HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Dynamo Moscow signs Omark and Harju

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-08-2009, 06:35 PM
  #351
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,672
vCash: 500
TSN has picked up the story.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=274296

Quote:
Linus Omark has decided to play in Russia next season and has accepted a two-year contract with Moscow Dynamo.
The deal will pay him $1.2 million in year one and $1.4 million in the second year. The contract has an escape clause for Omark after year one, should he want to come to North America.
Omark's agent Jared Bousquet and the Oilers were in negotioations, and according to Bousquet, the Oilers made a very fair offer, but simply couldn't compete with the money available in Russia.
Omark caused stir when a highlight of a shootout goal he scored against Switzerland was posted on YouTube.
He was originally a fourth round draft pick (97th overall) by the Edmonton Oilers in the 2007 NHL Entry draft.
Omark is one of the top scorers in the Swedish Elite League this season with Luela, racking up 23 goals and 32 assists in 53 games. He is also slated to play for Sweden at the upcoming World Hockey Championship in Switzerland.

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 06:39 PM
  #352
stratedge
Rebuild, year 4...
 
stratedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,224
vCash: 50
Quote:
Omark's agent Jared Bousquet and the Oilers were in negotioations, and according to Bousquet, the Oilers made a very fair offer, but simply couldn't compete with the money available in Russia.

Gee, who could have seen that coming?



stratedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 06:43 PM
  #353
Philly85
Moody'
 
Philly85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 11,977
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddarn View Post
Zetterberg played with Draper, McCarty and Maltby? I'm pretty sure I remember that he winged both Yzerman, Fedorov and Datsyuks that year..
That was Datsyuk.

Zetterberg entered tha league as a 22/23 year old. He may have played with tha big guns on occasion (PP time & whatnot) but tha majority of his time in his first 2 years was spent playing bottom 6 role.

And even then, the depth of those Red Wings squads was ridiculous, stars we're getting mixed throughout the lineup, so it's a possibility Zetterberg played with Yzerman tha Gawd and Federov on occasion.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 06:44 PM
  #354
trexall
Registered User
 
trexall's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 263
vCash: 500
This is what this useless organization is all about. They let a great prospect get away, Who cares about 1.4 million a year when hor *******^*U^* coff is getting 7. Omark was the only thing I was looking forward to next season and I honestly thought we would get it done, and sign this guy no matter what.This would make up for at least some of the crap us fans have had to endure this season. Now this guy will tear up the RSL and sign with another NHL team thereafter. We are a hole. The city is a hole, no one with elite talent looks forward to coming here. The only prospect looking forward to coming here signs in Siberia. What does this say about our managements ability to get it done. I have been watching this team religiously for 24 years. I think It's about time cut the losses and realize the Edmonton Oilers are the pig farm of the NHL and we will NEVER have sustained excellence again. I was so excited aout this guy and the fans get f*&^** over by our management again.!


BULLS*&^!

trexall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 06:44 PM
  #355
Philly85
Moody'
 
Philly85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 11,977
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratedge View Post


For the people who think the Oilers should have signed Omark at whatever cost: this is the kind of company y'all have in that thurrr position.
Not at whatever cost, but they should've guaranteed him a roster spot and made tha room, especially when they're loaded with fringe NHL'ers such as Reddox, Stortini, Pouliot, Moreau & Brodziak.

They coulda made it happen, I ain't fully convinced it was a monetary issue.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 06:45 PM
  #356
HFPM
Registered User
 
HFPM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Leduc...
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,642
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to HFPM
Omark's agent Jared Bousquet and the Oilers were in negotioations, and according to Bousquet, the Oilers made a very fair offer, but simply couldn't compete with the money available in Russia.

HFPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 06:45 PM
  #357
dashingsilverfox*
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Paradise
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,652
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone View Post
Yup, similar to what Hudler has done this year.

That's what you can afford to do with a lot of quality vets in your lineup.
Now, if only we can get some of those.

dashingsilverfox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 06:46 PM
  #358
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
That was Datsyuk.

