HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mathias Brunet article on Timmins

Old
04-06-2009, 06:09 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSU Seminoles View Post
fine, but what's the top 15 in your opinion?

you don't seem to like the ISS but they have him at 20 ... btw, how good is the ISS at predicting who goes in what neighborhood at the draft?
I consider him a top 10 talent. That injury is no reason he would get by the top 15.

And the ISS is usually not that reliable. They tend to get swayed by names more than on-ice skills.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 06:11 PM
Mathletic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLHabsAK46 View Post
I consider him a top 10 talent. That injury is no reason he would get by the top 15.

And the ISS is usually not that reliable. They tend to get swayed by names more than on-ice skills.
ok, I'd see him in there too because of production obviously, but looking around and I see lists not having him in the 1st round

Mathletic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 07:31 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
yeah not bad, it doesn't say great, it says good
I believe that he doesn,t have what Timmins is looking for especially if you compare with who will be around. Caron has a Ok speed once he gets going. First steps right now are really bad, agility is not that great either. Not saying he can't improve, but when you have to put an adjective on Caron's skating as a whole, there's a lot more than top speed from A to Z. And even his top speed cannot be classified as great.

Just by reading Glennie's report though, it's tougher to not get excited by him.

I know the Habs are playing tomorrow but let's do a doubleheader tomorrow night, on the Web, watching the Rimouski game. Then people will be able to have their own opinion. I know it's just one game but there will be other games after that. And it's better that way then just read it from someone else. Again, I've watched him at least 10 times this year, and I need a couple more to have a final opinion on him.

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 10:23 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoBlue View Post
They don't care enough to make a difference, though. Gainey will always do what is best for the team and, since fans aren't leaving, then that won't change.

As for me, I stop being a fan the day this team becomes remotely about politics. People now might make it a political issue, but I'll stay as long as the team isn't about politics. I am definitely here until Gainey leaves. At the point, it'll depend on who replaces him.
I've remained a fan for over 4 decades through thick and thin. I'll remain a fan when Gainey is gone.

On the other hand, with the news that Serge Savard being ready to buy the team, I'll bet you that we would see more French speaking players on the team. The last time we won the Stanley Cup, we had 14 of them...

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 10:33 PM
MonacoBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
I've remained a fan for over 4 decades through thick and thin. I'll remain a fan when Gainey is gone.

On the other hand, with the news that Serge Savard being ready to buy the team, I'll bet you that we would see more French speaking players on the team. The last time we won the Stanley Cup, we had 14 of them...
Savard isn't going to buy the team. Who says Gillett is even selling?

MonacoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 10:35 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post

There was more and better francophone talent back then.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 10:43 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoBlue View Post
Savard isn't going to buy the team. Who says Gillett is even selling?
Where did you see that Gillett was selling the team? I know I didn't say that. I did say that IF he did, we WOULD likely have more French Canadians...

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 06:39 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I believe that he doesn,t have what Timmins is looking for especially if you compare with who will be around. Caron has a Ok speed once he gets going. First steps right now are really bad, agility is not that great either. Not saying he can't improve, but when you have to put an adjective on Caron's skating as a whole, there's a lot more than top speed from A to Z. And even his top speed cannot be classified as great.

Just by reading Glennie's report though, it's tougher to not get excited by him.

I know the Habs are playing tomorrow but let's do a doubleheader tomorrow night, on the Web, watching the Rimouski game. Then people will be able to have their own opinion. I know it's just one game but there will be other games after that. And it's better that way then just read it from someone else. Again, I've watched him at least 10 times this year, and I need a couple more to have a final opinion on him.
I didn't feel his acceleration was that bad compared to his top speed. He gets around quick in tight areas.

I though his straight line speed was just plain bad to be honest.

EDIT : Is he a long strider? I haven't looked. If he is, it might not be that bad, since he can get some help from power skating. But if he has short strides, I wouldn't put his skating ceiling very high.

