HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers Sign van Riemsdyk to Entry Level Contract

Old
04-06-2009, 02:14 PM
GoneFullHextall
JR=clueless

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by stafuccijr View Post
My main issue is actually his performance at UNH. He was the 2nd overall pick in the NHL draft and he did not dominate at the NCAA level. I think the 2nd overall pick should be unbeilevable playing against NCAA talent. Thats my problem with JVR, he plays down to the talent level of his opposition. Sounds alot like the Flyers, they sure do know how to pick them.

I still have faith in him though.
this is has been a ongoing arguement on this board about his UNH days. The few that have seen him. myself, Flyhigh ect have given the "reasons" for his numbers being down. He averged over a point a game with subpar linemates. He played out of position. as well.
We give the reasons, and yet they seem to go to a deaf ear on what we see.
Honestly I am done trying to beat a dead horse on his UNH days so thats all I am going to say. He has signed his pro contract and thats all that matters.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 02:21 PM
JSTAFF

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStevensDotCom View Post
this is has been a ongoing arguement on this board about his UNH days. The few that have seen him. myself, Flyhigh ect have given the "reasons" for his numbers being down. He averged over a point a game with subpar linemates. He played out of position. as well.
We give the reasons, and yet they seem to go to a deaf ear on what we see.
Honestly I am done trying to beat a dead horse on his UNH days so thats all I am going to say. He has signed his pro contract and thats all that matters.
Nah i've read all ur posts so I understand how you defend him. Poor line-mates just doesnt justify it and nor does playing out of position. LW-C-RW - if your a 2nd overall pick you should dominate college. That is most likely why people dont pay any attention to what you have to say about him. The kid was just all about partying and having a good time than he was dominating college. Who can blame him, he was already drafted by the ****ing Philadelphia Flyers. Hopefully it doesn't hurt his further development and work ethic, which I believe it might have.

JSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 02:26 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by stafuccijr View Post
Nah i've read all ur posts so I understand how you defend him. Poor line-mates just doesnt justify it and nor does playing out of position. LW-C-RW - if your a 2nd overall pick you should dominate college. That is most likely why people dont pay any attention to what you have to say about him. The kid was just all about partying and having a good time than he was dominating college. Who can blame him, he was already drafted by the ****ing Philadelphia Flyers. Hopefully it doesn't hurt his further development and work ethic, which I believe it might have.
You don't have any evidence to support that, it's libel.

Also, you're totally ignorant about college, Hockey East is a tougher, more physical league than the OHL or the Q. Nobody dominates Hockey East, Matt Gilroy is probably the closest and he's almost 25 years-old.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 02:31 PM
Opus
Boondoggle

vCash: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Also, you're totally ignorant about college, Hockey East is a tougher, more physical league than the OHL or the Q. Nobody dominates Hockey East, Matt Gilroy is probably the closest and he's almost 25 years-old.
I've seen you mention this a few times.

Is there any evidence to support this claim?

I don't follow NCAA hockey, so I really can't comment...but I find that remark intriguing.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 02:37 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
It's really just the nature of college hockey I think. No matter how skilled a player may be, they play much tighter defense in college compared to juniors. That's what I've gathered from watching some college hockey, and just comparing box scores.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 02:44 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
I've seen you mention this a few times.

Is there any evidence to support this claim?

I don't follow NCAA hockey, so I really can't comment...but I find that remark intriguing.
Like Billy said, it's the nature of the beast.

College hockey is definitely more defensive and a lot tighter. There's also a lot of pretty good goalies in the league right now.

Plus, you have guys that are a lot older playing games. I took a random look at 2 rosters, one in the OHL and 1 in Hockey East.

The Niagra Icedogs have 2 guys on their roster who are 20 or above. BC has 18 guys on their roster above 20. There's a big difference playing against 21 year-olds and playing against 18 year-olds.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 03:07 PM
Opus
Boondoggle

vCash: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
It's really just the nature of college hockey I think. No matter how skilled a player may be, they play much tighter defense in college compared to juniors. That's what I've gathered from watching some college hockey, and just comparing box scores.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Like Billy said, it's the nature of the beast.

