HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dynamo Moscow signs Omark and Harju

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-08-2009, 05:33 PM
  #326
stratedge
I rigged the lotto.
 
stratedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,613
vCash: 785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garl View Post
So you're happy that a prospects who scored over PPG in SEL(which is rare) will not play for Oilers and will not even try it? And based on what you're happy? Based on he's not tough enough philosophy? LOL. And don't compare him to Gagner who is a Golden boy because he is ¹6 overall draft choice. Omark will need to be 2 times as good as Gagner to play in NHL. And when he is told he is too small, that smells AHL no matter what will he do.
This is the kind of short sighted thinking that would drive a team into a hole it could never dig itself out of. You can't go signing every little pipsqueek to put up an impressive season in Europe to a $2M contract and guarantee him a spot in the NHL, because you're afraid he might turn out to be good.

I suggest you read up on some of the more insightful posts in this thread, and come to understand why this is good for the Oilers. He's most likely (by a long shot) not ready for the NHL, and he's high risk / low reward to find out if they sign him immediately. This club has used up all it's contract space for gambling on players like that, and then some.

And do you think the Oilers management didn't know this? Think about it this way... if the Oilers wanted to they could have easily mislead him and said "oh sure buddy, you're awesome, you'll never see the AHL" but CBA restrictions would have kept him on a 2 way contract anyway. Instead they were honest with him... so ask yourself "why?". I think there are 2 reasons; first, because if he goes to the KHL we all get to see how he progresses and the Oilers don't lose his rights. Second, because putting the challenge out in front of him, you get to find out whether Omark is confident he can do well in the NHL. If he turns and runs, that's pretty good insight into his confidence no matter how much overzealous fans like yourself choose to ignore it.

stratedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 05:40 PM
  #327
JBell84
Registered User
 
JBell84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: CGY-body, EDM-spirit
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,655
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Moose View Post
How is that different for any other draftee not named Crosby, Ovechkin and a handful of others? When Ottawa signed Daigle, wasn't that simply money spent on expectations? How is the rookie max spent on Eberle nothing more than expectations? Any signing, any draftee involves an amount of risk. Was the risk of signing Omark too great? I don't think so. At the end of the day it was a choice of the organization. If you are ready to applaud that choice, specially if Omark's game turns out is indeed not suitable for NHL, then you also should also be open to harshly criticize it if Omark turns out into next Zetterberg.

As well, I find it irrelevant whether he was drafted in the first round or fourth. Hypothetically, if he was drafted in the first round and had a similar (or maybe weaker) career after the draft how would he be suddenly entitled to the league max? On ice performance alone should count.

To the other point, that he doesn't have NA experience, there are many other players that played in SEL and jumped directly to NHL: Sedins and Alfredsson come to mind.

It looks like the only reason the Oilers didn't want to give him the max was not to create some sort of (dangerous in their minds) precedent.
The fact of the matter is, you can site all the examples where this has worked out, or all the examples where it hasn't, and all of them mean nothing to this particular situation.

The fact of the matter is, this particular signing would be a gamble, and the team is too fragile right now to be gambling on things so unpredictable. We need some surefire winners or we're screwed even more.

I can't say it enough that this would be an emotional signing. It would just be serving to quell some of the heat of this failed season... We need to take some time to think things over and approach this off-season very carefully.

If we were in a better position, I'd agree with you that the gamble would be worth taking, but the way we're sitting right now... I just can't buy into it.

JBell84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 05:41 PM
  #328
s7ark
Moderator
McDavid!!!!!!!!!!!
 
s7ark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich View Post
it looks like we retain his rights so this is no big loss. ALso, the contract Omark was after wasn't 850,000$, it was closer to 2 mill including bonuses. Those bonuses count against the cap even if he didn't reach them. Huge risk.
How do you know he was after a bonus filled contract? It didn't say that in the article. And you are wrong on the risk thing. If he makes the team, he'd be worth the cap hit, so no risk. If he didn't make the team, he'd go play in Europe and we wouldn't have the cap hit, so again no risk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratedge View Post
I've seen his highlight reels, his game would never translate in the NHL.
LOL so watching his highlight vid and concluding he can make it in the NHL is asinine, but watching it and concluding he can't make it in the NHL is fine? It's the same highlight video. Besides, a lot of the Omark is NHL ready crowd are the SEL fans who have watched him, or are fans who have at least seen his full periods up on Youtube. So they aren't just talking out of their ass based on one highlight video

I am not sure he could play here next year either, but he should have at least gotten the chance to try. Not giving a kid with his kind of potential the rookie max and a chance to compete by saying "sure we have some guys your size, but if you outplay them you get the spot" is just bad asset management.