Zetterberg entered tha league as a 22/23 year old. He may have played with tha big guns on occasion (PP time & whatnot) but tha majority of his time in his first 2 years was spent playing bottom 6 time.

And even then, the depth of those Red Wings squads was ridiculous, stars we're getting mixed throughout the lineup, so it's a possibility Zetterberg played with Yzerman tha Gawd and Federov on occasion.
Yup, similar to what Hudler has done this year.

That's what you can afford to do with a lot of quality vets in your lineup.

__________________
TheSpecialist - MacT thinks he was that good of a hockey player when in actuality he was no better then a Louie Debrusk.
dawgbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 06:47 PM
  #359
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by trexall View Post
This is what this useless organization is all about. They let a great prospect get away, Who cares about 1.4 million a year when hor *******^*U^* coff is getting 7. Omark was the only thing I was looking forward to next season and I honestly thought we would get it done, and sign this guy no matter what.This would make up for at least some of the crap us fans have had to endure this season. Now this guy will tear up the RSL and sign with another NHL team thereafter. We are a hole. The city is a hole, no one with elite talent looks forward to coming here. The only prospect looking forward to coming here signs in Siberia. What does this say about our managements ability to get it done. I have been watching this team religiously for 24 years. I think It's about time cut the losses and realize the Edmonton Oilers are the pig farm of the NHL and we will NEVER have sustained excellence again. I was so excited aout this guy and the fans get f*&^** over by our management again.!


BULLS*&^!
Horcoff isn't getting $7mil a year.

dawgbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 06:48 PM
  #360
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
Not at whatever cost, but they should've guaranteed him a roster spot and made tha room, especially when they're loaded with fringe NHL'ers such as Reddox, Stortini, Pouliot, Moreau & Brodziak.

They coulda made it happen, I ain't fully convinced it was a monetary issue.
Why would you guarantee him a roster spot without having any sort of idea on if he can play at the NHL level?

The idea behind it is if he can play, great he plays. If he can't there's the AHL where he can get used to the North American game.

Imagine if they "guarantee" him a roster spot and he comes over and can't handle the play at the NHL level... what then?

dawgbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 06:50 PM
  #361
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashingsilverfox View Post
Now, if only we can get some of those.
No doubt. Hard to work guys through like Detroit does when they do 1 player a year and you do 5.

dawgbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 06:51 PM
  #362
Schitzo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,617
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by trexall View Post
This is what this useless organization is all about. They let a great prospect get away, Who cares about 1.4 million a year when hor *******^*U^* coff is getting 7
BULLS*&^!
The league cares about 1.4 million. The rookie max is $875,000.

Schitzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 06:53 PM
  #363
Q038
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Edm
Country: Canada
Posts: 610
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone View Post
Horcoff isn't getting $7mil a year.
horc makes 7 next year, 6.5 the next, 6.5 the next, 6 the next

Q038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 06:55 PM
  #364
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q038 View Post
horc makes 7 next year, 6.5 the next, 6.5 the next, 6 the next
Then 4 and 3.

Nowhere does that equal $7mil/year.

dawgbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 06:56 PM
  #365
Mike Krushelnyski
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 426
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by copperandblue View Post
The argument isn't about paying a guy that has yet to play in NA. The argument is about paying the max to a 4th round draft pick.

Particularily if the Oilers still end up with his NHL rights when all is said and done, that argument becomes even stronger.

The guys you listed were able to shop themselves to highest bidder (rookie max) and then choose a team based on those that made the offer. The price is naturally going to be inflated, just like veteran UFA's get more than they are usually worth.

Can you come up with an example of a 4th rounder that was offered the max? Honest question, if there are examples out there then obviously I would have to reconsider my stance.
Kevin Porter (Phx)
2004 Draft - 4th round, 119th overall
Salary: $895,000

Nathan Gerbe (Buf)
2005 Draft - 5th round, 142 overall
Salary: $850,000

Jan Mursak (Det)
2006 Draft - 6th round, 182 overall
Salary: $793,500 (not rookie max but close enough)

So there are precedents...

Mike Krushelnyski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 07:00 PM
  #366
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Krushelnyski View Post
Kevin Porter (Phx)
2004 Draft - 4th round, 119th overall
Salary: $895,000

Nathan Gerbe (Buf)
2005 Draft - 5th round, 142 overall
Salary: $850,000

Jan Mursak (Det)
2006 Draft - 6th round, 182 overall
Salary: $793,500 (not rookie max but close enough)

So there are precedents...
Again, it depends on the bonus levels. Portrer has an $88,000 bonus in one year and a $50,000 bonus in the 2nd.

Nathan Gerbe has no bonuses.

Jan Mursak makes $646,111 as a base salary

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/team.php?team=DET

I think it has little to do with the base salary in general, but instead the overall contract including bonuses, which makes a big difference.

dawgbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 07:03 PM
  #367
dashingsilverfox*
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Paradise
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,652
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone View Post
No doubt. Hard to work guys through like Detroit does when they do 1 player a year and you do 5.
I hear Vermette, Gratton and Derek Morris were recently available.

dashingsilverfox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 07:05 PM
  #368
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashingsilverfox View Post
I hear Vermette, Gratton and Derek Morris were recently available.
I see 1 quality vet listed... Detroit tends to roll with at least 8 or 9 of them on forward alone.

dawgbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 07:08 PM
  #369
dashingsilverfox*
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Paradise
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,652
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone View Post
I see 1 quality vet listed... Detroit tends to roll with at least 8 or 9 of them on forward alone.
Depends on your definition of quality I guess.

If it's Detroit quality you might as well turn out the lights at Rexall and leave them off for good.

dashingsilverfox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 07:11 PM
  #370
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashingsilverfox View Post
Depends on your definition of quality I guess.
Well guys who don't suck as much as Gratton and Morris.

Quote:
If it's Detroit quality you might as well turn out the lights at Rexall and leave them off for good.
Well in that case it's pointless to look for anything else.

dawgbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 07:17 PM
  #371
dashingsilverfox*
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Paradise
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,652
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone View Post
Well guys who don't suck as much as Gratton and Morris.



Well in that case it's pointless to look for anything else.
Who would you suggest?

dashingsilverfox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 07:18 PM
  #372
TheSpecialist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 894
vCash: 500
If I was either of these players, I sure as hell wouldn't sign with the Oilers until I knew the team was in search of a new coach. The prospects of developing into a better player are far greater in Russia then playing under MacTavish.

TheSpecialist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 07:18 PM
  #373
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSpecialist View Post
If I was either of these players, I sure as hell wouldn't sign with the Oilers until I knew the team was in search of a new coach. The prospects of developing into a better player are far greater in Russia then playing under MacTavish.
Into a better real player, or a better flashier player?

If it's A, you are sadly mistaken.

dawgbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 07:23 PM
  #374
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashingsilverfox View Post
Who would you suggest?
That this is not a quick fix and that the Oilers (When they decided to roll with 12 rookies in the last 3 years) know that.

There is little sense now in going out and acquiring these guys... you've already spent money (and wins) in playing guys like Gagner, Cogliano, Nilsson, Gilbert, Grebs, etc...

The plan now (if you want to model Detroit) is to grow with these guys until they are vets, then work in the 1 or 2 young players every year and replace one of the older guys as you go.

Much like Detroit has done with guys like Fedorov, Shanahan, Yzerman and Chelios.

dawgbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 07:25 PM
  #375
Seachd
Registered User
 
Seachd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: The Fail
Posts: 13,362
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemskyforpm View Post
Omark's agent Jared Bousquet and the Oilers were in negotioations, and according to Bousquet, the Oilers made a very fair offer, but simply couldn't compete with the money available in Russia.
But it's not about the money...

Right.

Seachd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:18 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.