College hockey is definitely more defensive and a lot tighter. There's also a lot of pretty good goalies in the league right now.

Plus, you have guys that are a lot older playing games. I took a random look at 2 rosters, one in the OHL and 1 in Hockey East.

The Niagra Icedogs have 2 guys on their roster who are 20 or above. BC has 18 guys on their roster above 20. There's a big difference playing against 21 year-olds and playing against 18 year-olds.
Thanks for the replies guys.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 03:31 PM
JSTAFF

I also dont have any evidence to support what I'm saying. I could possibly be ignorant in my acquisations but I still think this kid should be dominating with his size and skill-set playing in the NCAA.

Although im quiet the homer when it comes to sports, when watching professional basketball players miss a free throw it drives me ****ing crazy. how the **** do you miss a FREE throw? the net doesnt move, theres no goalie blocking it, it hasnt changed distance since you were 7' tall in 8th grade. unreal.

JSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 04:19 PM
BerubeBox*

http://www.philly.com/philly/hp/spor...tml?page=1&c=y

Quote:
Ed Moran: Will prospect van Riemsdyk become real deal for Flyers?

EVERY YEAR scouts from around the world compile a list of the best young prospects in hockey. Their evaluations are based on what they see and what they believe is possible.

They write it all up and send it to their employers, and frequently they are dead-on.

Some players make it easy for them. Sidney Crosby is an obvious example.

Other times they are just dead wrong. Does the name Alexandre Daigle ring any bells?

That's not necessarily the fault of the scouts. They are all career hockey people, most are former players, and they can see a player when they look at one.

The problem is the hidden intangibles. Things like heart and drive and toughness and maturity and the ability to see the game at a different speed can't always be accurately judged.

James van Riemsdyk was the Flyers' first-round pick in a year when they earned the second overall pick by finishing last but then coming up short in the lottery.

It wasn't supposed to matter in 2007. The draft class wasn't supposed to be as talent-laden as the one before. In 2006 the top five were Erik Johnson, Jordan Staal, Jonathan Toews, Nicklas Backstrom, and Phil Kessel. And they are all legit NHL players and stars.

Few people thought the draft class of 2007 was going to immediately step into the league the next year. But Patrick Kane and Sam Gagner did, and Kyle Turris and Karl Alzner saw some NHL time and then came in this year.

Van Riemsdyk went to the University of New Hampshire and then declined a suggestion by the Flyers to start his pro career last fall.
Nothing really special there, just that it's what a lot of us have been saying regarding JVR's value vs. Giroux's value. Wonder if that guy reads the board.

Something in the second part of his article (completely OT now) really bugged me.

Quote:
Relax

That was the view from the coach yesterday.

After two losses, a lot of criticism from inside and outside the Flyers' offices all week, John Stevens thinks his team is going into the playoffs "as good as anyone in the conference." Despite the fact that the Flyers still haven't clinched and are tied for fourth with Carolina, which has locked up a playoff spot, Stevens believes his team is in a far better position going into the postseason than last year when they went to the conference final.

His reasoning is they have had the kind of year where they are dictating their own fate and only have to take care of themselves, unlike some of the teams still struggling and wondering if they will play beyond Easter.

"Everybody is scoreboard watching," Stevens said. "We don't have to do that. All we have to do is take care of ourselves. Other teams have to scoreboard watch."

The question is, are the Flyers back-peddling their way into the playoffs instead of going in playing skilled hockey, something they have said they want to do.

It's hard to say that they are coming in looking like a fearsome bunch, given the fact that they lost to a bad Toronto team and lost a point and missed a chance to lock up their spot in the playoffs in the shootout loss to a bad Ottawa team Saturday night.

The Flyers have four games, beginning with playoff-chaser Florida tomorrow night, to earn one point; it would take a collapse of historic proportions for that not to happen. But it would be a lot more convincing if they could win three of those four.

Stevens said last week he was looking at the last seven games as a seven-game series.

If that's the case they trail in the series 2-1.
So just because we managed to scrape up a few more points between October and March, we'll enter the playoffs with a better chance of going deep than we had last year.