Gee I wonder why none of our Euro kids turn out if this is how we treat them. Don't do much in their league and we'll lowball you cause you don't have the numbers, do something and we'll lowball you because you haven't done it in NA. There is no win for a Euro Oilers pick. Henceforth I am writing off all Euros upon us drafting them if they aren't playing in NA, as we clearly have no idea how to woo and develop the next Dats/Zetts


Quote:
Originally Posted by OilDude View Post
So what,he can make fancy moves against players in the SEL way different story on the NHL and the Oilers need bigger players not midgets and smurfs.
Excellent post. Now tell us how drafting MAP over Parise for the same reason worked out.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 05:44 PM
  #329
The Moose
Registered User
 
The Moose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 5,641
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratedge View Post
And do you think the Oilers management didn't know this? Think about it this way... if the Oilers wanted to they could have easily mislead him and said "oh sure buddy, you're awesome, you'll never see the AHL" but CBA restrictions would have kept him on a 2 way contract anyway.
And don't you think that Omark's agent, hence Omark himself, knew this as well? He was aware all along that he might end up in AHL. However, based on how he performed, he felt he deserved more than what Reddox (a comparable 4th rounder of the same age in Oilers eyes) is getting payed.


Last edited by The Moose: 04-08-2009 at 05:50 PM.
The Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 05:44 PM
  #330
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Krushelnyski View Post
A few euro players signed just this past season to rookie max contracts that have never played in the NHL:

Detroit Red Wings
Ville Leino
Salary: $875,000

Dallas Stars
Fabian Brunnstrom
Salary: $875,000

Pittsberg Penguins
Janne Pesonen
Salary: $875,000

Toronto Maple Leafs
Nikolai Kulemin
Salary: $850,000 (just shy of rookie max)

No guaranteed roster spots for any of them... but the money is there. So why are other organizations willing to sign 'unproven' talent to those contracts if it's that much of an adverse gamble?
Ville Leino played 13 NHL games and 55 AHL games.

Fabian Brunnstrom played 52 NHL games and 1 AHL game.

Janne Pesonen played 7 NHL games and 66 AHL games.

Nikolai Kulemin played 71 NHL games and 5 AHL games.

2 out of the 4 played a majority of the season in the AHL, which Omark has already said he won't do. If the guy was willing to come over and perhaps play in the AHL (if he needs it), it might be a different story.

If he's looking for the rookie max in base, but not much in bonuses, and he's willing to play in the AHL if he needs it, the Oilers should sign him without issue.

If he's asking for the moon in bonuses plus the rookie max, it's another issue altogether.

Also, he doesn't have to come and play 70 AHL games... if it turns out that he's going to be in the AHL for a while, there's nothing stopping them from working out an agreement where he can play X number of AHL games, and then he either needs to be in the NHL or the Oilers have to let him go back to Europe.

__________________
TheSpecialist - MacT thinks he was that good of a hockey player when in actuality he was no better then a Louie Debrusk.
dawgbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 05:46 PM
  #331
Systemfel
Global Moderator
Hockey Talk by Country
 
Systemfel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Gothenburg
Country: Sweden
Posts: 8,942
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd View Post
According to the CBA, he doesn't have a choice. The only thing that would prevent him from going back into the draft is if the Oilers keep his rights due to the lack of a transfer agreement, but I'm not sure how that will play out.
But he's 22 years old?

Quote:
Originally Posted by enthropi View Post
Why not?
Too old to be drafted, I thought.

Systemfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 05:46 PM
  #332
Behind Enemy Lines
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 3,792
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
How do you know he was after a bonus filled contract? It didn't say that in the article. And you are wrong on the risk thing. If he makes the team, he'd be worth the cap hit, so no risk. If he didn't make the team, he'd go play in Europe and we wouldn't have the cap hit, so again no risk.



