HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pacioretty in the Clear - Tweaking the Lineup

Old
04-08-2009, 06:01 AM
BaseballCoach

vCash: 500
Pacioretty in the Clear - Tweaking the Lineup

Max Pacioretty has now spent enough time in Hamilton to allow the club to bring him back up and play the final two games of the regular season without hitting a total of 40 regular season games on the NHL roster. This means that he is now UFA eligible only in 2016 and not in 2015, a difference that could potentially save the Habs millions of dollars.

Given the current injury situation, and assuming Pacioretty is available again, what could Bob Gainey do to get the most out of his available roster players?

Assume the first line is left intact. I would try a second offensive line of Lapierre and Latendresse, with Andrei Kostitsyn replacing Kostopoulos.

I would use as the third (defensive) line Metropolit with Kostopoulos and Higgins. They have all been effective players in this role.

As much as I like Dandenault as the checking RW, Kosto can do a decent job covering for him, while Dandy takes on a more important role on D, replacing the very nervous Ryan O'Byrne.

Which brings us to the fourth line, meaning whatever is left over, playing whatever minutes are left available. Even with his disappointing season points-wise, Plekanec has to be in the lineup. I can't see us going to a Chipchura or Maxwell, nor moving Higgins to center at this point. Pacioretty would give us some speed and bumping ability, while at the same time minimizing the pressure on him to put up numbers since he would not be placed on one of the top two scoring lines.

Who play on RW? D'Agostini made a nice case for himself yesterday, hustling more than I've seen in a month, getting his nose dirty and obtaining some scoring chances. I wouldn't be afraid to use him again.

For the powerplay, I would try to replace Markov's passing ability from the left point with our other great passer, Tanguay, putting Gorges on the right side to replace Schneider. Hammer and Breezer would return to the second unit. d'Agostini and Higgins would alternate in Tanguay's spot on LW until we could see which of the two contributes more in that role.

Koivu-Kovalev-Tanguay
Lapierre-A.Kostitsyn-Latendresse
Metropolit-Kostopoulos-Higgins
Plekanec-d'Agostini-Pacioretty

Komisarek-Gorges
Brisebois-Hamrlik
Dandenault-Janik

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 06:38 AM
Mise en echec
Nothin' but mammals

I wouldn't break up the Lapierre line, they're doing good as of late

Mise en echec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 07:02 AM
Riverboat Gambler

That's not a bad line-up...

I like it. I'd worry about the 4th line in our zone.... but are depth has been decimated so much I don't know if we have the luxury of 4 solid lines.

We've had quite a boatload of adversity this year. It should bode well for next year when we can get to full compliment (whatever that might look like).

Riverboat Gambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 08:28 AM
GNick42

Double shift Kovalev on the Laps/Tender line also. Scotty use to do this with Guy quite often

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 08:51 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
No point in bringing him back here,leave him in Hamilton and next year he starts the year in Montreal

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 08:52 AM
tollb2

its early lol .. i was like .. so our centers are now all LW ?

Only change would be switch D'ags with kosto
I liked the play of Metro recently , wouldent mind seeing him above Plecs for the last 2

Wow that D looks so weak ... Never have i heard of a team loosing there 2 best D men right B4 playoffs .. in the same game ..

tollb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 09:08 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
MVP

vCash: 567
Considering Pacioretty was being ''rested'' for the playoffs in the last few Hamilton games because of ''bumps and bruises'', I don't know how much gas he has left in the tank.

Marc the Habs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 09:49 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Considering Pacioretty was being ''rested'' for the playoffs in the last few Hamilton games because of ''bumps and bruises'', I don't know how much gas he has left in the tank.
He can play, but Hamilton had already locked up a spot and they are locked into facing GR, no matter what happens, so I'm sure that also factored into him not playing. I personally wouldn't call him up, as Hamilton could do some damage in the playoffs (especially if they can find a way to beat the moose who imo are the top team in the AHL) and the Habs if they make the playoffs, without Markov it won't be pretty.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 11:02 AM
Jedrik

Quote:
Originally Posted by tollb2 View Post
its early lol .. i was like .. so our centers are now all LW ?
Same. Except for me it's like lunchtime. Double-help.

Jedrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 11:07 AM
BBrowser

Can Pacioretty play defense?

BBrowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 11:25 AM
AllCanadienFan

Quote:
I read somewhere he was being rested because he was just plain tired. Remember a year ago he was playing college hockey compared to the # of games and level of play this year.

AllCanadienFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 12:06 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
In that case, use Stewart as fourth line LW.

I think the two major tweaks I am suggesting are:
Move Dandenault back to defence over O`Byrne; play Andrei K on RW on the second scoring line.

This means moving Kosto to the checking RW spot.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 12:11 PM
shiftycanuck
Habby Habitants

let him have a long playoff in Hamilton, that team has sooo much depth, they have a good chance on a Calder Cup and I think Patches would benefit from the experience.

shiftycanuck is offline   Reply With Quote