HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Tomas Kaberle

Old
04-07-2009, 05:08 PM
C77

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by grabo84 View Post
I probably should have elaborated on what I said about your first proposal, I suppose. I'd just be worried that we'd be trading for a guy with only a year left on his contract, who might want to leave for nothing. If we could trade Kaberle for Savard and extend Savard's contract on the same day, I'd be all for it.
I agree, Toronto would need to be able to resign Savard. I think he's worth around $6.5 million a year or so.

I was thinking the Bruins might be willing to part with Savard in the offseason because many people don't seem to think he will be resigned here in Boston. From a fan's point of view the Bruins right now have 2 centers that are on the smallish side in Krejci and Savard but they are both fantastic playmakers.

This is something that is noticeable playing a team like Philadelphia or Washington that are just big teams. The Bruins still compete well against those teams but I think they are the two toughest matchups for us in the East.

It might not be a good idea to mess with something that isn't broken since the Bruins have a great offense and great chemistry this year. The chemistry issue was talked about so much at the trading deadline. In the offseason the Bruins would probably be more likely to part with an important player.

C77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 05:35 PM
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
Following the Kings as closely as I do (I work about 10 minutes from the Staples center), I don't think there is any chance of them making that kind of move. Lombardi has got as clear as mandate as any GM in the league and total control. The Kings are also drawing pretty well and are in no rush in their development.

If they did make a move, it would be closer to the kind of deals the BJs have made over the years - trading a pick for a youngish vet who can step in and stay under contract for years.

Put simply, the Leafs have no chance whatsoever of getting that pick without putting prime young assets (i.e., Schenn) on the table.
Just for your information, this year the leafs were offered a top 5 pick for SCHENN, and the Leafs denied it. So, yea, thats a HELL NO from us.

As far as Kaberle, if he gets traded, it will be for a Mid 1st, a Mid prospect and a young roster player in return. I am also certain that he could be traded straight up for a 5-7 pick.

Last edited by Chandrashekhar Limit: 04-07-2009 at 05:43 PM.
Chandrashekhar Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 06:41 PM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMITING REAGENT View Post
Just for your information, this year the leafs were offered a top 5 pick for SCHENN, and the Leafs denied it. So, yea, thats a HELL NO from us.

As far as Kaberle, if he gets traded, it will be for a Mid 1st, a Mid prospect and a young roster player in return. I am also certain that he could be traded straight up for a 5-7 pick.

Incorrect. Burke CLAIMS that the Leafs were offered a POTENTIAL top five pick back in Feb. Since the draft order wasn't close to being finished yet, you don't know where that pick would be right now. For all you know, it was a team like Ottawa that was top five pick at the time but is not going to be closer to the 10 or 11.

Also, you'll note that I never said the Leafs would offer Schenn for LA's first. I said it was the kind of return that LA would need to make the deal.

The "I am also certain that Kaberle could return a 5-7 pick" is the part of your post that I find to be the biggest reach. Given that similar dmen (like Boyle) failed to return anything close to that kind fo value, I think your expectations are more than a little optimistic.

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 07:14 PM
Isles_Guy*

Send a message via Yahoo to Isles_Guy*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentbreakaway23 View Post
He should be at least worth a 15-30 1st round pick, but just MHO. Maybe 20-30 would be more reasonable.

He hasn't had a good year, he's been injured. On the right squad he'll be good again.

As much as we Leaf fans over-value him, there are many other NHL fans who under-value him. You're not going to find a player with that skill-set and earning such a bargain of a salary who can give you the type of production that Kaberle can.
I can...... his name is Mark Streit

Isles_Guy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 07:26 PM
grabo84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles_Guy View Post
I can...... his name is Mark Streit
And they aren't interested in trading him.

grabo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 07:38 PM
Isles_Guy*

Quote:
very true buddy but he just asked for us to "find" one and I just wanted to be helpful

I still think you're the closest in assessing Tomas value

my original Idea of NJ 1st. Bergfors and Corrente is pretty good

Old
04-07-2009, 07:38 PM
Nizdizzle
Salary cap? Huh?

Quote:
very true buddy but he just asked for us to "find" one and I just wanted to be helpful

And I don't think you'd find a Leaf fan that finds that package unreasonable.

Nizdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 07:43 PM
grabo84

Quote:
Yup, something like that would be reasonable. Like we were into earlier in the thread, Burke might prefer more established players, but that's a good deal.

Edit: But yeah, Streit reminds me this year of Kaberle in his breakout season. He's been a real revelation for the Islanders, they really lucked out in getting him. To think Hainsey and Redden were the other prizes last summer...

Old
04-07-2009, 07:50 PM
Darth Milbury

Quote:

The probably would, if they could get the return some Leaf fans are expecting for Kaberle.

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 08:14 PM
Philly85
Moody'

Toronto fans may not like this but I would suggest Edmonton tries to deal for Kaberle...