Old
04-07-2009, 11:10 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
btw, the surest bet of all is a 100 point scorer in the Q, only 1 hasn't made it in the last 10 years and it's Bouchard who's still developing in Washington's farm and has nice future ahead IMO and we're talking second round picks for Pominville and late first for Giroux

in fact, the surest bet of all is 50 points in the NCAA 3/3 in the last 10 years have made it to the NHL but it's only 3, then a 100 point season in the WHL again 1/1 has done it, then 5/5 for a point per game + 19 points in the NCAA, then 100 point season in the Q, then 5 fewer points than 1 point per game in the NCAA, then 1 point per game + 5 in the WHL is equal to a point per game + 10 in the OHL and 1 point per game +13 in the Q which give you more than 80% of success (includes later picks like Stajan, Pominville and so on); if you go outside that you have 16% chances in the NCAA, 8% in the WHL, less than 30% in the OHL and the Q

all of that is for forwards
I haven't been reading much of this, but I don't understand what you mean, there's been lots of 100 pt guys in the Q that don't make it. Are you just using guys picked in the 1st round that get 100 points?

I thought M-A Thinel was going to be a good one for us back when he was with Victo

montreal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 11:36 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
btw, the surest bet of all is a 100 point scorer in the Q, only 1 hasn't made it in the last 10 years and it's Bouchard who's still developing in Washington's farm and has nice future ahead IMO and we're talking second round picks for Pominville and late first for Giroux

in fact, the surest bet of all is 50 points in the NCAA 3/3 in the last 10 years have made it to the NHL but it's only 3, then a 100 point season in the WHL again 1/1 has done it, then 5/5 for a point per game + 19 points in the NCAA, then 100 point season in the Q, then 5 fewer points than 1 point per game in the NCAA, then 1 point per game + 5 in the WHL is equal to a point per game + 10 in the OHL and 1 point per game +13 in the Q which give you more than 80% of success (includes later picks like Stajan, Pominville and so on); if you go outside that you have 16% chances in the NCAA, 8% in the WHL, less than 30% in the OHL and the Q

all of that is for forwards
http://chl.ca/chlrecordBook.php?award=55

Seems to me there's pretty much no garantee. That's not even mentioning guys like Guy Rouleau, Alexandre Daigle, Simon Gamache, etc.

Old
04-07-2009, 12:03 PM
Mathletic

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
I haven't been reading much of this, but I don't understand what you mean, there's been lots of 100 pt guys in the Q that don't make it. Are you just using guys picked in the 1st round that get 100 points?

I thought M-A Thinel was going to be a good one for us back when he was with Victo
yes, I'm referring to players selected in the first 2 rounds like I've said earlier in the thread

Old
04-07-2009, 12:11 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
yes, I'm referring to players selected in the first 2 rounds like I've said earlier in the thread
That's why I asked cause I haven't been following this too much. So the problem is, your doing this after they have been drafted, the problem is that scouts need to predict the future, so all those 100 pt Q guys, how do you know which ones to pick in the 1st 2 rounds vs the ones that don't get picked there.

Old
04-07-2009, 12:25 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Well I'm not a fan of stats, I perfer watching them play and forming an opinion. I trust that Timmins knows what he's doing, since this the best prospect pool the Habs have had while he's been here, in a long long time.

Not saying that stats are worthless but they can be very misleading.

Old
04-07-2009, 12:27 PM
Mathletic

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Well I'm not a fan of stats, I perfer watching them play and forming an opinion. I trust that Timmins knows what he's doing, since this the best prospect pool the Habs have had while he's been here, in a long long time.

Not saying that stats are worthless but they can be very misleading.
anyone can choose what they like, but I'll take my chance with those and go for Gleannie over Holland, Kassian and so on

using the stats doesn't mean to turn your brain off, it only means that from the pool of player you have, perhaps you should concentrate on those who produced more and look at what they do good and start wondering why some other guys with supposed great abilities like the scoring machine Michael Henrich don't produce much

Old
04-07-2009, 01:10 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
again, I've told you I'm refering to players selected in the 1st 2 rounds, so forget Gamache and all those guys

the thresholds I listed mandate you to draft guys Cammalleri, Pominville, Dawes, Stempniak and so on in their respective rounds
So, Alexandre Daigle, Jason Bonsignore and whatnot...doesn't it mandate you also to draft them?

