HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dynamo Moscow signs Omark and Harju

Old
04-08-2009, 11:45 AM
Sammy*

vCash: 500
I havnt seen Oiler fans so outraged about a non-signing since we didnt sign Mike Johnson or Mark Eaton.
Sign of the times I guess.
Stupidity reigns in all the hyperbole here.

Sammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Senor Catface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Systemfel View Post
Probably no one. He's not re-entering the draft.

So much conflicting info...

Senor Catface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Seachd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valic View Post
You are grasping if you think this hurts Omarks ability to come over into the NHL in the future. Odds are he would have needed a year in the minors, maybe two. One year developing in the KHL at 1.8 million dollars, being redrafted, coming over to NA next year would likely give him just as good of a chance in the NHL.

Skill has alot more to do with a player making the NHL than developmental time in the AHL.
If Omark gets 20 points in the KHL next season, there will be as much interest in him as there is now?

Not to mention the quickest way to the NHL is likely to sign an NHL contract with a team you could play with next season. Seems like a no brainer to me.

Seachd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 11:47 AM
Zine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd View Post
That's great. I'm happy for him. It will likely be the most he'll ever make in a year.

And if there's no guarantee he'd play in the NHL, he shouldn't be asking for a guaranteed roster spot or a fully loaded contract, should he?
Why not?

Zine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 11:48 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryJ99 View Post

Now can someone please without a doubt clarify that we loose his rights now, I am just curious is all. No one is 100% sure it seems.
No many of us are 100% certain. We lose his rights as of June 1st if he's not signed by us and he's free to re-enter the draft, Guy as mentioned this a few times. And unless I'm mistaken, Omark could not sign up for the draft and try to sign as a UFA after next year as no NHL team will own his rights

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 11:51 AM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

Quote:
If Omark gets 20 points in the KHL next season, there will be as much interest in him as there is now?
You argument is flawed. You say Omark could hurt his value by having a bad season in the KHL. His value would be just as hurt if he has a bad season in the AHL. It has no bearing where he plays, either he plays good and maintains or increases his value, or he plays bad and loses value. It doesn't matter where it happens.

Unless you seem to think he will automatically do better in the AHL I don't see how your argument has any legitimate stance.

Valic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 11:51 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
According to the CBA, he doesn't have a choice. The only thing that would prevent him from going back into the draft is if the Oilers keep his rights due to the lack of a transfer agreement, but I'm not sure how that will play out.
Why is this Seachd? Is Omark forced to re-enter because he was drafted before? I assumed re-entering the draft was voluntary.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 11:52 AM
Pure

vCash: 665
Quote:
What has he done to deserve a guarantee to play in the NHL? Finishing 3rd in scoring in the SEL does NOT guarantee an NHL roster spot. Why should it? If it did, NHL rosters would be completely full of Swedes. Why not step on the ice in North America a couple times to prove it first? If he's that confident in his abilities, why not come to Edmonton and get your big payday when the CBA says you can have it? Because a million dollars is nothing compared to what he could be making soon. If this is the big break he's been waiting for, he's in for a giant surprise.
How many players on their entry level salary are 3rd in scoring in the SEL? How many of them go on and then plays in the AHL when they are getting paid less than 100k? It makes absolutely no sense to risk your short career playing in the AHL when he has been great in a superior league. So, yes I do think he deserves a NHL roster spot right now.

In the KHL he is taking a step forward and getting paid great money. He still has a chance to play in the NHL and get drafted by another team. That makes perfect sense to me. If he signed without a guaranteed roster spot, he risks playing in the AHL, doesn't get guarentee life changing money (which matters to ANYONE) and his chances of playing in the NHL are not any higher than his chance going from KHL to NHL. His contract is only one year long, some team will draft him to get his rights, and guarentee him a spot with good salary (w/ bonuses). I could see the Leafs do it with their cap space.

Pure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 11:52 AM
Seachd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zine View Post
Why not?
He's not going to get it, obviously. If he's so good, why not just go to Edmonton and make the team? He finished 3rd in scoring in Sweden, so it should be easy, shouldn't it?

