HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dynamo Moscow signs Omark and Harju

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-08-2009, 11:22 AM
  #126
runeeres
Seasons in the Abyss
 
runeeres's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bergen, Norway
Country: Norway
Posts: 1,097
vCash: 500
I'm getting a headache from reading this thread. For crying out loud, 90% of you haven't even seen the boy play. What are you contributing?

Bottom line, we've missed out. Just because the Oilers' brass thought he was too small. Good idea drafting him in the first place, then. I'm absolutely disgusted with management. My opinion, and mind you, it comes from someone that has actually seen him play, is that this will bite us in the ass. I'm lefting shaking my head. The absolute idiocy of it. The Edmonton Oilers, where The Bionic Eye is worth five times as much as skill. What a joke this organisation has become. Truly disgusting.

runeeres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 11:22 AM
  #127
Seachd
Registered User
 
Seachd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: The Fail
Posts: 13,385
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure View Post
He just said he doesn't want to play in the AHL and only wants the NHL. Whats wrong with choosing KHL over AHL?
That's not what he's doing.

Who guaranteed he'd be playing in the AHL?

Seachd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 11:23 AM
  #128
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO
 
Valic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,664
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOiler View Post
After Schremp, you would think that people would learn.

Youtube does not equal shoe-in to NHL success. Too many 16 y.o.'s on this board who can't pass by a ledge without want to jump off.
You realize most of us could care less about youtube? We are going on the fact that at 21, he was 3rd in scoring in the SEL. Every player who has ever been top 3 in scoring in the SEL at such a young age who came over to the NHL has been of All-star quality.

Valic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 11:23 AM
  #129
enthropi
Hiss Hiss (TKA) Hiss
 
enthropi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Beijing, China
Posts: 3,872
vCash: 500
IMO, with this move, Omark places himself into a position where he is like many Russian prospects that teams are worried they are wasting a pick. Hence why I say TBay will draft him and bring him and his boyfriend over in the Sedin-style.







By the way, why didn't we offer him a one-way deal? I mean if Montoya can get the same type of contract with the NY Rangers, why couldn't we do that with Omark, this management sucks Japanese-engineered octo-testicular genitals from outer-space.... Really.


enthropi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 11:26 AM
  #130
romelson
Registered User
 
romelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Örnsköldsvik
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,018
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to romelson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd View Post
This confirms there are more important things to them than playing in the NHL. Disappointing, and it's their decision, even though it seems pretty clear to be the wrong one.
It's definately a right decision. We will for sure see more NHL-bound europeans who prefer the KHL instead of AHL as a way to the NHL. Why risk wasting years of your short hockey career in AHL. Of course, not every prospect will get a chance to play in the KHL, so some will of course still accept AHL.

romelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 11:27 AM
  #131
Seachd
Registered User
 
Seachd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: The Fail
Posts: 13,385
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by romelson View Post
It's definately a right decision. We will for sure see more NHL-bound europeans who prefer the KHL instead of AHL as a way to the NHL. Why risk wasting years of your short hockey career in AHL. Of course, not every prospect will get a chance to play in the KHL, so some will of course still accept AHL.
Then why does anyone risk wasting years of their short hockey career in the SEL?

Seachd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 11:29 AM
  #132
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,263
vCash: 8345
Lowe is saving his money for Hossa.
Omark will end up in Calgary and score 40 goals, while we will have one forward with 20.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 11:30 AM
  #133
MerryJ99
Registered User
 
MerryJ99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,151
vCash: 500
OK we can't sign him to a one way deal, but we also cannot guarantee him that he was not going to play in the AHL and it really sounds like he wanted that kind of guarantee. Playing in the KHL is not all it is cracked up to be either, but at least he might get his payday (that is if they don't make the players in the KHL take another huge pay cut)

Now can someone please without a doubt clarify that we loose his rights now, I am just curious is all. No one is 100% sure it seems.

MerryJ99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 11:32 AM
  #134
Garl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 5,822
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by romelson View Post
It's definately a right decision. We will for sure see more NHL-bound europeans who prefer the KHL instead of AHL as a way to the NHL. Why risk wasting years of your short hockey career in AHL. Of course, not every prospect will get a chance to play in the KHL, so some will of course still accept AHL.
IMO players must stay in SEL in this case.

However, I just read that they signed 2-years deal. Sad day for swedish icehockey if so. 2 promising players thrown their careers to trash container. 1-year deal is OK, but 2-year deal is very bad.

Garl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 11:32 AM
  #135
Terva
 
Terva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: LULEĹ
Country: Sweden
Posts: 48
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOiler View Post
After Schremp, you would think that people would learn.