LOL so watching his highlight vid and concluding he can make it in the NHL is asinine, but watching it and concluding he can't make it in the NHL is fine? It's the same highlight video. Besides, a lot of the Omark is NHL ready crowd are the SEL fans who have watched him, or are fans who have at least seen his full periods up on Youtube. So they aren't just talking out of their ass based on one highlight video

I am not sure he could play here next year either, but he should have at least gotten the chance to try. Not giving a kid with his kind of potential the rookie max and a chance to compete by saying "sure we have some guys your size, but if you outplay them you get the spot" is just bad asset management.

Gee I wonder why none of our Euro kids turn out if this is how we treat them. Don't do much in their league and we'll lowball you cause you don't have the numbers, do something and we'll lowball you because you haven't done it in NA. There is no win for a Euro Oilers pick. Henceforth I am writing off all Euros upon us drafting them if they aren't playing in NA, as we clearly have no idea how to woo and develop the next Dats/Zetts




Excellent post. Now tell us how drafting MAP over Parise for the same reason worked out.

Great post S7ark.

IMO, the argument also isn't advanced with demeaning terms like 'pipsqueak' which reinforces a bias.

Behind Enemy Lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 05:48 PM
  #333
ExileNZ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by copperandblue View Post
The argument isn't about paying a guy that has yet to play in NA. The argument is about paying the max to a 4th round draft pick.
The point of 4th round is not as relevant when it comes to Europeans. Their contracts are not based upon draftposition as much as what they have produced in their pro league career over in Europe. The only exception to this is first rounders where the NHL rules steps in.

In Omarks case he has produced numbers that only M.Näslund x2, Forsberg, Zetterberg, Loob and the Sedin twins have done. His stats are there for everyone to see. A fancy goal or two on youtube doesnt matter, the stats matters.
Read the stats and compare those stats to every other 21 year old that has played in the SEL and see what players with his numbers have gone on to do in the NHL. Dont forget that the SEL doesn't hand out assists at will like the NHL...
The result is that EVERYONE with Omarks stats have played in at least ONE NHL all-star game and have produced on a top two line in the NHL for more than five years.
The one with the lowest stats is actually Henrik Zetterberg who had 43 and 44 points the first two seasons he played in the NHL and played the first year on the Red Wings third line...
And he is hardly a bust...

Brunnstrom scored nine goals in Sweden, Omark 22.
Nilsson couldnt make a fourth line in SEL, Omark is on a first.
Nicklas Bäckström - of the Capitals scored 12 times the season before he left for the NHL.
In his second season in the NHL he is close to 90 points and the best pointscorer from the draft of 2006.
Bäckströms total in his last SEL season was 40 points.

Omark plays on the national team etc etc.

Its not like the lad is an unknown quantity or not known or seen by everyone involved in ice hockey.

Edmonton has decided that he is a prospect they dont see much future in, apparently too small and similar to what Edmonton already have. They dont see him as a producing forward. So they offer him a contract according to that assesement.
Fair enough.

Normally a person with his stats doesn't have to negotiate about a max contract, its all about the bonuses.
When Edmonton is talking about contract pay I think that says it all about what faith they have in him.

The agent relays this info to the player who decides Edmonton is not a club he reckons will be good for his career or for his hockeyfuture. Omark is fortunate, his stats are such that he will get plenty of offers from other NHL clubs. Not many people are that fortunate.
He and his agent reckons he is better off waiting another year and sign for a NHL club that believes in him rather than going to an Edmonton that doesnt seem to have any faith in him.
In the meantime he can play a year in the KHL together with his best mate and secure his future financially.
Fair enough, a contract is between two parties and in this case Omark and Edmonton aren't talking the same language.

Now finances aren't that important to Omark, he can always return to Sweden and be paid handsomely to play in the SEL. He has star status there and it wont change even if he fails abroad.
Omarks financial future is already secured. He is not in the same situation like a Canadian where its the NHL or very little money to choose between.

Personally I am not impressed with the way the Oilers handled this. If they weren't high on Omark they should of course have traded his rights so that they could get a return on their asset.
Right now the Oilers get nothing at all and that cant be good asset management considering this player is supposed to be the best coming out of Europe this year.

QUOTE=copperandblue;18942738] Particularily if the Oilers still end up with his NHL rights when all is said and done, that argument becomes even stronger.[/QUOTE]
Problem is that the Oilers looses the rights for Omark in June.

Its not like his agent doesn't know what he is doing or doesn't talk to other teams.
Omark will play in the NHL 2010 and will get a max contract.
He just wont get it with the organisation that drafted him and held his rights. That deal will be done this summer after Edmonton has lost the rights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperandblue View Post
Can you come up with an example of a 4th rounder that was offered the max? Honest question, if there are examples out there then obviously I would have to reconsider my stance.
Its not easy to find a player with Omarks stats to compare with. As shown above his stats are exceptional for a player of his age in the SEL. The only player that has his stats is Zetterberg. He got 2.5 mil for 3 years and he was a fourth rounder but he signed before the new CBA.

But why do you focus on the fourth round.
This isn't a Canadian hockey player where that is what determines his salary.
This is a European player and the major determining factor is the stats he has produced in his native pro league.
2nd or 7th rounder wont make any difference. He is judged upon what he has produced in the SEL.

Omark hasnt proven anything in the NHL some says. Thats true, neither has any other youngster.
However Omark has faced topdefenders with over 500 NHL games under their belt in many of the shifts he has played this season.
Show me any other player on Edmontons books that has done this?
These defenders have shown what they can do at many levels, players like Kenny Jonsson and Marcus Ragnarsson for example are seasoned NHL vets, they have gold medals from the Olympics or worlds. They are classes above anything you can face in the OHL, WHL or Quebec Minor league.
In fact show me one other Oiler prospect that plays against defenders with those merits and scores at will?
Pretty hard to find...

ExileNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 05:49 PM
  #334
The Moose
Registered User
 
The Moose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 5,641
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone View Post

2 out of the 4 played a majority of the season in the AHL, which Omark has already said he won't do. If the guy was willing to come over and perhaps play in the AHL (if he needs it), it might be a different story.

That didn't appear to be the issue. If Oilers said "Here's the max, but play in the AHL for a year if you cannot make the team" and he still declined, then you might have a point.

The Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 05:49 PM
  #335
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lummer20 View Post
Sure sounds to me from the translated interviews with the kid that he would love to play in the NHL, just not for a team that tells him they think he's too small (so why draft him in the first place?). Nice sell job, Lowe.

Too many under 6-footers on the roster? Unload some of them then and make room for the performers.
Who are the performers though? What if you deal a guy like Nilsson and Omark comes in and is never as good?

That's part of the issue.

Quote:
Kid noticed how Hemmer was exploited here, saw all the favoritism that goes into rewarding undeserving scrubs while your only marquee player is treated like laundry.
He made a nice pay cheque to be exploited.

Quote:
Signed over there so he can go back in the draft - as far away from this debacle of a club as possible. Another black eye for a once storied franchise that is fading fast.
Except he doesn't go back in the draft.

dawgbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 05:53 PM
  #336
awesomo
HARD!
 
awesomo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: location, location
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,727
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone View Post
Who are the performers though? What if you deal a guy like Nilsson and Omark comes in and is never as good?

That's part of the issue.



He made a nice pay cheque to be exploited.



Except he doesn't go back in the draft.
This is really the important thing? Are we 100% sure, cuz if we are... than this really means absolutely nothing. In fact, if he doesn't go back into the draft, then its even better that he is playing in this league. Good development

awesomo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 05:56 PM
  #337
McJadeddog
Registered User
 
McJadeddog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan
Posts: 12,287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
You are correct that nothing has been confirmed. But it is clear from the cba that if Omark is classified under defector status then he would remain Oilers property until at least a) there is a new cba or b) there is a new IIHF transfer agreement.

The issue here is whether he has defector status. It does seem clear that the NHL's position would support this assumption and that this position was upheld by an arbitrator.
you could be right, in fact you probably are (since you seem to know the CBA pretty well in all other aspects i'm inclined to believe you on this matter).... the problem is that he signed a 2 year deal that takes him from 2009-10 to 2010-11.... the current CBA expires after the 2010-11 season, whos to say that the new CBA will still have the same rules? also, the IIHF and the NHL coudl sign a transfer deal *tomorrow* for all we know, which would also affect our "rights" when it comes to omark

i really don't see how this can be spun as anything but a *massive* failure by our management group

McJadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 05:56 PM
  #338
Garl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 5,910
vCash: 500
Quote:
This is the kind of short sighted thinking that would drive a team into a hole it could never dig itself out of. You can't go signing every little pipsqueek to put up an impressive season in Europe to a $2M contract and guarantee him a spot in the NHL, because you're afraid he might turn out to be good
BS. First of all if he signed for 1,2 mil in KHL he wasn't demanding 2 mil in NHL. Second, he put up impressive season in Europe, you think it's a usual thing. There are many players who do that at his age. The answer is no.

