HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

(#80) we CAN do this edition Mon @ NY 7 PM MSG PLUS

Old
04-08-2009, 05:22 AM
Blazephr

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipAyten View Post
spending many a times in Montreal I can say the media and pressure from the fans isn't all that noticeable if you only speak english
I live an hour away from Montreal & go to many games. I'm well aware of what it's like up there. Plus, I live a few doors down from a die-hard Habs fan & we speak quite often about the state of The Habs.

Blazephr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 05:29 AM
AJRanger

Big, big 2 points there. Great to see Cally busting his a$$ as per...

AJRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 08:30 AM
Fletch

is it weird that we waited until game 80 to hear about Drury trying to lead? He reminds me of some guys I work with - you don't see them all year, but around January/February after a year they're in the office late and early and talking to the boss more because they feel that's all he'll remember.

Enough of that, it's not really fair to bash now, but I did see that blurb and thought to comment. Great win on home ice. I say great only because it combined with a FLA loss and puts the Rangers in a good position to get into the playoffs. I had long maintainted that anything can happen if the Rangers get into the playoffs, mostly because of Lundqvist's ability to keep them in the game - I'm not sure I think that way any longer.

In any event, I hope they get a win out of the next couple games and don't back into the playoffs...

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 09:01 AM
Section311

Great win last night. Cally played great as usual

Section311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 09:15 AM
HAPPY HOUR

Nice win fellas! one more W and we go to the dance!!

With this team, thats all you can ask for... LGR!!

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 09:20 AM
Blazephr

Tomorrow nights game is going to be even tougher. Flyers are in a battle for home ice advantage with Carolina. We're out if we lose these last two games... The Panthers win their last two and Montreal win at least one of their games..

http://www.nhlplayoffrace.com/east.html

Old
04-08-2009, 09:23 AM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

That was one of the most enjoyable games I've been to this season.

Been throwing Drury under the bus lately, but nice to see him getting it done. let's hope it continues.

Almost didn't go last night, but my little guy wanted to and it was my last reg season game, so I thought: this could be my last chance for him to see a game if we were to blow the playoffs.

I have another family commitment thursday night (choir) so I wont even be able to watch that game on TV.

Is it bad to get text updates for the game whie your daughter is singing?

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 09:33 AM
HAPPY HOUR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazephr View Post
Tomorrow nights game is going to be even tougher. Flyers are in a battle for home ice advantage with Carolina. We're out if we lose these last two games... The Panthers win their last two and Montreal win at least one of their games..

http://www.nhlplayoffrace.com/east.html
Yep. That meltdown in Atlanta can really come back to bite us in the butt.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 09:39 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Special View Post
That was one of the most enjoyable games I've been to this season.

Been throwing Drury under the bus lately, but nice to see him getting it done. let's hope it continues.

Almost didn't go last night, but my little guy wanted to and it was my last reg season game, so I thought: this could be my last chance for him to see a game if we were to blow the playoffs.

I have another family commitment thursday night (choir) so I wont even be able to watch that game on TV.

Is it bad to get text updates for the game whie your daughter is singing?
Absolutely not!

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 10:19 AM
segmentation fault

Quote:
The Panthers win their last two
I dont see them beating Washington, but yeah you never know.

segmentation fault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 10:37 AM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by danno2530 View Post
Great atmosphere at MSG tonight. I do think that the fact that there were a lot of Habs fans there ratcheted things up a bit, but I said that the crowd had to get behind the team and help make these final 2 home games like a vintage-Garden crowd and that's what happened tonight. The team played a very hard-working, physical game. Drury stepped up when we needed him the most, Antropov played an excellent game despite being hurt, Lundqvist came through when we needed him and everything worked out.

I loved the fact that the PA system played "Ole ole ole" at the end of the game When we were leaving the arena and saw some Habs fans, we were singing that. That was fun.

I thought Carey Price was quite shaky tonight, to be honest. He made some acrobatic saves, but he also struggled on some kind of weak shots. I think the kid is going to be good, but he looked like the pressure got to him a little tonight.

Also, big props to the Flyers for taking care of the Panthers tonight. What a weird scene it was seeing the 'Flyers 2 Panthers 1' score flash up on Gardenvision and hearing the whole crowd cheer. Playoff races make you do strange things, that's for sure.

It's been a wild season, very up and down, very stressful at times, but nevertheless here we are. We just need a win or a Panthers loss and we're in. Anything can happen, just look at the '05 Oilers or the '99 Knicks and of course the '07 Giants.

Just get it done, boys. As a side, it would be kind of amusing to see the Habs miss the playoffs as well, but first thing's first let's worry about our own business.

I noticed this. I was paying attention to the game but it looked like it was pretty brutal. I'm guessing Rangers fan and Habs fan?

