HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Dynamo Moscow signs Omark and Harju

Old
04-08-2009, 08:22 AM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gylf View Post
Kevin Lowe has really screwed this up. The only reason Linus Omark is going to Russia is because Lowe didn┤t make a convincing case for Linus to pick the NHL and the Oilers. You can┤t go to a guy and say:

- We won┤t give you the max and we┤re not sure that you can make the team because we have a lot of young guys with your size.

The biggest reason Omark picked Russia was because they believed in the kid. Next year Omark will sign a great deal with another NHL-club and will probably become a star. If you think that the Russians is getting Omark because of a penalty shot in a friendly game you┤re truly ignorant. The Russians have scouted the kid as much or truly even more than the Oilers.

Omark is a better player than Robert Nilsson. Omark has a better shot of making the Swedish Olympic team than Robert Nilsson does... Nilsson makes 2.0M next year. For comparisons.

Kevin Lowe is not making the Oliers a better team. The NHL is every swedish kids dream. Kevin Lowe couldn┤t even use and just simply get Omark to feel that the Oilers believed in him. That┤s the making of a terrible GM.
The only reason he chose Russia, by his very own admission, is because they could guarantee him more money.

Last edited by Seachd: 04-08-2009 at 09:25 AM. Reason: qep
SK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 08:23 AM
Fishy Scales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garl View Post
He is not an ordinary 4th round pick. He is more like Zetterberg, I mean is it usual for a 4th rounder to dominate SEL at the age of 21? Absolutely not. Seems like Omark and Oilers live in different coordinate systems. He wanted a treatment for a SEL star, one of the best players in Europe, probably best young player in Europe and Oilers it seemed treated him like a 4th rounder.
I know that he's not an ordinary 4th-round pick. But most, if not all, 4th-round picks get salaries that aren't even anywhere near the max. I guess that's the kicker here.

It's tough because Omark remains largely unproven to the Oilers, but he also had a lot of leverage in these negotiations because of his good numbers and the offers from Russia.

In the end he decided to postpone his crack at the NHL which is a shame for the Oilers if he actually turns out for someone down the road. That is still a bit of an if, though, after all.

Fishy Scales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 08:27 AM
Nunymare
Rinse, repeat

Send a message via MSN to Nunymare

That makes me more pissed off.

GOD DAMNIT

Nunymare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 08:29 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
I pose this question. For Omark, which scenario is more likely.

He comes to NA for a decent contract plays for a season, things don't go worth a **** and he goes back to Europe, will he still get his money for the KHL?

Or

He signs in the KHL things go bad and he has a horrible season, he then decides that NA would have been a much better and tries to sign, is he getting the same money as before his venture into the KHL?

Now this is clearly a black and white way to look at this situation, but if it's about money for him, rightly or wrongly that's what many of you have made clear it is, which one would have the best ending for Mr. Omark.

If he wants to play in the KHL and he "thinks" he's worth more that he is, good for him, but don't treat him like a patron saint or martyr because he's going after the money.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 08:29 AM
Garl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
Certainly sounds like that's what he's after.

I'd laugh so damn hard if a slightly tougher league destroys his stats and he losses the bargaining power he had in the first place.
It's not even a slightly better league, if anything there are more crappy teams in KHL(league has 24 teams and 4-5 of them are at ECHL level).

It's a slightly better team, because in Lulea Omark and Harju were go to guys kinda like Malkin and Crosby in Pittsburgh, but in Dynamo there are other "star" players so their PP time and their overall ice-time might go down a bit.

Garl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 08:37 AM
Garl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
Did Zetterberg get 2 million in bonus incentives? Was Zetterberg 5'9?
Zetterberg is 5'11 Omark is 5'10. HUUUUUUGE difference yeah.

As for bonuses, I doubt that Omark is so greedy as you want him to be.

