HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

NYR 1st '09 + Zherdev's Rights

Old
04-06-2009, 03:53 PM
NYR Viper

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy27 View Post
No chance Naslund or Rozsival get you anywhere near the first round. Having several decent picks would be nice, but I think the team is in a good position to try and land a high end guy. Too much depth, not enough talent.
I understand what you are saying there but Dominic Moore and Nik Antropov both got 2nd round picks as rentals at the deadline. Rozsival and Naslund I would imagine, who are under contract for a year or more may return a bit more. It may be something like Rozsival + 2nd 09 for 1st 09 but I think if Sather wanted I think he could find a 1st for at a player like Rozsival. Naslund, I would take a 2nd.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 07:43 PM
Richter35

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
I understand what you are saying there but Dominic Moore and Nik Antropov both got 2nd round picks as rentals at the deadline. Rozsival and Naslund I would imagine, who are under contract for a year or more may return a bit more. It may be something like Rozsival + 2nd 09 for 1st 09 but I think if Sather wanted I think he could find a 1st for at a player like Rozsival. Naslund, I would take a 2nd.
Naslund is ready for the scrap heap, coupled with his NTC he's not returning a 2nd. Rozy on the other hand I could see getting something like a 2nd, late pick and prospect. He's good even if the salary is a tad high, I could see the freed cap going into re-signing morris or going after another UFA dman (which im sure glen will s-hit the bed on AGAIN).

Richter35 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 07:53 PM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richter35 View Post
Naslund is ready for the scrap heap, coupled with his NTC he's not returning a 2nd. Rozy on the other hand I could see getting something like a 2nd, late pick and prospect. He's good even if the salary is a tad high, I could see the freed cap going into re-signing morris or going after another UFA dman (which im sure glen will s-hit the bed on AGAIN).
This is so far off lol...

wubwubwubwub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 07:57 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcrew View Post
This is so far off lol...
really? Mccabe got what exactly last offseason? And please dont tell me Rozsival is worse than Mccabe because then you obviously havent watched Rozi play.

Old
04-06-2009, 08:50 PM
Pukboy5kroner

Quote:
really? Mccabe got what exactly last offseason? And please dont tell me Rozsival is worse than Mccabe because then you obviously havent watched Rozi play.
McCabe is having a pretty good year. He didn't get much either.

McCabe and a 4th round pick for Mike Van Ryn was the deal, so I don't get your comparison.

Pukboy5kroner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 09:20 PM
Nunymare
Global Moderator
A Neverending Cycle

vCash: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundin is my hero View Post
Send him to Russia! This guy is not a team player! Take what you can for him, greedy players never make for playoff winners
My goodness, what's with people forgetting the in their posts these days?

Nik is not greedy.

Nunymare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 10:06 PM
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth

vCash: 1550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pukboy5kroner View Post
McCabe is having a pretty good year. He didn't get much either.

McCabe and a 4th round pick for Mike Van Ryn was the deal, so I don't get your comparison.
To the poster you quoted:

McCabe and a 4th received almost nothing in return. 27GP from a slightly overpaid defenseman with known injury problems.

In addition, it isn't a stretch to say McCabe is more valuable, and is a better player then Rozsival in all aspects of the game.

-Offensively, goalscoring, passing, PPQB, McCabe blows Rozy out of the water.
-There's a reason McCabe came in the top 5 for Norris trophy voting one season. He doesn't shy away from physical contact, has an amazing point shot, can QB a PP, and is no slouch in his defensive zone.
-Rozy on the other hand in the 08-09 season at least, along with Redden, seems absolutely lost in his own zone and even more lost offensively
-This season alone, McCabe has 6goals and 7more points then Rozy in 7 less games.
-Last season, in an injury ridden season for McCabe was the only season in Rozy's career he has outscore McCabe
-McCabe's cap hit is only 750,000 more, for a shorter length, for a far superior player imo.

HockeyThoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 10:10 PM
Ace88*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun View Post

McCabe and a 4th received almost nothing in return. 27GP from a slightly overpaid defenseman with known injury problems.

In addition, it isn't a stretch to say McCabe is more valuable, and is a better player then Rozsival in all aspects of the game.

-There's a reason McCabe came in the top 5 for Norris trophy voting one season. He doesn't shy away from physical contact, has an amazing point shot, can QB a PP, and is no slouch in his defensive zone.
-Rozy on the other hand in the 08-09 season at least, along with Redden, seems absolutely lost in his own zone and even more lost offensively
-This season alone, McCabe has 6goals and 7more points then Rozy in 7 less games.
-Last season, in an injury ridden season for McCabe was the only season in Rozy's career he has outscore McCabe
-McCabe's cap hit is only 750,000 more, for a shorter length, for a far superior player imo.

