HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

In Plekanec I trust

Old
04-07-2009, 01:05 PM
Joe Cole

vCash: 500
I simply do not agree that he is not playing well of late.

In the Toronto game he was without a doubt the cause of at least 2 goals, regardless of how the score sheet, RDS or may posters here say.

Is he 100% out of his lack of confidence slump, no, but his game ha has a definite upswing in the past 4 or 5 games.

The fact his line mates are constantly changing, as is the role of his line, does not foster chemistry, or build his confidence, and that... is the difference between good and invisible in a game.

He has not been a star, but he is no where as bad as most say.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 01:07 PM
Turboflex*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxLapierre View Post
My point with his salary was to discuss his role. I failed a bit there.

HE'S PAID 1.7m TO CENTER A 2nd LINE.

Happy now?
You're point is quite clear, you can't help it if you talking to a fanboy who either doesn't understand no matter how clear it is, or is running back to some idiotic point per dollar arguement like a scoundrel to his last refuge.

Plekanec is not able to deliver centering a regular scoring line, he's been a miserable failure this season, and it's very arguable last season his impressive stats were mostly inflated by Kovalev being gangbuster on his wing all season.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 01:12 PM
DaHabMan

i believe in pleky, as i stated before give him the linemates with whom he had success the last time and thats akost and patches(or replace by dago)

DaHabMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 01:13 PM
Turboflex*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post
I simply do not agree that he is not playing well of late.

He has not been a star, but he is no where as bad as most say.
If Lang wasn't injured, Plekanecs would be up in the pressbox with his eurohype buddies the Kost bros.

Time to end these projects, trade their salary, we can pickup better replacements.

Old
04-07-2009, 01:22 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboflex View Post
You're point is quite clear, you can't help it if you talking to a fanboy who either doesn't understand no matter how clear it is...
Yes, Funkiness' point is quite clear - he thinks Plekanec sucks. I was just arguing with the part of his post that mentioned money.

Quote:
...or is running back to some idiotic point per dollar arguement like a scoundrel to his last refuge.
So you don't believe that performance vs cap hit is important in the post lockout NHL? You are going to have a tough time making that argument sound reasonable.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 01:39 PM
Turboflex*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
So you don't believe that performance vs cap hit is important in the post lockout NHL? You are going to have a tough time making that argument sound reasonable.
Performance vs. Cap hit is meaningless if it's not factored with other intangibles as well, such as role, impact and clutch.

40 points, none down the stretch, is not an adequete numbers performance for a top 2 center no matter how little he's being paid. And that's before you factor in his soft perimeter play, unwillingness to do dirty work, puck hogging, overall low hockey IQ, mediocre passing, always taking low chance shots, and all other things that have made his line a black hole of fail which drags down any wingers stuck with him.

Old
04-07-2009, 01:56 PM
GlobalNews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
yup just like he did 3 years ago in the playoffs when Koivu went down against Carolina.I like the guy but don't put your hopes up
A rookie was supposed to replace our heart and soul?

GlobalNews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 01:58 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Performance vs. Cap hit is meaningless if it's not factored with other intangibles as well, such as role, impact and clutch.
That's the kind of thinking that leads to contracts like Drury's and Brind'amour's. You may rather have North Americans chock full of intangibles - I'd rather win hockey games. In a league with a cap, you do that with players who outperform their contracts, regardless of what style they play.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 02:00 PM
smon

Team needs secondary scoring and is getting nothing right now. Ergo, Plekanec is not doing well at all. His overall production for this year is abysmal, barring a fairly recent stretch.

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 02:05 PM
kalessin

Quote:
If Lang wasn't injured, Plekanecs would be up in the pressbox with his eurohype buddies the Kost bros.

Time to end these projects, trade their salary, we can pickup better replacements.
This is idiotic.

Yes, give up on young players once they slump for a while. Trade them for nothing and watch them succeed elsewhere. We can just pick up rookies instead! They won't be very good or very consistent either, but it's okay, we'll just dump them too and call up even younger players.

You need help.

kalessin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 02:06 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by cue_meanie View Post
I agree, Plekanec was 3rd line center that year. It was Ribeiro's job to replace Koivu when he went down. Ribeiro had 2 points (assists, no goals) in 6 games and was completely invisible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smon
Team needs secondary scoring and is getting nothing right now. Ergo, Plekanec is not doing well at all. His overall production for this year is abysmal, barring a fairly recent stretch.
True, but theres nothing we can do for now except hope for him to bounce back. If he doesn't we can sign him for cheap to be 3rd line center next year, with Lapierre on 4th. We waive Metropolit and get a legit 1st line center. We'd have one of the best center depth, especially should Plekanec (who is still reliable defensively) comes out of his bubble and play like we know he can.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 02:09 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by cue_meanie View Post
No it was more taking advantage of the situation and to be honest no one picked up it's game.I won't blame the rookie but he didn't show me that he was able to step it up if needed

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 02:16 PM
Warriorsoftime55*

Pleky blows

Warriorsoftime55* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 02:17 PM
WhiskeySeven*
Founded: BargainBin

Quote:
Originally Posted by starglider View Post
This is idiotic.

