HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dynamo Moscow signs Omark and Harju

Old
04-08-2009, 09:32 AM
Seachd

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Dee View Post
this had curtis glencross written all over it from the start...nice work Tambellini...those of you making excuses for letting this prospect slip away should be ashamed
Ashamed of what?

Seachd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 09:35 AM
Garl

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd View Post
If there's no out-clause in this contract, it's very clear what Omark's "dream" is, and it's certainly not playing in the NHL.

He'll kick himself down the road after getting a couple more bucks (if he even ever sees a paycheck) when he realizes he might have had an NHL career.
Just explain me, how a year in Russia will eliminate his chanses to play in NHL?

Garl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 09:36 AM
Heavy Dee

Quote:
Ashamed of what?
of being so stupid

Heavy Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 09:39 AM
Fishy Scales

Quote:
of being so stupid
Classy and witty as always...

Fishy Scales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 09:41 AM
theranfordflop

Is Rick Olczyk still in charge of player negotiations?

theranfordflop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 09:42 AM
Seachd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garl View Post
Just explain me, how a year in Russia will eliminate his chanses to play in NHL?
The past has shown Russia is where prospects go to kill off their career. The only thing generating interest in him was his excellent play this year. The KHL is a stifling league... he's not likely to get anywhere near a point a game there.

So after an average year in tougher conditions will teams be as interested? Will they be interested after hearing all along that his dream is to play in the NHL, and then watch him leave for Russia for what in the long run amounts to just a few more dollars? Will they wonder why he didn't wait until after the draft where he could have had a shot getting all his demands from a different team before signing in Russia?

The alarm bells are going off everywhere and Omark either doesn't hear them, or is just ignoring them.

Old
04-08-2009, 09:42 AM
Nops

Quote:
Ashamed of what?
Ashamed of letting a good prospect (player in the case of Glencross) go over the difference of a few 100k in salary.

Are we that deep with quality players that we couldn't take a gamble on a player that produced very well in a good league at a young age?

At this point we don't know how he will pan out - but he does have the makings of a later round steal and we've squandered it.

Nops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 09:43 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gylf View Post
Kevin Lowe has really screwed this up. The only reason Linus Omark is going to Russia is because Lowe didn´t make a convincing case for Linus to pick the NHL and the Oilers. You can´t go to a guy and say:
You know this how? Speculation pure and simple.

Quote:
- We won´t give you the max and we´re not sure that you can make the team because we have a lot of young guys with your size.
From the Oilers perspective this is the correct decision and its not at all clear how Linus would do here without his blanket..In a capped league.

Quote:
The biggest reason Omark picked Russia was because they believed in the kid. Next year Omark will sign a great deal with another NHL-club and will probably become a star.
More prophesy. Lotto numbers please.

Quote:
If you think that the Russians is getting Omark because of a penalty shot in a friendly game you´re truly ignorant. The Russians have scouted the kid as much or truly even more than the Oilers.
Well, personally I'm glad you wrote "truly" in there. It really adds credibility..i was starting to doubt you there.

Quote:
Omark is a better player than Robert Nilsson. Omark has a better shot of making the Swedish Olympic team than Robert Nilsson does... Nilsson makes 2.0M next year. For comparisons.
Better than Nilsson??? Gasp! What??? Nilsson???

The new Chinese car. Better than Lada. Yes Lada..

Quote:
Kevin Lowe is not making the Oliers a better team. The NHL is every swedish kids dream. Kevin Lowe couldn´t even use and just simply get Omark to feel that the Oilers believed in him. That´s the making of a terrible GM.
Thank you for enlightening the board.

We here in Edmonton need people like you to spoonfeed us all the slanted info.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 09:43 AM
Seachd

Quote:
of being so stupid
Excellent reasoning. Very solid.

Old
04-08-2009, 09:47 AM
Seachd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snauen View Post
If I was in his shoes I would have done the same. If you are not stupid and not a fan of the Oilers there is no reason to sign whit them.
Now he gets to play hockey whit his buddy Harju, on a top-team in the KHL, much closer to home, earning more money and no need to worry about the AHL.

Afterall I have heard (don't know if it's true tho?) theese parts of Canada are very much like northern Russia anyways
And in a couple years will he be earning more money than he would in the NHL?

Old
04-08-2009, 09:47 AM
Snauen*

If I was in his shoes I would have done the same. If you are not stupid and not a fan of the Oilers there is no reason to sign whit them.
Now he gets to play hockey whit his buddy Harju, on a top-team in the KHL, much closer to home, earning more money and no need to worry about the AHL.

