HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Dynamo Moscow signs Omark and Harju

Old
04-08-2009, 07:56 AM
Fishy Scales

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garl View Post
Is it a 1-year contract?
It appears so, yes.

Fishy Scales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattihp View Post
I don't think there would be more than 10ish europeans in the NHL if the NHL was still the best league in the world but offered only 10% more in wage than the players home leagues.

Those who think that foreigners in the NHL don't see the money as the far away #1 reason for them playing there are probably a bit off.
If that were the case, so many players wouldn't have rebuffed the KHL when the KHL started offering huge dollars to draw players in. Even Jagr looked long and hard for a multiple year commitment before going back.

SK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Garl

Is it a 1-year contract?

Garl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 07:57 AM
GoingGoingGagner

Ahhhhgh. Crap.

What a tough team to cheer for, these Oilers...can't even keep the players that might be a steal one day.

Sigh.

GoingGoingGagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 07:58 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Yup we've reached it

Quote:
I don't think there would be more than 10ish europeans in the NHL if the NHL was still the best league in the world but offered only 10% more in wage than the players home leagues.

Those who think that foreigners in the NHL don't see the money as the far away #1 reason for them playing there are probably a bit off.
Well as long as we're clear, you're saying that European players play only for the MONEY. Nice.

Jimmi Jenkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 07:58 AM
Yabob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
No, that's by the artificial logic that you created out of thin. He could have gotten paid a decent wage if he comes to NA, he's bound by a CBA, but he can still earn good money, and if he continues to play well he can earn even more money. But instead he's going to get MORE NOW, so I don't what you call that besides money grabbing?
He's point was probably that the players went to NA with the hope of making the NHL team right away (and a number of players actually manage to do that every year), instead of staying at home and earn less money.

Yabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 07:59 AM
Terva

You must concider the amount of money that he´s been offered before you start talking about "selling out". He gets about 1 million USD TAX FREE. I saw someone talking about swedish monopoly money and so on but sure 1 million USD is a lot money for you guys too.

I´m also quite confident that an american NHl team would have met Omarks demands. This is the canadian thing against swedes and european players. Reading the comments on this board confirms it. If Omark had been a canadian player he would have been regarded as a future franchise player. Oilers should have been grateful that a late draft pick bloomed out late but obviously the weren´t that interested after all.

Terva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 07:59 AM
mattihp

vCash: 50
Quote:
Well as long as we're clear, you're saying that European players play only for the MONEY. Nice.
No, they don't They play hockey because they love it. They play in the NHL instead of their home leagues because of the money.

mattihp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 08:00 AM
Garl

Quote:
It's not so at all. Money is important but I wouldn't say it's the only reason euroz go to NHL.

Old
04-08-2009, 08:02 AM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terva View Post
You must concider the amount of money that he´s been offered before you start talking about "selling out". He gets about 1 million USD TAX FREE. I saw someone talking about swedish monopoly money and so on but sure 1 million USD is a lot money for you guys too.

I´m also quite confident that an american NHl team would have met Omarks demands. This is the canadian thing against swedes and european players. Reading the comments on this board confirms it. If Omark had been a canadian player he would have been regarded as a future franchise player. Oilers should have been grateful that a late draft pick bloomed out late but obviously the weren´t that interested after all.
That was me with the Monopoly Money crack. Perhaps in poor taste.

But Puh-lease with the double standard shtick. If Omark was a Canadian, he'd be in a CHL league and the hype would never have started as thick. Not to mention, we would know that his skill-set was more likely to translate.

Truth is, this organization never did anything but rave about Omark - they just refused to give him massive bonuses and assurances that he wouldn't have to play in the AHL. No organization, American or otherwise, would have given him that either. They'd be stupid to.

Old
04-08-2009, 08:03 AM
Fishy Scales

Quote:
No, they don't They play hockey because they love it. They play in the NHL instead of their home leagues because of the money.
No, there's obviously also the challenge of playing in the best league in the world and playing for the most difficult-to-win trophy in the world (so they say).

That said, I know I would think going to Moscow to play for a year would be quite a challenge and experience as well.

Old
04-08-2009, 08:05 AM
The Human Torch

Send a message via MSN to The Human Torch
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
If Omark was a Canadian, he'd be in a CHL league and the hype would never have started as thick. Not to mention, we would know that his skill-set was more likely to translate.
Not to mention that there's a guarantee fairy on the fact that, if it weren't for that damn YouTube clip, we're not even having this conversation at all, or it caps at 7 responses.

The Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 08:07 AM
stug*

So every player from Europe to NA is greedy ********?
Because they could play here at home but no.
Please. Oilers ****ed it up

stug* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 08:07 AM
Fishy Scales

Quote:

But Puh-lease with the double standard shtick. If Omark was a Canadian, he'd be in a CHL league and the hype would never have started as thick. Not to mention, we would know that his skill-set was more likely to translate.

