HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

STH "Town Hall" Meeting Report

Old
04-07-2009, 09:32 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
I just remembered something useless but amusing. Richards had a bottle of vodka in his locker where they keep their street clothes.

I'd so love to drink with Mike Richards. Drink and talk about the game of hockey. Sign me up.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 09:49 PM
AaronTrieu

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post

I'd so love to drink with Mike Richards. Drink and talk about the game of hockey. Sign me up.
my friends had a beer with him and lupul at Mcfadden's on sunday before the phillies game. Richards was *****ing about last weeks travel schedule.

AaronTrieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 09:49 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Okay, I know I'm going to come off sounding too uptight here, but I find it a little off-putting that these guys are apparently allowed to keep vodka in the locker room.

I love drinking and smoking a cigar every now and again, but I keep that stuff absolutely separate from my work.

I want those guys in that room to be focused on the game, not how they're going to get ****faced after the game. I don't really care what they do after the game as long as it doesn't affect their on-ice performance, but keep that crap away from the rink. The rink needs to be about hardwork and dedication IMO. Not taking shots in the locker room after a practice.

Also, can any of you really imagine a coach like Tortorella or Bowman tolerating that? I mean, Bowman is the best hockey coach ever and a lot of his players weren't sure if they liked him or not (read Dryden's book).

I dunno, like I said, it's slightly off-putting.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 09:56 PM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Okay, I know I'm going to come off sounding too uptight here, but I find it a little off-putting that these guys are apparently allowed to keep vodka in the locker room.

I love drinking and smoking a cigar every now and again, but I keep that stuff absolutely separate from my work.

I want those guys in that room to be focused on the game, not how they're going to get ****faced after the game. I don't really care what they do after the game as long as it doesn't affect their on-ice performance, but keep that crap away from the rink. The rink needs to be about hardwork and dedication IMO. Not taking shots in the locker room after a practice.

Also, can any of you really imagine a coach like Tortorella or Bowman tolerating that? I mean, Bowman is the best hockey coach ever and a lot of his players weren't sure if they liked him or not (read Dryden's book).

It's very off putting.

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 09:58 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
1) the guy getting asked may not have known about him.

2) the guy getting asked may not have wanted to talk about him.

Both are reasons you'd get that response. They have scouts specifically looking at Sweden. There are people in the organization who know every potential player in that league.

For you head scouts to not even hear of them, they either lied, or are not aware. If they lied, I would honestly expect that, this is a town where they were generally uninformed about most things outside of this division let alone the league, I bet they were shocked at the question to be honest.

If they were not aware, well from Billy's response after yours, I stand by what I said if that is the case, certainly seems like it. If the two top guys looked at each other in bewilderment, then that's not ok. It's not like Billy went through a random roster of a team in Europe and came up with a name...this is a guy who is being talked about all around the league. If we know who he is, he should too. There is no real reason to not to.

Quote:

It's one reason why they're all eventually going to get broken up, and one reason why Upshall is gone.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 10:16 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Nice jump to conclusions there, fellas.

Does anyone know why there was a bottle of vodka in Richards' locker? There are about 30 reasons why it might be there. But you guys immediately come to the conclusion that it's for an after practice/after game get ****faced session.

But I'm sure the Flyers are going to trade everyone away and scatter them across the continent in response. Give me a break.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 10:19 PM
Jester

Quote:

Just because one has a bottle of vodka in their locker does not mean they're out on the ice sitting around thinking about how they're going to get ****-faced. Happy Hour is an immensely popular phenomenon...and workers throughout the world look forward to hitting up the bar that is within walking distance from the office on a regular basis.

And, as you get older, you will find that social drinking is VERY much part of many work environments. Especially high stress ones.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 10:20 PM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Girl View Post
Nice jump to conclusions there, fellas.

Does anyone know why there was a bottle of vodka in Richards' locker? There are about 30 reasons why it might be there. But you guys immediately come to the conclusion that it's for an after practice/after game get ****faced session.

But I'm sure the Flyers are going to trade everyone away and scatter them across the continent in response. Give me a break.
30 reasons it could be there? As far as I know, there's 1 reason to keep vodka around. That reason is to drink it.

I have no problem with the guys going out and doing a little partying as long as it doesn't affect the on-ice performance, they're young and they have money, it's their prerogative.

But like I said, having a bottle of vodka in your place of work is just a little unprofessional to me, I'd prefer that they kept that stuff away from the ice.