Yep, seems to me your stuff doesn't really work. It's hit or miss, much like any other method.

Old
04-07-2009, 01:12 PM
Mathletic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLHabsAK46 View Post
So, Alexandre Daigle, Jason Bonsignore and whatnot...doesn't it mandate you also to draft them?

Yep, seems to me your stuff doesn't really work. It's hit or miss, much like any other method.
great, ignore it, I'll work on it and when I'm head scout of the Canadiens I'll give you a call and I'll go get my Mitch Fadden in the 4th round ... oh no wait, more like some other team since the Canadiens don't care much for production in the first place

Last edited by Mathletic: 04-07-2009 at 01:20 PM.
Old
04-07-2009, 01:53 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
great, ignore it, I'll work on it and when I'm head scout of the Canadiens I'll give you a call and I'll go get my Mitch Fadden in the 4th round ... oh no wait, more like some other team since the Canadiens don't care much for production in the first place

This is too ridiculous. Timmins has proven year after year his method finds NHL talent all over the draft.

Congrats on pointing one example.

Old
04-07-2009, 04:46 PM
Mathletic

ok, I made a mistake in my methodology, I don't reach the % of success that most teams have

Old
04-07-2009, 05:37 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
anyone can choose what they like, but I'll take my chance with those and go for Gleannie over Holland, Kassian and so on

using the stats doesn't mean to turn your brain off, it only means that from the pool of player you have, perhaps you should concentrate on those who produced more and look at what they do good and start wondering why some other guys with supposed great abilities like the scoring machine Michael Henrich don't produce much
But the problem is that there's always guys who bloosm later on, like say Markus Naslund or guys like Zetterberg, etc... So stats can be misleading and finding that rare gem is extremely difficult for most scouts in the nhl.

As for taking Glennie over Holland/Kassian, it depends on what your team is looking for out of their players. Kassian brings the mix of toughness and skills that some teams will covet and others not as much. For me, I couldn't make a pick based off stats, I'd want to see how they compete, how they improve on their weaknesses, etc...

Old
04-07-2009, 05:46 PM
Toro

there have been some good threads to pad your ignore list, and this is one of them.

I seriously question anyone's hockey knowledge who has a beef with Timmins methods. He has provided us with the biggest pool of talent in our system since the 70's. The talent is starting to come up in waves now. In the next 2 yrs there will be another 6 or 7 guys ready tomake the jump to the NHL. Our system is the best in the League. I put our prospects (quantity and quality) up against anyone else's.

Just look at the Bull Dogs. If it wasn't for all the great young 1st year players that team would suck. Most great AHL teams are stacked with vets. The Bulldogs are led by a large group of youngsters. Youngsters drafted and acquired by Timmins and co.

And if FSU seminols ever becomes head scout of the Habs, thats the day I cheer for the Bruins.

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 07:47 PM
Mathletic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro View Post
there have been some good threads to pad your ignore list, and this is one of them.

I seriously question anyone's hockey knowledge who has a beef with Timmins methods. He has provided us with the biggest pool of talent in our system since the 70's. The talent is starting to come up in waves now. In the next 2 yrs there will be another 6 or 7 guys ready tomake the jump to the NHL. Our system is the best in the League. I put our prospects (quantity and quality) up against anyone else's.

Just look at the Bull Dogs. If it wasn't for all the great young 1st year players that team would suck. Most great AHL teams are stacked with vets. The Bulldogs are led by a large group of youngsters. Youngsters drafted and acquired by Timmins and co.

And if FSU seminols ever becomes head scout of the Habs, thats the day I cheer for the Bruins.
I was just joking and recognized my mistake