Quote:
The biggest reason Omark picked Russia was because they believed in the kid. Next year Omark will sign a great deal with another NHL-club and will probably become a star. If you think that the Russians is getting Omark because of a penalty shot in a friendly game you┤re truly ignorant. The Russians have scouted the kid as much or truly even more than the Oilers.
I agree with the rest of your post Gylf, but this part is not 100% truth.

Main reason why he signed in KHL is because they signed his best friend Harju with him and also are giving them big money. Espscially since it's maybe the last season when you can earn such big money in Russia.

As for russian have scouted him, I don't believe it. He catched some eyes in Ëđ┼ and also has good stats. That's all.

Old
04-08-2009, 08:37 AM
jnewton91

Call me narrow minded, but I'll believe it when I see it on a major north american sports website and with the Oilers confirming it.

It's just so hard to trust the KHL to begin with, nevermind the fact that the recession will probably take half of the league's teams down with it in the next year.

jnewton91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 08:38 AM
Oilers1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gylf View Post
Kevin Lowe has really screwed this up. The only reason Linus Omark is going to Russia is because Lowe didn┤t make a convincing case for Linus to pick the NHL and the Oilers. You can┤t go to a guy and say:

- We won┤t give you the max and we┤re not sure that you can make the team because we have a lot of young guys with your size.

Omark is a better player than Robert Nilsson. Omark has a better shot of making the Swedish Olympic team than Robert Nilsson does... Nilsson makes 2.0M next year. For comparisons.

Kevin Lowe is not making the Oliers a better team. The NHL is every swedish kids dream. Kevin Lowe couldn┤t even use and just simply get Omark to feel that the Oilers believed in him. That┤s the making of a terrible GM.

You're 100% right. This is squarely on the Oilers.

Put it this way. . .can you see this happening with the Red Wings? No. Because they know what they're doing and they would have convinced him to come to North America.

This is just another example of how incompetent the Edmonton organization is.

Last edited by Seachd: 04-08-2009 at 09:26 AM. Reason: qep
Oilers1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 08:38 AM
Terva

Quote:
It's a slightly better team, because in Lulea Omark and Harju were go to guys kinda like Malkin and Crosby in Pittsburgh, but in Dynamo there are other "star" players so their PP time and their overall ice-time might go down a bit.
The media here is reporting that Dynamo has the intention of making a scoring line with Omark, Harju and Weinhandl. Depending on wether Dynamo extends Weinhandls loan or not.

Terva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 08:39 AM
Terva

Quote:
Zetterberg is 5'11 Omark is 5'10. HUUUUUUGE difference yeah.

As for bonuses, I doubt that Omark is so greedy as you want him to be.

I agree with the rest of your post Gylf, but this part is not 100% truth.

Main reason why he signed in KHL is because they signed his best friend Harju with him and also are giving them big money. Espscially since it's maybe the last season when you can earn such big money in Russia.

As for russian have scouted him, I don't believe it. He catched some eyes in Ëđ┼ and also has good stats. That's all.
There have been scouts from Oilers and from Russia in Luleň attending games this season.

Old
04-08-2009, 08:41 AM
Bring Back Smyth

I don't understand why the Oilers couldn't pay him the maximum salary of 850,000$. If the Oilers were so worried about saving money why are we were Roy and JDD given one way contracts when neither of them isn't helping out the hockey team? Not to mention that we're paying Dany Sabourin 600,000$ to play in the AHL.

I do not understand how people think that by firing MacT will result in us becoming a competitive hockey team. This team has bigger problems and it starts from up top.

Bring Back Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 08:41 AM
Nunymare
Rinse, repeat

Send a message via MSN to Nunymare
Well, oh well. I wonder how long the deal is.

Another missed signing.

Nunymare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 08:47 AM
runeeres
Seasons in the Abyss

*** hell. This makes me more pissed than missing out on the playoffs. I can't believe they screwed this up. That's what we get for paying Horcoff, Staios and Moreau $10 a year. I'm off to garage now. With a rope.

runeeres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 08:49 AM
Fishy Scales

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnewton91 View Post
Call me narrow minded, but I'll believe it when I see it on a major north american sports website and with the Oilers confirming it.

