to add salary, while shedding a top pair d-man when they need both the player and the cap room to sign Rick Nash to an extension.
Roszival's contract is so anti-Howson?

Wasn't Howson bidding on Wade Redden right till the end? Redden went for alot of money which the Columbus GM was willing to pay.

Roszival's contract is $1 million less in total value than Huselius's contract.

Going forward, Roszival at 3 years/$13 million is a better buy than Huselius at 3 years/$14.25 million

Markus Naslund has more goals than Huselius.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 09:18 AM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Send a message via AIM to Matthew
Huselius has something that makes his contract worth it = chemistry with Rick Nash.

Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 09:43 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers3018 View Post
Just looking to unload some cap space and not get too much in return, basically, the only thing the Rangers can do at this point to salvage anything in the near future.

I don't have the best reputation with proposals on this board but I think they're all pretty fair.

I have a bad feeling I'm gonna take some flaming from every angle here (Rangers fans and other teams fans as well). Oh well, flame on.
flaming is expected when the trades are that bad... no team is going to do any favours for other teams that need to shed contracts with the way things are right now... every GM in the league has been warned about the economic situation moving forward and a possible drop in cap space... players with large contract that extend past next season (such as Gomez) have no value right now because teams just don't want to get their hands tied with such contracts with a dropping cap...

and you're also ignoring NTC here... there's no way that Naslund is going to waive his NTC to go to the Wild - the type of team that Naslund had constantly been complaining about during his time in Vancouver that he didn't want to play for - defensive first system (still wondering why he signed with a Renney-coached Rangers team??)... but don't expect him to waive his NTC to go to the Wild... never happen!

The only transaction you have that is plausible is waiving Redden... that is if he doesn't have a NMC (which I don't think he does). No other team is going to touch those other contracts (except Zherdev as a RFA, but he isn't worth a top 10 pick), especially for the price you have going back.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 09:49 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Sabres say no. Gomez at that salary isn't an improvement, especially not for Sekera.

04-07-2009, 09:55 AM
E_Godard

Quote:
Buffalo Gets:
Scott Gomez (7.357)
1st Round pick '09

NYR Gets:
Rights to negotiate with Clarke MacArthur
Andrej Sekera (.675)
---------------------------
Waive:
Wade Redden (6.5)
Los Angeles Gets:
Rights to negotiate with Nikolai Zherdev

NYR Gets
1st round '09
Columbus Gets:
Michal Rozsival (5.00)

NYR Gets:
2nd Round '09
Jan Hejda (2.00)
Minnesota Gets:
Markus Naslund (4.0)

NYR Gets:
3rd round '09
6th round '09
Just looking to unload some cap space and not get too much in return, basically, the only thing the Rangers can do at this point to salvage anything in the near future.

I don't have the best reputation with proposals on this board but I think they're all pretty fair.

I have a bad feeling I'm gonna take some flaming from every angle here (Rangers fans and other teams fans as well). Oh well, flame on.
Its essentially an attempt to rebuild by throwing back all the notable pickups made over the last 2 seasons. I honestly dont see any of those moves as possibilities (with the exception of waiving Redden).

E_Godard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 09:55 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Buffalo Gets:
Scott Gomez (7.357)
1st Round pick '09

NYR Gets:
Andrej Sekera (.675)
Waive:
Wade Redden (6.5)
Los Angeles Gets:
Rights to negotiate with Nikolai Zherdev

NYR Gets
1st round '09
Columbus Gets:
Michal Rozsival (5.00)

NYR Gets:
2nd Round '09
Jan Hejda (2.00)
Minnesota Gets:
Markus Naslund (4.0)

NYR Gets:
3rd round '09
6th round '09

The Gomez trade seems like overpayment by the Rangers, though admittedly I don't know much about the 2 Buffalo players. Even so, I'm not sure Buffalo would be willing to take on that much salary.

Redden is not getting waived. It just isn't happening. Signing a player to a 6 yr/39 mil contract and then sending him to the minors after 1 year when he can clearly still play in the NHL (though not worth his salary) is just bad business. I would imagine that the NHLPA and maybe the NHL would have something to say if the Rangers did that.

Zherdev and our 1st for LA's 1st is more reasonable, IMO. Other teams know we are up against the cap and likely can't sign both Zherdev and Antropov unless we move someone else.

Rozsival is tradeable, but I think Dallas might be a more likely destination.

That's probably fair compensation for Naslund, but I'm not sure why Minnesota would want him.

Here's how to fix the Rangers (cap-wise) and it won't take anything overly drastic. This summer we trade Rozsival. Of our big contracts, he's probably the most tradeable. Then we trade or buy out Naslund. If we can trade him, we'll cut 9 million off our cap next year between him and Rozy. If we have to buy him out, we'll only save 7 million. Naslund has a 4 mil cap hit next year, but will only make 3 mil, so he might be attractive to a team trying to reach the cap floor.

The following year we try to trade Drury. He will only have 2 years left on his contract at that point, at 8 mil and 5 mil, respectively. If we can't trade him over the summer, then we have 2 options, depending on how much (or if) the cap goes down. If we can afford to keep him, we should keep him and then try to move him at the trade deadline or the following summer. He would be much more tradeable at that point.

