HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Washington - Toronto

Old
04-08-2009, 10:30 AM
grabo84

vCash: 500
Washington - Toronto

I've been sort of kicking this over in my head for a while.

To Toronto:

Tomas Fleischmann, Rights to Shaone Morrisonn

To Washington:

Pavel Kubina

Fleischmann's a guy whose shown some talent this year, but has had some trouble with consistency. I don't know what role McPhee sees for him in Washington, but there's no doubt that he's getting pushed by players like Fehr for ice time. Morrisonn is in a similar position, in that he'll probably be looking for a raise as an RFA, but is at risk of being the victim of a numbers game in Washington, with Alzner needing room on the blueline next year.

For Toronto, Kubina has taken a central role on our blueline this year, and his loss would no doubt hurt. Still, Fleischmann adds some scoring talent onto our wings in the top six, and he has the potential to really take advantage of the increased opportunity he'd get in Toronto. Morrisonn is still young, and would provide some gritty play on the back end to make up for Kubina's absence.

Washington gets a top flight defenceman to help anchor their D next year. Kubina doesn't get hyped as much as Tomas Kaberle, but he has a serious impact on the game, and has put up career years the past two seasons. He plays a fairly physical game, and has a bomb from the point (not that the Caps need more help on the PP). Their cap situation would likely be fine, as the difference between Morrisonn's likely 2.5-3 mil contract and Kubina's 5 mil deal would be made up by Fedorov or Kozlov likely taking smaller contracts next year, and Alzner slotting in on an entry level deal.

Last edited by grabo84: 04-08-2009 at 10:36 AM.
grabo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 10:34 AM
SLAPSHOT723
Officer Clutterbuck

That's not a bad proposal at all IMO.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 10:48 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

I'd do it in a second.

edit: that doesn't mean I think the trade it too lopsided. Flash is nearly a 20g scorer and should be even higher next season. Mo is solid but will be redundant with Alzner. Its good assets that the Caps would give up and Flash has a very Cap friendly contract. But its up after next season and Backstrom and Semin will be the one's getting the first money that year from the Caps.

Last edited by HSHS: 04-08-2009 at 10:53 AM.
HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 10:54 AM
ugotmybeef*

isn't washington at cap max.

ugotmybeef* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 11:00 AM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ugotmybeef View Post
isn't washington at cap max.
This would put them at about 48 mil next year, with at least 7 regulars being FA's, depending on who you count as a regular. Most are young players due for a raise. This trade probably doesn't work unless you throw in Poti for like... Mitchell or something. But I don't think many Leafs fans would be too keen on that.

wubwubwubwub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 11:07 AM
txpd

Washington is capped out this season. Next would/could be a different story. The Caps have Federov's $4m deal and Kozlov's $2.5m deal expiring. They have Nylander to trade which would be easier in the off season.

Moving Nylander along would open up cap space for a Kubina line contract. My guess is the Federov resigns at 60-70% of that base salary with a bonus structure to achieve his $4m if he plays 80 games. Morrisonn and Fleischmann's salary would come off the books.

There are many ways for the Caps to fit in Kubina. Personally, I think its Pronger that McPhee wants. But Kubina has won a cup. The only other issue is that he makes as much as Mike Green does and I am not sure how that fits into the Capitals salary structure.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 11:26 AM
Ace88*

I dont think id do it. At this point i honestly believe Kubina brings more to our team's table than Flash and Morrisonn would. We already have a Fleischmann imo, his name is Grabovski, and switching out Kubs for Morrisonn could really end up biting us in the ass.

if i was Washington id start packing Flash and Morrisonn's bags, but if im Burke Kubina is about as movable at this point as Schenn. No dice for me.

Ace88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 11:27 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

I think I'd do it if we could move Nylander. I definitely see Mo gone, although I envision it as part of a draft pick deal.

I don't know if I'd be too comfortable moving Fleischmann if we're stuck with Nylander (might need the cheap production), but then that all depends on what Fehr gets paid as well I suppose.

Good deal IMO.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 11:34 AM
burke4life

i love Pavel too much to let him go

burke4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 11:36 AM
javier

If anything the Leafs should be trying to sign Kubina to an extension. If they cant get him to agree to a new deal, then maybe.

javier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 11:44 AM
Monstar50

Rather trade Kaberle for more, than sign Kunina to a three year contract. Also, would the Caps want Kaberle? He would be great on the PP with Green.

Monstar50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 12:20 PM
kihei

vCash: 0
Kubina is looking more and more like a piece of the puzzle, at least in the short term, and Kaberle is looking more and more expendable (and he fetches a higher return), so I don't think the Leafs do this, though it is not an unreasonable proposal. Decent offer, just a case of "no, thanks."

kihei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 02:18 PM
Kencaid

i like the trade from to's side as that would give us *more $ to play with* to get j-bo (lol) and give us some more youth but is there any way we could work in a pick in TO's direction for one of our roster players?

I notice that kozlov's contract is up, and i was thinking would one our centers interest any caps fans? I was thinking throwing stajan in the mix to replace kozlov in your line up (2 way playmaking defensemen, young, and costs 1.75M, and his conract only has 1 more year on it), possibly saving some cap space on having to sign a replacement body, or resign kozlov. But what pick would be reasonable in return?? Stajan is young and skilled, and has had a break out year this season with over 50pts. I was thinking a 3rd and 5th? or something along those lines?? Any input on how much caps fans value their draft picks would be nice.

