HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will Sydor Be Re-Signed?

View Poll Results: Will Sydor Be Re-Signed?
Yes 12 52.17%
No 11 47.83%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-28-2009, 06:00 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 811
Will Sydor Be Re-Signed?

Time for another vote.

There seems to be a sentiment among some that his retention is inevitable.

Personally, I think they're just so upset by the idea that they're cushioning the mental blow by treating it as a foregone conclusion.

This is not what you want to happen, just what you think will happen.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2009, 06:05 PM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

vCash: 500
I don't think anyone wants him back.
Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

DaStars99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2009, 06:10 PM
Chad_

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued1457 View Post
There seems to be a sentiment among some that his retention is inevitable.

Personally, I think they're just so upset by the idea that they're cushioning the mental blow by treating it as a foregone conclusion.
Since this poll was put up less than 30 minutes after I wrote Sydor will be a Dallas Star next season, I can assume my written words had at least some impact on the poll. In that case, allow me to explain.

First off, the team shouldn't re-sign Sydor unless it's for meager wages with the explicit direction he'll sit more than he'll play and he's expected to be more of a coach than a player. This also assumes the team doesn't go out and sign a UFA d-man, which I'm certain they would if they don't go the Sydor route.

When Sydor left the Stars nearly two years ago, we were treated to at minimum a small protest over the team not re-signing him from fans of the team. Modano, for one, was up in arms on the player side. Not re-signing Sydor was an indication for a few Armstrong needed to go. Now we can debate whether or not Armstrong was a good GM, but his decision not to re-sign Sydor was a good one.

There's a question as to whether or not Hull will be retained as a Co-GM (see Hicks' latest comments indicating he doesn't know if the two-headed GM duty will continue past this season), so we must use Jackson's comments on Sydor as a true test to the current Co-GMs mindset. In that respect, there has been nothing but pure admiration for Sydor from Jackson, and while we shouldn't expect Jackson to dump on him, it would be prudent to believe Jackson would temper his thoughts of Sydor if he thought the Stars were better off without him.

Tippett has sung Sydor's praises and gone out of his way to tell the press Sydor has made some huge difference between a below .500 team to a team that sits one game above .500. Good going, Tippett! Niskanen has done the same. Modano has done the same.

With all this high praise levied upon Sydor, regardless if it's warranted or not, is there really any question he'll end up back in Dallas unless he retires? And on that last note, does anyone actually believe Sydor would retire at the age of 37 (he'll be 37 in May)? I don't.

He'll be a Dallas Star until he retires, be it from a horrible injury that I, for one, hope doesn't happen or due to other reasons (personal, age, desire, etc.).

ADDED: I should add on my reasoning why he won't retire. While 37 isn't a prime age for playing hockey, Sydor has received nothing but admiration from everyone involved within the Dallas Stars organization, leading him to believe he can still play the game at a high or high enough level to continue to do so. There are also plenty of older d-men still in the NHL, playing on teams that are at least counted upon to make the playoffs, some of whom aren't considered to be strong or semi-strong leaders either. Besides, my projected one-year, $1.5 million contract he'll be offered is simply too good to pass up.

Last edited by Chad_: 03-28-2009 at 06:50 PM.
Chad_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2009, 06:22 PM
inky

Yes, unfortunately for every reason Chad said. More money down the drain : (
We all know the Stars are ran like a country club.

inky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2009, 06:43 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
I don't think so.

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2009, 08:01 PM
Captain Awesome

I voted no, but Chad has as solid as a case as anyone is going to get I think.

I will be furious if they re-sign Sydor with the intention of him being in the top 6. He is a 7th D at best, and even then I'd be nervous as hell if he was our depth. He can run his big mouth without hurting the team that way at least. If they seriously waste 1.5 mil on him, that'd be horrendous.

Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2009, 09:27 PM
Chad_

Can I indulge one of Modo or Silent Bob to explain why they don't think Sydor will be on the team next season, keeping in mind this isn't what they want but rather what they think the team will do? I'm curious to read either's reasoning, and it might give me hope.

Old
03-28-2009, 09:38 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Don't re-sign Sydor. He can hang out with Barnes in the equipment room.
Assume Zubov retires

Two top 6 slots.

Bouwmeester or other #1ish D-man. Failing that get any 'good' veteran D-man.
Call up Vishy or use our newly acquired? (drafted) D-man to fill the hole.

If this doesn't happen... well... I'm all for player loyalty but you still have to remember, this is a business and fans don't want to not see stars and see boneheaded mistakes and brain farts.

Frozen Failure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2009, 10:14 PM
Captain Awesome

Well, for me it's a couple things. One being that he just isn't any good, and I hope that not everyone on the Stars is blind to that. Secondly, is there really much room for him? If Zubov was back he'd be pushed out, they wouldn't dare scratch Nisky, Fistric, or Grossman. They wouldn't dare trade away Robidas or Daley for him.

Also, with how bad Sydor is, Vishnevskiy could provide some of the same atrocious defending along with some offense, if they so choose.