You live in TORONTO. Do you not remember multiple, awful game-losing own-goals? How about his brutal giveaways in the neutral zone and at the blue line that led to countless goals? McCabe was RUN OUT of Toronto. He had one good year and gets a giant contract. Bryan McCabe is most certainly a slouch defensively. He's awful defensively if he's doing anything other than checking.

Ace88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 10:22 PM
Doug19

Considering Z is arguably the top player on the Rangers squad this year and he and his agent have tended to overvalue his ability I'm going to bet he is going to be asking for 5 million + per year. Hitch was the best thing that has happened to young Zherdev and his attitude/desire and such would have/could have been changed by Hitch, sadly though I don't think we will ever get to see the superstar that is inside of Zherdev come out. Some team will sign him this off-season but it probably won't be the Rangers. He will most likely go to a team with strong Russian/Ukrainian influence because he is most comfortable around his own nationality. I'd welcome him back with open arms if the shot was ever there for him to come back to Columbus.

Doug19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 10:27 PM
Ace88*

Wouldn't be surprised if Burke signs Zherdev. No way he'd be handing him $5mil+ though. Grabovski + Poni/Kulemin + Zherdev would be a solid (bela)Russian scoring line.

Ace88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 10:43 PM
Doug19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace88 View Post
Wouldn't be surprised if Burke signs Zherdev. No way he'd be handing him $5mil+ though. Grabovski + Poni/Kulemin + Zherdev would be a solid (bela)Russian scoring line.
I can't see Z wanting to go to Toronto nor Burke wanting a Zherdev on his team. I'm curious to see how his situation plays out because I really believe he will hold out until he gets his 5 million plus, and a team will definitely give him that. Maybe an L.A. takes a chance with him or a Montreal if they could afford to fit him under the cap.

Old
04-06-2009, 11:18 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun View Post

What I was showing is that Mccabe barely played at all and still was able to bring back a pretty good young d-man. Van Ryn has/had value.

Also, Rozsival hasnt looked lost since he was able to work his way back into shape after off-season hip surgery that kept him from working out all offseason. He has looked pretty good actually and is a much better defensive d-man than Mccabe.

Old
04-06-2009, 11:24 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougRiffle View Post
Considering Z is arguably the top player on the Rangers squad this year and he and his agent have tended to overvalue his ability I'm going to bet he is going to be asking for 5 million + per year. Hitch was the best thing that has happened to young Zherdev and his attitude/desire and such would have/could have been changed by Hitch, sadly though I don't think we will ever get to see the superstar that is inside of Zherdev come out. Some team will sign him this off-season but it probably won't be the Rangers. He will most likely go to a team with strong Russian/Ukrainian influence because he is most comfortable around his own nationality. I'd welcome him back with open arms if the shot was ever there for him to come back to Columbus.
i'd just like to know how you figured that out?

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 11:27 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Would this be enough to move the Rangers into the top 7 this year? Top 10?
Might grab Edmonton's pick.

thadd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 11:47 PM
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth

vCash: 1550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace88 View Post

You live in TORONTO. Do you not remember multiple, awful game-losing own-goals? How about his brutal giveaways in the neutral zone and at the blue line that led to countless goals? McCabe was RUN OUT of Toronto. He had one good year and gets a giant contract. Bryan McCabe is most certainly a slouch defensively. He's awful defensively if he's doing anything other than checking.
One good season..give me a break.

01-02 - 82GP: 17G-43pts 129PIM (13th overall D scoring, 3rd in goals)
03-04 - 75GP: 16G-53pts 86PIM (4th overall D Scoring, 3rd in goals, 4th in Norris voting, 2nd Team All Star)
05-06 - 73GP: 19G-68pts 116PIM (3rd overall D scoring, 3rd in goals, on 2006 Canadian Olympic team)
06-07 - 82GP: 15G-57pts 115PIM (10th overall D Scoring, 8th in goals)

That looks like 4 out of 6 tremendous seasons for Bryan McCabe

Although McCabe made a few very wellknown badly timed gaffes, that is hardly a fair subject sample of defensive work. He was a hardworker all around the ice and was pretty physical. Its also practically undisputable that Tomas Kaberles stats, and overall play is much better with McCabe as his partner than anyone else.

Quote:
What I was showing is that Mccabe barely played at all and still was able to bring back a pretty good young d-man. Van Ryn has/had value.

Also, Rozsival hasnt looked lost since he was able to work his way back into shape after off-season hip surgery that kept him from working out all offseason. He has looked pretty good actually and is a much better defensive d-man than Mccabe.
Mike Van Ryn was hardly young at age 28 at the time of the trade in comparison to McCabe who was 32.