And as I said earlier, do you think a Tortorella, a Babcock, or even a Nolan tolerates that? My guess would be no.

Old
04-07-2009, 10:21 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
It's one reason why they're all eventually going to get broken up, and one reason why Upshall is gone.
Upshall is gone because of the salary cap...and the fact that he isn't a special teams player (I think that was a very honest answer from Stevens). This team has been together for basically two season. In the first season they reached the Conference Finals. In the second season they're inching towards home ice advantage in the playoffs (something we haven't had since prior to the lockout, btw)...and you're talking about how they're eventually going to get broken up?

Give me a friggin break. They're going to get broken up because that's what happens...not because they're having a drink.

Old
04-07-2009, 10:25 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
30 reasons it could be there? As far as I know, there's 1 reason to keep vodka around. That reason is to drink it.
I can think of a few reasons why it might be there.

- Someone gave it as a gift. I don't usually have alcohol in my office, but a couple of months ago I had a couple of bottles of wine and a bottle of rye in my office for a day. Had someone come into my office that day, perhaps they'd have jumped to the same conclusion you guys did.

- a teammate delivered on a bet - the Jays/Tigers game, or the NCAA championship

I'm not saying it's not possible that you guys are correct. What I'm saying is that no one knows for sure why there was a bottle there. It's just as possible that it was a completely innocent reason.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 10:28 PM
Jester

Quote:

- Someone gave it as a gift. I don't usually have alcohol in my office, but a couple of months ago I had a couple of bottles of wine and a bottle of rye in my office for a day. Had someone come into my office that day, perhaps they'd have jumped to the same conclusion you guys did.

- a teammate delivered on a bet - the Jays/Tigers game, or the NCAA championship

I'm not saying it's not possible that you guys are correct. What I'm saying is that no one knows for sure why there was a bottle there. It's just as possible that it was a completely innocent reason.
Former professional baseball players are on record as having played drunk. I've heard Kruk specifically talk about it in relation to a double header that everyone thought was going to get rained out...and didn't.

Even if it isn't there for an innocent reason...it's a locker room, when they're in there after a game...work is over.

Old
04-07-2009, 10:29 PM
FlyHigh

Quote:

Certainly possible, but I'm beginning to get concerned about the attitude of this team.

- Consistent on-ice effort dumps since the beginning of March basically.

- Inability for the last 3 years to play 60 minutes.

- Totally undisciplined and apparently, a lack of desire to start being disciplined. They can talk all they want, but it don't mean **** to me. I mean, on Carter's goal, that easily could have been a 2 minute FLA PP because Hartnell wanted to crosscheck somebody.

- Richie practically dismissing the losses against FLA, TO, and Ottawa as unimportant or whatever it was he said.

This team is undisciplined, they're lazy, and now there's a bottle of vodka in the locker room. Maybe it was one of the things you said, I hope it was. But I'm beginning to seriously worry about the ability of the some the leaders on the team to get these guys to buckle down and play a solid game of hockey cause we ain't seen it for the past 6 weeks outside of a couple of isolated occasions.

Old
04-07-2009, 11:00 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

One person posts seeing a bottle of vodka on the shelf of a player being interviewed -- at best, in the background at worst -- and we all are to now take that personal observance of a clear liquid in a perceived vodka shaped bottle as Gospel? Was the label read and/or recognized?

Next we are supposed to not give the benefit of the doubt that if it indeed was a bottle of vodka, it had to be not an innocent reason -- such as the gift/bet payoff suggestion -- Then we are to suggest that the entire heart of the team that is not married will be shipped out sooner than later because they are drunks who don't know how to be professional during work time or times that impact their work... and point to Upshall's trade as being done because he was too much of a party boy.

... Next thing we'll be asked to believe that that bottle of booze that Richards was chugging in that ubiquitous Internet clowning around photo was being downed by osmosis with the cap still firmly in place.

Uh uh, I don't think so... I suggest we step back and take a breath and not jump to any conclusions... IMO.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 11:01 PM
ForsbergIsOdin

Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
Has Richards played like a drunk ******* this year?

No.

ForsbergIsOdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 11:03 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsbergIsOdin View Post
Has Richards played like a drunk ******* this year?

No.
If he has, I suggest we pass around the bottles.

