HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dynamo Moscow signs Omark and Harju

Old
04-08-2009, 02:10 PM
jadeddog

vCash: 500
look, i've never been a big fan of omarks (as i don't think his size will allow him to be effective in the NHL), but not offering the max of 875k is simply laughable when you have a guy like liam freaking reddox in your lineup on a regular basis

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 02:14 PM
Louiss

KHL is way better than the AHL for money & hockey thats 100% sure.

However, what's outside the rinks is.... not worth the risk imo

Louiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 02:15 PM
Heavy Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
nopers, hes not.... he goes back into the draft this summer
did u read teh posts regarding the 'defector status'? not sure how you can be so sure...

Heavy Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 02:19 PM
Freudian slips

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemskyfan83 View Post
I like what Jonathan Willis said over on OilersNation.com

http://www.oilersnation.com/2009/04/...nd-for-russia/

He also mentions the Desjardins numbers for Omark based on his productions this year:
Omark: 82GP – 28G – 39A – 67PTS

I would have been very surprised if he had performed this well, but nonetheless it gives you some idea what one could hope from him.

I would like to note that the bolded line there doesn't exactly make sense to me. You do need fourth line players that can muck it up. And for half the year JDD was our backup. For the other half we would've lost him on waivers.

Nonetheless this is a mistake by Steve Tambellini. We could have easily afforded to pay him the max for an entry level deal. If he reaches the bonuses then great it means he played well.
If I was smarter I would have expressed this myself....perfect summation - I get bent outta shape when we, as oiler fans, blame the player first as opposed to blaming the organization for making, potentially yet again, a brutal asset management mistake.

I dont think its unreasonable for Omark to take the money and explore his options. I dont blame him, I blame society.

Freudian slips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 02:19 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Dee View Post
did u read teh posts regarding the 'defector status'? not sure how you can be so sure...
actually, i hadn't read that far into the thread when i posted the reply.... its not exactly a "for sure" thing that he will have a permanent "defector status" though either, it was just some newspaper article claiming this.... i'd like to hear one of the oilers management talk about this situation obviously

but even if he does have the defector status, he won't be signing with us after his KHL contract is over.... he is obviously very insulted by the oilers offer, so why would he choose the oilers when/if he wants to come over to the NHL? i think it should be pretty clear that he would rather sign with team other than the oilers

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 02:20 PM
Digger12

Of all the things I've read in this rather large thread, this is the one thing that truly angered me:

"Edmonton has said that they have enough small players, that there's nothing wrong with me, but that Im small. That doesnt feel that nice to hear, so it's not just about the money. I want to be in the NHL, not in the AHL."
-Omark

You would've thought the Oilers would have learned from the disaster of their 2003 draft, where they passed on Parise because of these exact same sentiments that they relayed to Omark.

5 years later, and they haven't learned a thing.

IMO the Oilers come across as pack of bumbling idiots. After tantalizing the fanbase with videos of him on their own bloody website, after Kevin Lowe gushing about his talents on HNIC After Hours for a national audience, after Tambellini gushing about him on the radio, now the Oilers fail to sign him after all that buildup??

He may never amount to much, but there's no denying he was one of the few pieces of good news we've had this year on the prospect front. And now he's gone, because the Oilers have this fixation on draft position dictating what a player's potential will be.

If Omark had been a first or 2nd round pick and had the exact same career progression as he's shown so far, there's no doubt in my mind that the Oilers would've signed him, or at the very least offered him the max deal they could under the current CBA...but because he was a 4th round pick, we get the "we have a lot of small guys" speech. Never mind that we have no idea how many of our current <6' tall group will even be on the roster 2 years from now.

Oh well, on to the next circus act.

Digger12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Freudian slips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12 View Post
Of all the things I've read in this rather large thread, this is the one thing that truly angered me:

"Edmonton has said that they have enough small players, that there's nothing wrong with me, but that Im small. That doesnt feel that nice to hear, so it's not just about the money. I want to be in the NHL, not in the AHL."
-Omark

You would've thought the Oilers would have learned from the disaster of their 2003 draft, where they passed on Parise because of these exact same sentiments that they relayed to Omark.

IMO the Oilers come across as pack of bumbling idiots. After tantalizing the fanbase with videos of him on their own bloody website, after Kevin Lowe gushing about his talents on HNIC After Hours for a national audience, after Tambellini gushing about him on the radio, now the Oilers fail to sign him after all that buildup??