I know his cap hit is just slightly over 4 million, am I right?

Well since they are in rebuild mode, could I suggest that Edmonton swing a deal with the Leafs involving:

Tom Gilbert (still has tons of potential, size, puck moving ability, PK/PP already playing in a top 4 role and is young, signed long term)

Andrew Cogliano (Torontonians should know what they're getting here, speed, skill, goal scoring ability & heart)

And maybe throw in a 1st round pick, or Bobby Nilsson + a 2nd?

So the deal would be,

to Toronto: Gilbert, Cogliano + 1st round pick (2010/2011)

or Gilbert, Cogliano + Robert Nilsson + 2nd round pick (09/10)

to Edmonton: Tomas Kaberle

Last edited by Philly85: 04-07-2009 at 08:28 PM.
Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 08:31 PM
Isles_Guy*

Quote:
Yup, something like that would be reasonable. Like we were into earlier in the thread, Burke might prefer more established players, but that's a good deal.

Edit: But yeah, Streit reminds me this year of Kaberle in his breakout season. He's been a real revelation for the Islanders, they really lucked out in getting him. To think Hainsey and Redden were the other prizes last summer...
between you and me I cant see taking more established players. MLSE is as bad as Dolan and co. Leaf fans for all the greif the Idiot fringe brings to the fanbase are actually pretty savvy. the Idiots tend to make the vast majority look worse than they should. and as a result MLSE gets away with the myth that the fans will not accept a true rebuild. The truth is Real Leaf fans want a true rebuild so that they can build an Emotional identification with the players and get out of this endless mediocrity loop. so to me I think if thats what Burke is doing I think its a mistake. I think making the playoffs in 2 years at the expense of growing a solid foundation is a mistake and it smacks of MLSE looking at the balance sheet above the best interests of the fans

Old
04-07-2009, 08:38 PM
grabo84

Quote:
between you and me I cant see taking more established players. MLSE is as bad as Dolan and co. Leaf fans for all the greif the Idiot fringe brings to the fanbase are actually pretty savvy. the Idiots tend to make the vast majority look worse than they should. and as a result MLSE gets away with the myth that the fans will not accept a true rebuild. The truth is Real Leaf fans want a true rebuild so that they can build an Emotional identification with the players and get out of this endless mediocrity loop. so to me I think if thats what Burke is doing I think its a mistake. I think making the playoffs in 2 years at the expense of growing a solid foundation is a mistake and it smacks of MLSE looking at the balance sheet above the best interests of the fans
I don't know about that. When I say more established players I mean 2nd or 3rd year pros, so the two aren't mutually exclusive. A player like Fleischmann or Laich would be the best example, in that they're young enough to stick through a rebuild, but with some upside, and less risk.

Old
04-07-2009, 08:40 PM
grabo84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
So the deal would be,

Leafs fans would love that deal, but I don't think Edmonton needs Kaberle.

Old
04-07-2009, 11:48 PM
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE

Quote:
Toronto fans may not like this but I would suggest Edmonton tries to deal for Kaberle...

Well since they are in rebuild mode, could I suggest that Edmonton swing a deal with the Leafs involving:

Tom Gilbert (still has tons of potential, size, puck moving ability, PK/PP already playing in a top 4 role and is young, signed long term)

Andrew Cogliano (Torontonians should know what they're getting here, speed, skill, goal scoring ability & heart)

So the deal would be,

That is a great deal. I would rather prefer the 1st. anyways, this kind of offer should be enough for burke to swing the deal. Good proposal.

Chandrashekhar Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 12:41 AM
EucaLEAFtys

Quote:

So the deal would be,

Both of these options are very acceptable, although I am leaning a bit more toward the one involving the 1st round pick even though it's in the 2010/2011 draft.

Excellent job!

EucaLEAFtys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 12:48 AM
EucaLEAFtys

Quote:

I think your proposal is quite good. It seems to fit previous speculation as to T. Kaberle's worth in trade.

Nice job!

EucaLEAFtys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 01:25 AM
Ace88*

Quote:
Toronto: Gilbert, Cogliano + 1st round pick (2010/2011)
this is the best proposal i think i can realistically see happening. I totally would not mind Gilbert, obviously Cogliano would have to verbally agree to sign once he got traded here and his speed would fit nicely into our system i imagine, although it would be better if the pick was in 09.

Ace88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 02:29 PM
Mojo19
He's Big, He's Bald

What would you guys think of this?

To TB:
Tomas Kaberle

To TOR:
1st Round 2010
2nd Round 2009
Steve Downie

Mojo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 02:36 PM
leaflover
New hope

vCash: 4850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo027 View Post
What would you guys think of this?

To TB:
Tomas Kaberle

To TOR:
1st Round 2010
2nd Round 2009
Steve Downie
I would do that and cross my fingers that Tampa has an equally off year in 09/10 and winds up with a lottery pick.

leaflover is offline   Reply With Quote