Truth is, this organization never did anything but rave about Omark - they just refused to give him massive bonuses and assurances that he wouldn't have to play in the AHL. No organization, American or otherwise, would have given him that either. They'd be stupid to.
I agree with this. He was a 4th-round pick drafted at 20 years old who expected to be paid like a 1st-rounder. NHL teams aren't gonna start throwing out max entry-level deals like candy to every other kid they draft.

For all we know, Omark might have been (and may yet turn out to be) a huge bust in NA.

Old
04-08-2009, 08:08 AM
Garl

Quote:

Really? Kulemin and Toronto, Tikhonov and Phoenix disagree with you.

Old
04-08-2009, 08:09 AM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Hopefully Tambellini personally expresses support to Omark in his decision, and keeps our team in the running for Omark's services when/if he's willing to give the NHL a go.

Psycho Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 08:12 AM
Garl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy Scales View Post
I agree with this. He was a 4th-round pick drafted at 20 years old who expected to be paid like a 1st-rounder. NHL teams aren't gonna start throwing out max entry-level deals like candy to every other kid they draft.

For all we know, Omark might have been (and may yet turn out to be) a huge bust in NA.
He is not an ordinary 4th round pick. He is more like Zetterberg, I mean is it usual for a 4th rounder to dominate SEL at the age of 21? Absolutely not. Seems like Omark and Oilers live in different coordinate systems. He wanted a treatment for a SEL star, one of the best players in Europe, probably best young player in Europe and Oilers it seemed treated him like a 4th rounder.

Old
04-08-2009, 08:15 AM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
Really? Kulemin and Toronto, Tikhonov and Phoenix disagree with you.
They got bonus options, but not the Max. And both have been demoted once this year, in spite of the fact that neither of those teams are especially deep.

Old
04-08-2009, 08:15 AM
enthropi
Hiss Hiss (TKA) Hiss

Well, this week can only be complete by CGY winning the division without a draft position improvement for the Oilers. Book it.

enthropi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 08:17 AM
Fourier

For what it is worth I read Article 8 of the CBA and it certainly seems to me that he is back in the draft as of June 1. I wonder who takes a shot at him with a later pick.

Added in Edit: It appears that what I said above may be incorrect. Due to the expiration of the IIHF transfer agreemenst Omark may well remain Oiler property.
See post 196 in this thread for an expanation.

Last edited by Fourier: 04-08-2009 at 03:29 PM.
Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 08:17 AM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
He is not an ordinary 4th round pick. He is more like Zetterberg, I mean is it usual for a 4th rounder to dominate SEL at the age of 21? Absolutely not. Seems like Omark and Oilers live in different coordinate systems. He wanted a treatment for a SEL star, one of the best players in Europe, probably best young player in Europe and Oilers it seemed treated him like a 4th rounder.
Did Zetterberg get 2 million in bonus incentives? Was Zetterberg 5'9?

Old
04-08-2009, 08:20 AM
enthropi
Hiss Hiss (TKA) Hiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
For what it is worth I read Article 8 of the CBA and it certainly seems to me that he is back in the draft as of June 1. I wonder who takes a shot at him with a later pick.
That's why I was saying he was stupid to sing NOW, at least wait until you re-enter the draft and see if the other team offers what you want. Looks like he's chicken **** scared of not playing with Harju...

enthropi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 08:21 AM
Gylf

Kevin Lowe has really screwed this up. The only reason Linus Omark is going to Russia is because Lowe didn´t make a convincing case for Linus to pick the NHL and the Oilers. You can´t go to a guy and say:

- We won´t give you the max and we´re not sure that you can make the team because we have a lot of young guys with your size.

The biggest reason Omark picked Russia was because they believed in the kid. Next year Omark will sign a great deal with another NHL-club and will probably become a star. If you think that the Russians is getting Omark because of a penalty shot in a friendly game you´re truly ignorant. The Russians have scouted the kid as much or truly even more than the Oilers.

Omark is a better player than Robert Nilsson. Omark has a better shot of making the Swedish Olympic team than Robert Nilsson does... Nilsson makes 2.0M next year. For comparisons.

Kevin Lowe is not making the Oliers a better team. The NHL is every swedish kids dream. Kevin Lowe couldn´t even use and just simply get Omark to feel that the Oilers believed in him. That´s the making of a terrible GM.

Last edited by Seachd: 04-08-2009 at 09:26 AM.
Gylf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
Originally Posted by enthropi View Post
That's why I was saying he was stupid to sing NOW, at least wait until you re-enter the draft and see if the other team offers what you want. Looks like he's chicken **** scared of not playing with Harju...
Well... it's not like KHL players have treated their contracts as iron-clad in the past. Look at Malkin ditching the Russian league.

Old
Garl

Quote:
They got bonus options, but not the Max. And both have been demoted once this year, in spite of the fact that neither of those teams are especially deep.
Tikhonov was demoted because of an injury I believe, and Kulemin was demoted because he was playing like crap. Still he was back in the squad very very quickly.

I think Omark would have agreed to same conditions as Kulemin.