HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Sidney Crosby....5'10" / 175 LBS- Will he get bigger or basically what u see is what

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-09-2004, 05:11 PM
  #1
little a from da bx
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 375
vCash: 500
Sidney Crosby....5'10" / 175 LBS- Will he get bigger or basically what u see is what

undefinedJust wondering a little something about Sidney Crosby. He is listed at 5'11" and 175 lbs, now that is very small for todays NHL, he is 17 but probably still growing usually guys grow till they are like 20 or so.I mean the kid has tremendous potential but will he be able to succeed at the NHL level being that small. Well Im sure he will be succesful, but do you think he will be as dominant considering his size.

Will he be that 90 point a season player, or more a season ,especiallly the way gretz is making him sound, or with his size will he be more of a 60-70 point player. I know its early to say because he is only 17 and isnt even drafted yet. But, from what has been said what do you all think his carreer can be like? I know what u all are gonna say" look at St.Louis and Gionta and York and Gomez ,Comrie, brad richards, even vets like sakic... They are all small, but are having successful carreers, but my main point is the way he dominats the QMJHL, do u think he has the skills to dominate the NHL the same way? I mean in QMJHL he is racking up amazing #'s there, if he could come to the NHL and do the same thing putting up 100 plus points a season, not every season but a constant 90 point player, I think it would do wonders for the NHL. It would make people want to watch more considering they get to see some one like him play.

Thats all, can Crosby dominate at the NHL level the way he has in the QMJHL is the question?

little a from da bx is offline  
Old
09-09-2004, 05:15 PM
  #2
Edge
Registered User
 
Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sin City
Country: United States
Posts: 13,196
vCash: 500
My honest opinion is as follows:

Crosby might be the best prospect in any draft since 1984. He has the potential to be one of the best players in the game, but it's too early to tell how he'll adjust.

I also think he'll end up at around 6'0, 200 ish, maybe even 6'1.

He's not gonna be a giant but he's very shifty and isn't afraid of contact.

Edge is offline  
Old
09-09-2004, 05:21 PM
  #3
little a from da bx
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 375
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
My honest opinion is as follows:

Crosby might be the best prospect in any draft since 1984. He has the potential to be one of the best players in the game, but it's too early to tell how he'll adjust.

I also think he'll end up at around 6'0, 200 ish, maybe even 6'1.

He's not gonna be a giant but he's very shifty and isn't afraid of contact.
in my thread i did state that it is to early to tell ,but, what i am asking is will he be that dominate in the nhl.

and since you say the kid isnt afraid of contact , thats a great thing to hear someone who likes to get involved in some physical play, which if he continues would do great in the hl like u said with him being so swift and shifty which will create lots of opportunities while the physical play can open up ice and he could maybe even get some dirty goals, hope the kid is defensively smart, if not a player like hgim should learn that side of the game and he would be one hell of a player

little a from da bx is offline  
Old
09-09-2004, 05:29 PM
  #4
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,046
vCash: 500
That's pretty aggressive, Edge..

if he is in fact only 5'10" at the age of 17, there's a chance that's about it (heck, I was 5'10 after 9th grade and am still 5'10 (although on some days I feel shorter). I've never seen him so I couldn't begin to project what his frame is like/what it could handle though.

Fletch is online now  
Old
09-09-2004, 05:32 PM
  #5
LiquidClown
Registered User
 
LiquidClown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Huntsville, Al
Country: Germany
Posts: 6,640
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to LiquidClown Send a message via AIM to LiquidClown
Maybe someone should pass along this link to him

http://www.growtaller.net/

it's only 299 dollars and if he's going to get picked #1 it's not even pocket change.

LiquidClown is offline  
Old
09-09-2004, 05:43 PM
  #6
Edge
Registered User
 
Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sin City
Country: United States
Posts: 13,196
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
if he is in fact only 5'10" at the age of 17, there's a chance that's about it (heck, I was 5'10 after 9th grade and am still 5'10 (although on some days I feel shorter). I've never seen him so I couldn't begin to project what his frame is like/what it could handle though.
I'd say he's a lot closer to 5'11 from what I've seen. He's got a good 4 years of growing potential ahead of him and regardless of whether he grows another inch he's probably going to be at least 190ish at his peak. So saying 6'0 200ish isn't really that much of a stretch.

From a frame standpoint he reminds me a little of Alyn McCauly.

Edge is offline  
Old
09-09-2004, 11:33 PM
  #7
DA LONE RANGER
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 8
vCash: 500
Outlook on Sidney Crosby

Every year we hear the same thing this is the best guy in the last ten years to come out in the draft.. this is the same thing we said this year with ovechkin coming out...out of the last 3 or 4 years of the draft i hear about these great prospects the best i have seen is Kovalchuk and Heatley until you get out on the ice in the nhl no telling what could happen. I have the dish and i would the world hockey tournament i did see the russians and a bit of ovechkin he has speed and hands.. But he din look like mario or gretz to me we just have to wait until the season to see what he does... Same goes for crosby an i wouldn't worry about his height look a St. Louis for tampa

DA LONE RANGER is offline  
Old
09-10-2004, 02:07 AM
  #8
Edge
Registered User
 
Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sin City
Country: United States
Posts: 13,196
vCash: 500
Well that is the media hype that some of these guys get.