If he's successful, he'll soon be making a lot more than $1.8 million or whatever he'll be getting in Russia.

If not, the KHL will likely be waiting to throw money at him when he's done.

It's obviously all about the money with him, and that's the disappointing part, especially when he says the NHL is his "dream".

Old
04-08-2009, 11:53 AM
copperandblue

Quote:
What has he done to deserve a guarantee to play in the NHL?
I am not sure what mystifies me more.

Omark's position that he deserves a NHL roster spot or the fans that continue to drool over every new shiny object to come along as if there is no risk involved.

What he has earned is a chance to show he can play. Nothing more. The organization would be negligent to hand over a roster spot without seeing any proof that his game can translate to success in the NHL.

Another consideration that I haven't seen touched on yet is the trickle down effect if the Oilers capitulated on Omark's demands and not only paid him the max (which is obviously out of scale for a 4th round pick) but gauranteed him a roster spot on top of it.

There have been more than a few rumbles about a rift in the dressing room between the vets thinking that the kids need to pay their proper dues and the kids not understanding what proper dues are.

How does introducing to the dressing room another kid who isn't willing to pay his dues help bridge that rift moving forward.

This isn't solely about Omark.

copperandblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 11:54 AM
Heavy Dee

Quote:
My bad... I didn't know you've seen him play in North America already.
you obviously have...

Heavy Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Pure

vCash: 665
Quote:

Not to mention the quickest way to the NHL is likely to sign an NHL contract with a team you could play with next season. Seems like a no brainer to me.
If he gets 20 points in the KHL, he might not even get 20 in the NHL. In which case he gets sent to the minors. Seems like a no brainer to me, sub 100k salary vs. 1 million tax free. KHL vs. AHL.

Pure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperandblue View Post

This isn't solely about Omark.
If this isn't solely about Omark it is just more proof of dysfunction with this team. If one of the reasons you are not bringing over a highly gifted prospect is because you don't want to worsen an already bad dressing room atmopshere, you have a problem.

Old
04-08-2009, 11:56 AM
Seachd

Quote:
You argument is flawed. You say Omark could hurt his value by having a bad season in the KHL. His value would be just as hurt if he has a bad season in the AHL. It has no bearing where he plays, either he plays good and maintains or increases his value, or he plays bad and loses value. It doesn't matter where it happens.

Unless you seem to think he will automatically do better in the AHL I don't see how your argument has any legitimate stance.
Do you disagree that he could play at least a little with the Oilers next year? If he's so good, he should be able to. So why not prove it?

It might not matter to you where it happens, but it clearly matters to NHL teams. We've seen it over and over. At least if he fails in the NHL, he can say he's been there and tried. If he fails in Russia, he might never get the chance.

But hey, at least he'll have some more spending money.

Old
04-08-2009, 11:56 AM
weirdg

The Oilers should've traded his rights... something is always better than nothing. Even if it's a late draft pick.

I actually kinda happy that we didn't meet his demands for the following reason:

A) We already have too many overpaid underachieving players.
B) He appears to be a "me first" player.
C) The Swedish Elite League is NOT the NHL. Case and point; Horcoff was second in scoring in Sweden during the lockout year, and Brunnstrom was supposed to be the next Alfredsson(that could still happen).
D) Omark remind me of guys like Robbie Schremp, Rafer Alston(NBA), Kimbo Slice(UFC). These guys all had internet hype, but failed to prove they were real deal come showtime.
E) He wants a one way contract. That's too much to ask for someone that is unproven in the NHL.

I think we're better off in the end. It would've been nice to trade his rights for something though. I would want another Lombardi/Stoll scenery to happen. Lombardi seems to play his best games against us too.

WG

weirdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 11:57 AM
vb

Is this an exclusive contract? What prevents him from signing with the Oilers tomorrow?

vb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 11:58 AM
Seachd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure View Post
How many players on their entry level salary are 3rd in scoring in the SEL? How many of them go on and then plays in the AHL when they are getting paid less than 100k? It makes absolutely no sense to risk your short career playing in the AHL when he has been great in a superior league. So, yes I do think he deserves a NHL roster spot right now.

