HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

2009 NHL Draft Guides (FC, ISS, McKeen's, RLR & THN)

Old
04-07-2009, 01:49 AM
Canadian

vCash: 500
2009 NHL Draft Guides (FC, ISS, McKeen's, RLR & THN)

Since Habsfan18 has started the THN Draft Preview 09 thread, I'm going to go ahead and start a thread regarding the 2009 NHL Draft Guides, so Habsfan18's thread isn't going to be bombarded with comments about other draft guides later on. Below is a list of the available draft guides (that I know of) and their costs.

Future Considerations: 2009 Draft Issue - Electronic Version $10.99 (CDN) (Available via download May 30, 2009)

International Scouting Service: 2009 NHL Draft Guide - Electronic Version $50.00 (CDN); Printed Version $60.00 (CDN) (Shipping or available via e-mail May 25, 2009)

McKeen's Hockey: 2009 Draft Guide - Printed Version $39.99 (USD) (Shipping in the first week of June 2009)

Red Line Report: 2009 Draft Guide - Printed Version $40.00 (USD) (Shipping via first class mail June 4, 2009)

The Hockey News: Draft Preview 2009 - Electronic Version $4.90 (CDN)/$3.99 (USD) (Available May 8, 2009 on Zinio); Printed Version $5.99 (CDN) (Available in stores May 18, 2009)

http://www.futureconsiderations.ca/
http://www.isshockey.com/
http://mckeenshockey.rivals.com/
http://www.redlinereport.com/
http://www.thehockeynews.com/
http://ca.zinio.com/browse/issues/in...kuId=416079395
http://www.zinio.com/browse/issues/i...kuId=416079395

I don't recall the cost of each of the 2008 NHL Draft Guides, but if the cost of each draft guide are correctly stated by Goaliemon89 in the THN, Mckeen's, Red Line, ISS, FC : Which are you getting? thread, the draft guides by ISS and Mckeen's have increased quite significantly since 2008.

Refer to the following thread: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t...you+getting%3F

Also, on the McKeen's Hockey website, two Draft Guide Sampler are available. Refer to the following link:
http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/960/780136.pdf
http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/960/796470.pdf

Last edited by Canadian: 05-29-2009 at 11:54 PM.
Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 02:51 AM
arsmaster

the 5$ for the Hockey News draft preview is all I am willing to spend!

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 04:03 AM
captain AARON MAIDEN*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian View Post
Future Considerations: 2009 Draft Issue
what?

Last edited by captain AARON MAIDEN*: 04-07-2009 at 06:29 AM.
captain AARON MAIDEN* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 04:10 AM
E-Mac

I was under the impression that the $5 FC guide last year was just an introductory rate, and that they'd be raising prices this year. Didn't Cup say something to that effect?

E-Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 10:26 AM
Kirk- NEHJ

Red Line is expensive, but worth it. Their scouts see all the major international tourneys, go to tons of games in all of the major amateur leagues, and have a pretty good track record.

No frills- it comes on red construction paper and there are no pictures, stats, bells and whistles, etc. but you're getting 110 of the top prospects' detailed scouting reports compiled from viewings over the entire season.

Some people don't like Kyle Woodlief's biting remarks and sense of humor in the way that he does some of his pithy one-liners about the players and remarks in the annual "awards" section, but I think it's a sensitivity thing. If you've ever talked to an NHL scout off the record, they can be even nastier when talking about a prospect. The difference is- RLR has no problem going on the record and saying exactly what they think whereas the team scouts won't.

I've subscribed to RLR since 1999-2000 and am happy with the service. It's not for everyone, but if you want to make sure that you're getting reports from guys who have been doing it for a while and are basing their observations on live viewings, then it's worth the dough.

Kirk- NEHJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 10:34 AM
Fozz

For $5, I was very happy with the FC 2008 guide. Very extensive information for that price. I all you want is a guide to learn about all the available prospects, you won't go wrong with that one.

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 11:51 AM
Bulis hit

I don't remember how much it costed, but I don't think McKeen's was so expensive... Anyway, it has GREAT info.

THN is usually cheap. but their info is so so.Since it doesn't cost much, I buy it anyway, just for the sake of reading more about prospects.

Bulis hit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 01:16 PM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

im going to get the mckeens draft issue, im done with anything related to thn and also looking for the tsn (bob mckenzie) draft issue (must reliable out there)

JeromeHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 01:23 PM
Habsfan18

Mckeen's is $40?

Is it any good?

Is it a huge magazine? A little pricey for a magazine, no?