What a putz.

Last edited by Opus: 04-06-2009 at 06:05 PM. Reason: quoted story too long.
BerubeBox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 04:40 PM
Jim Schennson
Bros.

If he, or anybody else, thinks we're getting another John LeClair, they haven't been paying attention.

Jim Schennson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 09:03 PM
RJ8812*
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick van Riemsdyk View Post
If he, or anybody else, thinks we're getting another John LeClair, they haven't been paying attention.
FYI, it took LeClair a few seasons to become the player he was

RJ8812* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 09:44 PM
BerubeBox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
Actually all it took was a trade. Pre-trade, he was a clumsy Jekyll who tripped over his own shadow on a regular basis. Post-trade, you can count the number of times he was knocked off his skates on one hand.

BerubeBox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 09:46 PM
ilovetheflyers8

Forget that post I was wrong.

ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2009, 09:54 PM
Jim Schennson
Bros.

Quote:
FYI, I was talking about the types of players they are. JVR isn't LeClair, in style, and I don't think he'll ever be as good as him, in general, either.

Old
04-08-2009, 06:16 PM
catchthesun

JVR just scored 2 minutes into the period tonight. Just thought you guys should know about that.

catchthesun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 07:28 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
nice...jvr on the board!

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 08:18 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
FYI, I was talking about the types of players they are. JVR isn't LeClair, in style, and I don't think he'll ever be as good as him, in general, either.
JVR is far more skilled than LeClair ever was.

If, and its a big if, he reached his potential he will be better than LeClair.

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 10:50 PM
Jim Schennson
Bros.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan View Post
JVR is far more skilled than LeClair ever was.

If, and its a big if, he reached his potential he will be better than LeClair.
That's why I said I don't THINK he'll be as good as LeClair. They're completely different players, and yeah, JVR has more skill/potential, but they shouldn't even be in the same sentence until JVR puts up the equivalent of a 50 goal season, let alone 3 in a row.

Old
04-09-2009, 12:05 AM
phlocky

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerubeBox View Post
Actually all it took was a trade. Pre-trade, he was a clumsy Jekyll who tripped over his own shadow on a regular basis. Post-trade, you can count the number of times he was knocked off his skates on one hand.
Actually, all it took was him getting paired with the most dominant player in the game at that time, Eric Lindros. Sorry but without Lindros John LeClair would have been nothing more than a streaky Mike Knuble. That's not a bad player but that's also not a 50 goal scorer either.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 12:10 AM
phlocky

Quote:
That's why I said I don't THINK he'll be as good as LeClair. They're completely different players, and yeah, JVR has more skill/potential, but they shouldn't even be in the same sentence until JVR puts up the equivalent of a 50 goal season, let alone 3 in a row.

If you use McFly's Delorien and go back and pick up Eric Lindros from the time he carried the Legion of Doom to the finals and put him with a 25 year old JVR for 7 years and JVR would make LeClair look average.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 01:23 PM
GoneFullHextall
JR=clueless

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
Actually, all it took was him getting paired with the most dominant player in the game at that time, Eric Lindros. Sorry but without Lindros John LeClair would have been nothing more than a streaky Mike Knuble. That's not a bad player but that's also not a 50 goal scorer either.
Lindros missed 30 games in 96/97 and Leclair still scored 50 goals.
Lindros missed 19 games in 97/98 and Leclair still scored 51 goals.

just sayin.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 02:30 PM
FlyLife
Nuthin but a G Thang

Here is JVR's goal and assist from last nights game:

Edit: And I'm an idiot, I put them out of order

FlyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 02:30 PM
mja
Negative Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStevensDotCom View Post
Lindros missed 30 games in 96/97 and Leclair still scored 50 goals.
Lindros missed 19 games in 97/98 and Leclair still scored 51 goals.

just sayin.
Heck, 97/98 Chris Gratton was Leclair's even strength center most of the season.

mja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 02:32 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Leclaire is still a different player from JVR. Leclaire got by on his cannon of a shot and muscle.

JVR uses his slick hands and passing

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 02:48 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Wow JVR was motoring then. Who said this kid couldn't skate?

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote