HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Scott Hartnell

Old
04-09-2009, 03:36 PM
captainpaxil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
Briere CAN be moved but it has to be to a team that has a fair bit of free cap space. He IS a PPG center and he IS a true #1 center, 6.5 mil might be a little high for him but not too much. He'd probably be the best center on about half the teams in the league and many would love to add him to their roster. However, because of the LENGTH of his contract, I doubt the Flyers could expect much more than a 2nd for him in return.
the 2nd overall? id do that but if it was any other first youd have to add a serious prospect. bad deal or no you dont get point per game players for peanuts. briere is having an off year this year due to injury and hes still in the company of phil kessell and derick brassard. if you look to last year it was ryan whitney and marian hossa. what woudl be a fair offer for those players? then you give less due to the bad contract.

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 03:54 PM
Flinch*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
Mid-level prospects? Seriously?

His contract is not an issue, he brings a whole lot to this team, and we have no reason to trade him. There are plenty of other candidates for trading because of cap reasons that make a lot more sense than him. Mainly Lupul and Jones, and maybe even Carle.

People need to wake up and smell the coffee, Hartnell is a 30 goal 30 assist player who brings almost every intangible you would ever want to a hockey team. His return would never be limited because of his contract, I'd even say he has a good contract. Look at some guys making more than him. He does more for the team than they do. Malone, Michalek, Legwand, Langkow, Nylander, Huselius, Rolston, Weight, Erat, Penner, Gomez, Drury, I can go all day!!!
I wanted my team's GM to take a stab at him in free agency so bad before Philly traded for him.

He's a hell of a player and he's like your prototypical Philly style player.

<3 Fartsmell.

Flinch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 04:06 PM
mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by KewlBum View Post
I will be refering to this post a year from now.
Shouldn't you be revisiting it after Hartnell retires, considering you said that he'd NEVER hit the same amount of points again?

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 04:12 PM
mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Not every team though has a team full of players with big money one-way contracts right now running thru the 2010/11 season (not saying the Flyers do as I haven't really looked into the Flyers cap situation that far ahead).
I think the Players Association accepts a salary percentage cut before they accept a lower hard cap. That would RUIN their future earnings via free agency.

Old
04-09-2009, 04:26 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by KewlBum View Post
50 bucks says he'll never have better numbers then this season

So how do you come up with this? Is it based on him topping his best career totals this year or is it the fact that he has to play on a line with Carter? Cause those are both pretty stupid reasons man. He'll have better seasons than this one.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 12:06 PM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club View Post
So how do you come up with this? Is it based on him topping his best career totals this year or is it the fact that he has to play on a line with Carter? Cause those are both pretty stupid reasons man. He'll have better seasons than this one.
No sense in arguing with someone about Hartnell's numbers. People like that poster miss the fact that its not about the numbers with Scottie. It doesn't matter whether Harntell every reaches those numbers again or not. Much like Backes from St. Louis, his value goes far deeper than just the points he puts up. Anyone who actually watches hockey and understands the game knows this fact. The ones who don't get it simply look at stat sheets.

Shadow Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 03:13 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post
I think the Players Association accepts a salary percentage cut before they accept a lower hard cap. That would RUIN their future earnings via free agency.
The players definitely give back some of their money from the escrow account, because the owners are entitled to their share of the revenue. However, I don't think that helps the team with a player's cap hit in any way.

So, if the cap drops and a team is over they basically have to trade more expensive players away for picks or lower cost players until they are once again under the cap. Once a contract is signed the cap hit, is the cap hit. It can't be changed.

Expect the salary cap to drop before the 2010-2011 season. With that in mind I don't think that there will be much of a market for Briere this off season, unless the Flyers really sweeten the deal. Then you have to get Briere to agree to the trade as well due to his NTC.

Players that most teams would be interested in are Richards, Gagne, and Carter. Lupul may garner some interest, but he is overpaid too.

It's going to be fun watching the big spenders try to get themselves out of cap hell. On the bright side for the Flyers, at least you have some high priced guys that other teams want and would give up some good prospects or high picks for in a trade. You could be the Rangers. Outside of Lundqvist no team wants any of their high priced players.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 03:40 PM
mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
The players definitely give back some of their money from the escrow account, because the owners are entitled to their share of the revenue. However, I don't think that helps the team with a player's cap hit in any way.

So, if the cap drops and a team is over they basically have to trade more expensive players away for picks or lower cost players until they are once again under the cap. Once a contract is signed the cap hit, is the cap hit. It can't be changed.

Expect the salary cap to drop before the 2010-2011 season. With that in mind I don't think that there will be much of a market for Briere this off season, unless the Flyers really sweeten the deal. Then you have to get Briere to agree to the trade as well due to his NTC.

Players that most teams would be interested in are Richards, Gagne, and Carter. Lupul may garner some interest, but he is overpaid too.

It's going to be fun watching the big spenders try to get themselves out of cap hell. On the bright side for the Flyers, at least you have some high priced guys that other teams want and would give up some good prospects or high picks for in a trade. You could be the Rangers. Outside of Lundqvist no team wants any of their high priced players.
I seriously doubt this happens. There is no way that the league will be able to force teams to trade stars for nothing. This is why it is INSANE to have guaranteed contracts with a hard cap (or vice versa).

Old
04-11-2009, 11:42 PM
BJo

Hartnell is awesome. I love his game. He's the type of guy you want to go to battle with. Except his hair is kinda gross now. It's really curly and greasy. Sorta looks like Handzus when he is skating.

The Flyers have a bunch of guys I want to go to battle with. Coburn, Hartnell, Carter, Richards, Carcillo . All tough, gritty, heart and soul guys. If their goaltending was better I'd have a little more confidence in them.

Sick move by Lupul today also

BJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 12:49 AM
Alex28*

Brown and a 2nd

Alex28* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 01:07 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post
I am sure the Leafs could get a better package for Kaberle than Hartnell and Jones/Carle. That ship has sailed, anyway. I really hope that we send Lupul+ for Harding on Draft Day, and somehow get rid of Jones by then. Sign Backlund to an ELC or re-sign Nitty for cheap, re-sign Knuble for about $2 million.

Gagne-Briere-Knuble
Hartnell-Carter-Giroux
JVR-Richards-Nodl
Carcillo-Powe-Asham
Cote(?)

Timonen-Coburn
Sbisa-Parent
Carle-Alberts
Veteran 7th D-man

Harding
Nitty/Backlund

That should be about $54 million in salary, and that is a team that could challenge for the Cup for years.
Unless he gets a lot better by next year I don't think JVR will be ready to play in the NHL. I think he'll need time in the AHL to work on things and gain confidence before he'll be ready.

Also, why Briere on the 1st line instead of Richards?

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 05:55 AM
mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candiria92 View Post
Unless he gets a lot better by next year I don't think JVR will be ready to play in the NHL. I think he'll need time in the AHL to work on things and gain confidence before he'll be ready.

Also, why Briere on the 1st line instead of Richards?
I think JVR will surprise some people, and I see no reason why he wouldn't make the team if Lupul is gone. Plus, I think Richards would be a better center for him than Briere. Both Richards and Briere have shown chemistry with Gagne and Knuble in the past, so I figure it would be worthwhile to set it up like that. We know that each of the top three lines will get lots of ice time.