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 02:35 PM
chrisralph007
HFB Partner

So...buying a membership online to McKeens does not give you the draft preview than?

chrisralph007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 02:49 PM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyorr4ever View Post
So...buying a membership online to McKeens does not give you the draft preview than?
i guess not but i dont care i get mckeens for free for the next 2 month or so

i try to cancel my subscription and they give me 3 month free if i didnt cancel it

JeromeHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 07:03 PM
DanStewartFC
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Mac View Post
I was under the impression that the $5 FC guide last year was just an introductory rate, and that they'd be raising prices this year. Didn't Cup say something to that effect?
To answer the above question regarding FC as I write for the magazine. I am not sure if it will remain $5 or if it is going up to like $10 or so but it will be the most comprehensive guide you can get regardless.

Also in anticipation of the 2009 draft the FC website will be running prospect reports of the top 30 from the end of May through to the draft.

The guide should be similar in content to last year although a change in the format is being reviewd as last year it was more a printer freindly format and not so visually appealing. So far I know it will have the full ranking of 150 prospects, profiles on the top 100, a mock draft with insider info on all 30 NHL teams and the look ahead to 2010 and 2011 as well as many more prospect specific articles and draft information.

DanStewartFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 10:07 AM
carcajou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cup View Post
To answer the above question regarding FC as I write for the magazine. I am not sure if it will remain $5 or if it is going up to like $10 or so but it will be the most comprehensive guide you can get regardless.

Also in anticipation of the 2009 draft the FC website will be running prospect reports of the top 30 from the end of May through to the draft.

The guide should be similar in content to last year although a change in the format is being reviewd as last year it was more a printer freindly format and not so visually appealing. So far I know it will have the full ranking of 150 prospects, profiles on the top 100, a mock draft with insider info on all 30 NHL teams and the look ahead to 2010 and 2011 as well as many more prospect specific articles and draft information.
5$ or 10$, I will buy it! Your last guide was awesome!

carcajou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 10:50 AM
Ryan Van Horne
aka Scribe

Send a message via ICQ to Ryan Van Horne Send a message via Skype™ to Ryan Van Horne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian View Post
Since Habsfan18 has started the THN Draft Preview 09 thread, I'm going to go ahead and start a thread regarding the 2009 NHL Draft Guides, so Habsfan18's thread isn't going to be bombarded with comments about other draft guides later on. Below is a list of the available draft guides (that I know of) and their costs.

Future Considerations: 2009 Draft Issue - Electronic Version $??.?? (CDN)

International Scouting Service: 2009 NHL Draft Guide - Electronic Version $50.00 (CDN); Printed Version $60.00 (CDN) (Shipping or available via e-mail May 15, 2009)

McKeen's Hockey: 2009 Draft Guide - Printed Version $39.99 (USD)

Red Line Report: 2009 Draft Guide - Printed Version $40.00 (USD)

The Hockey News: Draft Preview 2009 - Printed Version $??.?? (CDN)/$??.?? (USD)

http://www.futureconsiderations.ca/
http://www.isshockey.com/
http://mckeenshockey.rivals.com/
http://www.redlinereport.com/
http://www.thehockeynews.com/

I don't recall the cost of each of the 2008 NHL Draft Guides, but if the cost of each draft guide are correctly stated by Goaliemon89 in the THN, Mckeen's, Red Line, ISS, FC : Which are you getting? thread, the draft guides by ISS and Mckeen's have increased quite significantly since 2008.

Refer to the following thread: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t...you+getting%3F

Also, on the McKeen's Hockey website, a Draft Guide Sampler is available. Refer to the following link:
http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/960/780136.pdf
Last year, I read the ISS Draft Guide, the Future Considerations Draft Guide (for $5, I figured what the heck and I've read Cup's stuff before and liked it) and The Hockey News (as part of my subscription).

Of the three, I like ISS the best and thought it was worth the money (although last year, it was cheaper than it is this year, I think. FC was definitely a great value. The Hockey News draft preview always leaves me wanting more. I like that they collect opinions from scouts and base their profiles on that, but I wish the issue itself had more content on undrafted prospects and less on team's past draft history, projected needs and such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk- NEHJ View Post
Red Line is expensive, but worth it. Their scouts see all the major international tourneys, go to tons of games in all of the major amateur leagues, and have a pretty good track record.

No frills- it comes on red construction paper and there are no pictures, stats, bells and whistles, etc. but you're getting 110 of the top prospects' detailed scouting reports compiled from viewings over the entire season.

I've subscribed to RLR since 1999-2000 and am happy with the service. It's not for everyone, but if you want to make sure that you're getting reports from guys who have been doing it for a while and are basing their observations on live viewings, then it's worth the dough.
I can't speak for other draft previews, but you can say the same thing about ISS. The ISS report is all text and the focus is on content, not appearance.

Also, despite Woodlief's innaccurate remark in his USA Today draft chat last June (http://transcripts.usatoday.com/Chat...pt.aspx?c=1855), ISS has scouts in rinks in NA and Europe and base their reports on live viewings filed by RinkNet. I've been getting the ISS reports since this scouting service started in 2002 and have spoken to many of their scouts. I can understand why Woodlief would not appreciate the competition ISS has provided, but I can't sit idly by and watch someone perpetuate the myth he started.