Afterall I have heard (don't know if it's true tho?) theese parts of Canada are very much like northern Russia anyways

Snauen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 09:49 AM
Heavy Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy Scales View Post
Classy and witty as always...
Didn't know you were such a fan. Pretty abysmal at how a portion of our fan base will blindly support our management's every move. Guees that is why we are where where we are as a franchise. Feel free to have an opinion on this though

Old
04-08-2009, 09:51 AM
Heavy Dee

Quote:
Excellent reasoning. Very solid.
sometimes it is just obvious, well at least to some of us...

Old
04-08-2009, 09:51 AM
40oz

O well, I hopes this isnt over. Best O' Luck O' Mark.

40oz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 09:53 AM
Seachd

Quote:
sometimes it is just obvious, well at least to some of us...
What's obvious? $3 million cap hit on an unknown? That's obvious?

Old
04-08-2009, 09:54 AM
Heavy Dee

Quote:
What's obvious? $3 million cap hit on an unknown? That's obvious?
an unknown..LOL..yah our prospect pool is stocked full of leading scorers in good pro leagues...

Old
04-08-2009, 09:57 AM
Fishy Scales

Quote:
Didn't know you were such a fan. Pretty abysmal at how a portion of our fan base will blindly support our management's every move. Guees that is why we are where where we are as a franchise. Feel free to have an opinion on this though
I wouldn't have been entirely comfortable with the Oilers giving a guy who got selected in the 4th round at age 20 an entry-level deal at max rookie salary when he's proven exactly jack squat on smaller rinks and against more physical players with his 5'10'' frame.

If that makes me a blind management apologist then I am a blind management apologist. And if a portion of all fans are like me, and that portion is what causes the Oilers to struggle as a franchise, then I guess you're onto something there, Sherlock.

Yet somehow the world just seems a tad too simple all of a sudden. Dunno what's up with that.

Fishy Scales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 09:58 AM
aspin

There has to be an out in his contract if he signs with an NHL team...I cannot see them signing so early with Synamo without it.

aspin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Seachd

Quote:
an unknown..LOL..yah our prospect pool is stocked full of leading scorers in good pro leagues...
My bad... I didn't know you've seen him play in North America already.

Old
mic

Intelligent decision by Omark since he may never make the NHL and the money may not be around for him forever. It is likely he has an opt out in case Lowe gives him a contract and could just be a bargaining tactic. Hopefully he'll come over to Springfield soon but he is no spring chicken either so there may be a time limit.

mic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 10:09 AM
tsunami

Quote:
The past has shown Russia is where prospects go to kill off their career. The only thing generating interest in him was his excellent play this year. The KHL is a stifling league... he's not likely to get anywhere near a point a game there.

So after an average year in tougher conditions will teams be as interested? Will they be interested after hearing all along that his dream is to play in the NHL, and then watch him leave for Russia for what in the long run amounts to just a few more dollars? Will they wonder why he didn't wait until after the draft where he could have had a shot getting all his demands from a different team before signing in Russia?

The alarm bells are going off everywhere and Omark either doesn't hear them, or is just ignoring them.
The past has also shown that the only 22 years old players having similar success in the SEL at that age became very good players in the NHL, if not star players

Of course I am not saying it is guaranteed, but I heard so much complaints about Detroit and other teams being "lucky" with their draft picks that it would make me very angry if Edmonton let this one slip away...

Hope this is just a bargaining tactic from his side and that Edmonton does everything they can to sign the guy

tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 10:13 AM
Jesus

This sucks. One can rag about Omark's deficiencies all day long but he did put up impressive numbers in the SEL and I would have loved to see how his talent translated into the NHL. Something tells me he would have been good.

However, to be perfectly honest I had little doubt that the Oilers would bring him over. Oilers and Euro prospects do not mix.

Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 10:14 AM
enthropi
Hiss Hiss (TKA) Hiss

Who wants to bet TBay selects Omark with their 2nd pick?

enthropi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 10:17 AM
MrBoxOffice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggamuffin View Post
By that logic every European who ventured over before the KHL came into existance were money grabbing primadonnas...

sounds about right...or over the hill in the NHL and looking for more money

MrBoxOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 10:21 AM
Zine

Quote:
And in a couple years will he be earning more money than he would in the NHL?
How do you even know he will be playing in a couple years?...he could just as well receive a career ending injury during his first shift as an Oiler.

Players only have a small window of opportunity to make money in this business. And if money is being thrown at a player, I don't blame them to taking it (especially with the world financial crisis going on) because nothing is guaranteed in the future.

You people act like because he's Oilers draft pick Omark 'owes' Edmonton something.....and if he signs somewhere else it's a slap in the face to Edmonton.

Get real. These are real life decisions......not some some fantasy hockey world lived from behind a computer.

Zine is offline   Reply With Quote