HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

If TB Wins the Lottery

Old
04-07-2009, 02:40 PM
JT 91 NYI*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersCup08 View Post
Okay, before you hang me, I have read the other threads similar to this, and I don't think they address my point specifically.

If TB wins the draft lottery, giving them No. 1 overall and (assuming) the Islanders land No. 2, I would say that it makes more sense for TB to draft Hedman because of their center situation of Lecavalier and Stamkos.

Therefore, since I believe that Tavares will go No. 1 overall, and Islanders would kill to have him, do you think TB would swap 1st rounders with the Isles? This way TB still gets Hedman, and they get whatever else the Isles are willing to part with. Even if it's just a 5th rounder, better than nothing.

Or, do you think the Isles would just settle for the No. 2 and risk taking Hedman (which is still not a bad pick at all) ?
You make a great point. The Islanders and Tampa would definitely swap picks in my opinion. I hear Tampa wants Hedman bad, and he does make a lot of sense for that franchise. They are loaded at center already and this is their chance to get a cornerstone defenseman. We all know the 50 reasons why the Islanders need John Tavares. If we end up with Hedman, I would be happy, and there really isn't much difference in terms of value but it would make lots of sense for the Isles to ship a 2nd Rounder to Tampa to swap picks.

JT 91 NYI* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 02:51 PM
JT 91 NYI*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsGetTavares View Post
How about TB trades the number 1 to NYI for their 1st and second and third? That way TB gets hedman plus a second and third?
I would give up Boston's 2nd and Pittsburgh 3rd. To be honest, I think we all agree their isn't much difference in the value of the two players, and I think the Islanders would do a deal as long as it was resonably small. I wouldn't give up our #2 or San Jose's #1 to swap spots.

Old
04-07-2009, 02:53 PM
Malakhov

Send a message via MSN to Malakhov
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
Problem is if they trade Vinny for a bunch of good but nothing special type players they will lose the deal. I don't make a trade with Montreal unless Price and/or Markov is put in the package.
And Tampa won't make a trade if Markov is in the package.

The point in trading Lecavalier for Tampa is to shed some salary and get good young players in return, not to get themselves another big contract. They won't be trading a player with a cap hit of 7+ millions and get in return a player who's earning 5.75millions.

Malakhov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 03:08 PM
Lutzinho

i think islanders and tampa would swap the picks... but the islanders won't give up more than a third rounder to move up one spot, imo

Lutzinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 03:17 PM
JT 91 NYI*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutzinho View Post
i think islanders and tampa would swap the picks... but the islanders won't give up more than a third rounder to move up one spot, imo
That's what I'm sayin. I just don't think there is a whole lot of difference in value. I think Tavares is more valuable to the Islanders and Hedman is more valuable to the Lightning.

Old
04-08-2009, 05:51 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT 91 NYI View Post
You make a great point. The Islanders and Tampa would definitely swap picks in my opinion. I hear Tampa wants Hedman bad, and he does make a lot of sense for that franchise. They are loaded at center already and this is their chance to get a cornerstone defenseman. We all know the 50 reasons why the Islanders need John Tavares. If we end up with Hedman, I would be happy, and there really isn't much difference in terms of value but it would make lots of sense for the Isles to ship a 2nd Rounder to Tampa to swap picks.
So, if the Islanders would have the same hunch about "Hedman to TB" as the many fans on this board - and uhhhh, it's like something most any semi-informed fan would think of - then why would they give up anything to move up?

In the OP's scenario, it's logical for Lawton to call Snow and ask to trade down, but why does Snow do that? He was a college man, after all:-)

So even if Lawton says, "Hey Garth, we're taking Tavares #1, but I'll GIVE you the opportunity to convince me to take Hedman #2 instead", then all Snow has to say is "Uhhh, then we'll take Hedman #2. We love 'em both."

Much more likely is that if TB is picking 1st and doesn't want Tavares, that they try to pit the teams picking 3, 4 and 5 against each other. In such a scenario, THEN the Islanders - should Snow be placing great hope in getting particularly Tavares - could get a little nervous that one of the others are looking to jump down to get him and thus, maybe discuss swapping picks with TB.

In general though, if TB is #1 and they want Hedman more than Tavares, then they're not helped in the swap department by having NYI pick 2nd. TB should just take the player they want.... or get cute and try a package deal - if they think they have enough star power and need more solid depth.

Judging from the picks and signings this Islander scouting staff has made the past two years, one could argue that they too are more inclined to take Hedman.

No matter what fans tend to think, the whole "Get Tavares because we need to sell tickets" thing is highly overrated and most likely NOT the say all, end all factor in deciding on Tavares or Hedman.

The Islander scouting staff is gonna pick not just the BPA, but the BPA for THEM.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote