HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

BOB go with the hot hand, Halak!!!

Old
04-08-2009, 09:36 AM
ScottyDoesntKnow

vCash: 500
Don't make the same mistake as 2 years ago, please

Let Halak be in the net for the next 2 games, AND the next 4 games...run him until the end. It's not a reactionnary thread/panic thread, I'm not judging Price only on yesterday, because even if he made mistakes he still stopped 41 shots out of 44, but Halak deserves to get the starting role this year, he has been so much more consistent.

Price got so many opportunities to step up in critical situations this year (sometimes undeserved...) and has never really been outstanding during these situations, he's been OK, but a goalie has to steal games from time to time...

Price has shown good things in his last games, but it feels like sometimes he enters a zone when he his completly lost, he has 0 intensity, is often out of position, slow to come back to his net and has a problem controlling rebounds...like in the 1st and beginning of 2nd period yesterday (didn't watch the rest of the game last night I don't know if it was like that all game long...) When he gets in that "bad zone" I am so scared everytime a puck comes near him, and I'm sure that this have some kind of effect on his teammates as well. That is something I never saw from Halak, that's why I want him for the playoffs, he's CONSISTENT.

I know Price is supposed to be the guy, they put everything in him, but Halak is more deserving this year. If Price does bad in the last 2 games or in the playoffs, it will be bad for him and for Halak. Price will be blamed, even more because Halak could have been there, and Halak will feel unrespected and unwanted in the team, he has stepped up in EVERY opportunity he had, and that is good for a goalie to perform that well under pressure. If it's Halak that doesn't perform well in the next games, it will be much easier to accept for everyone.

I'm not a Price basher, I like this guy and hope he will be here for a long time, but this year should go to Halak, don't make the same mistake that was done 2 years ago with Huet!

Bob, please, run Halak until the end!

ScottyDoesntKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 09:44 AM
Montreal Typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komi4Vezina View Post
Let Halak be in the net for the next 2 games, AND the next 4 games...run him until the end. It's not a reactionnary thread/panic thread, I'm not judging Price only on yesterday, because even if he made mistakes he still stopped 41 shots out of 44, but Halak deserves to get the starting role this year, he has been so much more consistent.
You have a very short memory. He has only been consistent since the game against Ottawa in February (he has only played a few bad games since). Before that, he had a few good games, a few bad games, a good game, a few bad games, a few good games, a bad game... He was very inconsistent.

Overall, both goaltenders have been rather inconsistent this year. They've both had their share of very good and very bad games. Still, they haven't been the problem for a long while so it doesn't really matter who's playing. We won't win if the forwards don't score more than 1 or 2 goals a game.

Quote:
don't make the same mistake that was done 2 years ago with Huet!
The mistake that year was to put Huet in the last game of the year right as he was coming back from an injury and we needed a win in order to secure a playoffs spot. The two situations are very different since Price is playing very well at the moment. He did make some mistakes last night, but he played a decent game. Things likely wouldn't have turned out any better had Halak been playing.

But, hey, this is Montreal where backup goaltenders are always favored over the starter.

Last edited by Montreal Typical: 04-08-2009 at 09:49 AM.
Montreal Typical is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 09:47 AM
ludger

Quote:

Price got so many opportunities to step up in critical situations this year (sometimes undeserved...) and has never really been outstanding during these situations, he's been OK, but a goalie has to steal games from time to time...

Price has shown good things in his last games, but it feels like sometimes he enters a zone when he his completly lost, he has 0 intensity, is often out of position, slow to come back to his net and has a problem controlling rebounds...like in the 1st and beginning of 2nd period yesterday (didn't watch the rest of the game last night I don't know if it was like that all game long...) When he gets in that "bad zone" I am so scared everytime a puck comes near him, and I'm sure that this have some kind of effect on his teammates as well. That is something I never saw from Halak, that's why I want him for the playoffs, he's CONSISTENT.

I know Price is supposed to be the guy, they put everything in him, but Halak is more deserving this year. If Price does bad in the last 2 games or in the playoffs, it will be bad for him and for Halak. Price will be blamed, even more because Halak could have been there, and Halak will feel unrespected and unwanted in the team, he has stepped up in EVERY opportunity he had, and that is good for a goalie to perform that well under pressure. If it's Halak that doesn't perform well in the next games, it will be much easier to accept for everyone.

I'm not a Price basher, I like this guy and hope he will be here for a long time, but this year should go to Halak, don't make the same mistake that was done 2 years ago with Huet!

