HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Gomez Under Torts

Old
04-07-2009, 03:03 PM
gardenfaithful44

vCash: 500
Gomez Under Torts

I know I'll most likely get flamed for posting this now and not waiting till after the season. I recently saw a thread about trading Gomez to Buffalo. I know Gomez is overpaid, but I'm excited to see what he can do under a full season with Torts. The off-season workouts, training camp, etc.. I think this is a player who can flourish in a Torts type system.

Thoughts????

gardenfaithful44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 03:27 PM
ThirdEye

Still needs a scoring winger to take the pressure off him a bit. And don't tell me Jagr, Shanahan of Naslund. Jagr didn't play to his strength, Shanahan was too slow, and Naslund is just plain ole' washed up.

Callahan has 21 goals playing mostly with Gomez. Get someone for Gomez similar to Callahan but with better scoring ability and things should work out ok. I can see a line of [said winger - Gomez - Callahan] working out pretty well next season.

Hey, if another teams wants to take on Gomez's salary then I'm sure Sather won't think too hard before trading him. However, since he's probably not going anywhere might as well find someone to play with him. There are going to be a ton of decent UFA's this season. Please don't **** up Sather

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 03:27 PM
GAGLine

I'm sure he'll have a better statistical year under Torts next year, but he will still be the same player that turns it over too often in the offensive zone. Regardless of his production next year, his contract is an albatross. If we have an opportunity to trade him, we have to do it IMO.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 03:30 PM
Geddy Lee

If we can pick up someone or two who can put the puck in the net. He needs a 40 goal scorer on his line. I would love it if we could somehow pull off a trade for Heatley.

I also wouldn't be shocked if he wasnt on the team next year. Out of Drury, Redden, and Gomez. Gomez is the player with the most upside. I think you will find a team willing to take his contract on before you will for the other two.

Geddy Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 03:31 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenfaithful44 View Post
I know I'll most likely get flamed for posting this now and not waiting till after the season. I recently saw a thread about trading Gomez to Buffalo. I know Gomez is overpaid, but I'm excited to see what he can do under a full season with Torts. The off-season workouts, training camp, etc.. I think this is a player who can flourish in a Torts type system.

Thoughts????
With the large number of FAs around the league and Gomez's contract, I wouldn't be too concerned about him being gone this summer.

04-07-2009, 03:55 PM
DevFan-RU-

Send a message via AIM to DevFan-RU-
Why don't the Rangers pay Brian Gionta $7M over 5 years? He's perfect! An ex-Devil coming up on UFA and also played well with Gomez.

DevFan-RU- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevFan-RU- View Post
Why don't the Rangers pay Brian Gionta $7M over 5 years? He's perfect! An ex-Devil coming up on UFA and also played well with Gomez.
Dont even joke about that, because its actually probable considering our GM.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 04:17 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
Still needs a scoring winger to take the pressure off him a bit. And don't tell me Jagr, Shanahan of Naslund. Jagr didn't play to his strength, Shanahan was too slow, and Naslund is just plain ole' washed up.

Callahan has 21 goals playing mostly with Gomez. Get someone for Gomez similar to Callahan but with better scoring ability and things should work out ok. I can see a line of [said winger - Gomez - Callahan] working out pretty well next season.

Hey, if another teams wants to take on Gomez's salary then I'm sure Sather won't think too hard before trading him. However, since he's probably not going anywhere might as well find someone to play with him. There are going to be a ton of decent UFA's this season. Please don't **** up Sather

Gomez needs a legitimate 1st line center playing ahead of him. Gomez had the wingers, he hasn't done much with him. I hope we can move him out at the draft or the off season. We aren't winning anything with both Gomez & Drury on this team. Gomez still has some decent vaule.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 04:22 PM
NYR Viper

Honestly, if Sather could find someone like a Chris Higgins to go along with Callahan to play with Gomez I think that line would work out well. Two player who can get in and retrieve the puck and go hard to the net. That is who I would think would work well with Gomez. If Sather can then resign Zherdev and Antropov to play with Drury and use Avery and Dubi as wingers for Anisimov next season that would be my ideal top-9.

Callahan-Gomez-Higgins
Antropov-Drury-Zherdev
Dubinsky-Anisimov-Avery
Korpikoski-Betts-Sjostrom

Gomez needs grinders who can help retrieve the puck in the corners and go hard to the net.(Callahan and Higgins)
Drury needs skilled wingers and some size on his line to help take some pressure off of him in front of the net.(Antropov and Zherdev)
Anisimov should start as a center and I think having two hard-nosed players like Dubi and Avery on his line will help him get involved right away.

Naslund would have to be traded in order for this to be possible.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 04:25 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Gomez doesn't strike me as the type who is influenced by anyone other than himself. Will he benefit from Tortorella's system? I'm not sure. He's been playing better, but he's always been a second half guy so we won't know the final verdict until this fall.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 04:25 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Wait, Buff wouldn't resign Drury at that insane price but they are going to trade assets to take on one of the worst contracts in the NHL? I don't buy this rumor.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 04:26 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Wait, Buff wouldn't resign Drury at that insane price but they are going to trade assets to take on one of the worst contracts in the NHL? I don't buy this rumor.
It's not a rumor. Another poster suggested it in the trade rumor board.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 04:28 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
It's not a rumor. Another poster suggested it in the trade rumor board.
Oh sry, the OP said he saw it in a thread, I assumed the thread was started by a rumor. It's about now the nonplayoff team rumors start anyway no.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 04:32 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Gomez is a very good 2nd line center. He isn't and never will be, no matter what system, an elite #1 that we so crave and haven't had.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 04:43 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
I actually wouldn't mind taking a chance on Gionta for one year.

"Okay, Joel. You've had your fun. Give your brother his pads back." - Trxjw
Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 04:44 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevFan-RU- View Post
If we could get Gionta for 7M over 5 years (something like 1.2M a year), I would do it.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 04:57 PM
Fitzy
Relative to what?

vCash: 50
I think Gomez is going to be who he is with any given winger. He is a offensive catalyst who makes his linemates better. I've been very pleased with his performance under Tortorella thus far.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 04:59 PM
mess1088

Like everyone else said, Gomez needs a scoring Winger, which is something he hasn't had since coming to the Big Apple.

If someone can come in on the wing and put the puck in the back of the net, we'll all be okay.

mess1088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 05:00 PM
XParise9X

Send a message via AIM to XParise9X
A little random since it has little to do with a permenant winger for gomez but what do rangers fans think about a parise gomez langenbrunner line for the US olympics next year?

XParise9X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 05:25 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by XParise9X View Post
A little random since it has little to do with a permenant winger for gomez but what do rangers fans think about a parise gomez langenbrunner line for the US olympics next year?
ehh, I myself woul rather see a line like this:
Parise-Gomez-Brown

But that is just me.

Possibly a second or third line of Langenbrunner-Drury-Pominville might work out well leaving Kane, Kessel and someone like Higgins or Modano or someone else for that second line.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote