HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

STH "Town Hall" Meeting Report

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-08-2009, 12:55 PM
  #176
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 109,890
vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Other than in Game 7, where there has been a significant advantage to home ice.
So if they are swept in the 1st round, are you going to say they've improved from last year?

You're also assuming there will be a Game 7 to be played, as well. I would rather have that game be at home, than the road, but you're citing one game of the series as being an advantage to the home team. I'm citing the whole series. Like when 10 or 12 years in a row a 7 seed beet a 2 seed. Or when the 8th seeded Oilers went to the Finals?

Quote:
And, more to the point, who the hell cares if you care about home ice? It's in an explicit sense a sign of improvement over last year.
The Flyers don't measure themselves their success in the regular season.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 12:56 PM
  #177
dr.rosenrosen
Registered User
 
dr.rosenrosen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: S.Philly
Posts: 227
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange and Black View Post
I guess its a good thing no one noticed the crack pipe in Randy Jones' locker
well i'm sure they put that and the gravity bong back into some closet or under steven's desk.

but i think you guys got it all wrong about the vodka. it was most likely hartnell playing a joke on richie by putting a bottle of vodka in his locker so it looked like he is a party animal. because i'm sure the organization wouldn't allow something like that to be out on the day they're bringing STH into the locker rooms. you mean to tell they didn't have some PR guy go through and make sure everything in the locker rooms was pretty close to being PC???

dr.rosenrosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 01:08 PM
  #178
Brophy
Registered User
 
Brophy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Redondo Beach
Country: United States
Posts: 600
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersJunky View Post
Here is a detailed report by a trusted source, IMO:

http://thesportsdiva.com/2009/04/08/...2009/#more-180


Her report from Luukko sounded not very promising, but her one from Homer sounded extremely promising for bringing him back.
thats a pretty damn good report.

Goalie situation looks pretty bland though, either thier holding out or they dont know what the hell to do.

Brophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 01:37 PM
  #179
CanadianFlyer88
Moderator
Knublin' PPs
 
CanadianFlyer88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Van City
Posts: 14,008
vCash: 955
Quote:
Asked (by me, at the behest of my friends at HockeyBuzz.com) about the dearth of goalie talent in the pipeline they were a bit put off. Pryor discussed the recent signing of Backlund and talked about there being a gap between Marty Biron, who is in his prime, and the younger developing goaltenders in the system, who are in their early 20s and not ready for prime time. But they said there really are very few teams well set up in the pipeline or really happy with an elite goaltender and they feel the Flyers are in good shape. Luce fined me $25 for asking that question.


Thanks for the link, FlyersJunky.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 02:47 PM
  #180
FlyHigh
Registered User
 
FlyHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,156
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kambo View Post
So you want to make an excuse that one bottle of vodka is the exact reason why the entire team isn't playing that good? Genius.
This is what pisses me off. You're totally misrepresenting my argument, don't act like you're 5 years-old and don't know how to read.

I'm saying that I don't like the attitude of the team, didn't like it before the vodka stuff, and I am not a huge fan of the guys bringing alcohol to work.

I never said it was the reason that they were playing badly.

Not trying to be harsh, but learn how to read or stay out of the argument.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 03:04 PM
  #181
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul
 
Sawdalite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Girouxsalem
Posts: 5,352
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brophy View Post
thats a pretty damn good report.

Goalie situation looks pretty bland though, either thier holding out or they dont know what the hell to do.
Yeah. My belief is that they want to see if Marty can again be a postseason force... and what he is asking for and willing to accept. I also think that Nitty will be back as a back up if he will sign for the same contract, and they don't have to pony up much more for their number one net minder.

All that said, if Marty doesn't live up to the money goalie tag, they seek a FA or trade and somehow make room in the cap for a high priced proven one if there's one available and better than Biron.

... But who knows? All I know is that the system has only Munroe signed, for all intents and purposes... and their fingers crossed.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 03:09 PM
  #182
Kambo
 
Kambo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Pennsauken, NJ
Country: Ireland
Posts: 5,357
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Kambo
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
This is what pisses me off. You're totally misrepresenting my argument, don't act like you're 5 years-old and don't know how to read.

I'm saying that I don't like the attitude of the team, didn't like it before the vodka stuff, and I am not a huge fan of the guys bringing alcohol to work.

I never said it was the reason that they were playing badly.

Not trying to be harsh, but learn how to read or stay out of the argument.
Not trying to be harsh, but your argument for arguments sake is ridiculous. Ok, so you don't like the attitude of the team, but you hear one thing that was most likely a joke, and completely overreact to it. You mentioned how the team has been playing badly, and the fact that there was a bottle of alcohol in the work place was even more disconcerting to you. You go on to link these two ideas together and sum it up that the team has a bad attitude. That right there is correlating the alcohol to the attitude ON and off the ice.

My response about their play and vodka was made in jest. It was a snide remark from my viewpoint trying to show how big of a deal the whole alcohol in the locker is to me. If you can't deal with sarcasm and opposing ideas, maybe I'm not the 5-year-old here. Maybe next time I'll have to use a .

Kambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 03:09 PM
  #183
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul
 
Sawdalite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Girouxsalem
Posts: 5,352
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post


Thanks for the link, FlyersJunky.
No problem, my friend... It was too good not to pass on, Bo is a real good source.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 03:15 PM
  #184
FlyHigh
Registered User
 
FlyHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,156
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kambo View Post
Not trying to be harsh, but your argument for arguments sake is ridiculous. Ok, so you don't like the attitude of the team, but you hear one thing that was most likely a joke, and completely overreact to it. You mentioned how the team has been playing badly, and the fact that there was a bottle of alcohol in the work place was even more disconcerting to you. You go on to link these two ideas together and sum it up that the team has a bad attitude. That right there is correlating the alcohol to the attitude ON and off the ice.

My response about their play and vodka was made in jest. It was a snide remark from my viewpoint trying to show how big of a deal the whole alcohol in the locker is to me. If you can't deal with sarcasm and opposing ideas, maybe I'm not the 5-year-old here.
...huh? You misrepresented my argument and then decided to add some astonishingly clever sarcasm.

How silly of me not to pick it up.

Anyways, I'm pretty sicked and tired of the team's attitude and you could say that the vodka bottle was the tipping point. But I've been watching the lack of effort night-in, night-out and it's pretty frustrating.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 03:57 PM
  #185
Opus
Registered User
 
Opus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Kingston
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,920
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
This is what pisses me off. You're totally misrepresenting my argument, don't act like you're 5 years-old and don't know how to read.

I'm saying that I don't like the attitude of the team, didn't like it before the vodka stuff, and I am not a huge fan of the guys bringing alcohol to work.

I never said it was the reason that they were playing badly.

Not trying to be harsh, but learn how to read or stay out of the argument.
Who said Richards brought the bottle to work?

Do you have a link or is this you and your wild idea?

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 05:04 PM
  #186
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,852
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
Is anybody going to change their username to...

Absolut Richards

Opus, I might have to ask CK and Jules to make me a new avy! My boy and my drink of choice, some days.

Billy, did you happen to notice what brand of vodka?

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 06:24 PM
  #187
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
So if they are swept in the 1st round, are you going to say they've improved from last year?
Yes, because we're a better team this year than we were last year. Playoff success is about a host of factors, none of which have anything to do with whether you improved over the year before.

We've won more and lost less than we did a year ago. Huge improvement? Nope, but this team is a better team than we were a year ago.

Quote:
You're also assuming there will be a Game 7 to be played, as well. I would rather have that game be at home, than the road, but you're citing one game of the series as being an advantage to the home team. I'm citing the whole series. Like when 10 or 12 years in a row a 7 seed beet a 2 seed. Or when the 8th seeded Oilers went to the Finals?
I'm assuming nothing, I was simply pointing out the factually incorrect nature of your statement that home ice was irrelevant. In Game 7s, the home ice factor has had a rather strong determining effect in the NHL.

As to the rest of your point. Find me one thing in life that is 100% other than the sun rising tomorrow.

Quote:
The Flyers don't measure themselves their success in the regular season.
Two years ago? Worst in the league.
Year ago? 6th in the East.
As of now? 4th in the East.

Flyers may not measure their success in the regular season, but you damn well can measure something in the regular season.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 06:32 PM
  #188
Opus
Registered User
 
Opus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Kingston
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,920
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Girl View Post
Opus, I might have to ask CK and Jules to make me a new avy! My boy and my drink of choice, some days.

Billy, did you happen to notice what brand of vodka?
Same pic as you have now, plus this...



18% MORE ABSOLUT CANNON



Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 06:53 PM
  #189
Caseys Kisses
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 995
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
Same pic as you have now, plus this...