Memory is short, you already forgot the last goal agaisnt Ottawa

ludger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 09:50 AM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludger View Post

Heatly's goal was a real NHL sniper's goal.

Not many goalies would had stopped it, not even Brodeur.

Halak, right now is as good, and more reliable than Price.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 09:51 AM
jcpenny

The way Price played yesterday, id go with him no questions asked.

jcpenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 09:54 AM
Turboflex*

These Halak fanboys are ridiculous.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 09:56 AM
gee

Quote:

halak looked like he deserved it after he let in a few stinkers during his last few games.

gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 09:57 AM
Habs

Nobody could stop Drury's stick-side goal, and wtf are you going to do about that freaky bounce off of him and Avery?

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 09:57 AM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post

Heatly's goal was a real NHL sniper's goal.

Not many goalies would had stopped it, not even Brodeur.

Halak, right now is as good, and more reliable than Price.
Kovalchuk has a better wrister and Price stopped 1/2 last game against ATL. This is seriously flawed logic.

There should be a new rule in the NHL where Montreal is not allowed to have 2 good goalies at the same time.

I'm seriously tired of having to defend whichever goalie is being put on the chopping block on this ******* forum.

Sined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 10:02 AM
Markovskaya

And take away playoff (if we make it) experience away from Price ?

Like it or not Price will be our goalie for the next few years so we need to give him experience so he can grow a strong head and improve. It's not in playing with his confidence that we will make him better.

We already have a good reason the believe we wont make it too far in the playoffs. We get better return on asset by letting him play ALL the playoff games.

Markovskaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 10:03 AM
ScottyDoesntKnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman View Post
You have a very short memory. He has only been consistent since the game against Ottawa in February (he has only played a few bad games since). Before that, he had a few good games, a few bad games, a good game, a few bad games, a few good games, a bad game... He was very inconsistent.

Overall, both goaltenders have been rather inconsistent this year. They've both had their share of very good and very bad games. Still, they haven't been the problem for a long while so it doesn't really matter who's playing. We won't win if the forwards don't score more than 1 or 2 goals a game.
In hockey, as in any sport, momentum is really important, the way Halak has played lately is more important than what he did in December. He looks fully confident right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman View Post

The mistake that year was to put Huet in the last game of the year right as he was coming back from an injury and we needed a win in order to secure a playoffs spot. The two situations are very different since Price is playing very well at the moment. He did make some mistakes last night, but he played a decent game. Things likely wouldn't have turned out any better had Halak been playing.

But, hey, this is Montreal where backup goaltenders are always favored over the starter.
I'm comparing to Huet, because Halak was deserving to play that last game, as he deserves to play right now. Huet played, and we all had a hard time accepting that loss considering Halak could have been playing.

Old
04-08-2009, 10:06 AM
ScottyDoesntKnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludger View Post
The weak shot top corner by some random 4th liner...what's his name again...Heatley ?

Old
04-08-2009, 10:06 AM
gee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Nobody could stop Drury's stick-side goal, and wtf are you going to do about that freaky bounce off of him and Avery?
exactly

gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 10:07 AM
ScottyDoesntKnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboflex View Post
These Halak fanboys are ridiculous.
Thanks for your input, Halak is my favorite player in the league, I have a poster of him in my room and he makes me sleep better at night. I would really like to hear more insight from you, how do you think our defense was last night ?

Old
04-08-2009, 10:07 AM
ScottyDoesntKnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Re-read. Not judging on last night only, I wouldn't have made this post because he played alright last night even if he looked shaky early on.

Old
04-08-2009, 10:12 AM
Newhabfan

Quote:
The weak shot top corner by some random 4th liner...what's his name again...Heatley ?
Then compare the save percentage of the two in the last two games :

Halak - 3 goals in 23 shots - 86%

Price - 3 goals in 44 shots - 93%

Yea sure .... Halak has the momentum.

The three goals on Price were the result of a massive meltdown from the defenders, due probably to fatigue and too big shoes to fill.

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 10:16 AM
jiboy
Patience

vCash: 150
bob gainey trust carey price
bob gainey will play carey price in the playoffs

carey price is our future goalie
jaroslav halak will always be a victim in mtl
price or halak wont change anything on the outcome of playoffs
since the biggest matter is injuries anywayzz

jiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 10:17 AM
ScottyDoesntKnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by gee View Post
exactly
Come on....nobody could stop Drury's goal ? It was from a baaaaaaad angle and Carey's a big boy, if he wasn't always on his knees he could have stopped it easily. This goal looks hard to stop because it was a very accurate shot by Drury, but he could have blocked that space if he was in good position.

