HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bobby Smith as GM?

Old
03-26-2009, 02:30 PM
WeezyHabFan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chehabi View Post
I was thinking he might make a good GM if we replace Gainey.

He's a former Hab who was a big part of the 1989 team that made it to the finals. He has 4 seasons experience with Phoenix.

They made the playoffs every season despite not having a big payroll. He did the Zhamnov for Roenick deal. He was only fired when Wayne Gretzky bought a share of the team. The knock on him was that he drafted really poorly.

But drafting is not the GM's main job. He should leave for the director of player personnel or whatever. The GM should focus on managing the NHL team.

IMO Gainey has lost it. Dallas knew that and that's why they fired him despite the success he had before.
You forgot the

WeezyHabFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 08:31 PM
hockeyworld

Piette

Anyone know what kind of kid Piette is? Heard he is getting some attention. Is he a good character kid?

hockeyworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 08:32 PM
m00ks

If he can prevent injuries from happening in a season then sign me up!

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 09:22 AM
lxzred

Quote:
Give me a name! Who is this guy with a lot of experience as GM that you are all talking about?!

I didn't say he would be good because he was a former player. That's just something extra.

Smith was GM for 3 years and he made a lot of good moves to keep his team competitive.
I've heard about this Guy Bob Gainey, I hear he has many years of experience as both a GM and a coach, he even has a good track record.

lxzred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 09:32 AM
Go Habs Go

Quote:

He's a former Hab who was a big part of the 1989 team that made it to the finals. He has 4 seasons experience with Phoenix.

They made the playoffs every season despite not having a big payroll. He did the Zhamnov for Roenick deal. He was only fired when Wayne Gretzky bought a share of the team. The knock on him was that he drafted really poorly.

But drafting is not the GM's main job. He should leave for the director of player personnel or whatever. The GM should focus on managing the NHL team.

IMO Gainey has lost it. Dallas knew that and that's why they fired him despite the success he had before.
Why would you make this up? Why should we take you seriously if you resort to making up stories to prove a point. Making up stories to make people believe that Gainey should leave. Yeah sure, the media is the only bad guy

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 06:05 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Habs Go View Post
Why would you make this up? Why should we take you seriously if you resort to making up stories to prove a point. Making up stories to make people believe that Gainey should leave. Yeah sure, the media is the only bad guy
this is the same poster who thought that it was disrespectful the way Theodore stole the starting job from Hackett in 2001 and then called the organization a disgrace for aquiring a backup for Theodore when Hackett ripped his shoulder apart.

Fish on The Sand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 06:51 PM
willalong

Quote:

DRAFTING IS THE G.M's job....what G.M. can you name that does not draft .......he has the final say......Timmons works for Bob Gainey....he sits down with him and his trusty band of scouts and they discuss players as they see them....Gainey will check out the hottest prospects and offer his imput. Tell the scouts what their needs are etc.

Back in 1989 payroll's were not a huge issue.......You always want the guy that is not here......ever notice that......look, look...the grass will be greener if we had that guy or this guy

The motto is "always want the one that isn't here" then when he is here...the blame game will start and you will want the next guy that is not in Montreal

willalong is offline   Reply With Quote