18% MORE ABSOLUT CANNON


done
located in playoff thread

Caseys Kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 07:33 PM
  #190
BillyShoe1721
Terriers
 
BillyShoe1721's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 16,685
vCash: 8400
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Girl View Post
Opus, I might have to ask CK and Jules to make me a new avy! My boy and my drink of choice, some days.

Billy, did you happen to notice what brand of vodka?
I didn't particularly see, but the shape of it was exactly like a bottle of Grey Goose, but it wasn't Grey Goose. It looked it had some blue or black writing on it.

BillyShoe1721 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 08:17 PM
  #191
UseYourAllusion
Registered User
 
UseYourAllusion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Philly
Country: United States
Posts: 6,873
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
I didn't particularly see, but the shape of it was exactly like a bottle of Grey Goose, but it wasn't Grey Goose. It looked it had some blue or black writing on it.


Belvedere?

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 08:51 PM
  #192
Clown Baby
Registered User
 
Clown Baby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,541
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UseYourAllusion View Post


Belvedere?
MR Belvedere?

Clown Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 08:53 PM
  #193
BillyShoe1721
Terriers
 
BillyShoe1721's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 16,685
vCash: 8400
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
I don't think so, it didn't have that much on the bottle itself, just some writing.

BillyShoe1721 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 08:59 PM
  #194
ForsbergIsOdin
Registered User
 
ForsbergIsOdin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Asgaard
Country: Sweden
Posts: 8,391
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
Svedka?

ForsbergIsOdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 09:03 PM
  #195
UseYourAllusion
Registered User
 
UseYourAllusion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Philly
Country: United States
Posts: 6,873
vCash: 500
Id imagine these guys are spending more than that.

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 09:10 PM
  #196
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 109,890
vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Yes, because we're a better team this year than we were last year. Playoff success is about a host of factors, none of which have anything to do with whether you improved over the year before.

We've won more and lost less than we did a year ago. Huge improvement? Nope, but this team is a better team than we were a year ago.
If the Flyers lose their last 3 games, they will have 1 more win than they had last year. How much of an improvement is that? Especially when 4-8th may be separated by no more than 4 points.


Quote:
I'm assuming nothing, I was simply pointing out the factually incorrect nature of your statement that home ice was irrelevant. In Game 7s, the home ice factor has had a rather strong determining effect in the NHL.
Just look at results basically since the last time the Flyers went to the finals. 2006, out west, the 5, 6, 7 & 8 seeds won in round 1, and then it was the 6 v. 8 in the conference finals. You can have Game 7, I'll take the first 6 games considering more series end in 5 and 6 games than 7. How many years did the 4 seed find themselves with home ice in round 2 in the east? It's not nearly the factor as people claim it is over the course of a whole series, not just the last one. They've won more than they lost, probably, but it's not like what it means in the NBA where it seems that 9 out of 10 teams with home court end up winning.

Quote:
As to the rest of your point. Find me one thing in life that is 100% other than the sun rising tomorrow.
Taxes?

Quote:

Two years ago? Worst in the league.
Year ago? 6th in the East.
As of now? 4th in the East.

Flyers may not measure their success in the regular season, but you damn well can measure something in the regular season.
All that is true, but at the end of the day, if they don't get as far as they did last year, last year will have been more of a success. If they go out in round 1, no one is going to care if they finished 4th, 1st or 8th.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 10:11 PM
  #197
flountown
Registered User
 
flountown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 1,355
vCash: 500
Frankly, I am a little disappointed it wasn't a better drink such as a good bourbon, scotch or whiskey.

Also for those who are so shocked at the drinking at an office, I can only hope you never set foot in a trendy .com style business or comp tech company. I have friends who've worked for Microsoft, Google, and Yahoo and all of them tell me that if you aren't drinking at company sponsored events throughout the week then you're in the minority.

Could it have been this brand, Level Vodka?

flountown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 10:23 PM
  #198
UseYourAllusion
Registered User
 
UseYourAllusion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Philly
Country: United States
Posts: 6,873
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flountown View Post
Frankly, I am a little disappointed it wasn't a better drink such as a good bourbon, scotch or whiskey.
Agreed

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 02:27 PM
  #199
dbr2
Lockout Beard
 
dbr2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,340
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Should of been
Vat 69

That was a "Band of Brothers" reference by the way.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:33 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.