HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why/How did you become a fan of The Habs

Old
04-08-2009, 04:58 AM
bentheprop

vCash: 500
I grew up in a family that didn't watch sports but I developed an interest in hockey when I started going to school. Since this was mid/late 70's and Montreal was busy dominating the decade, the Habs became the team I cheered for and Guy Lafleur became my favorite player.

bentheprop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 06:31 AM
timbitca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated R Superstar View Post
My 6th grade teacher was a big fan and he made us listen to Michel Therrien's post game press conference where Mclaren elbowed Zednik.He taught us a lesson about unecessary violence and how the habs should only concentrate about getting revenge by winning the series. He seized the moment to point out several grammatical errors also. I still remember that day, it was awesome. We also took a couple of hours to watch team Canada's olympic games.

Before that, I occasionally watched the habs, but I wasn't a big fan. I grew up a baseball fan actually.
Only memory I have of watching/listening to hockey in school was the WJHC finals in which Fleury ****ed up. I was listening to the broadcast on radio in class and I remember the stupid feed cutting out just after Fleury tried clearing the puck and it ending up in his own net. Then the feed only came back in time for me to hear 'And the USA wins the gold medal!' Bah. I was in a daze for most of the rest of that day.

Last edited by timbitca: 04-08-2009 at 06:39 AM.
timbitca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 06:36 AM
JrHockeyFan

I grew up in the original 6 era. When I was in elementary school almost everbody had to have Gordie Howe sweaters or cards or hockey coins or magazine photos etc etc.

So while everybody was rooting for the Wings or the Leafs, I found myself liking neither team. The Rangers and Bruins just weren't good at all, but even they had fans in the area. Meanwhile the Habs had style and speed. Despite huge peer pressure I rooted for them. Not easy to do in southern Ontario at the time

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 06:54 AM
Tusk

Daddy drank.

Tusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 07:07 AM
HABitual

During the 1992-93 season (), my francophone brother-in-law (I'm anglophone) got me interested in the Habs. I thought it was logical to follow the NHL's most successful team. Too bad they haven't had much success since then.

HABitual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 07:22 AM
kent_carlson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
I really liked Don Cherry's awe inspiring and open minded Coach's corner. He is such a sunny person and so loving of all people....a true advocate for diversity.
Fixed it for you

kent_carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 07:53 AM
PopeLarry2

For me it was easy. I started collecting hockey cards in grade 7, with no favorite team, I just like collecting goalie cards. In grade 10 I read Ken Dryden's "The Game" that was it, I became a die-hard fan after that. I now have a large collection of Habs books.

I watched and followed them since, even during the bad years. I actually cheer for the Leafs to miss the playoffs so that CBC will broadcast the Habs games. This year I broke down and subscribed to RDS online to watch the games.

PopeLarry2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 08:55 AM
Mustafa*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KadrüH View Post
Born in Ile-Perrot, right beside the Montreal island.
Dans un motel de l'Ile Perrot? Are you the son of Michel Rivard?

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 08:59 AM
tollb2

Great Grandpa(Bruins fan) --> Grandpa(habs fan) ---> Dad (habs fan) ---> moi (habs fan) ----> my son (habs fan)

tollb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 09:04 AM
That Habs Fan
True Contenders.

vCash: 400
my dad immigrated to toronto in the 70s, was mesmerized by the habs' teams of those years and became a fan (clearly he had cajones, seeing as how he was new to T.O.!)

my dad and i have very little in common other than our undying love for the habs, which we shared in front of th TV as often as possible, including the 93 win

i came out of the womb in a habs jersey pretty much

That Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 09:06 AM
RE-HABS

I was born into it, I was brainwashed by my Dad with everything I owned in regards to playing with and wearing related to the Habs...even my jersey number in hockey was #9 for the Rocket!

Now I am doing the same with my two boys and wouldn't have it any other way....to think how bad life could have been if my Dad was a Leafs fan?!?!?!

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 01:39 PM
TinordiandSubban

I grew up on the East Coast with the Habs on most Saturday nights and I can clearly recall fighting back tears one night because the Leafs were on instead. At that time it was horrible teams at the hideous Gardens with that shrivelled vulture Ballard sitting in his box sneering at the fans.

sniff I dont wanna watch the Leafs sniff sniff

Contrast that with the elegant CH in the beautiful Forum, Lafleur flying down the ice and that lady that always sat behind the Montreal bench with nice legs that fit into the top of the frame.
I was old enough to stay awake into overtimes when Roo-ah had that crazy game at MSG and Skrudland scored nine seconds in.
Gainey lifting the Cup began the legend that lives on today.
He will lift the Cup again.

InBobwetrust

TinordiandSubban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 01:42 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbitca View Post
Only memory I have of watching/listening to hockey in school was the WJHC finals in which Fleury ****ed up. I was listening to the broadcast on radio in class and I remember the stupid feed cutting out just after Fleury tried clearing the puck and it ending up in his own net. Then the feed only came back in time for me to hear 'And the USA wins the gold medal!' Bah. I was in a daze for most of the rest of that day.
I still remember that goal...I didn't understand anything in life for at least 5 minutes. I actually couldn't sleep that night... so imagine M-A Fleury. Yikes.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 01:55 PM
Athlétique_Canadien

Born in 1973. Father and 3 older brothers = diehard Habs fans. Posters and items were to be found throughout the house. When I was old enough to understand conversing I would hear how the Canadiens beat the Russians from my bros. This is an interesting twist becasue sometimes they were talking about the Summit Series in 1972 and I interpreted "Canadiens" as being "Canadians". Other times my brothers might mention the 1975 New Years clash between the Canadiens and Tikhanov's Russians. Between the 2 subjects of 1972 (Canada) and the 1976 (Habs), I at a very young age thought they were one in the same. To me the Montreal Canadiens and Team Canada was the same team. I was 5 so give me a break for being naive eh?

I started watching or started sneaking out of bed to watch the Habs in 1979-80. I didn't know the Leafs even existed until 1981.

Anyway, not only was I brainwashed or raised that way. It was greater than being brainwashed. To actually believe as a kid that the Canadiens beat the Russians or was Team Canada was all I needed to solidify my love.

Athlétique_Canadien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 02:18 PM
sukimono

Born and raised in Québec city. Was a hardcore nordiques fan growing up. In primary school whenever we saw a kid with a habs shirt or cap... man was he in danger, lol. I have great memories of the '94-'95 season (i was twelve then)... geez i must have been to at least 10 games at the colisée on this year, those were the days! (and tickets were very affordable!!!!) The players would sign us autographs before the games, chit chat with us a little bit... the proximity with the players was great. We would freeze our as*es and wait in the cold just to see the Forsberg's sakic's and Sundin's arrival. I really miss that time. It took me many years to swallow the fact that they were gone for good, and to be able to enjoy watching hockey again. I'd say i became a *true* canadiens fan around '01-'02. I moved near Montreal 4 years ago.

sukimono is offline   Reply With Quote