Quote:
I suggest you read up on some of the more insightful posts in this thread, and come to understand why this is good for the Oilers. He's most likely (by a long shot) not ready for the NHL, and he's high risk / low reward to find out if they sign him immediately. This club has used up all it's contract space for gambling on players like that, and then some.
Ridiculous. How do you know if he is ready or not? By watching youtube videos?

Quote:
And do you think the Oilers management didn't know this? Think about it this way... if the Oilers wanted to they could have easily mislead him and said "oh sure buddy, you're awesome, you'll never see the AHL" but CBA restrictions would have kept him on a 2 way contract anyway. Instead they were honest with him... so ask yourself "why?". I think there are 2 reasons; first, because if he goes to the KHL we all get to see how he progresses and the Oilers don't lose his rights. Second, because putting the challenge out in front of him, you get to find out whether Omark is confident he can do well in the NHL. If he turns and runs, that's pretty good insight into his confidence no matter how much overzealous fans like yourself choose to ignore it
That's laughabale really. Is this a good management by your understanding? LEt's see Oilers have a prospect who's tearing up a professional league in Europe which happens very rare because this leagues are dominated by vets. Season ends, a prospect wants a deal with Oil. Oil tells him, son, you're way too small for us, you gotta pay your dues in AHL for 50k. And this prospect has an offer for 1,2 mil. He tells Oil, no thanks let's have this conversation again next year when you will have a spot to compete on your team.
And now you say, haha Omark runs away, bust. he has no condfiedence and his game will not translate. What is that? Basically you are happy that a very good prospect slipped from your teams hands because he didn't wanted to play for 50 k in AHL and pay his dues? Great, tough attitude from Oilers management and good old fans like you really.

I can get that you can dislike Omarks actions, but how on the World the fact that Oilers didn't sign their best european prospect is "good for Oil"? No words.

Only good thing is that Oilers as I understood don't lose his rights. thoughm I'm pretty sure he could compete for a roster spot next year.

Garl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 05:58 PM
  #339
Nunymare
Global Moderator
In 11.5% we trust
 
Nunymare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: YEG
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,815
vCash: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Krushelnyski View Post
A few euro players signed just this past season to rookie max contracts that have never played in the NHL:

Detroit Red Wings
Ville Leino
Salary: $875,000

Dallas Stars
Fabian Brunnstrom
Salary: $875,000

Pittsberg Penguins
Janne Pesonen
Salary: $875,000

Toronto Maple Leafs
Nikolai Kulemin
Salary: $850,000 (just shy of rookie max)

No guaranteed roster spots for any of them... but the money is there. So why are other organizations willing to sign 'unproven' talent to those contracts if it's that much of an adverse gamble?
ALL of those are wrong.

Kulemin has played like 70 NHL games.

Nunymare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 06:01 PM
  #340
Lummer20
 
Lummer20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 218
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo View Post
This is really the important thing? Are we 100% sure, cuz if we are... than this really means absolutely nothing. In fact, if he doesn't go back into the draft, then its even better that he is playing in this league. Good development
Irrelevant whether he goes back in or not. He won't play for an org that doesn't want him on the terms he can get elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
i really don't see how this can be spun as anything but a *massive* failure by our management group

Lummer20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 06:04 PM
  #341
stratedge
I rigged the lotto.
 
stratedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,613
vCash: 785
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Moose View Post
And don't you think that Omark's agent, hence Omark himself, knew this as well? He was aware all along that he might end up in AHL. However, based on how he performed, he felt he deserved more than what Reddox (a comparable 4th rounder of the same age in Oilers eyes) is getting payed.
One of these players in your comparison is NHL proven, and one is not.

One of these players purportedly wanted a >$1M cap hit, and the other one only has half that.