It's just so hard to trust the KHL to begin with, nevermind the fact that the recession will probably take half of the league's teams down with it in the next year.
Sorry, but all the major media outlets in Sweden have picked up on this by now. There is a direct quote from their agent confirming it. I very much doubt that it turns out to be false.

Fishy Scales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 08:52 AM
jnewton91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy Scales View Post
Sorry, but all the major media outlets in Sweden have picked up on this by now. There is a direct quote from their agent confirming it. I very much doubt that it turns out to be false.
Then call me bitter more than anything, the timing of this is probably what's making most Oiler fans p/o'd considering we just got knocked out of the playoffs for the third straight year yesterday.

jnewton91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 08:56 AM
callighenfan
H.O.N.P.E.D.

Glad I had a second ball available to be kicked...

callighenfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 08:56 AM
Garl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terva View Post
There have been scouts from Oilers and from Russia in Luleň attending games this season.
Then the scouts work very bad LOL.

Quote:
The media here is reporting that Dynamo has the intention of making a scoring line with Omark, Harju and Weinhandl. Depending on wether Dynamo extends Weinhandls loan or not.
A line of 3 wingers? Doesn't sound like a good idea to me. Harju is better as a winger IMO.

Another thing is that Dinamo has no coach for next season. This season their coach was one of the most succesful coaches in Russia Vladimir Vujtek from Czech Republik. However, he is an old man, 65 I believe and is not sure that he will return. So, now they sign 2 very expensive players and they don't have a caoch. ╠ŃţňˇŰ would have liked Omark and Harju I think, but what if they will hire an old school russian coach like Sergei Mikhalev who genetically doesn't stand any player who doesn't speak russian? Weird strategy.

Old
04-08-2009, 08:57 AM
tsunami

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers1 View Post

Put it this way. . .can you see this happening with the Red Wings? No. Because they know what they're doing and they would have convinced him to come to North America.

Sad, but true... Can't believe it...

tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 08:59 AM
Terva

Quote:
Then the scouts work very bad LOL.
A line of 3 wingers? Doesn't sound like a good idea to me. Harju is better as a winger IMO.
Omark - Harju - Lavander was also a line of three wingers.

Old
04-08-2009, 09:04 AM
Toes

The fish hit the fan, first elminated by LA then this.

Toes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 09:04 AM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers1 View Post

So let me get this straight. If Omark wanted guaranteed 1st line minutes, guaranteed 1st line PP time, and the rookie max money, you'd give it to him?

Lets be logical here, he obviously went for the money in the KHL. I don't care how many points you score in the SEL(which is a good league), the game is different in north america.

With the playoffs missed sadly, I can see alot of jumping to conclusions.

Oilbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 09:26 AM
Heavy Dee

this had curtis glencross written all over it from the start...nice work Tambellini...those of you making excuses for letting this prospect slip away should be ashamed

Heavy Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 09:29 AM
jfhlbuffy

Thank god. I was so scared Liam Reddox might not have a place on the roster next year.

jfhlbuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 09:31 AM
Garl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
So let me get this straight. If Omark wanted guaranteed 1st line minutes, guaranteed 1st line PP time, and the rookie max money, you'd give it to him?

Lets be logical here, he obviously went for the money in the KHL. I don't care how many points you score in the SEL(which is a good league), the game is different in north america.

With the playoffs missed sadly, I can see alot of jumping to conclusions.
He wasn't asking for anything like that exept for rookie max, and even here I'm pretty sure he would have signed if Oilers would have shown that they believe in him and don't sign him for AHL.

Old
04-08-2009, 09:31 AM
Seachd

If there's no out-clause in this contract, it's very clear what Omark's "dream" is, and it's certainly not playing in the NHL.

He'll kick himself down the road after getting a couple more bucks (if he even ever sees a paycheck) when he realizes he might have had an NHL career.

Seachd is offline   Reply With Quote