HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

How high of a first rounder could kaberle get at draft?

Old
04-08-2009, 03:31 PM
AlMo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshot723 View Post
Kaberle will not get a young NHL player anymore IMO, but maybe a 1st and a team's 2nd or 3rd best prospect.
This is complete BS. Where are you getting this information from?

Kaberle on an off year was still on pace fo 47 points. Not bad considering he plays on a bottom feeder and he supposedly losing his skill at 30 years old.

Kaberle is by no means a top defender in the league but I tend to find Kabby is either overrated by Leafs fans and very underrated by all others.

Kaberle is a tremendous top 4 dman who can log 25 mins a night, instantly improve your PP and transition game and give you 50+ points a season. If a team is looking for a puck mover in hs prime that will improve the PP then Kabby is your man.

AlMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 03:34 PM
Schennrection

i dont understand people on here sometimes questioning the value of kaberle burke made it clear kaberle will be a leaf unless he gets what he set as the asking price and to say because no one bit at the deadline no one will bite now is stupid because at the deadline he could only be traded to ten teams so now at the draft when thirty teams can make offers for him theres less of a chance? either way kaberle stays or leaves leafs win

Schennrection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 03:38 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post
the only team in the top 10 or so of the draft that *may* consider moving their 1st pick for Kaberle would be Dallas.

They were ravaged by injuries this season and aren't your typical rebuilding team. They have a few good young players stepping into their lineup (Neal, Brunnstrom) and could use a top dman to replace Zubov with. Kaberle would be a perfect addition to the team, as he's still in his prime, and brings some experience for their other young defenders (Niskanen, Fristic, Grossman and Vishnevsky).

Seems to me that Dallas has some good young pieces that losing a 1st rounder, even a top 10 one, won't hurt them too much, when they are still a team that would otherwise be contending this season if not for huge losses to injuries.

having said that, I still doubt they'd move their 1st... just the only team in that range that I think would even consider it.
Dallas hasn't even been in a position to pick top 10 in almost 15 years; I don't see why they'd waste their 1st for Kaberle when they can go after J-Bo, Ohlund, or Komisarek in the offseason.

Of course, all three of them will more than likely get paid more than Kaberle, but if that means keeping a pick that may be Schroeder, MSP or Cowen, I'm all for it.

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 03:40 PM
GAGLine

Toronto will trade Kaberle to Florida for the rights to J-bo before he becomes UFA.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstocks View Post
i dont understand people on here sometimes questioning the value of kaberle burke made it clear kaberle will be a leaf unless he gets what he set as the asking price and to say because no one bit at the deadline no one will bite now is stupid because at the deadline he could only be traded to ten teams so now at the draft when thirty teams can make offers for him theres less of a chance? either way kaberle stays or leaves leafs win
How exactly do the Leafs win if he stays?

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
grabo84

You're a good troll Flapjack.

grabo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 03:41 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstocks View Post
and to say because no one bit at the deadline no one will bite now is stupid because at the deadline he could only be traded to ten teams so now at the draft when thirty teams can make offers for him theres less of a chance?
You mean they aren't any UFA defensemen on the market this off-season? Sure they might not be as good as Kaberle - but they won't cost you a 1st round pick + either. Where is the urgency for a GM to make a panic move in the off-season (AND before the draft) compared to the trading deadline? His value will be greater at the trading deadline - regardless of the lower number of "buyers" because of that. I think Burke will get a 1st round pick + high prospect offer from another team around the trading deadline next year.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 03:42 PM
Gil Gunderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipeshow View Post
Why would any team that is in the top 10, trade their 1st for Kaberle?

If you're a bad team, why trade your first rounder for a vet defender?

How many bottom 10 teams would be a Kaberle away from the playoffs next year?
Ottawa.

But we need to improve our farm.

