HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#80 Pittsburgh Penguins @ Tampa Bay Lighting|Tuesday April 7th 7:30p.m.|

Old
04-07-2009, 10:07 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

vCash: 500
People are making way too much of the third period. It's almost impossible to judge teams in the final week of the regular schedule. There's a real sense of "let's end this thing already" for a lot of teams. Next week, everybody is tied for first again, and we are one of the 16 in the dance. Nothing else matters.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 10:13 PM
shureshot66
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
People are making way too much of the third period. It's almost impossible to judge teams in the final week of the regular schedule. There's a real sense of "let's end this thing already" for a lot of teams. Next week, everybody is tied for first again, and we are one of the 16 in the dance. Nothing else matters.
all the same -- i think we'd all feel a bit better if they come out and hammered the isles and habs over the next few days.

that montreal game is going to be nasty, though. there's a chance that game will be the difference between making or missing the playoffs for them. home finale for the 100th season? the place is going to be nuts.

shureshot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 10:21 PM
Mo Wanchuk
Embrace the Hate

Quote:
I tend to agree.. It was like they knew they had it wrapped up and got lazy, had some mental errors and were out of position. They definatly need to address those things but I think they will come out strong next week against whoever. I can see them thumping the Isles and having another barn burner against Montreal.

Mo Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 10:29 PM
AquaticBirdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by shureshot66 View Post
all the same -- i think we'd all feel a bit better if they come out and hammered the isles and habs over the next few days.

that montreal game is going to be nasty, though. there's a chance that game will be the difference between making or missing the playoffs for them. home finale for the 100th season? the place is going to be nuts.
To be quite honest with you I'm really not getting my hopes up that we'll come out of these next 2 games with wins. Our chances are obviously strong against the Isles considering just how bad they really are, but at the same time I'd expect them to come out with the fury of hell in their eyes looking for a win in order to save face after such a humiliating defeat tonight against the Canes.

As for the Habs game, I'm DEFINITELY not expect us to win that one. The Pens will be going into a hostile environment in the Bell Centre, in a game that will potentially be pivotal towards their playoff hopes depending of course also on how the Panthers and the Rags do in their upcoming games as well. Needless to say they're gonna come at us with everything they've got, whereas I honestly don't see the Pens giving max effort.

AquaticBirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 10:29 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvdnsx View Post
Umm....goalie interference is goalie interference. This isn't NHL 09, if a goalie goes behind the net and plays the puck you can't hit him because he is outside the crease. Pittsburgh got away with a lucky goal there, even Pens fans can see that even if the NHL cannot because this Pens team is their poster-child for some reason (and you wonder why popularity of hockey isn't getting any better). I'm not a Pens fan by any means but you are an Islander fan and your team lost by what tonight...by two touchdowns and a safety?!

Actually I wasn't just referring to that call alone. The Tampa Bay announcers are major homers. Even some of their own die hard fans that I know think they are.

Also your reference to the Islanders is moot. 3/4 of our roster is on IR, plus we are in the middle of a rebuild, what did you expect?

Now back to your Penguins GDT...

Congrats on the Playoffs Pens fans!!!!

04-07-2009, 10:30 PM
AquaticBirdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by shureshot66 View Post

Gotta say, as a dedicated Habs-hater, nothing would be sweeter than knowing that my beloved Pens were the ones responsible for crushing their playoff hopes in the last game of the season

Old
04-07-2009, 11:00 PM
Katawah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony66 View Post
Gotta say, as a dedicated Habs-hater, nothing would be sweeter than knowing that my beloved Pens were the ones responsible for crushing their playoff hopes in the last game of the season
I hope we don't get any injuries in that Montreal game.

**{Knock on wood }}.

Katawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 11:01 PM
Ugene Malkin
ON THE WAGON TRAIL

Quote:
OH, NO! Not two times in one season. First the ASG, Now the Playoffs!

Double terrifica!....

Ugene Malkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 11:06 PM
ComplianceBuyout

Quote:
I cannot agree more with that statement

that said, it's gonna be a HELL of game on saturday!

ComplianceBuyout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 11:10 PM
AquaticBirdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katawah View Post
I hope we don't get any injuries in that Montreal game.

**{Knock on wood }}.
Why would you even say it to begin with?

Old
04-07-2009, 11:17 PM
Katawah

Quote:
Why would you even say it to begin with?
Well .. I thought I'd try the "opposite of jinxing" .. as Super Reverse Homer remarked.

It's like .. it seems to me that the threat of injury is there for that game .. whether we like it or not .. and so some 'deterrent' psychic energy against that threat is called for.

But, yeah, I know what you're saying.

Katawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 11:55 PM
mashsoccer37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Arcade View Post
I wouldn't want to play the Canes at all. Remember when a mediocre Canes team put an ugly 9-2 beating on a pretty good Pens team? They always seem to bring it against the Pens. Actually, the same goes for Florida and Tampa Bay, the last 3 games have been against teams that give the Pens a lot of trouble no matter how either of us are playing.
Thank god we don't play in the Southeast. I mean, not only would our team record suck, but Crosby and Malkin would probably top out at THE MOST 50 points a season. This just goes to show how weak the Atlantic is and how inflated Sid and Genos stats are. OV is CLEARLY the MVP in the league taking into account how ineffective Malkin's been against the SE.

But in all seriousness, it's probably AO's to lose. Hopefully Geno can hold on to the Art Ross.

mashsoccer37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 12:05 AM
The Big Jabroni

I can't believe we nearly blew a 4 goal lead to the Lightning, of all teams.

Here's hoping for a 60 minute effort on Thursday.