The other option would be to buy out Drury. We would free up amost 6 million in the 1st year (plus another 1 mil off the books if we bought out Naslund the year before), with a bigger cap hit in 2011-12 (and Naslund off the books completely). Drury would then have a cap hit of just over 2 mil for 2012 and 2013.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 10:02 AM
Clock

Quote:
Buffalo Gets:
Scott Gomez (7.357)
1st Round pick '09

NYR Gets:
Andrej Sekera (.675)
No desire to take Gomez at that contract, especially if it means losing Sekera. Sabres don't have the cash to support Gomez's contract, I don't think he's performed up to it anyhow, and obviously Sekera is a great value for what he brings to the table and is only going to get better.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 10:11 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
The Gomez trade seems like overpayment by the Rangers, though admittedly I don't know much about the 2 Buffalo players. Even so, I'm not sure Buffalo would be willing to take on that much salary.

Redden is not getting waived. It just isn't happening. Signing a player to a 6 yr/39 mil contract and then sending him to the minors after 1 year when he can clearly still play in the NHL (though not worth his salary) is just bad business. I would imagine that the NHLPA and maybe the NHL would have something to say if the Rangers did that.

Zherdev and our 1st for LA's 1st is more reasonable, IMO. Other teams know we are up against the cap and likely can't sign both Zherdev and Antropov unless we move someone else.

Rozsival is tradeable, but I think Dallas might be a more likely destination.

That's probably fair compensation for Naslund, but I'm not sure why Minnesota would want him.

Here's how to fix the Rangers (cap-wise) and it won't take anything overly drastic. This summer we trade Rozsival. Of our big contracts, he's probably the most tradeable. Then we trade or buy out Naslund. If we can trade him, we'll cut 9 million off our cap next year between him and Rozy. If we have to buy him out, we'll only save 7 million. Naslund has a 4 mil cap hit next year, but will only make 3 mil, so he might be attractive to a team trying to reach the cap floor.

The following year we try to trade Drury. He will only have 2 years left on his contract at that point, at 8 mil and 5 mil, respectively. If we can't trade him over the summer, then we have 2 options, depending on how much (or if) the cap goes down. If we can afford to keep him, we should keep him and then try to move him at the trade deadline or the following summer. He would be much more tradeable at that point.

The other option would be to buy out Drury. We would free up amost 6 million in the 1st year (plus another 1 mil off the books if we bought out Naslund the year before), with a bigger cap hit in 2011-12 (and Naslund off the books completely). Drury would then have a cap hit of just over 2 mil for 2012 and 2013.
Redden won't get waived this summer but if the cap does decrease to $48-$50 million for 2010-11,all bets are off. What is the NHLPA going to complain about? Their player is getting paid his full salary to play in the AHL. There is no clause which prevents Redden from playing in the AHL. Don Meehan didn't get a NMC. He got a limited NTC.

Drury has a NMC. Can't be bought out

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 10:16 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
No desire to take Gomez at that contract, especially if it means losing Sekera. Sabres don't have the cash to support Gomez's contract, I don't think he's performed up to it anyhow, and obviously Sekera is a great value for what he brings to the table and is only going to get better.
Don't worry, the Rangers would never come close to offering anything remotely retarded as that trade would be for us, anyway. Buffalo would never get the opportunity to say no.

This whole thread is ridiculous.

Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 10:26 AM
bcrt2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
Now thats funny... a lottery pick shot for "the opportunity" to negotiate with Mr. I'm Hot/I'm Cold
Zherdev is an RFA!

bcrt2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 10:28 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Redden won't get waived this summer but if the cap does decrease to $48-$50 million for 2010-11,all bets are off. What is the NHLPA going to complain about? Their player is getting paid his full salary to play in the AHL. There is no clause which prevents Redden from playing in the AHL. Don Meehan didn't get a NMC. He got a limited NTC.

Waiving Redden in 2010 may be an option if the cap goes down, as you say, but still unlikely IMO. And it definitely won't happen this year.

Regarding Drury, his NMC has no affect whatsoever on being bought out:

Quote:
11.8 Individually Negotiated Limitations on Player Movement.

(b) A no-move clause may prevent the involuntary relocation of a Player, whether by Trade, Loan or Waiver claim. A no-move clause, however, may not restrict the Club's buy-out and termination rights as set forth in this Agreement. Prior to exercising its Ordinary Course Buy-Out rights pursuant to Paragraph 13 of the SPC hereof, the Club shall, in writing in accordance with the notice provisions in Exhibit 3 hereof, provide the Player with the option of electing to be placed on Waivers. The Player will have twenty-four (24) hours from the time he receives such notice to accept or reject that option at his sole discretion, and shall so inform the Club in writing, in accordance with the notice provisions in Exhibit 3 hereof, within such twenty-four (24) hour period. If the Player does not timely accept or reject that option, it will be deemed rejected.