I won't argue that he played bad last night because I didn't watch the 2nd half, but sometimes playing good for the majority of the game isn't enough when you give 2 bad(ish) goals. He has to STEAL important games sometimes.

Old
04-08-2009, 10:19 AM
TheCH*

As much as i want Halak to play and i know he is a better goalie and more confident, Price is for some reason Gainey's golden boy and to Gainey he is larger then the team. I say larger then the team because you know Gainey will go with him at all costs(yes even if the cost is losing). That is completely unfair to the team, a team which plays better in front of Halak.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 10:24 AM
jcpenny

Quote:
Come on....nobody could stop Drury's goal ? It was from a baaaaaaad angle and Carey's a big boy, if he wasn't always on his knees he could have stopped it easily. This goal looks hard to stop because it was a very accurate shot by Drury, but he could have blocked that space if he was in good position.
I won't argue that he played bad last night because I didn't watch the 2nd half, but sometimes playing good for the majority of the game isn't enough when you give 2 bad(ish) goals. He has to STEAL important games sometimes.
First of all it was a stupid turnover by Komi, then the puck bounced on something to miraculously find the stick of Drury. Price obviously wasnt ready and got caught by surprise. Aside from that, he was amazing yesterday and looked stronger as the game went on. He looked like a goalie who could carry his team on his shoulder. I really like what i see from Price. He challenges the shots more than ever before and he looks more agressive. Take away those 2 stupid mistakes (easily avoidable) that led to the first 2 goals and he probably steals this game.

jcpenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 10:25 AM
vad87

Quote:

And I suppose that Halak stole the game when we were leading 2-1 afetr 40 minutes?? What's wrong with always bashing our goaltenders. If Halak plays, he will get bashed. If Price plays, he will get bashed too. Can we just support the guy who will keep the net whoever he is. 2 games left at the season and there's a war in fanbase with the goaltenders. I think it's time to rally all together and be real fans. Just to finish with yesterday game, the guy was coming back from a big flue. Yes at the begginning he was shakky but in the 2nd half of the game, he was very sharp.

vad87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 10:29 AM
TheCH*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhabfan View Post
Then compare the save percentage of the two in the last two games :

Halak - 3 goals in 23 shots - 86%

Price - 3 goals in 44 shots - 93%

Yea sure .... Halak has the momentum.

The three goals on Price were the result of a massive meltdown from the defenders, due probably to fatigue and too big shoes to fill.
You are gonna use 1 game for each as the standard here? WTF is wrong with you? On the year, Halak .915. .915 > .905

2 of the goals Price let in were all on him. I don't give a **** if Komo gave a puck away, that was still a routine save. Price can make goods stops but they are all for not when he doesn't stop the routine shots.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 10:33 AM
ScottyDoesntKnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by vad87 View Post
And I suppose that Halak stole the game when we were leading 2-1 afetr 40 minutes?? What's wrong with always bashing our goaltenders. If Halak plays, he will get bashed. If Price plays, he will get bashed too. Can we just support the guy who will keep the net whoever he is. 2 games left at the season and there's a war in fanbase with the goaltenders. I think it's time to rally all together and be real fans. Just to finish with yesterday game, the guy was coming back from a big flue. Yes at the begginning he was shakky but in the 2nd half of the game, he was very sharp.
The fact that I didn't get to watch the 2nd half of the game (went to see Fast and Furious which is pretty good btw) probably doesn't help my opinion as I just saw the shaky part of his game, but I just get that bad feeling from Price when he's in the net sometimes that I don't have with Halak..

And it's not like I want Halak because he's my favorite or anything, just like everyone of you I want to put the best team on the ice and win, and I feel like Halak is the better goaltender right now.

Old
04-08-2009, 10:34 AM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 10:43 AM
All-Star

There was no mistake made 2 years ago. Playing the backup in the most important game of the season while the starter was ready to go, would also have been considered a mistake if the Habs had lost; especially when the fact that Halak had already had a chance to clinch is taken into consideration.

Carbo was caught in a Catch-22 situation. Regardless of who he played, a win would have made him look like a genius, and a loss would have made him look like an idiot. The Habs ended up losing, so...

All-Star is offline   Reply With Quote