I never said Ovechkin was the next great phenom like some. I think he is a dang good player, but too many people throw the "best in X-years" line out there.

I'd say from a potential standpoint he's probably the best since Mario. Having said that there are indeed no gurantees.

Hockey keeps looking for it's next demigod. Lindros, Daigle, Spezza, Ovechkin.

But I do think kid has a legit shot to be the best in the game. At the very least some team will be very lucky to get a player who would even have a shot at being one of the best.

Edge is offline  
Old
09-10-2004, 05:07 AM
  #9
Ola
Registered User
 
Ola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 17,269
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
My honest opinion is as follows:

Crosby might be the best prospect in any draft since 1984. He has the potential to be one of the best players in the game, but it's too early to tell how he'll adjust.

I also think he'll end up at around 6'0, 200 ish, maybe even 6'1.

He's not gonna be a giant but he's very shifty and isn't afraid of contact.
I made a trip to Finland to watch the WJC last christmas and got to see Crosby play for the first time. It feels like it will be one of thoose trips you will remember for ever, I had seen Ovechkin live before but Crosby was a thrill to watch and I admaire him.

But I donīt think there is a point in calling him the best prospect since 84ī, because that doesnīt say all that much IMO. The kid is only 17 y/o and has a incredible amount of miles ahead of him before he can be a dominant player in the NHL. Iīve seen many great players at the age of 17 who didnīt develop one iota the next 10 years. However I am convinced that Crosby will be a good player in the NHL, like Ovechkin and Kovalchuk but I would never bet on that he will become a superstar or the dominant force. He is byfar the best 16 y/o Iīve ever seen but I also think that he has a celling in the neighborhood of Joe Sakic, not Gretsky/Lemiuxe/Lindros(in his prime)/Jagr/Forsberg. One can argue that Sakic has been by far the most consistent and has been more valuble for a long period of time then the last 3 I mentioned but Sakic was never as dominant in his prime as they were and I donīt expect Crosby to be that kind of player either.

Ola is offline  
Old
09-10-2004, 08:45 AM
  #10
NYR469
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 5,785
vCash: 500
crosby just turned 17 so he still has time to grow and fill-out...but even at his current size he is said to be very strong on the puck and most have been surprised how strong he actually is...

i've seen his style of play compared to forsberg, but while everyone compares him to gretzky, i've heard people say that he is actually closer to a young messier in terms of the way he plays...

so i really don't see his size being a problem, his skill level is too high...put a bigger winger next to him to create some space and he'll be fine.

NYR469 is offline  
Old
09-10-2004, 02:40 PM
  #11
Chief
Registered User
 
Chief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: NY, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,825
vCash: 500
Obviously, no one knows how good Crosby will be - but there is absolutely no reason to think he won't be a dominant force in the NHL.

NYR469: I think Brule has more Messier in him than Crosby. Crosby reminds me of Gretzky and Mario just because he seems to have the inate ability to make scoring chances happen. He has a feel for the game that few do. Other players have a distinct physical skill which makes them successful. You think of P. Bure and you think of his blazing speed and accurate shot. You think of Keith Tkachuk scoring and you picture him muscling his way to the front of the net. Someone like Brett Hull would be in perfect position for a one-timer. But Crosby's success isn't just about a certain skill. It's just a way of thinking the game that is ahead of most everyone else.

BTW - I wish the WHA had its act together because I think the Toronto team had the rights to both Crosby and Kovalchuk. Those two on the same line would have been an incredible show.

Chief is online now  
Old
09-10-2004, 05:02 PM
  #12
Edge
Registered User
 
Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sin City
Country: United States
Posts: 13,196
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola
I made a trip to Finland to watch the WJC last christmas and got to see Crosby play for the first time. It feels like it will be one of thoose trips you will remember for ever, I had seen Ovechkin live before but Crosby was a thrill to watch and I admaire him.

But I donīt think there is a point in calling him the best prospect since 84ī, because that doesnīt say all that much IMO. The kid is only 17 y/o and has a incredible amount of miles ahead of him before he can be a dominant player in the NHL. Iīve seen many great players at the age of 17 who didnīt develop one iota the next 10 years. However I am convinced that Crosby will be a good player in the NHL, like Ovechkin and Kovalchuk but I would never bet on that he will become a superstar or the dominant force. He is byfar the best 16 y/o Iīve ever seen but I also think that he has a celling in the neighborhood of Joe Sakic, not Gretsky/Lemiuxe/Lindros(in his prime)/Jagr/Forsberg. One can argue that Sakic has been by far the most consistent and has been more valuble for a long period of time then the last 3 I mentioned but Sakic was never as dominant in his prime as they were and I donīt expect Crosby to be that kind of player either.
I gotta disagree Sackic was a very dominate player in his prime but he was a quiet one. He also scored the way he did in an era when scoring in the league started to go down the toilet. If anything I don't think Lindros was the one who disappointed in that area. Injuries and other factors lead him to never quite be that top player.