One of these players was willing to earn his spot in the NHL and prove himself, and one of them isn't.

These are the areas in which your comparison falls down. Furthermore, you and many others in this thread are sure making some leaping conclusions about the ineptitude of Oilers management. I know that's fashionable and all, these situations with rookie contracts are usually pretty cut and dry... as has been said numerous times now, if the requests by Omark's agent were reasonable, we can safely assume they would have gotten done.

You could argue I'm making leaping conclusions about Omark, but really I think all I'm doing is making the assumption that if Omark had reasonable expectations going into the negotiation, the Oilers would have made it happen. Even in troubling times like these, I give them a little credit.

If you think I'm crazy, why don't we put this debate on hold until solid details of his demands emerge. I'm almost certain the Oilers will spill them to appease fans.

stratedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 06:11 PM
  #342
stratedge
I rigged the lotto.
 
stratedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,613
vCash: 785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garl View Post
BS. First of all if he signed for 1,2 mil in KHL he wasn't demanding 2 mil in NHL.
That's a ridiculous assumption to make. Russia is tax free, and he gets to play with his buddy. Besides, my opinion on him isn't contingent on him wanting $2M... $1M would be the ceiling for me if I were the GM.

Quote:
Second, he put up impressive season in Europe, you think it's a usual thing. There are many players who do that at his age. The answer is no.
Oh! Well then! Hand the little guy the keys to the vault! He's a sure thing!

Quote:
Ridiculous. How do you know if he is ready or not? By watching youtube videos?
No, I know it because a bunch of experienced hockey professionals and scouts decided it, and I have a modicum of respect for their opinion left. Watching his play in the videos on youtube was just the first indication. Go ahead, look at my post history; before any of this ever came to pass I said after watching his 'full period shift videos' that the tactics he was using to much success in the SEL would never translate in the NHL. It was after the fact that the Oilers seem to have agreed with me.

Just curious... how did you decide he is ready, exactly?


Quote:
I can get that you can dislike Omarks actions, but how on the World the fact that Oilers didn't sign their best european prospect is "good for Oil"? No words.
Jeez, you really fail at reading comprehension, don't you? READ CAREFULLY: THE OILERS RETAIN HIS RIGHTS. So we get to see him play at a higher level, with bigger guys, and see how well his game translates. Free of charge. If he does well, the Oilers can bring him back and give him the full contract with all the bonuses. It's win/win really.

Quote:
Only good thing is that Oilers as I understood don't lose his rights. thoughm I'm pretty sure he could compete for a roster spot next year.
So you tell me now, what damage has come of this? How is this a bad thing? You think he was going to jump into the top 6 next year and carry this team to a stanley cup on his little shoulders?

stratedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 06:12 PM
  #343
Philly85
Raps'
 
Philly85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 13,012
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratedge View Post
No, I'm quite happy and owe Omark a thanks. The fans here love to go bat **** crazy about every little prospect we have somewhere who gets a shoot out goal on youtube. I just don't suffer from the same delusions.

When a small player runs away from a team with nearly every top 6 forward below 6 feet tall, you know he has confidence issues. All the Oilers would have to say is "look at Gagner, that could be you... but we're not going to guarentee you an NHL spot, you have to earn it like everyone else".

The weak run away and the strong take on the challenge. What we basically know now, in hindsight, is that Omark doesn't think Omark will make it in the NHL.
Tha stats don't lie.

D'company he's with at his age with those numbers in tha SEL is undeniable.

This is not about youtube sensations or shootout supremes.

Edmonton Oilers are in crisis mode as an organization.

Desperate calls for desperate measures.

In dire need of a diamond in tha ruff, a shot in thee arm.

He is a valuable asset, a very gifted young player with potential.

Size shouldn't be an issue, cuz if he's better at this very moment then playaz such as Cogs/Bobby Nils & even maybe Gags, plus has more upside long term, it's an easy decision to make.

Trade Cogliano & Nilsson, bring Omark in. This team needs an image makeover anyways, they stale as **** ATM.

Even then, if y'all see an adjustment period is so necessuury, slap him on the 3rd or 4th line and let the kid work his way up.

Zetterberg took 4 years to get to where he is now. Worked his ass up from the 4th line, developed tha kid slowly and nurtured him.

Now look at him, bobbin' and weavin'. Conn Smythe chillin'.

Oilers are turnin into a bush league organization and need to take a chance.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 06:16 PM
  #344
windowlicker
Registered User
 
windowlicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Murky Wisconsin
Country: United States
Posts: 2,182
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratedge View Post
READ CAREFULLY: THE OILERS RETAIN HIS RIGHTS.
Not that I distrust you, but has this been proven? Anyone have a source on this?

windowlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 06:16 PM
  #345
Fourier
Registered User
 
Fourier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Waterloo Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,140
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
you could be right, in fact you probably are (since you seem to know the CBA pretty well in all other aspects i'm inclined to believe you on this matter).... the problem is that he signed a 2 year deal that takes him from 2009-10 to 2010-11.... the current CBA expires after the 2010-11 season, whos to say that the new CBA will still have the same rules? also, the IIHF and the NHL coudl sign a transfer deal *tomorrow* for all we know, which would also affect our "rights" when it comes to omark

i really don't see how this can be spun as anything but a *massive* failure by our management group
It's a very complicated situation!

At the very best the Oilers have some damage control to deal with.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 06:18 PM
  #346
Fourier
Registered User
 
Fourier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Waterloo Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,140
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by windowlicker View Post
Not that I distrust you, but has this been proven? Anyone have a source on this?
Proof...no. But the evidence is very much pointing in this direction.

See here

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=546690

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 06:18 PM
  #347
stratedge
I rigged the lotto.
 
stratedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,613
vCash: 785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
Tha stats don't lie.

D'company he's with at his age with those numbers in tha SEL is undeniable.

This is not about youtube sensations or shootout supremes.

Edmonton Oilers are in crisis mode as an organization.

Desperate calls for desperate measures.

In dire need of a diamond in tha ruff, a shot in thee arm.

He is a valuable asset, a very gifted young player with potential.

Size shouldn't be an issue, cuz if he's better at this very moment then playaz such as Cogs/Bobby Nils & even maybe Gags, plus has more upside long term, it's an easy decision to make.

Trade Cogliano & Nilsson, bring Omark in. This team needs an image makeover anyways, they stale as **** ATM.

Even then, if y'all see an adjustment period is so necessuury, slap him on the 3rd or 4th line and let the kid work his way up.

Zetterberg took 4 years to get to where he is now. Worked his ass up from the 4th line, developed tha kid slowly and nurtured him.

Now look at him, bobbin' and weavin'. Conn Smythe chillin'.

Oilers are turnin into a bush league organization and need to take a chance.


For the people who think the Oilers should have signed Omark at whatever cost: this is the kind of company y'all have in that thurrr position.

stratedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 06:28 PM
  #348
stratedge
I rigged the lotto.
 
stratedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,613
vCash: 785
Quote:
Originally Posted by windowlicker View Post
Not that I distrust you, but has this been proven? Anyone have a source on this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryJ99 View Post
By reading those articles it sure sounds like the Defected Player status would be in place especially in this artcile...http://sportsking.stats.com/nhl/stor...f=hea&tm=&src=



At least until either the NHLPA wins its grievance or a transfer agreement is put in place.
I'm going by this. I've read into it, and I agree with MerryJ99s conclusion; until something changes, as it stands the Oilers should retain his rights.

I also don't envision this changing with any future CBA, because it would open up too many loopholes. There's a certain logic to the idea that if you draft a player and he goes to Russia instead, he can't just return to the NHL and play for someone else. Dropping this would cause all kinds of problems for the league.

stratedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 06:30 PM
  #349
Real_Estate-Agent
Registered User
 
Real_Estate-Agent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,744
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post

Oilers have enough SMUFS!!!
What in the world is a SMUF..........

And how many is too many....

Real_Estate-Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 06:32 PM
  #350
Riddarn
1980-2011
 
Riddarn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Country: Sweden
Posts: 9,160
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
Zetterberg took 4 years to get to where he is now. Worked his ass up from the 4th line, developed tha kid slowly and nurtured him.

Now look at him, bobbin' and weavin'. Conn Smythe chillin'.
Zetterberg played with Draper, McCarty and Maltby? I'm pretty sure I remember that he winged both Yzerman, Fedorov and Datsyuks that year..

Riddarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:24 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.