He may never amount to much, but there's no denying he was one of the few pieces of good news we've had this year on the prospect front. And now he's gone, because the Oilers have this fixation on draft position dictating what a player's potential will be.

If Omark had been a first or 2nd round pick and had the exact same career progression as he's shown so far, there's no doubt in my mind that the Oilers would've signed him, or at the very least offered him the max deal they could under the current CBA...but because he was a 4th round pick, we get the "we have a lot of small guys" speech. Never mind that we have no idea how many of our current <6' tall group will even be on the roster 2 years from now.

word!

Freudian slips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

Not signing Omark because he is too small is more proof MacT will be back.

MacT has preached all year its hard to win when you are small up front.

Valic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 02:31 PM
speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb View Post
IMO this is a negotiating ploy -there was no need for Omark to sign this early in the summer. My bet is the Oilers cave in like they did on Comrie and if he's demoted from the NHL he'll go to Russia instead of the AHL.
Makes as much sense as anything else, and works fairly well for everyone involved (except Dynamo, I guess).

speeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 02:35 PM
anjoo

Send a message via MSN to anjoo
this guy is a good player with players in his size range.. but in the NHL... there's no way he can drive to the net like he had this season in Sweden. He'll bei n the NHL sooner or later but for what he was asking, I'm glad the Oilers pass up on him,

anjoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 02:35 PM
Seachd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian slips View Post
From a respected poster such as yourself, your logic is truly gargbage. IF he is good enough to crack the NHL he will get there...playing in Moscow for a year doesnt preclude that.
You're thinking way too much like a fan and not enough like an NHL executive.

And if he's good enough to play in the NHL, he's likely just going to have to go through entry-level restrictions anyway. All he's doing is putting that off. And missing out on a year or two of NHL experience.

But since you're not the "blind" one, you wouldn't have missed that, would you?

Seachd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 02:37 PM
Seachd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
but even if he does have the defector status, he won't be signing with us after his KHL contract is over.... he is obviously very insulted by the oilers offer, so why would he choose the oilers when/if he wants to come over to the NHL? i think it should be pretty clear that he would rather sign with team other than the oilers
If he is considered a defected player, he doesn't have a choice which NHL team he signs with when his KHL contract is up.

Seachd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 02:39 PM
Terva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Moo View Post
"Scoring line" and "Weinhandl" are two things I never thought possible to see in the same sentence.
Weindhandl isn´t suited for North American hockey but he´s great in european conditions. And he really upped his game when he returned to Sweden and Linköping. Ofcourse, playing alongside a playmaker like Mårtensson helped him out. But Weinhandl was nothing in comparison to Omark when he was 22.

Terva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 02:43 PM
OilFanInCowtown

Do they still bother to write in 'out' clauses in the KHL contracts. Or does everybody just figure that post-Radulov that jumping from KHL to NHL (or vice versa) is a hazard of doing business?

This could still be a negotiating move.

OilFanInCowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 02:43 PM
callighenfan
H.O.N.P.E.D.

Quote:

-Omark

What's doubly frustrating is that this pack of idiots clearly doesn't even bother to check the metrics, let alone place any stock in them. You get the sense that not knowing, e.g., what Omark's NHL equivalances are would be a point of pride. Look out, Jonathan, they're going to send Bucky out to punch that disgracefully rational brain of yours.

callighenfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 02:48 PM
Terva

Quote:
Of course we can make a prediction even though we haven't seen him play here. That sort of thing is done all the time, every day, in every industry possible.
And the logic is that because he was drafted quite late it is impossible that he could be a talented player. And that´s what the Oilers did instead of looking at his current status and what he has achieved lately in the SEL. Oh, I forgot, the SEL is just some silly low level league somewhere in Europe... Was it Switzerland?

Old
04-08-2009, 02:50 PM
Giant Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terva View Post
Weindhandl isn´t suited for North American hockey but he´s great in european conditions. And he really upped his game when he returned to Sweden and Linköping. Ofcourse, playing alongside a playmaker like Mårtensson helped him out. But Weinhandl was nothing in comparison to Omark when he was 22.
That's fine and all, but I'm talking about the NHL.

I don't want the Oilers to waste their time with players who are unwilling or unable to commit to a real test of playing North American hockey.