Gil Gunderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 03:50 PM
GNick42

Montreal will be drafting somewhere between 14-18th, I know I would give up our first round pick for Kaberle

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 03:52 PM
GNick42

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Toronto will trade Kaberle to Florida for the rights to J-bo before he becomes UFA.
Very well could happen

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 03:58 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNick42 View Post
Montreal will be drafting somewhere between 14-18th, I know I would give up our first round pick for Kaberle
It'll cost at least a 1st round pick + top prospect for Burke to be interested - which is what the OP's trade proposal was.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 04:10 PM
powerthirst

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlMo View Post
Most dmen with Kabby's talent are making over 6 million per season so I don't understand how you can say Kaberle is becoming less and less a bargain. Honestly, your statement makes very little sense.
It didn't seem to make sense because you didn't read it properly. You're correct that 4 million is less than 6 million (good math by the way) but my point was that it doesn't make much of a difference if you only have 1 or 2 million in cap space.

Kaberle's contract is only a 'bargain' compared to other high-priced Dmen.
At 4 million it's not a bargain in the general sense of the term, especially against a falling cap.
Most contending teams are hard against the cap and won't be looking to add significant salary at the expense of a pick or quality prospect.

powerthirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 04:13 PM
Kencaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flapjack View Post
Kinda how Leaf fans were saying Antropov was gonna fetch a first rounder and a top prospect?

Yeah, howd that one work out, lulz.

Leaf fans over value their players into this almost mytical universe where anything but a top tier prospect is the only thing possible for their scrubs, oh yeah, and multiple picks, preferibly first rounders.

That wheezing sound is the ballon being burst slowly.
Leaf fans over value their players, im not gonna argue that, however..........antropov = kaberle?? are you kidding? im debating whether i should even bother, but im going to.......Kaberle is a steal of a contract, antropov was a rental, kabs has made a few all-star teams (i dont no how many, too lazy to look it up), antropov has never even been considered (at least i hope he hasnt). Kaberle is definitely first line pairing material, while antropov is a 4th forward imo. How can i over value both antropov (was one of my fav leafs) and kaberle at the same time??

anyway, after that little rant, why has no one mentioned LA?? Do the kings really need more prospects?? then again do the kings need a d-man, im not sure of the kings in this regard, they have great depth regarding youth at D, but would getting a more veteran guy on the back end help the kings make the playoffs again? Then again if i was LA, i would go after a top line goal scoring forward rather than kaberle.

And what about teams in the 15th-10 spots? Buffalo maybe? Edm? Florida? I'm not suggesting these teams are looking for / need kabs, but they are the type of teams that i would think are in a position to deal a higher end pick for kaberle. Beyond that in the 15-20 range....the ducks if they loose scott or trade pronger, the blues (solid prospect depth), the blue jackets (good prospect depth, probly 20ish pick), or the habs? I think there are teams that are in a position to deal for kaberle. Personally i would prefer the leafs trade kabs for a lower end pick and get a prospect with it, or trade kubina for a early 2nd (with prospect) or late first

Kencaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 04:13 PM
Patrick96

I think St Louis is a team that would swap a 1st + prospects for Kaberle + ?. Other teams include Anaheim, assuming they don't re-sign Beauchemin. Dallas except they most likely want to utilize their draft pick. Ottawa, but they have a similiar player in Kuba and I'd hate to see Kabs play there.
Any one of those is a top 15 pick.
Just another thought, maybe you agree/disagree but I think that Tampa Bay could be a darkhorse in a trade involving Kaberle, assuming they are out of the Hedman sweepstakes. I think that when healthy, they are a Kaberle away from the playoffs.
On another note, I'd love to see Beauchemin signed by Toronto.