The Big Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 09:25 AM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
Originally Posted by odds View Post
OH, NO! Not two times in one season. First the ASG, Now the Playoffs!

Double terrifica!....
How about the trifecta? Beat them on Saturday, knock them out of the playoffs in the centennial year, and for good measure on July 1 steal away Kovalev.

That said, Saturday's game is going to be very hard to win if Mtl hasn't clinched yet. If they have, it could be a relative bore. Either way, I will be there. We tend to suck whenever we play Mtl, but it will be hard to top the last time we played at the Bell Centre; that was the Whitney-Goligoski pairing (-5 collectively) night. I still wake up at night in a cold sweat with that game fresh in my mind. That game was also "Lightning Strikes Caputi" night, when he scored on his first NHL shift.

Hopefully, there will be something memorable about Saturday's game, but something positive.

Old
04-08-2009, 09:28 AM
JordanStaal#1Fan

vCash: 1012
Quote:
How about the trifecta? Beat them on Saturday, knock them out of the playoffs in the centennial year, and for good measure on July 1 steal away Kovalev.

That said, Saturday's game is going to be very hard to win if Mtl hasn't clinched yet. If they have, it could be a relative bore. Either way, I will be there. We tend to suck whenever we play Mtl, but it will be hard to top the last time we played at the Bell Centre; that was the Whitney-Goligoski pairing (-5 collectively) night. I still wake up at night in a cold sweat with that game fresh in my mind. That game was also "Lightning Strikes Caputi" night, when he scored on his first NHL shift.

Hopefully, there will be something memorable about Saturday's game, but something positive.
Take care of yourself man and don't celebrate too much if we knock 'em out of the playoffs, their fans will be crazy, you could get kill

Personally, I'm going to "La Cage aux Sports" in Victoriaville with a bunch of Habs fans friends and I expect to be punched in the ribs more than once (because they always try to get physical after a Pens goal, he, he).

JordanStaal#1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 09:33 AM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanStaal#1Fan View Post
Take care of yourself man and don't celebrate too much if we knock 'em out of the playoffs, their fans will be crazy, you could get kill

Personally, I'm going to "La Cage aux Sports" in Victoriaville with a bunch of Habs fans friends and I expect to be punched in the ribs more than once (because they always try to get physical after a Pens goal, he, he).
I plan on wearing my Staal jersey...might make me look taller.

Old
04-08-2009, 09:35 AM
JordanStaal#1Fan

vCash: 1012
Quote:
I plan on wearing my Staal jersey...might make me look taller.

Ha, ha, ha, well, then, there is only one thing more to say: "May the power of the Gronk be with you... always!".

JordanStaal#1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 10:24 AM
Pens1566

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils13 View Post
except the fact his back foot was in the crease and if the only way goalie interference isnt goalie interference then everyone would be running goalies who play the puck outside the crease....it was goaltender interference and it shouldnt have been a goal
He didn't "run" him. Running him would have been not stopping outside the crease after he shot the puck and continuing to skate through Ramo. He stopped outside the crease after making a legit play. Any contact was incidental, and btw, outside the crease. That will almost never get called. A better example of goaltender interference was the Schzzhczchzhczhzczhzchzura goal where Scuderi got cross checked into Fleury, who was in the crease.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvdnsx View Post
Umm....goalie interference is goalie interference. This isn't NHL 09, if a goalie goes behind the net and plays the puck you can't hit him because he is outside the crease. Pittsburgh got away with a lucky goal there, even Pens fans can see that even if the NHL cannot because this Pens team is their poster-child for some reason (and you wonder why popularity of hockey isn't getting any better). I'm not a Pens fan by any means but you are an Islander fan and your team lost by what tonight...by two touchdowns and a safety?!
No, its the real NHL. He didn't check him behind the net. There was contact made outside the crease. He stopped. Outside. The. Crease.

Pens1566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 11:08 AM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

That goal should not have been allowed. Incidental contact with the goalie can be called without a penalty. Simply wipe out the goal. That would have been the correct call. Fedotenko didn't mean to impede Ramo, but the rule is if you do so incidentally the goal is to be disallowed. No penalty.

They blew that one, no question.

Old
04-08-2009, 02:42 PM
ej_pens

Send a message via AIM to ej_pens
Quote:
That goal should not have been allowed. Incidental contact with the goalie can be called without a penalty. Simply wipe out the goal. That would have been the correct call. Fedotenko didn't mean to impede Ramo, but the rule is if you do so incidentally the goal is to be disallowed. No penalty.

They blew that one, no question.

No, they didn't.

Quote:
Incidental contact with a goalkeeper will be permitted, and resulting goals allowed, when such contact is initiated outside of the goal crease, provided the attacking player has made a reasonable effort to avoid such contact

ej_pens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 02:53 PM
gogasson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils13 View Post
except the fact his back foot was in the crease and if the only way goalie interference isnt goalie interference then everyone would be running goalies who play the puck outside the crease....it was goaltender interference and it shouldnt have been a goal
Well if the guy has a left foot, a right foot AND a back foot, he should be playing hockey.

Anyway, I have no problem with it being a goal. Fedetenko did not intentionally touch him, he's turning to find the rebound of the scoring chance he just had. Fedetenko was not in the crease even though the goaltender may have had the big toe nail of his "back" foot in it.

If you call that goal back you can call back an aweful lot of goals where someone is camped in front of the goalie. Or any scrum where the goalie it touched in any way.

gogasson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 04:35 PM
Pens1566

Quote:
Originally Posted by ej_pens View Post
No, they didn't.
Thank you.

Pens1566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 04:50 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

I suppose it's open for interpretation. My feeling is they blew the call, and had it happened to Fleury in the playoffs I would have completely lost it.