Not sure if he was a Rangers or Habs fan, but it was him vs the whole section. He was cursing at everyone, throwing beer and popcorn all over the place...then security tried to get him to leave and he started taking on all of them.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 10:56 AM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Obviously...you've not read my previous posts. What I'm saying is...it's not going to happen as long as he's a Hab. Montreal in general, has a habit of chewing up & spitting out their goalies if they don't perform to Patrick Roy expectations.

Best thing this kid's agent could do for him is somehow get him the hell out of Montreal and let him develop properly. Do you honestly think Steve Mason in Columbus would be having such a dynamic rookie year had he been in Montreal? I think not.

Mason blew a game recently against St. Louis when he tried clear the puck up the center of the ice but instead put the puck right on the stick of David Backus right in front the empty net for an easy goal. The Montreal fans & media would have crucified him that very night. Price is not afforded the same luxury as Mason is in Columbus.
No, I did read your post, I just think it's ridiculous to say that he'll never be a top 15 goalie in Montreal when he has already performed like one and is 21 years old. It's beyond shortsighted to say that one slightly less impressive year after an excellent rookie season means that Price will never reach his potential.

And what the hell does Steve Mason have to do with anything?

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 10:59 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
No, I did read your post, I just think it's ridiculous to say that he'll never be a top 15 goalie in Montreal when he has already performed like one and is 21 years old. It's beyond shortsighted to say that one slightly less impressive year after an excellent rookie season means that Price will never reach his potential.

And what the hell does Steve Mason have to do with anything?
It's to compare two goalies in which one is in an environment that is relatively stress-free in terms of media and outside pressure and one which is the epitome of pressure in terms of professional sports where a bad streak and you will be brutally beaten (figuratively of course) by the press and fans.

I'd say environment A is much easier to excel in than environment B.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 11:07 AM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
It's to compare two goalies in which one is in an environment that is relatively stress-free in terms of media and outside pressure and one which is the epitome of pressure in terms of professional sports where a bad streak and you will be brutally beaten (figuratively of course) by the press and fans.

I'd say environment A is much easier to excel in than environment B.
I understand that, but the key is that they are two different goalies with two different personalities. Henrik Lundqvist has responded well to the pressure cooker of NY, but I wouldn't use that as evidence for why Price will succeed in Montreal. David Wright has blossomed in NY, does that mean that Evan Longoria is a lock to become as good since he's only playing in Tampa?

An even better example: Mickey Mantle got off to a rough start as a Yankee playing in Joe DiMaggio's shadow. Seems he was able to overcome the pressure.

The point is that it's WAY too early to decide what Price will or won't become.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 11:39 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
I understand that, but the key is that they are two different goalies with two different personalities. Henrik Lundqvist has responded well to the pressure cooker of NY, but I wouldn't use that as evidence for why Price will succeed in Montreal. David Wright has blossomed in NY, does that mean that Evan Longoria is a lock to become as good since he's only playing in Tampa?

An even better example: Mickey Mantle got off to a rough start as a Yankee playing in Joe DiMaggio's shadow. Seems he was able to overcome the pressure.

I'm not taking a side in this argument, however, to go along with your point, we can also look at Mr. Sean Avery who was great in NY, left in NY, wasn't so good, came back, and now is playing great hockey again.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 12:11 PM
Loffen
Legend

So we're playing Philly on home-ice Thursday . . . gotta make the most out of that oppertunity guys.

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 02:36 PM
Blue Regime

Quote:
Originally Posted by segmentation fault View Post
We can't think about the Panthers at all, just assume they already won their last 2 games. If the Rangers start worrying about the Panthers, even if we make the playoffs, we will have backed in and are set up to be blown out in the 1st round.

Blue Regime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 03:17 PM
Blazephr

Quote:

The pressure-cooker in Montreal for hockey is way, way, way more intense than New York. I read the Montreal boards a lot & even they admit at times that Montreal has a habit of being hard their goalies. And for a 20 year-old kid to be put in that situation makes it that much harder. How often do you suspect Henrik gets recognized walking around in New York? ALL Montreal players get recognized whenever they're out & about. And the fans up there are not past telling you how they feel about your on-ice performance. Trust me, I witnessed it at a Killers concert when we bumped into Jose Theodore outside the venue. It wasn't pretty.

For a rookie...Price did play OK in the play-offs last year. Although, 95% of the goals scored on him were to the glove hand. Some were real softies that ended up costing them more than a few games. Media/TSN were getting on him pretty bad at one point. The glove hand that, the glove hand this.They were relentless. You get the point.

Not every YOUNG goalie that steps in net in Montreal is going to be as mentally tough as Patrick Roy. It's not an easy gig at all.

Last edited by Blazephr: 04-08-2009 at 03:26 PM.
Old
04-08-2009, 04:42 PM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Quote:
Originally Posted by segmentation fault View Post
Washington has no done Squat diddly for us AT ALL they have lost to EVERYONE that needs to lose ,carolina,florida,buffalo and so on

FromTheSide is online now   Reply With Quote