Also, if they go after an FA D-man he'll really get pushed out. Bouwmeester or Sydor? Pretty easy decision even to the idiots who revere him.

My point is, a lot of my 'no' is hoping, and some of it is thinking that we can't be insane. He really is that bad, and someone in the organization has to see it. I don't care if they're buddies, this is a business and you have to kick out the guys that aren't any good. Hicks isn't a hands on guy, but let's hope that in this case he'd make an exception.

I'm gonna go ahead and conceded to you that your case is really solid, and despite the lack of logic this year, logic dictates that there's no room for Sydor on this roster unless we're torn up again.

Old
03-28-2009, 10:28 PM
Chad_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Bob View Post
Secondly, is there really much room for him? If Zubov was back he'd be pushed out, they wouldn't dare scratch Nisky, Fistric, or Grossman. They wouldn't dare trade away Robidas or Daley for him.
Thank you for taking the time. The above is, I think, a solid point. However, I do think Tippett would scratch Fistric in a heartbeat in favor of Sydor. I think he'd scratch Niskanen in favor of Sydor.

In the interest of more discussion, what impact does this year's injury situation come into play into the decision? Would it not make sense the Stars would hold onto Sydor because he is, if nothing else, a healthy and experienced body? No, I don't mean in terms of talent or what we may want, but rather from the vantage point of the front office.

Coming off a normal year (read: reasonably healthy) with a certainty Zubov would both be playing next season and be healthy (don't underestimate the surgery Zubov had either), there wouldn't be room for Sydor without shipping a player out, which isn't something I think they are prepared to do unless it entails a sizable shakeup of the roster (i.e. Turco, Richards/Ribeiro, any winger, etc.). But what about after this season when the entire organization thought this team was Cup bound, including Hicks based on comments he made just this past week, yet was derailed largely by injuries?

Old
03-28-2009, 10:30 PM
Captain Awesome

Yeah I think that's a big X factor too. they might have a hoarding mentality just because they'll think they need the depth to go into next season so they don't get derailed by injuries.

Old
04-03-2009, 08:38 PM
ScubaSteve*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_ View Post
Tippett has sung Sydor's praises and gone out of his way to tell the press Sydor has made some huge difference between a below .500 team to a team that sits one game above .500. Good going, Tippett! Niskanen has done the same. Modano has done the same.
Niskanen has been cleaning up after Sydor's mistakes for most of this season, not the other way around.

ScubaSteve* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 09:19 PM
Chad_

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
Niskanen has been cleaning up after Sydor's mistakes for most of this season, not the other way around.
Not only did I write nothing regarding either player cleaning up after the other, you need to tell Tippett that, not me. Or did you not recognize that entire argument was for why I think the Stars organization will retain Sydor rather than my own personal opinion on whether they should? That is, after all, what the poll question asked.

Last edited by Chad_: 04-03-2009 at 09:26 PM.
Old
04-03-2009, 10:03 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Down with Sydor.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 11:20 PM
ScubaSteve*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_ View Post
Not only did I write nothing regarding either player cleaning up after the other, you need to tell Tippett that, not me. Or did you not recognize that entire argument was for why I think the Stars organization will retain Sydor rather than my own personal opinion on whether they should? That is, after all, what the poll question asked.
You point about Niskanen wasn't even a complete sentence so I kind of had to infer what you were trying to say.

ScubaSteve* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2009, 11:23 PM
starsfan4ever

Quote:
You point about Niskanen wasn't even a complete sentence so I kind of had to infer what you were trying to say.
Do you mean your?

starsfan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2009, 12:17 AM
Chad_

Quote:
It was a complete sentence, but that's secondary and I'm not about to get into a grammatical debate with someone whose top rebuttal to one's point is to demean another's intelligence. How you infer anything I wrote previously and you quoted into either Niskanen or Sydor cleaning up after the other is beyond me. Care to explain your reasoning or would you rather find a misplaced comma on my part?

Old
04-08-2009, 02:03 PM
haf

I voted no though I am not as harsh a critic of Sydor as many on here. I think he is bad when his feet get exposed and pretty good when he is lifting stick in the slot or circles.

I also think he was brought in because a) Boucher wasn't in our long term plans b) Boucher had become injury prone (again) c) Sydor is like a coach on the ice, Kevin Costner in Bull Durham, here to groom. Which he has done.

Niskanen was a t r o c i o u s to start the year. Sydor got him calmed down and has been helping the kids along I feel.

I don't think they re-sign him because we are close to a logjam at defenseman as it is. If we make a blockbuster trade and get a number one defenseman, and he becomes our six, that would be ok with me, but I would rather see Vishnevsky and/or Hutchinson on the ice.

haf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 03:02 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by haf View Post
Niskanen was a t r o c i o u s to start the year. Sydor got him calmed down and has been helping the kids along I feel.
He can do that off the ice. Not on it.

Down with Sydor!

Stars99Lobo37 is online now   Reply With Quote