HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Van/edm

Old
04-04-2009, 06:10 PM
excape

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salim786 View Post
Luongo is a franchise goalie with a few solid years left in him
You make it sound like he's on the downturn of his career. He's only 30 (turned 30 today, actually).

The only way he's going to the Oilers is if they somehow manage to sign him next offseason.

excape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 07:18 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salim786 View Post
Oilers acquire:

Roberto Luongo

Canucks acquire:

2009 1st Round Pick
2010 1st round pick
Jordan Eberle
Taylor Chorney

Luongo is a franchise goalie with a few solid years left in him; Roloson is too old to build around. Eberle is a sniper who THN rated as the 17th best prospect in the NHL; Chorney is a solid prospect as well. Also consider that Edmonton most likely will have a top-14 pick this summer.

As an Oilers fan I think it's an overpayment, but would do it anyway just because this organization isn't a Cup contender yet and building around Luongo seems like the best way to go since we don't have any budding franchise forwards/dmen.

Flame away.
You know that Eberle is the only forward Edmonton has in the system who's got a chance at turning out to be a top 6 forward? No?

Did you also know that Luongo only has 1 year left on his contract? No?

Well to let you know, that's just a crazy deal.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 07:52 PM
Back in 94
In Gillis I trust

No thanks from a canuck perspective.

Back in 94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 08:44 PM
eklunds source

In TSN's poll of players to build around, Luongo placed third behind only Crosby and Ovechkin. If you're going to make a proposal including Luongo, think "Is this a package Pittsburgh might accept for Crosby?". Hint: No amount of draft picks are going to 'equalize' the value.

eklunds source is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 11:04 PM
Zubrus Coffee Maker
Blinded by my Zubrus

how many all-star goalies have been traded for picks and prospects lately?

Zubrus Coffee Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 11:06 PM
Schenn
In Rod We Trust

vCash: 816
worst propsal ever

Schenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 01:27 AM
dutchcrunch14

why would would we trade in own div...

dutchcrunch14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 01:29 AM
PeakOil
Loyal To The Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
You know that Eberle is the only forward Edmonton has in the system who's got a chance at turning out to be a top 6 forward? No?
Omark? Schremp (ya I know he's got a bad rep but I still believe), Potulny perhaps, Brule, Nash someday, Kytnar 1/10. Probably a few more who have a chance too, our prospect pool isn't that shallow

PeakOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 10:35 AM
The Pucks

What you have to understand, if for some strange reason Luongo did go on the trade block you would have to beat out other teams to get him. As has been said about a million times Montreal would go crazy trying to aquire him, a French Superstar that might actually want to go home? After that take a look at Philly, think maybe a great goalie might be in their sights, and they have some great youth to work a deal.

The bidding would be intense.

The Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 10:46 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pucks View Post
What you have to understand, if for some strange reason Luongo did go on the trade block you would have to beat out other teams to get him. As has been said about a million times Montreal would go crazy trying to aquire him, a French Superstar that might actually want to go home? After that take a look at Philly, think maybe a great goalie might be in their sights, and they have some great youth to work a deal.

The bidding would be intense.
beyond that Luongo has a NTC... does anyone really believe that he would waive his NTC to go to Edmonton? I personally don't believe that Gillis would even approach him to ask him to waive his NTC for the possibility of moving him to a division rival - but if Luongo wanted out, why would he leave a team that is having more success overall, and despite missing the playoffs last year, they've been to the playoffs more often then the oilers recently, that doesn't really have anything else to attract him to the team or city?

I could see him wanting to go to Montreal... home-town ties and all... I could see him wanting to go to Detroit - great team and all... but if he's leaving the canucks, than he's only going to waive his NTC to go to a situation that is guaranteed to be better for him for professional and/or personal reasons... I can't imagine Edmonton fitting in that group... at best, they'd be at the same level as Vancouver for him, and I can't see him waiving his NTC to move to another similar situation that has more unknowns for him than he's already in.

Luongo to Edmonton just will not happen... you could throw half your team on the block, but IMO the discussions for such a trade to happen would never even get into a trade discussion between these two teams (which aren't likely to deal with each other on any other trade either!).

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 11:22 AM
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire

vCash: 50
goaltending isnt the hole for the oilers....IMO...I think it makes more sense to go for horton and doan...somehow.

BoldNewLettuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 11:28 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohaj View Post
goaltending isnt the hole for the oilers....IMO...I think it makes more sense to go for horton and doan...somehow.
goaltending is a major issue for the Oilers from what I'm seeing. This year you're fine, but Roloson is 40 at the start of next season - and next year is he your #1 guy that you lean on? Do the oilers have anything in their system that can step into that #1 role as early as next year? Is there a reliable guy that can even split duties right now?

goaltending is not an issue this season, but the next point at which the oilers can make a trade, goaltending should be a major issue to address on that team.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2009, 11:33 AM
hfboardsuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Jersey Devils View Post
how many all-star goalies have been traded for picks and prospects lately?
Huet.

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 02:01 PM
Homesick

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver_2010 View Post
Would the Habs trade away Roy? would the Devils trade away Broduer? Would the Sharks trade away Kippisoff?

Then why would we want to trade away Luongo for just picks, prospect or young players? The way i see it, it will have to come to

First line player (elite forward)
First pair defenseman (elite defenseman)
Three first round

Yeah, its a massive overpayment, but this is how much we dont want him to go.
Fixed it for you.

1) Vancouver would never trade Luongo to a division rival, and have him shut them out for the next couple of years
2) Edmonton wouldnt trade players like Gagner and Eberle to a division rival and have them light them up after Luongo is Luongone.

If Luongo doesnt re-sign in Vancouver I could see him trying to get back to the state of Florida since his wifes family is all there.
Can Luongo sign an extension after July 1? If he could and was willing to sign a long term extension then Tambellini should bend over and ask Gillis to let him know when he's done(thats why Lowe hired him)

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 06:10 PM
sTaMk0S

I would kill myself if Luongo went to the Oilers.

sTaMk0S is offline   Reply With Quote