ISS does solid work by experienced hockey people and formulate their opinions on sound scouting principles. As with any organization, there are people who have worked for ISS that haven't done good work and they've been let go. (I've learned this from conversations that I've had with ISS people.)

Perhaps the most famous example of this was the female WHL scout who was mentioned in Gare Joyce's book, Future Greats and Heartbreaks.

Ryan Van Horne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 12:45 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribe View Post

I can't speak for other draft previews, but you can say the same thing about ISS. The ISS report is all text and the focus is on content, not appearance.

Also, despite Woodlief's innaccurate remark in his USA Today draft chat last June (http://transcripts.usatoday.com/Chat...pt.aspx?c=1855), ISS has scouts in rinks in NA and Europe and base their reports on live viewings filed by RinkNet. I've been getting the ISS reports since this scouting service started in 2002 and have spoken to many of their scouts. I can understand why Woodlief would not appreciate the competition ISS has provided, but I can't sit idly by and watch someone perpetuate the myth he started.

ISS does solid work by experienced hockey people and formulate their opinions on sound scouting principles. As with any organization, there are people who have worked for ISS that haven't done good work and they've been let go. (I've learned this from conversations that I've had with ISS people.)

Perhaps the most famous example of this was the female WHL scout who was mentioned in Gare Joyce's book, Future Greats and Heartbreaks.
I didn't mention ISS in my post, and I don't think this needs to devolve into a RLR vs. ISS debate. People should be able to make up their own minds without calling one or another publication out, regardless of whether you feel Woodlief is right or not. I know he goes to those tourneys (as does his staff to the big tournaments and smaller ones), so that's what matters to me.

I know both scouting services very well...and I'll leave it at that.

Last edited by Kirk- NEHJ: 04-08-2009 at 04:01 PM.
Kirk- NEHJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 01:15 PM
Ryan Van Horne
aka Scribe

Send a message via ICQ to Ryan Van Horne Send a message via Skype™ to Ryan Van Horne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk- NEHJ View Post
I didn't mention ISS in my post, and I don't think this needs to devolve into a RLR vs. ISS debate. People should be able to make up their own minds without calling one or another publication out, regardless of whether you feel Woodlief is right or not. I know he goes to those tourneys, so that's what matters to me.

I know both scouting services very well...and I'll leave it at that.
Fair enough, Kirk. I know you didn't specifically mention ISS and by no means do I want to derail this thread. I just wanted to make sure you weren't implying something in your remarks. Since you weren't, that's cool and we'll leave it at that.

FWIW, I occasionally enjoy reading Woodlief's stuff, though I don't necessarily subscribe to it.

Cheers.

Ryan Van Horne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 01:49 PM
Habsfan18

What's the quality of the Mckeen's draft preview anyways? Is it magazine format or newspaper format?

I've been thinking of purchasing it this year (since THN has let me down in recent years compared to past years) but $40 for a magazine is ridiculous.

Old
04-08-2009, 04:44 PM
Rags

This is the first year I've gone beyond online searches and THN.

From what i read last year on these boards I liked the comments for McKeen's the most, so that is who I went with.

Also on a side note, when i paid for it, it was $39 CDN (something like $32 USD).

Rags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 12:03 AM
NCPokey

Holy cow, McKeen's is 40 bucks this year? It was like half that when I bought it last year. I did enjoy it, but 40-50 bucks for the big-name mags is a little steep, considering I don't actually work for an NHL club...

I'll probably stick to The Hockey News, Bob McKenzie's free rankings and maybe check out Future Considerations this year.

NCPokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 12:39 AM
Bulis hit

McKeen's online membership is 39$ for a few months I think.. but the mag in itself, I really doubt it is that much...at least last year I don't remember paying that much..

Bulis hit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 12:58 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

ISS has always been the best and gives the most for your money.

As always, i will be getting ISS again.

RLR is the worst by far. I still can't believe i wasted money for that trash in 2005. Horrible.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 11:33 AM
Habsfan18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulis hit View Post
McKeen's online membership is 39$ for a few months I think.. but the mag in itself, I really doubt it is that much...at least last year I don't remember paying that much..
http://mckeenshockey.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=895643

$39.99USD

I think that's absolutely ridiculous. Especially for a 30-40 page magazine.

Old
04-09-2009, 03:12 PM
ALF AmericanLionsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cup View Post

Am I able to buy a copy from the website and ship to US?

ALF AmericanLionsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 05:00 PM
DanStewartFC
HFB Partner

The FC guide will be in printable pdf download only for 2009.

DanStewartFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 11:27 PM
Habsfan18

I just bought the McKeen's guide. It says $39.99USD but when I payed through paypal it said I owed $39.99CAD.

Hope it goes smoothly...

Last edited by Habsfan18: 04-10-2009 at 11:33 PM.