Youtube does not equal shoe-in to NHL success. Too many 16 y.o.'s on this board who can't pass by a ledge without want to jump off.
I can understand how you guys over there may think that he´s just a youtube phenomena. But I´ve seen this guy play night after night and he´s the real deal. You see players like this every ten years or so in swedish hockey. The last player before him who did the same things in his age is Henrik Zetterberg. Before that it was the Sedins, before that Peter Forsberg and so on.

I´m not saying that Omark IS the next Forsberg or Zetterberg but he has all the tools to be an All Star player. But in somw strange way the fact that he was drafted in the fourth round is more important to the Oilers than the fact that he is preforming really well right now.

Terva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 11:33 AM
  #136
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO
 
Valic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,664
vCash: 500
Everyone is insane if they think Omark is being greedy...

Its called being realistic... A million dollars tax free goes a long way if you get injured.

65,000, wait nevermind, we didnt even offer Omark the maximum AHL salary of 65,000 dollars, 50,000 or 1,000,000 Guaranteed.

Valic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 11:34 AM
  #137
Pure
Registered User
 
Pure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 9,944
vCash: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd View Post
That's not what he's doing.

Who guaranteed he'd be playing in the AHL?
He didn't get a guarantee he would play in the NHL and from his quotes he clearly felt that the Oilers thought he needed to play in the AHL, and that he didn't fit the Oiler's need.

"Edmonton has said that they have enough small players, that there's nothing wrong with me, but that Im small. That doesnt feel that nice to hear, so it's not just about the money. I want to be in the NHL, not in the AHL."

If he got a NHL guarentee, which I think he should have, then this wouldn't be a problem.

Quote:
Then why does anyone risk wasting years of their short hockey career in the SEL?
You're grasping at straws and you know it. SEL is a way better league than the AHL. If he was tearing up the AHL, not many people would care. A lot of 21 year olds can own the AHL.

Pure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 11:34 AM
  #138
enthropi
Hiss Hiss (TKA) Hiss
 
enthropi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Beijing, China
Posts: 3,872
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryJ99 View Post
OK we can't sign him to a one way deal, but we also cannot guarantee him that he was not going to play in the AHL and it really sounds like he wanted that kind of guarantee. Playing in the KHL is not all it is cracked up to be either, but at least he might get his payday (that is if they don't make the players in the KHL take another huge pay cut)

Now can someone please without a doubt clarify that we loose his rights now, I am just curious is all. No one is 100% sure it seems.
It depends on 1 thing I think:
If we can sign him before June 1st.
And that will likely ONLY be possible now if he has an out-clause in his KHL contract, which is not likely on a 1y deal with Moscow.

enthropi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 11:36 AM
  #139
Senor Catface
Registered User
 
Senor Catface's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: Nepal
Posts: 6,166
vCash: 500
Let's see if anyone in the media calls the Oilers about this...

Senor Catface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 11:37 AM
  #140
Senor Catface
Registered User
 
Senor Catface's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: Nepal
Posts: 6,166
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Yeah, I can see that. And it wouldn't surprise me for this organization to take such a shallow analysis of their prospects. 4th round? And he wants max?

I have a bad feeling this is going to turn out like Parise Part 2.
To be honest, it would be more embarrasing if he turns out. The fact we actually drafted him and just didn't sign him would really be a big shame.

Senor Catface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 11:38 AM
  #141
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle
 
smackdaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,750
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terva View Post
I can understand how you guys over there may think that he´s just a youtube phenomena. But I´ve seen this guy play night after night and he´s the real deal. You see players like this every ten years or so in swedish hockey. The last player before him who did the same things in his age is Henrik Zetterberg. Before that it was the Sedins, before that Peter Forsberg and so on.

I´m not saying that Omark IS the next Forsberg or Zetterberg but he has all the tools to be an All Star player. But in somw strange way the fact that he was drafted in the fourth round is more important to the Oilers than the fact that he is preforming really well right now.
Yeah, I can see that. And it wouldn't surprise me for this organization to take such a shallow analysis of their prospects. 4th round? And he wants max?

I have a bad feeling this is going to turn out like Parise Part 2.

smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 11:39 AM
  #142
MerryJ99
Registered User
 
MerryJ99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,151
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valic View Post
Everyone is insane if they think Omark is being greedy...

Its called being realistic... A million dollars tax free goes a long way if you get injured.

65,000, wait nevermind, we didnt even offer Omark the maximum AHL salary of 65,000 dollars, 50,000 or 1,000,000 Guaranteed.
Putting things in perspective you are absolutely correct, if anyone here was offered the same job and one employer was paying you over $1Million and the other was offering you under that with the possibility of maybe making under 100K what job would you take? I know what I would be doing.