The fact that Bryan McCabe + a 4th could only bring a defenseman of Mike Van Ryns calibre, a defenseman who put up 2pts in 20gp in his final season with the Panthers and over the past seasons in Florida missed a number of games for various reasons, including:
Missed 1 game (hip flexor).
Missed 1 game (thigh injury).
Missed 1 game (shoulder injury).
Missed 2 games (flu).
Missed 1 game (hand injury).
Missed 1 game (groin).
Missed 1 game (knee injury).
Missed the last 60 games of the regular season (wrist surgery).

He is hardly good value for Bryan McCabe.

HockeyThoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 11:49 PM
Doug19

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
i'd just like to know how you figured that out?
It's been stated in the past and I wish I could tell you when it was said but it was about 2 years ago. He felt most comfortable around his own nationality. He spent his first few years alienating himself from his Columbus teammates that were non-Russian, Alex Svitov was his best friend on the team. I just think that he would like to be around a solid Russian/Ukrainian population, and if that were the case then he might stay in New York City. Oh and not to mention he never attempted to learn English until last year.

Old
04-07-2009, 06:52 AM
JT 91 NYI*

Quote:
No chance Naslund or Rozsival get you anywhere near the first round. Having several decent picks would be nice, but I think the team is in a good position to try and land a high end guy. Too much depth, not enough talent.
Roszival has no trade value with that contract and Naslund is old

JT 91 NYI* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 07:10 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
I absolutely agree but The way I see it is that it may be better of the Rangers could somehow get a few picks in this years 1st round by trading away some players. Zherdev, Naslund, Rozsival may all be options.
Sorry to tell you this, but if you're getting a first rounder for Naslund or Rozsival, it's because the Rags are sending their first with either one, and the 1st rounder is lower than theirs.

Those 2 have negative trade value.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 07:30 AM
Xoggz22
HFB Partner

Zherdev is clearly the most talented player on the Rangers outside of Lundqvist. His history of lazy play is well documented but in his last year in Columbus he became a team player and showed the promise of being a superstar. His all world skill set is undeniable but his motivation seems to be like a light switch.

The other well documented issue with the Rangers is the fact they have 11(?) players signed for next year and/or beyond that accounts for $42M in cap money. That hurts. Zherdev is going to push for $5M or more and his stats as they currently stand could be argued that he is most deserving on the Rangers. No doubt his agent will compare him to other players ON the team and push for the higher dollar. With other valuable RFA's to sign I don't see how Nik stays a Ranger. This was exactly one of the reasons Columbus traded him. The other being the need to improve their back end which Tyutin has clearly done.

Zherdev would bring a first rounder for sure but how many teams will want to help the Rangers out and part with such an important part of today's cap world. His value will be lower than Rangers fans would like not because of his talent or potential but because their GM is a moron who can't manage the cap.

Xoggz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 04:00 PM
hashmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoggz22 View Post
Zherdev is clearly the most talented player on the Rangers outside of Lundqvist. His history of lazy play is well documented but in his last year in Columbus he became a team player and showed the promise of being a superstar. His all world skill set is undeniable but his motivation seems to be like a light switch.

The other well documented issue with the Rangers is the fact they have 11(?) players signed for next year and/or beyond that accounts for $42M in cap money. That hurts. Zherdev is going to push for $5M or more and his stats as they currently stand could be argued that he is most deserving on the Rangers. No doubt his agent will compare him to other players ON the team and push for the higher dollar. With other valuable RFA's to sign I don't see how Nik stays a Ranger. This was exactly one of the reasons Columbus traded him. The other being the need to improve their back end which Tyutin has clearly done.

Zherdev would bring a first rounder for sure but how many teams will want to help the Rangers out and part with such an important part of today's cap world. His value will be lower than Rangers fans would like not because of his talent or potential but because their GM is a moron who can't manage the cap.
...and the fact that he has no idea how to play as a teammate, and he cannot be counted on or trusted to do the right things in big games, and as a result he was resented by his teammates causing an inability to unify and come together as a team, and he would always be that 'problem child' that would have to be begged to play the right way...but man does he have a great wrist shot and can he dangle...they also needed a defenseman....

Hitchcock got him playing well so he had some trade value and Sather bit.

Last edited by hashmarks: 04-07-2009 at 06:04 PM.
hashmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 04:11 PM
weplaythetrap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
Didn't Zherdev keep holding out for more and more money in Columbus? He seems like he'll be a hard guy to sign since he's never been the type to take a discount.
This is why he'll be good for the rangers. Because glenn will give him a 7mill/per year contract.

weplaythetrap is offline   Reply With Quote