Old
04-07-2009, 10:28 AM
isles31
Poster Excellont

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar the Grouch View Post
I thought the Rangers were trying to get rid of overrated and overpaid players?
Gaborik isnt overrated...hes just never healthy.
wanna fix the rangers? start with looking to get sather out of the gm's seat. i know, im an islanders fan, garth snow blahblahblah, but sather has pretty much maxed out the cap and its been spent very poorly. career 50-60 pt players arent worth 7 million dollars...ever. and redden was worth his current contract, about 5 years ago. its a topic thats been beaten to death here but just stating my opinion. the nik z trade was good, but how can they seriously afford to resign him longterm?

isles31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 10:30 AM
Comely

Quote:

you can buy him out still you just can't trade or waive him, if you want to buy out a player with a NMC it's up to them whether or not they get waived first, if they choose no then you simply pay thier way out the door.

Comely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 10:32 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comely View Post
you can buy him out still you just can't trade or waive him, if you want to buy out a player with a NMC it's up to them whether or not they get waived first, if they choose no then you simply pay thier way out the door.
no player is going to give permission on that... better to get bought out - get 2/3rd of the remaining money - and then sign as a UFA with whatever team you want on a new contract, rather than risking getting picked up by any team instead.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 10:36 AM
Macke*

Naslund has a NMC, he ain't going anywhere unless he wants to.. which I imagine he would if he wants to win as I can't see the Rangers doing anything...though he might not want to move his family.

Rangers are going to be stuck with Redden for a looooong time, better to just send him down to hartford and be done with it.

Macke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 10:38 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comely View Post
He can be traded if he agrees to it. More often than not players with NMCs agree to be traded, unless of course they play for the leafs lol.

Old
04-07-2009, 10:41 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Is Hejda really more on his own than Rozsival?

I'm sorry but I don't see that at all.
Absolutely. If Hejda was still an Oiler and we'd dumped Staios at the time instead, I have little doubt we'd be comfortably in the playoffs right now. Hejda is fantastic and has an awesome contract.

Quote:
Some of my fellow Ranger fans are a little confused.

Negotiating rights?Zherdev is not a 37 year UFA. He is a group II who has zero interest in playing outside the NHL.
Link? I had heard Zherdev had used the " I'll go home to Russia" trump card in negotiations with the BJs a couple of times.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 10:50 AM
Cherepanisimov

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Link? I had heard Zherdev had used the " I'll go home to Russia" trump card in negotiations with the BJs a couple of times.
Quote:
"This is where I want to be," Zherdev told The Post yesterday. "I don't want to play in Russia next year. I want to stay here and play in the NHL, in New York, with the Rangers.
http://www.nypost.com/seven/01132009...act_149935.htm

Cherepanisimov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 10:53 AM
ugotmybeef*

Rangers are stuck with those horrible contracts + Sather.

ugotmybeef* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 11:02 AM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
More often than not players with NMCs agree to be traded.
As a GM, you don't really want players with NMCs though - so I wonder what kind of market will be for such a player (who aren't exactly underpaid).

Barney Gumble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 11:50 AM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morozov View Post
Lmao at the Kings pick for negotiating with Zherdev, it's been commented on already but I felt it was worthy of more ridicule.
As Zherdev is a RFA - it's really not that bad of a deal. Cammelleri coming off a brutal season and one year from UFA eligibility was worth the 18th pick overall last year. Zherdev's at least a couple years from UFA eligibility, so I think the deal is reasonable from a value standpoint, assuming someone liked what Zherdev brings to the table.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 11:58 AM
Andre Benoit Bawls
What, Me Worry?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
As Zherdev is a RFA - it's really not that bad of a deal. Cammelleri coming off a brutal season and one year from UFA eligibility was worth the 18th pick overall last year. Zherdev's at least a couple years from UFA eligibility, so I think the deal is reasonable from a value standpoint, assuming someone liked what Zherdev brings to the table.
It's not reasonable. Zherdev can maybe get a top 20 pick if packaged with a 2nd or 3rd. If you guys get the 14th pick, than if you package that with Zherdev, you could probably get top 6-8, but no better than that.

Andre Benoit Bawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 12:03 PM
Section311

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macke View Post
Naslund has a NMC, he ain't going anywhere unless he wants to.. which I imagine he would if he wants to win as I can't see the Rangers doing anything...though he might not want to move his family.

Rangers are going to be stuck with Redden for a looooong time, better to just send him down to hartford and be done with it.
Naslund doesnt have a NMC

Section311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 12:27 PM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

Quote:
Is Hejda really more on his own than Rozsival?

I'm sorry but I don't see that at all.
Then you are likely alone in that view.

Hejda is a rock, on a cheap contract.

Valic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 12:31 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcrew View Post
It's not reasonable. Zherdev can maybe get a top 20 pick if packaged with a 2nd or 3rd. If you guys get the 14th pick, than if you package that with Zherdev, you could probably get top 6-8, but no better than that.
What was Tanguay or Cammelleri worth last year? Cammy was coming off a brutal season, and was still worth the 18th pick last year. Tanguay (along with a 5th round DP) was worth the 25th pick last year, and a second this year. I think that Zherdev (who will be a UFA after next year) would have very similiar value.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote