HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

No-touch icing

Old
04-08-2009, 01:54 PM
PavelBure9

vCash: 500
No-touch icing

I was at the game yesterday but didn't notice this but as i'm watching Rangers in 60 right now I've noticed that the players before touching the puck have become complacent and the refs have just called the icing before a player has touched the puck. Am I going nuts here or am i seeing it correctly?

PavelBure9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 02:02 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Your going nuts.

They don't blow it till the puck is touched.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 02:17 PM
ogie

there was one time when staal went down to touch up for icing that the whistle was blown before he touched it. But he was like a foot away and the nearest Hab was about 10. But still something could happen and he could miss the puck and it would've led to a turnover.

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 02:19 PM
DutchShamrock

Hmm, maybe I'm crazy too, but I could have sworn that I heard the puck hitting the post as the Montreal shooter was winding up. I think that the sound was out of sink with the video on my TV, (as opposed to NHLers breaking the laws of physics with slapshots) and if the sound feed was early it would explain the 'early' whistles.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 02:22 PM
SPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchShamrock View Post
Hmm, maybe I'm crazy too, but I could have sworn that I heard the puck hitting the post as the Montreal shooter was winding up. I think that the sound was out of sink with the video on my TV, (as opposed to NHLers breaking the laws of physics with slapshots) and if the sound feed was early it would explain the 'early' whistles.
I noticed the same thing...3rd period.

SPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 02:22 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Anyone think the NHL will take up a no-touch icing policy in the near future?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPG View Post
I noticed the same thing...3rd period.
Clearly the Subway advertisements were causing interference with the audio feed.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 02:30 PM
SPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post

Clearly the Subway advertisements were causing interference with the audio feed.

Those darn Subway ads are the devil!

Old
04-08-2009, 02:32 PM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

Actually what I think you may be noticing is a slight difference between the sound and visual that occasionally comes from telelvision transmission. I'm not technologically savvy enough to explain it but sound and visuals travel at different speeds. I noticed last night a puck shot off the post pinged aboput a half second early right when the shot was leaving the stick. (I don't remember the shot but it was at the 7th Ave. end of The Garden)

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 03:02 PM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

There was at least one point last night where the ref blew the whistle before the player touched the puck. The player's stick was at least a foot away from the puck when the whistle blew. There were no opposing players in sight, so it was a clear icing.

Honestly, I did noticed it and thought it was weird, but didn't really care as the other team was nowhere near the puck and there was really no need to wait.

Thordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 03:05 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogie View Post
there was one time when staal went down to touch up for icing that the whistle was blown before he touched it. But he was like a foot away and the nearest Hab was about 10. But still something could happen and he could miss the puck and it would've led to a turnover.
I noticed that.

I also noticed (and did a slow motion replay) that a Hab blatantly threw a puck in the stands when he was still in the D zone.

Should have been 2 minutes. Not that the Rangers would have done anything with it though so it really doesnt matter.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 03:12 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
If someone somewhere gets seriously hurt, yes, otherwise no.

I'd like to give the opportunity for the ref to call an automatic icing if he feels it's clearly going to be touched. I'd also like to see icing enforced during PPs or at the least, defensive zone icing. The flinging the puck down the ice from deep in your own zone kills the PP and it's a drain on the game. Watching a guy take his time skating down the rink just to touch the puck, stand behind his net, let his teammates get set, then start the play up ice again, from a fans perspective you just totally killed the tempo and excitement.

Make the PKers work to get the puck out of the zone, they took a penalty, now deal with it. No more of this, get to the rebound and fling it. I bet 2nd period penalties would go WAY down.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 03:13 PM
SPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post

I'd like to give the opportunity for the ref to call an automatic icing if he feels it's clearly going to be touched. I'd also like to see icing enforced during PPs or at the least, defensive zone icing. The flinging the puck down the ice from deep in your own zone kills the PP and it's a drain on the game. Watching a guy take his time skating down the rink just to touch the puck, stand behind his net, let his teammates get set, then start the play up ice again, from a fans perspective you just totally killed the tempo and excitement.

Make the PKers work to get the puck out of the zone, they took a penalty, now deal with it. No more of this, get to the rebound and fling it. I bet 2nd period penalties would go WAY down.
umm.... yeah, that's the point. It's why it's called "Penalty Killing"

Old
04-08-2009, 03:26 PM
thesnake

Quote:

If you want to increase scoring in the league, this is the way to do it...

thesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 03:44 PM
Banks3rdLineCenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguinetti 34567 View Post
I was at the game yesterday but didn't notice this but as i'm watching Rangers in 60 right now I've noticed that the players before touching the puck have become complacent and the refs have just called the icing before a player has touched the puck. Am I going nuts here or am i seeing it correctly?
I noticed that the refs seemed to be blowing the whistle a couple of seconds before the puck was touched. Like someone else said, I attributed it to the sound being a little bit out of sync.

Banks3rdLineCenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 06:14 PM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

Quote:
Doubt it. Kurtis Foster (of the Wild) sustained a badly broken fibia last year when he got slammed by a San Jose player and it doesn't seemd to have resonated. He was out of hockey almost a year.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 07:59 PM
vladmyir111

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Actually what I think you may be noticing is a slight difference between the sound and visual that occasionally comes from telelvision transmission. I'm not technologically savvy enough to explain it but sound and visuals travel at different speeds. I noticed last night a puck shot off the post pinged aboput a half second early right when the shot was leaving the stick. (I don't remember the shot but it was at the 7th Ave. end of The Garden)
hehe no they don't, it's all a bunch of electrical bursts representing 1s and 0s traveling at the speed of light over your cable line.

edit: unless you're talking about the actual taking in of the a/v on the scene, but even then sound travels quite fast enough for it to be in sync when were talking about a distance of a few hundred feet. Probably just a glitch in the processor of the camera or somewhere else down the production line.

vladmyir111 is offline   Reply With Quote