Patrick96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 04:14 PM
tony135420

If Burke attempts to do what he said he was going to do, which is make this a 2-3 year rebuild, I don't see the benefit in trading our best offensive d-man. Esspecially since his value presently (deadline or not) is at an all time low. What I hope Burke does is focus on freeing up cap space to make a run for some key FA pick ups.

tony135420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 04:18 PM
Patrick96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kencaid View Post
And what about teams in the 15th-10 spots? Buffalo maybe? Edm? Florida? I'm not suggesting these teams are looking for / need kabs, but they are the type of teams that i would think are in a position to deal a higher end pick for kaberle. Beyond that in the 15-20 range....the ducks if they loose scott or trade pronger, the blues (solid prospect depth), the blue jackets (good prospect depth, probly 20ish pick), or the habs? I think there are teams that are in a position to deal for kaberle. Personally i would prefer the leafs trade kabs for a lower end pick and get a prospect with it, or trade kubina for a early 2nd (with prospect) or late first
You answered your own question regarding LA's interest in Kaberle, Buffalo and Florida are also plausible destinations. Columbus has more interest in Kubina then Kaberle, he would fit the mould of that team a little better.

Old
04-08-2009, 04:20 PM
Patrick96

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony135420 View Post
If Burke attempts to do what he said he was going to do, which is make this a 2-3 year rebuild, I don't see the benefit in trading our best offensive d-man. Esspecially since his value presently (deadline or not) is at an all time low. What I hope Burke does is focus on freeing up cap space to make a run for some key FA pick ups.
The draft being very deep this year could land you a top line calibre prospect that would be cheaper 2 years down the road than a FA pick-up.

Old
04-08-2009, 04:21 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs2011cupchamps View Post
Personally, since kaberles asking price is a first rounder, a top prospect and a roster player , if the leafs were to trade him for just a first rounder they could get a top 10 pick depending on who they trade with ex. ottawa's 1st for kaberle. thoughts?

That's what Burke is asking, 1st, prospect and a roster player. He was asking a 1st for Antropov too. I suspect he once again doesn't get offered what he wants and keeps Kaberle. If Burke waits for that package, Kaberle will probably retire as a Leaf.

TaketheCannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 04:27 PM
My Sweet Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by sauce View Post
I would be surprised if they even got a first-round pick.
Then you'll probably be very suprised on Draft Day.

That is, unless Burke decides he should be part of the future for this team.

My Sweet Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 04:28 PM
My Sweet Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
How exactly do the Leafs win if he stays?
It would signal that the team wants to get competitive and soon ... and having a puck-moving defenseman like Kaberle is one of the key components of all playoff teams.

My Sweet Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 04:29 PM
embracedbias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flapjack View Post
Kaberle isnt even worth a first rounder, and doubtful a second.

A third round pick, and a low one at that.
thanks for stopping by.

embracedbias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 04:30 PM
leaflover
New hope

vCash: 4850
Kaberle's value this off season is certainly no less than it was at the deadline.
I'm not so sure a 1st rounder will necessarily be a key to Burke moving him. he got his bonus draft picks from Moore and Antropov and bonus prospects in the form of Bozak and Hanson. A young quality proven player is a more likely target and/or some goaltending either to challenge Toskala or short term future goaltending.

leaflover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 04:39 PM
wayne98

if toronto has the 7th or 8th pick and want to move up to 1-5 range then I can see some team in that range trading there pick for toronto's pick and kaberle.

say isles trade 1st overall pick- toronto for 8th pick and kaberle
or say tb pick (2nd or 3rd pick) -- toronto for 8th pick and kaberle

thats how the leafs get in the top 5 in draft

wayne98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 04:41 PM
KesseltoLupul

Dallas, Ottawa, and Minnesota would be my bets if Burkes trading him at the deadline.

KesseltoLupul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 04:48 PM
Ironworkercrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs2011cupchamps View Post
Personally, since kaberles asking price is a first rounder, a top prospect and a roster player , if the leafs were to trade him for just a first rounder they could get a top 10 pick depending on who they trade with ex. ottawa's 1st for kaberle. thoughts?
I dont believe Ottawa is a place Burke will trade with do to the battle of Ontario. I they do make a trade at the draft it will be a packaged deal. Kaberle and a roster player or a pick or two plus a prospect. I think it also depends on how many college kids are let to sign.

Ironworkercrazy is offline   Reply With Quote