HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Dynamo Moscow signs Omark and Harju

Old
04-08-2009, 10:21 AM
Pure

vCash: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunami View Post
The past has also shown that the only 22 years old players having similar success in the SEL at that age became very good players in the NHL, if not star players

Of course I am not saying it is guaranteed, but I heard so much complaints about Detroit and other teams being "lucky" with their draft picks that it would make me very angry if Edmonton let this one slip away...

Hope this is just a bargaining tactic from his side and that Edmonton does everything they can to sign the guy
If Detroit selects Omark and he signs with them and becomes the next zetterberg, I would just cry..

Pure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 10:26 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

vCash: 500
This sucks. And on a crappy day already.

If he becomes a really great player I hope people aren't making excuses.

This sucks...it would have at least been great to have a chance to have someone special come to the team pretty much out of nowhere.

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 10:27 AM
Seachd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zine View Post
How do you even know he will be playing in a couple years?...he could just as well receive a career ending injury during his first shift as an Oiler.

Players only have a small window of opportunity to make money in this business. And if money is being thrown at a player, I don't blame them to taking it (especially with the world financial crisis going on) because nothing is guaranteed in the future.

You people act like because he's Oilers draft pick Omark 'owes' Edmonton something.....and if he signs somewhere else it's a slap in the face to Edmonton.

Get real. These are real life decisions......not some some fantasy hockey world lived from behind a computer.
If you're going to use that logic, why bring money into it at all? There are far worse things than a career-ending injury, and all the money in the world wouldn't do you any good.

No, nothing's guaranteed in the future... such as getting paid by a KHL team.

He's not likely to get any more interest than he has now. If the NHL is where he wants to play (supposedly), why jeopardize that? Why not work towards it?

Seachd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 10:28 AM
Paralyzer
Tier 13428 Oiler Fan

omg...I am officially done with this team. I'm not gonna be a supporter until something I (the fans) want actually happens...

Paralyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 10:28 AM
malkinfan

Send a message via MSN to malkinfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure View Post
If Detroit selects Omark and he signs with them and becomes the next zetterberg, I would just cry..
I don't think that there are going to be many teams throwing money around for the "next zetterberg" after the disappointment of Brunnstrom.

malkinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 10:33 AM
Garl

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkinfan View Post
I don't think that there are going to be many teams throwing money around for the "next zetterberg" after the disappointment of Brunnstrom.
1st season in NHL 15 goals in 50 games. What a dissapointment.

Garl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 10:36 AM
Pure

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkinfan View Post
Brunnstrom has 25 points in 52 games, he hasn't been that bad and could still develop into a top 6 forward.

Old
04-08-2009, 10:38 AM
jnewton91

The frustrating thing here is that our Euro draft record is SO horrible, that when we finally pull a Detroit and draft what looks like a late round gem we can't even seal the deal and sign the kid.

jnewton91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 10:48 AM
serum114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gylf View Post
Kevin Lowe has really screwed this up. The only reason Linus Omark is going to Russia is because Lowe didn´t make a convincing case for Linus to pick the NHL and the Oilers. You can´t go to a guy and say:

- We won´t give you the max and we´re not sure that you can make the team because we have a lot of young guys with your size.

The biggest reason Omark picked Russia was because they believed in the kid. Next year Omark will sign a great deal with another NHL-club and will probably become a star. If you think that the Russians is getting Omark because of a penalty shot in a friendly game you´re truly ignorant. The Russians have scouted the kid as much or truly even more than the Oilers.

Omark is a better player than Robert Nilsson. Omark has a better shot of making the Swedish Olympic team than Robert Nilsson does... Nilsson makes 2.0M next year. For comparisons.

Kevin Lowe is not making the Oliers a better team. The NHL is every swedish kids dream. Kevin Lowe couldn´t even use and just simply get Omark to feel that the Oilers believed in him. That´s the making of a terrible GM.
Because Lowe is the GM, right?

serum114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 10:52 AM
KRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd View Post
He's not likely to get any more interest than he has now. If the NHL is where he wants to play (supposedly), why jeopardize that? Why not work towards it?
I think Omark's ultimate goal is the NHL, but to be honest him or his agent, me or any other hockey fan would probably agree that his best way of achieving that goal isn't with the Oilers organisation. Since he hasn't signed any contract yet, only has a verbal agreement with Dynamo, it might be the case that he is just waiting it out until he becomes available in the draft again.

KRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 10:56 AM
MerryJ99

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
Truth is, this organization never did anything but rave about Omark - they just refused to give him massive bonuses and assurances that he wouldn't have to play in the AHL. No organization, American or otherwise, would have given him that either. They'd be stupid to.
This is exactly it, what would happen if Edmonton gave him a one way deal and he fell apart, was not the player everyone thought he was? I would question if any other team would have given him this deal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gylf View Post
Kevin Lowe has really screwed this up. The only reason Linus Omark is going to Russia is because Lowe didn´t make a convincing case for Linus to pick the NHL and the Oilers. You can´t go to a guy and say:

- We won´t give you the max and we´re not sure that you can make the team because we have a lot of young guys with your size.

The biggest reason Omark picked Russia was because they believed in the kid. Next year Omark will sign a great deal with another NHL-club and will probably become a star. If you think that the Russians is getting Omark because of a penalty shot in a friendly game you´re truly ignorant. The Russians have scouted the kid as much or truly even more than the Oilers.

Omark is a better player than Robert Nilsson. Omark has a better shot of making the Swedish Olympic team than Robert Nilsson does... Nilsson makes 2.0M next year. For comparisons.

Kevin Lowe is not making the Oliers a better team. The NHL is every swedish kids dream. Kevin Lowe couldn´t even use and just simply get Omark to feel that the Oilers believed in him. That´s the making of a terrible GM.
You do know that Kevin Lowe is not the GM right? This would be Tambellini's job to sign him now, him along with Olczyk.

I would really like to know though if he does go back to the draft or if the Oilers still hold his rights?

MerryJ99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 10:57 AM
Seachd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krm500 View Post
I think Omark's ultimate goal is the NHL, but to be honest him or his agent, me or any other hockey fan would probably agree that his best way of achieving that goal isn't with the Oilers organisation. Since he hasn't signed any contract yet, only has a verbal agreement with Dynamo, it might be the case that he is just waiting it out until he becomes available in the draft again.
He probably has a better chance with the Oilers than most teams.

Old
Seachd

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Horrible horrible decision to not sign him by the Oil. An almost zero risk kid and we piss him away. Give him the rookie max and if he doesn't make the team send him back to europe. No risk, just reqard. But no, 875K is too much for him, apparently.

Typical of us. We are such a ghetto organization and I am so fed up with this team right now.
It's a lot more than $875,000.

Old
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Horrible horrible decision to not sign him by the Oil. An almost zero risk kid and we piss him away. Give him the rookie max and if he doesn't make the team send him back to europe. No risk, just reqard. But no, 875K is too much for him, apparently.

Typical of us. We are such a ghetto organization and I am so fed up with this team right now.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 10:59 AM
OmarksTheSpot

Wow, that is just typical.

We get so excited watching this guy show off his moves for us, only to sign in the ****ing KHL.

**** me gently, this is an absolute joke. The boys in management better get something done this offseason to make up for the blunders that they have made in the past 2 years.

Last edited by Seachd: 04-08-2009 at 11:08 AM.
OmarksTheSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 11:05 AM
DousedInOil

I don't get why everyone is so angry? He is still Oilers property. Just instead of playing in the AHL next year he will be in the KHL.

DousedInOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 11:07 AM
Zine

Quote:
If you're going to use that logic, why bring money into it at all? There are far worse things than a career-ending injury, and all the money in the world wouldn't do you any good.
Because money = security; not only for yourself but your family as well (if, heaven forbid, you're not there to provide for them).

Quote:
No, nothing's guaranteed in the future... such as getting paid by a KHL team.

He signed with Dynamo, not some crap poor team like Khimik that can't pay and won't be in the league next year.

Quote:

If he lights up KHL, yes he will get more interest. In the case that he doesn't, he can still go and prove himself in the AHL and get paid what Edmonton seems to want to offer him.

Taking 1 year out of supposedly 'achieving your dream' to secure future financial security is a smart move.....especially in the unsecure fiscal times we live in. I can't think of anybody that wouldn't do that.

Omark doesn't owe Edmonton anything.

Zine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 11:07 AM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemmersaJemmer View Post
I don't get why everyone is so angry? He is still Oilers property. Just instead of playing in the AHL next year he will be in the KHL.
No he's not if hes not signed by July 1st hes goes back into the draft.

Oilers dropped the ball.

Valic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 11:08 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryJ99 View Post
This is exactly it, what would happen if Edmonton gave him a one way deal and he fell apart, was not the player everyone thought he was? I would question if any other team would have given him this deal?

Once again. OMARK WAS NOT ELIGIBLE FOR A ONE WAY DEAL. Please stop talking about it like it was a possibility.