It just is too bad that it comes to this though as I was looking forward to seeing what he could do in the NHL and with the Oilers.

MerryJ99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 11:39 AM
  #143
Zine
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,723
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd View Post
Edmonton doesn't owe Omark anything either until he proves himself.

If Omark thinks the extra few hundred thousand he'll make in Russia compare to what he could be well on his way to making with the Oilers... he's doing himself a disservice in the long run.

An extra few hundred thousand? Omark will reportedly make around $1.8 million net income at Dynamo.

How much was Edmonton offering him?......and there's no guarantee he will even play in NHL in future.

Zine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 11:41 AM
  #144
Seachd
Registered User
 
Seachd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: The Fail
Posts: 13,385
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure View Post
He didn't get a guarantee he would play in the NHL and from his quotes he clearly felt that the Oilers thought he needed to play in the AHL, and that he didn't fit the Oiler's need.

"Edmonton has said that they have enough small players, that there's nothing wrong with me, but that Im small. That doesnt feel that nice to hear, so it's not just about the money. I want to be in the NHL, not in the AHL."

If he got a NHL guarentee, which I think he should have, then this wouldn't be a problem.
What has he done to deserve a guarantee to play in the NHL? Finishing 3rd in scoring in the SEL does NOT guarantee an NHL roster spot. Why should it? If it did, NHL rosters would be completely full of Swedes. Why not step on the ice in North America a couple times to prove it first? If he's that confident in his abilities, why not come to Edmonton and get your big payday when the CBA says you can have it? Because a million dollars is nothing compared to what he could be making soon. If this is the big break he's been waiting for, he's in for a giant surprise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure View Post
You're grasping at straws and you know it. SEL is a way better league than the AHL. If he was tearing up the AHL, not many people would care. A lot of 21 year olds can own the AHL.
Obviously it was sarcasm, but the line of thinking is identical.

Seachd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 11:42 AM
  #145
Systemfel
Global Moderator
Hockey Talk by Country
 
Systemfel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Gothenburg
Country: Sweden
Posts: 8,648
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by enthropi View Post
Who wants to bet TBay selects Omark with their 2nd pick?
Probably no one. He's not re-entering the draft.

Systemfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 11:42 AM
  #146
USC Trojans
I have a plan.
 
USC Trojans's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: LA Oiler fan
Posts: 11,710
vCash: 500
sigh....i guess there's not much to do than to look forward to the draft.

USC Trojans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 11:42 AM
  #147
Seachd
Registered User
 
Seachd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: The Fail
Posts: 13,385
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zine View Post
An extra few hundred thousand? Omark will reportedly make around $1.8 million net income at Dynamo.

How much was Edmonton offering him?......and there's no guarantee he will even play in NHL in future.
That's great. I'm happy for him. It will likely be the most he'll ever make in a year.

And if there's no guarantee he'd play in the NHL, he shouldn't be asking for a guaranteed roster spot or a fully loaded contract, should he?

Seachd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 11:43 AM
  #148
Seachd
Registered User
 
Seachd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: The Fail
Posts: 13,385
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Systemfel View Post
Probably no one. He's not re-entering the draft.
According to the CBA, he doesn't have a choice. The only thing that would prevent him from going back into the draft is if the Oilers keep his rights due to the lack of a transfer agreement, but I'm not sure how that will play out.

Seachd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 11:43 AM
  #149
enthropi
Hiss Hiss (TKA) Hiss
 
enthropi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Beijing, China
Posts: 3,872
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Systemfel View Post
Probably no one. He's not re-entering the draft.
Why not?

enthropi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 11:44 AM
  #150
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO
 
Valic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,664
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd View Post
What has he done to deserve a guarantee to play in the NHL? Finishing 3rd in scoring in the SEL does NOT guarantee an NHL roster spot. Why should it? If it did, NHL rosters would be completely full of Swedes. Why not step on the ice in North America a couple times to prove it first? If he's that confident in his abilities, why not come to Edmonton and get your big payday when the CBA says you can have it? Because a million dollars is nothing compared to what he could be making soon. If this is the big break he's been waiting for, he's in for a giant surprise.



Obviously it was sarcasm, but the line of thinking is identical.
You are grasping if you think this hurts Omarks ability to come over into the NHL in the future. Odds are he would have needed a year in the minors, maybe two. One year developing in the KHL at 1.8 million dollars, being redrafted, coming over to NA next year would likely give him just as good of a chance in the NHL.

Skill has alot more to do with a player making the NHL than developmental time in the AHL.

Valic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:25 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.