Yes, give up on young players once they slump for a while. Trade them for nothing and watch them succeed elsewhere. We can just pick up rookies instead! They won't be very good or very consistent either, but it's okay, we'll just dump them too and call up even younger players.

You need help.
There is a difference between slumping for a while (Kovalev, Tanguay, hell even Markov) and being abysmal for an entire season (Hamrlik, Higgins, Plekanec).

The first group slumped for a month, maybe two at most. Pleks has been bad since the PO's started LAST YEAR.

How much patience should a professional, supposed Cup-contending team have? He has been under-performing and not providing any intangibles that could potentially spare him.

If pleks had played well this season, we would have had two legit lines all season even through the injuries. At first Koivu-Tang were carrying us, then Lapierre and Kovalev for Dec., then the slump until Late March-April where it's been Tanguay-Kovalev.

Pleks has been a non-factor and that's the worst thing to be when you're not in the 4th line.

WhiskeySeven* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 02:42 PM
NewHabsEra*

Plekanec is still working hard and pretty reliable defensively, but he is clearly struggling in the offensive zone, he has to find his offensive instinct back..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 02:44 PM
BeBen*

Im a fan of Plekanec, he was the only one playing 2 years ago when we ''almost'' made the playoffs

He'll bounce back no problems

BeBen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 04:12 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
No it was more taking advantage of the situation and to be honest no one picked up it's game.I won't blame the rookie but he didn't show me that he was able to step it up if needed
Sheldon Souray indisputably picked up his game in those playoffs.

Fish on The Sand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 05:42 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 827
I expect a big game tonight from the turtleneck gangster to prove the haters wrong!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
Sheldon Souray indisputably picked up his game in those playoffs.
Kovy did quite well too no?

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 06:02 PM
lxzred

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxLapierre View Post
Lapierre was an agitator at first. He improved dramatically. Lapierre is now one or two years away from being another Peca or Carbonneau.

Plekanec has been given lots of icetime, good wingers (A luxury Lapierre never has) and PP time. He has less than 40 points. End of story.

Plekanec has never carried the team on his back, take off the fanboy lenses for once. Pleks was good last year because he understood Kovy. This year, for this final stretch he has to pick it up and lead his line: he hasn't, and can't.

I wouldn't want the Kostitsyn's traded because I think they could turn it around. But if Plekanec + AKost + SKost + Fischer gets us Lecavalier, then so be it.
No where to start with this, So when Lapeirre stops playing over his head...what then dump him? Maybe your expectations are getting in the way of seeing reality.

Now where did you get the impression I was a fanboy, is that a poor mans form of logic?

I distinctly remember Pleck's stepping up and being one of the ONLY players to play hard the second half of 2007(saving our season), and that was Kovelev's worst season of his career.

And the last part show the real extent of your illusion, you want to dump our "euro trash" for the home town hero, now why would Tampa take our under performing "soft" "useless" players anyways.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 04-07-2009 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Removed IL talk
lxzred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 06:03 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
I expect a big game tonight from the turtleneck gangster to prove the haters wrong!

Kovy did quite well too no?
he was nothing special after game 2 as I recall. Only Souray was consistently scoring for us in the last 4 games.

Fish on The Sand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 06:08 PM
Kirk Muller

My biggest concern is he is playing scared and I don't know if you get that back. He is useless offensively as he is bailing out on plays because of shying from contact. He isn't going to the net.

His game is going to have to do a 180. Right now, he is Montreal's fourth line center. Courage is not something anyone is going to be able to coach.

From last years playoffs to now, I don't know if you can count on him regaining form.

Kirk Muller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 07:14 PM
WhiskeySeven*
Founded: BargainBin

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxzred View Post
No where to start with this, So when Lapeirre stops playing over his head...what then dump him? Maybe your expectations are getting in the way of seeing reality.
Lapierre is performing perfectly in his assigned role: 3rd line checking center, occasional agitator.
Plekanec is failing in his assigned role: Secondary scoring center.
Higgins was failing at his previous role (secondary scoring winger) but is now performing well as: Checking line winger

Every player has a role, if someone isn't performing well they should adapt their game or management should change their role. Pleks is failing so far.

Quote:
I distinctly remember Pleck's stepping up and being one of the ONLY players to play hard the second half of 2007(saving our season), and that was Kovelev's worst season of his career.
A 2nd half player is worth half his salary then? Points are worth the same at all times, Oct. to Apr. So what is your point? That he sucked hard for the first 41 games? For the record he had
Code:
81gp	20g	27a	47p	+10
Hardly season saving numbers.

Quote:
And the last part show the real extent of your illusion, you want to dump our "euro trash" for the home town hero, now why would Tampa take our under performing "soft" "useless" players anyways.
I never used the term "euro trash". Racist.

The Kostitsyn's are valuable and talented. Plekanec is young and maybe Tampa will want him.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 04-07-2009 at 07:39 PM. Reason: Removed IL talk
WhiskeySeven* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 07:14 PM
deandebean

Plekatchu is having another dandy tonight.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 09:41 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Is it just me? Or is A.Kost's work ethic and motivation just not there anymore?

JHabs is online now   Reply With Quote