Giant Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 02:52 PM
Giant Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terva View Post
And the logic is that because he was drafted quite late it is impossible that he could be a talented player.
I'm sorry, but who said that, and when, exactly?

I have a strange feeling you're making things up.

Quote:
And that´s what the Oilers did instead of looking at his current status and what he has achieved lately in the SEL. Oh, I forgot, the SEL is just some silly low level league somewhere in Europe... Was it Switzerland?
As someone mentioned before, our very own Horcoff was a top scorer in the SEL. Big whoop. That doesn't prove anything about NHL performance.

For someone who has never proven anything in the professional level in North American hockey, Omark looks silly to be demanding to not see the AHL. That's why people are calling him a primadonna.

It has nothing to do with him being Swedish. It has everything to do with his words and actions.

Giant Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 02:53 PM
OilFanInCowtown

I believe there are some waiver issues related to AHL pay. It's what meant that Potulny could bypass waivers on the way back up (but not down).

Could a more CBA experience poster tune me in on that one? Would that have any impact on lowering the AHL salary on an entry-level two-way contract?

I'm grasping at straws here. I really don't want to believe the consensus that we said "sorry, you're too small, take a 20K discount".

Is Omark using public opinion and a KHL contract to negotiate a Gagner-level contract?

OilFanInCowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 03:00 PM
Terva

Quote:

As someone mentioned before, our very own Horcoff was a top scorer in the SEL. Big whoop. That doesn't prove anything about NHL performance.
Zetterberg scored four points more than Horcoff the same season. Omark racked up greater numbers than Zetterberg did at the same age. That´s a proof for that Omark has the potential. Then it is up to his employer to give him all the conditions needed to succeed.

Old
04-08-2009, 03:01 PM
awesomo
HARD!

if Omark lights it up in the WHC, this board and every other Oilers board will explode

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 03:02 PM
KarmaPolice
Masterdebater

vCash: 777
Send a message via MSN to KarmaPolice
No problem. I'm sure we can sign Toby Petersen this summer, and he'll lead us to glory as in the past.

KarmaPolice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 03:04 PM
Terva

Quote:
I'm sorry, but who said that, and when, exactly?

I have a strange feeling you're making things up.
Today, 05:38
smackdaddy
Gagner Fan
"Yeah, I can see that. And it wouldn't surprise me for this organization to take such a shallow analysis of their prospects. 4th round? And he wants max?"

Today, 05:53
copperandblue
"Another consideration that I haven't seen touched on yet is the trickle down effect if the Oilers capitulated on Omark's demands and not only paid him the max (which is obviously out of scale for a 4th round pick) but gauranteed him a roster spot on top of it."

Old
04-08-2009, 03:05 PM
awesomo
HARD!

Quote:

-Omark

I really agree with this. They really have not learned their lesson, and knowing this off-season they will probably waste ALL their time on Hossa (who wont sign here) and lose Kotalik for much cheaper.

This team just does not learn their lesson. Its really unfortunate that CLB got the Oilers gem in Howson.

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 03:07 PM
mjlee

Hey, first time on the oilers board, but after reading the interviews with Omark and Harju in Swedish, I thought some pertinent points have been rather lost in the discussion. As has already been mentioned, Omark speaks of the limited interest Edmonton has shown him, and no there is absolutely no mention of money or bonuses or such things, but that Edmonton have spoken of him being small and that their roster is already filled with small players, and that he gets the feeling he doesn't fit with their future plans.

What apparently tipped the scales and made a difficult decision easy was that he can play another year with his best buddy, and that Weinhandl has spoken very highly to him of the Dynamo organisation. A direct quote from him to end the interview is, "It has been a difficult decision but from what my agent has told me, Edmonton doesn't really believe in me." Now this can be interpreted two ways, either the agent was pushing really hard for Omark to sign with Dynamo (possibly gaining himself a fat bonus) or he was told things by the Edmonton brass that made him tell his client not to sign there, or it could mean that the agent was pushing hard for the money and Edmonton didn't want to play ball. Food for thought in any case... Omark repeats that his ultimate goal is the NHL and that this is just a step on the way.

PS. Heh, the article below the interview with Omark is an interview with Erik Karlsson where he speaks of being rushed over to NA by the Sens. I wonder how much their sudden determination to get him over NOW is because they've panicked over the thought of the KHL poaching their prospect

mjlee is online now   Reply With Quote