And I gotta stand by my comment about him being the best prospect since 1984. If he puts all the pieces together and fires on all cylinders he is THAT good. Not quite on a level with Wayne or Mario but certainly right up there with Yzerman, Jagr, etc.

Edge is offline  
Old
09-10-2004, 05:36 PM
  #13
NYR469
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 5,785
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief
BTW - I wish the WHA had its act together because I think the Toronto team had the rights to both Crosby and Kovalchuk. Those two on the same line would have been an incredible show.
few things...

1)kovalchuk & crosby were both picked by the toronto franchise, but the toronto franchise is gone cause they couldn't get an arena (quebec was terminated too) making everyone a free agent

2)crosby turned down a 3 year, $7.5 mil offer from hamilton and has zero interest in playing in the WHA even if it started...

NYR469 is offline  
Old
09-10-2004, 05:53 PM
  #14
Steve Latin*
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Thinbonesville
Posts: 1,583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by little a from da bx
undefinedJust wondering a little something about Sidney Crosby. He is listed at 5'11" and 175 lbs, now that is very small for todays NHL, he is 17 but probably still growing usually guys grow till they are like 20 or so.I mean the kid has tremendous potential but will he be able to succeed at the NHL level being that small. Well Im sure he will be succesful, but do you think he will be as dominant considering his size.

Will he be that 90 point a season player, or more a season ,especiallly the way gretz is making him sound, or with his size will he be more of a 60-70 point player. I know its early to say because he is only 17 and isnt even drafted yet. But, from what has been said what do you all think his carreer can be like? I know what u all are gonna say" look at St.Louis and Gionta and York and Gomez ,Comrie, brad richards, even vets like sakic... They are all small, but are having successful carreers, but my main point is the way he dominats the QMJHL, do u think he has the skills to dominate the NHL the same way? I mean in QMJHL he is racking up amazing #'s there, if he could come to the NHL and do the same thing putting up 100 plus points a season, not every season but a constant 90 point player, I think it would do wonders for the NHL. It would make people want to watch more considering they get to see some one like him play.

Thats all, can Crosby dominate at the NHL level the way he has in the QMJHL is the question?
Start counting the seconds until stockwizard invades this thread

S L

Steve Latin* is offline  
Old
09-10-2004, 10:43 PM
  #15
Chief
Registered User
 
Chief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: NY, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,825
vCash: 500
NYR469: I had read that stuff too. Just wishful thinking on my part.

Chief is online now  
Old
09-11-2004, 02:41 PM
  #16
Ola
Registered User
 
Ola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 17,269
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
I gotta disagree Sackic was a very dominate player in his prime but he was a quiet one. He also scored the way he did in an era when scoring in the league started to go down the toilet. If anything I don't think Lindros was the one who disappointed in that area. Injuries and other factors lead him to never quite be that top player.

And I gotta stand by my comment about him being the best prospect since 1984. If he puts all the pieces together and fires on all cylinders he is THAT good. Not quite on a level with Wayne or Mario but certainly right up there with Yzerman, Jagr, etc.
I am not arguing that he is isnīt the best prospect since 84ī,(and that is a reach too since Lindros was pretty scary at the age of 18) only saying that to me that doesnīt mean much. Will he be the best player to play in the NHL of all players drafted since 85ī? I hope so because I love his style but I doubt it. I am not gooing into a debate arguing about Sakic because I love him as a player, what I was trying to say is that I wouldnīt bet on that Crosby will be head and shoulders above the rest of the stars(Kovalchuk/Iginla) in the league. He will no doubt be a great player but so far he has allot of prove but he hasnīt showed me that he is the "nextone".

Ola is offline  
Old
09-11-2004, 09:35 PM
  #17
Edge
Registered User
 
Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sin City
Country: United States
Posts: 13,196
vCash: 500
Well actually you're right and we agree in a sense. I don't think it amounts to a whole lot. With unproven prospects it never does, but it does give an indication of a best possible return.

Edge is offline  
Old
09-12-2004, 01:25 PM
  #18
montreal
Go Habs Go
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Balearic Islands
Posts: 23,296
vCash: 500
With Crosby he's not big, but the kid has very good lower body strength, which should help him stay on his feet. The hype on him is overboard, but having seen him about 10 or so times last year, I was always impressed with his offensive abilities. No doubt whatever team gets him will be hitting a home run so to speak.

montreal is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:16 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. Đ2014 All Rights Reserved.