Old
04-07-2009, 11:46 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersJunky View Post
One person posts seeing a bottle of vodka on the shelf of a player being interviewed -- at best, in the background at worst -- and we all are to now take that personal observance of a clear liquid in a perceived vodka shaped bottle as Gospel? Was the label read and/or recognized?

Next we are supposed to not give the benefit of the doubt that if it indeed was a bottle of vodka, it had to be not an innocent reason -- such as the gift/bet payoff suggestion -- Then we are to suggest that the entire heart of the team that is not married will be shipped out sooner than later because they are drunks who don't know how to be professional during work time or times that impact their work... and point to Upshall's trade as being done because he was too much of a party boy.

... Next thing we'll be asked to believe that that bottle of booze that Richards was chugging in that ubiquitous Internet clowning around photo was being downed by osmosis with the cap still firmly in place.

Uh uh, I don't think so... I suggest we step back and take a breath and not jump to any conclusions... IMO.
Where have you been all my life? Thank you for signing up and posting rational thoughts.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 11:57 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
How do we not know the bottle has some sort of, superstitious meaning behind it. Weird you may ask? Yes. However, all of us together don't know the reason behind the bottle.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 01:14 AM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
Where have you been all my life? Thank you for signing up and posting rational thoughts.
Had I known that someone had that avatar on this site I would have signed up long ago.

Old
04-08-2009, 06:41 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

This board just goes mad everynow and then doesn't it. The bottle of vodka must mean richards is drinking it!!!!

How about the fact it could be a gift to someone.............

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 06:42 AM
Opus

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
This board just goes mad everynow and then doesn't it. The bottle of vodka must mean richards is drinking it!!!!

How about the fact it could be a gift to someone.............
One word - Negadelphia.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 07:53 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Upshall is gone because of the salary cap...and the fact that he isn't a special teams player (I think that was a very honest answer from Stevens). This team has been together for basically two season. In the first season they reached the Conference Finals. In the second season they're inching towards home ice advantage in the playoffs (something we haven't had since prior to the lockout, btw)...and you're talking about how they're eventually going to get broken up?
I don't give a damn about home-ice. This league has proven that it's almost meaningless.

Quote:
Give me a friggin break. They're going to get broken up because that's what happens...not because they're having a drink.
One by one they keep leaving. I'm just saying.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 08:23 AM
Stonehands77

Quote:
Wha...??? Who besides Upshall has left? Oh, Ok, Umberger. But I think it's fairly clear why he was dealt: he wanted too much for the cap space the Flyers had available. And that trade is what netted the Flyers Sbisa, so I'm perfectly fine with that one. I hardly think we can say that one was because Umberger was too much of a party animal.

So, who besides Umberger and Upshall from this team has gone, and then not for obvious reasons? I don't count Downie as part of that group, nor do I count Potulny, Prospal, Eminger, Greentree, Gauthier, or any of the other guys they've dealt this year. And looking at last season's trades doesn't have anyone stand out for me as being part of the core group of players.

Seriously, people need to chill the **** out. What is with this board to go so bonkers over a couple of random things lately (first JvR, now this)? Am I missing out on the good drugs?

I have no problems with him having a bottle of vodka there. My first assumption was it was someone paying off a bet, to be honest. And if it isn't, whoop-de-****ing-doo. Oh my God, a 23 year old has a bottle of vodka. Obviously, he is no longer capable of leading a team to 97 points, a playoff spot, and potential home ice advantage in the first round (which, as Jester pointed out, hasn't happened in 5+ years). Oh, wait....

Stonehands77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 08:46 AM
Jester

Quote:
I don't give a damn about home-ice. This league has proven that it's almost meaningless.
Other than in Game 7, where there has been a significant advantage to home ice.

And, more to the point, who the hell cares if you care about home ice? It's in an explicit sense a sign of improvement over last year.

Quote:
For the reasons you're citing: that's just dumb. I'm just saying.

Old
04-08-2009, 08:50 AM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 200
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
I thought it was pretty well known that hockey players like to drink and party alot. Mark Messier went to strip clubs everynight.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 09:48 AM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPhish5858 View Post
I thought it was pretty well known that hockey players like to drink and party alot. Mark Messier went to strip clubs everynight.
Yeah, and I have no problem with that. Whatever they want to do is fine, I'd just prefer that they kept the party stuff away from the rink.

I dunno, hopefully it's nothing. But these guys have a reputation and like I said, seeing the effort dumps they take on the ice every night and then seeing vodka in the locker room isn't the most encouraging sign to me.