In the KHL he is taking a step forward and getting paid great money. He still has a chance to play in the NHL and get drafted by another team. That makes perfect sense to me. If he signed without a guaranteed roster spot, he risks playing in the AHL, doesn't get guarentee life changing money (which matters to ANYONE) and his chances of playing in the NHL are not any higher than his chance going from KHL to NHL. His contract is only one year long, some team will draft him to get his rights, and guarentee him a spot with good salary (w/ bonuses). I could see the Leafs do it with their cap space.
We're also hearing it could be a two-year deal. So when that deal's up, does he think he's more likely to make the NHL without going through the AHL? He could be in for a shock.

Old
04-08-2009, 12:00 PM
copperandblue

Quote:
If this isn't solely about Omark it is just more proof of dysfunction with this team. If one of the reasons you are not bringing over a highly gifted prospect is because you don't want to worsen an already bad dressing room atmopshere, you have a problem.
I think you need to pay closer attention to what was offered.

They are willing to bring him over and they are willing to give him the opportunity to play in the NHL.

The only thing they aren't willing to do is give him a NHL roster without him earning it based on performance.

As it should be.

A dysfunctional team would gaurantee him that spot, damn the consequences.

I thought the mandate of all NHL teams was to ice the best team possible, can you say that without a doubt Omark would fit with that mandate?

copperandblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Seachd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure View Post
If he gets 20 points in the KHL, he might not even get 20 in the NHL. In which case he gets sent to the minors. Seems like a no brainer to me, sub 100k salary vs. 1 million tax free. KHL vs. AHL.
And if that's the case, we'll all be looking back a few years ago wondering why there was all this fuss over a player that didn't have what it takes to make the NHL.

Old
I am the Liquor

vCash: 7000
Maybe players are aware of death by Mactavish and dont want to be buried in the minors. I would take his deal and be closer to home over coming over here and riding ahl busses and making a tenth of what I could be making. Its a no brainer. He can come over here when conditions are more favourable to him. Why, given a choice, would any player come here right now? It would have to be your only alternative.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 12:01 PM
vb

Quote:
We're also hearing it could be a two-year deal. So when that deal's up, does he think he's more likely to make the NHL without going through the AHL? He could be in for a shock.
The exodus from Lulea continues

vb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 12:03 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

I thought maybe the chaos over at Springfield might have played into his decision as well.

If Springfield was one of the top 3 teams in the AHL, maybe it would have been easier to come over.

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 12:03 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Maybe players are aware of death by Mactavish and dont want to be buried in the minors. I would take his deal and be closer to home over coming over here and riding ahl busses and making a tenth of what I could be making. Its a no brainer. He can come over here when conditions are more favourable to him. Why, given a choice, would any player come here right now? It would have to be your only alternative.
Is that like being Munsoned in the movie Kingpin???

Bryanbryoil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 12:04 PM
Seachd

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Why is this Seachd? Is Omark forced to re-enter because he was drafted before? I assumed re-entering the draft was voluntary.
Under the new CBA, entering the draft is never voluntary. It will always happen under certain conditions.

Old
04-08-2009, 12:05 PM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

Quote:
Do you disagree that he could play at least a little with the Oilers next year? If he's so good, he should be able to. So why not prove it?

It might not matter to you where it happens, but it clearly matters to NHL teams. We've seen it over and over. At least if he fails in the NHL, he can say he's been there and tried. If he fails in Russia, he might never get the chance.

But hey, at least he'll have some more spending money.
He most definitely could play with the Oilers next year. He could also get hurt in camp, start the season in the AHL, have someone else take his place in the NHL, have that player hold the roster spot for the year leaving Omark in the minors making next to nothing, as the Oilers have never let offensive talent rot in the minors before

The point of the matter is, we we're not even willing to pay him 850,000 dollars and some bonuses if he stuck on the Oilers. If he made the Oilers it would likely have been on the 2nd or 3rd line. Replacing someone with a higher cap figure over the next 2-3 years.

If he wasn't good enough we send him to the minors, or loan him to the KHL/SEL and don't worry about it till next year in camp.

I don't see how anyone can find a legitmate reason to justify letting Omark leave the Oilers franchise.