Quote:
It's a lot more than $875,000.
Well it doesn't say anything about bonuses in the article, just the max pay issue. 875K would be max pay for him.

Even assuming you are right and he wanted a 1.6-1.7 cap hit deal w/ bonuses ala Cogs/Gags, it's with zero risk as if he doesn't make the team he's going back to Europe anyways so no cap hit.

Seachd I think you're reaching here for justification, bud.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 11:12 AM
MrOiler

After Schremp, you would think that people would learn.

Youtube does not equal shoe-in to NHL success. Too many 16 y.o.'s on this board who can't pass by a ledge without want to jump off.

MrOiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 11:12 AM
Seachd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zine View Post
Because money = security; not only for yourself but your family as well (if, heaven forbid, you're not there to provide for them).

He signed with Dynamo, not some crap poor team like Khimik that can't pay and won't be in the league next year.

If he lights up KHL, yes he will get more interest. In the case that he doesn't, he can still go and prove himself in the AHL and get paid what Edmonton seems to want to offer him.

Taking 1 year out of supposedly 'achieving your dream' to secure future financial security is a smart move.....especially in the unsecure fiscal times we live in. I can't think of anybody that wouldn't do that.

Omark doesn't owe Edmonton anything.
Edmonton doesn't owe Omark anything either until he proves himself.

If Omark thinks the extra few hundred thousand he'll make in Russia compare to what he could be well on his way to making with the Oilers... he's doing himself a disservice in the long run.

Old
04-08-2009, 11:15 AM
romelson

Send a message via MSN to romelson
I translated a couple of quotes from an interview with Omark/Harju
http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportblade...icle4856941.ab

"It was an easy decision. Edmonton doesnt seem to believe in me."
-Omark

"Going there(Moscow) is challenging. I wasnt happy with what Edmonton offered, they haven't shown that they want me."
-Omark

"Edmonton has said that they have enough small players, that there's nothing wrong with me, but that Im small. That doesnt feel that nice to hear, so it's not just about the money. I want to be in the NHL, not in the AHL."
-Omark

"KHL is a better league than SEL, and this is one step on the way to NHL"
-Harju

"It felt right going to Russia. I've considered the pros and cons, and what finally made me make this decision, was the chance to play one more year along with Linus. I think they're surprised in Tampa, but I hope to one day get a chance in the NHL. I havent given up that dream."
-Harju

romelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 11:16 AM
Seachd

Quote:
Originally Posted by romelson View Post
I translated a couple of quotes from an interview with Omark/Harju
http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportblade...icle4856941.ab

"It was an easy decision. Edmonton doesnt seem to believe in me."
-Omark

"Going there(Moscow) is challenging. I wasnt happy with what Edmonton offered, they haven't shown that they want me."
-Omark

"Edmonton has said that they have enough small players, that there's nothing wrong with me, but that Im small. That doesnt feel that nice to hear, so it's not just about the money. I want to be in the NHL, not in the AHL."
-Omark

"KHL is a better league than SEL, and this is one step on the way to NHL"
-Harju

"It felt right going to Russia. I've considered the pros and cons, and what finally made me make this decision, was the chance to play one more year along with Linus. I think they're surprised in Tampa, but I hope to one day get a chance in the NHL. I havent given up that dream."
-Harju
This confirms there are more important things to them than playing in the NHL. Disappointing, and it's their decision, even though it seems pretty clear to be the wrong one.

Old
04-08-2009, 11:18 AM
nsoilfan

i dont like the 2 year euro development time before we have to sign them. i liked it as it was. now we risk losing there rights if we dont sign them and they have the khl driving up their value. kinda puts us up against a wall to offer the euros max money. then the NA players will want max $ and the cap hit for prospects is huge. remember we will have to give schremp and brule one way deals next year. we already have to many tweeners as it is and to hope and pray that omark is the same player in NA as he was in europe might be to much to ask. where does he fit in on our top 6 ? hemsky horcoff o'sulivan, cogs, gags, penner, nielson , kotalik or other UFA, botom 6 pisani brodz moreau MAP storts big mac/ coming up the pipe schremp brule reddox, jfj, potulny,
i think the oilers planed on minor league development with him which they should have and he wanted to be in the NHL or KHL next year. its his choice and he chose what he wanted. if he enters the draft the oilers could still use a pick to retain his rights.

nsoilfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 11:21 AM
Pure

Quote:
This confirms there are more important things to them than playing in the NHL. Disappointing, and it's their decision, even though it seems pretty clear to be the wrong one.
He just said he doesn't want to play in the AHL and only wants the NHL. Whats wrong with choosing KHL over AHL?