Last edited by Kencaid: 04-08-2009 at 03:42 PM.
Kencaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 02:22 PM
AlMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by grabo84 View Post

To Toronto:

To Washington:

Pavel Kubina

Fleischmann's a guy whose shown some talent this year, but has had some trouble with consistency. I don't know what role McPhee sees for him in Washington, but there's no doubt that he's getting pushed by players like Fehr for ice time. Morrisonn is in a similar position, in that he'll probably be looking for a raise as an RFA, but is at risk of being the victim of a numbers game in Washington, with Alzner needing room on the blueline next year.

For Toronto, Kubina has taken a central role on our blueline this year, and his loss would no doubt hurt. Still, Fleischmann adds some scoring talent onto our wings in the top six, and he has the potential to really take advantage of the increased opportunity he'd get in Toronto. Morrisonn is still young, and would provide some gritty play on the back end to make up for Kubina's absence.

Washington gets a top flight defenceman to help anchor their D next year. Kubina doesn't get hyped as much as Tomas Kaberle, but he has a serious impact on the game, and has put up career years the past two seasons. He plays a fairly physical game, and has a bomb from the point (not that the Caps need more help on the PP). Their cap situation would likely be fine, as the difference between Morrisonn's likely 2.5-3 mil contract and Kubina's 5 mil deal would be made up by Fedorov or Kozlov likely taking smaller contracts next year, and Alzner slotting in on an entry level deal.
Nah.....value wise it's there but I would look elsewhere before I think about this deal. I would love to use Kubina as bait to land another 1st round pick at the draft.

AlMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 02:24 PM
AlMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kencaid View Post
i like the trade from to's side as that would give us 5M more to get j-bo (lol) and give us some more youth but is there any way we could work in a pick in TO's direction for one of our roster players?

I notice that kozlov's contract is up, and i was thinking would one our centers interest any caps fans? I was thinking throwing stajan in the mix to replace kozlov in your line up (2 way playmaking defensemen, young, and costs 1.75M, and his conract only has 1 more year on it), possibly saving some cap space on having to sign a replacement body, or resign kozlov. But what pick would be reasonable in return?? Stajan is young and skilled, and has had a break out year this season with over 50pts. I was thinking a 3rd and 5th? or something along those lines?? Any input on how much caps fans value their draft picks would be nice.
How do you get $5M more to get Bouw? Did you forget that Morrison and Fleischmann don't play for free? Morrison is an RFA and will likely get about 2.5 million per and Fleischmann get .75M so thats approx 3.25M. Technically the Leafs would have an extra 1.75M to play with.

AlMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 02:28 PM
broad

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlMo View Post
How do you get $5M more to get Bouw? Did you forget that Morrison and Fleischmann don't play for free? Morrison is an RFA and will likely get about 2.5 million per and Fleischmann get .75M so thats approx 3.25M. Technically the Leafs would have an extra 1.75M to play with.
The trade would give you 2.25 million to play with, at least. Fleischmann and Morrisson take up two roster spots, Kubina only one.

broad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 02:40 PM
The Big Swede

Its fair value wise but I would look for other options...

The Big Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 03:01 PM
Isles_Guy*

Send a message via Yahoo to Isles_Guy*
I think its a great trade it adds solid youth with upside as well as cap space that can be used better for the long term Kubina as well as Kaberle will not be a core piece when the leafs are ready to win... they will be at best a veteran influence. At this time the team needs to acquire the core of its future

Isles_Guy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 03:41 PM
Kencaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlMo View Post
ya, thanks for pointing that out for me, i just wasnt paying attention.

ill fix it

Kencaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 04:10 PM
sda

Quote:
Originally Posted by grabo84 View Post

To Toronto:

To Washington:

Pavel Kubina

I don't see the logic of trading for two players who you say seem to be squeezed for icetime. If we are going to improve you need top end players not average guys fighting to hold onto their jobs. Morrisonn and Fleischmann aren't upgrades on players the Leafs already have

sda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 04:22 PM
Isles_Guy*

Send a message via Yahoo to Isles_Guy*
Quote:
Originally Posted by sda View Post
I don't see the logic of trading for two players who you say seem to be squeezed for icetime. If we are going to improve you need top end players not average guys fighting to hold onto their jobs. Morrisonn and Fleischmann aren't upgrades on players the Leafs already have
the value is that they need the opportunity to play. in washington they have proven commodities ahead of them so they get less opportunity. Burke's task is building a core of young players with upside. I think grabo's proposal does that rather well Your not getting a Tavaras or Hedman for Kubina no matter how hard you pray for it

Isles_Guy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 04:27 PM
embracedbias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcrew View Post
This would put them at about 48 mil next year, with at least 7 regulars being FA's, depending on who you count as a regular. Most are young players due for a raise. This trade probably doesn't work unless you throw in Poti for like... Mitchell or something. But I don't think many Leafs fans would be too keen on that.
Nope. Nor would Burke.

embracedbias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 04:30 PM
grabo84

Quote:
Originally Posted by sda View Post
Well, the easy answer is that players like that are cheaper to acquire. Lots of established stars were acquired out of a similar situation - Marc Savard and Markus Naslund are good examples of that.

grabo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 06:03 PM
Nunymare
Rinse, repeat

Send a message via MSN to Nunymare
Not bad.

I'd do it.

Nunymare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 06:07 PM