HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Uncle George or Uncle Savard?

View Poll Results: Uncle George, Uncle Savard or Uncle Someone Else?
George Gillett 101 70.14%
Serge Savard 36 25.00%
Other (Who?) 7 4.86%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-08-2009, 05:41 PM
  #76
Kafka
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Montreal
Country: Martinique
Posts: 5,115
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports1131 View Post
If language becomes a higher priority for the team than ability then I probably would.
You look really convinced.

Kafka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 08:06 PM
  #77
Slick Nick
Registered User
 
Slick Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Montréal
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 4,712
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Understand your point as far as this year is concerned. How come nobody talks to the fact that we finished 1st last year due to the lack of injuries to our team and to tons of injuries to the other teams around. Add to that the fact that we finished only 10 points ahead of 8th place, and if we are ready to put everything that has happened to this team this year on the shoulders on everything but on-ice play (which we shouldn't 'cause if so, we would want the same exact team next year), why can't we put everything that has happened last year on the same thing but to our advantage?

As far as 99-00, well again, it was a bad year 'cause of bad choices and 'cause of bad picks throughout the 90's. If the Habs choose more wisely their 1st rounders throughout the 90's, we do not need to get the Éric Landry of this world. Putting everything on the french players is unjustified. And then nobody here want french players just for the sake of being french. "Great" needs to be put ahead of french.
Snake, I hope you understood my point. I don't want a Michel Bergeron type of approach to french players. I don't want Bouillon over Markov because Markov can't order a cheezeburger in english. I'm all for good french players! A lot of people here were against the Tanguay move, I was the most excited about him... but I didn't cry when we traded Bégin et son grand coeur.

.. and I'm not blaming the 98-99 season on french players. All I'm trying to demonstrate is that having home grown players is not in any way correlated with succes if those players don't have the talent. I just don't believe that guys like Koivu or Markov or Komisarek or even the Kosties don't care about winning the cup because they were not raised in Quebec.

Slick Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 08:34 PM
  #78
Nedved
Registered User
 
Nedved's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,004
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
For people who don't believe in having more french players and do seem to be totally against it, or at the least be against choosing a player for the language he speaks, if it happens, if there are people that come on board and put some kind of importance to it, will you stop being a Habs fan?
yes. but that wont happen. ill be shocked if lever isnt the coach next year to.

Nedved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 08:37 PM
  #79
Caseofcups*
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 772
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryI View Post
Oh boy did that 99 team with 14 Quebecers ever care! They had heart! They had passion! They played for their boyhood team!

They, they...finished 12th.
And the current addition does. How many games err periods have they showed up for this year? This team has ZERO character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryI View Post
You pick the best possible players. I don't care if they are French, English, Chinese or African.
I agree. They have to want to WIN THE CUP. Not play in the WC or some other european or north american tournament as a priority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseofcups View Post
I agree. They have to want to WIN THE CUP. Not play in the WC or some other european or north american tournament as a priority.
Bottom line is we have lacked TRUE leadership on this team for too long. Time for change.


Last edited by Habs10Habs: 04-09-2009 at 06:11 PM.
Caseofcups* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 09:03 PM
  #80
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 49,070
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick View Post
Snake, I hope you understood my point. I don't want a Michel Bergeron type of approach to french players. I don't want Bouillon over Markov because Markov can't order a cheezeburger in english. I'm all for good french players! A lot of people here were against the Tanguay move, I was the most excited about him... but I didn't cry when we traded Bégin et son grand coeur.

.. and I'm not blaming the 98-99 season on french players. All I'm trying to demonstrate is that having home grown players is not in any way correlated with succes if those players don't have the talent. I just don't believe that guys like Koivu or Markov or Komisarek or even the Kosties don't care about winning the cup because they were not raised in Quebec.
Understand your point. But in my case, it was never acquiring french players for the pleasure of having them even if they ain't good. But when there's a case to be made and it could go either way, I just say why not. Like I keep saying just to be sure that people understands, most of my guys not to be drafted are from the Q. Most of the guys I hate are from the Q. Understandably 'cause that's the guys I see the most.

In the end, I totally understand that winning a doing great in the playoffs settles everything. But since we haven't been able to do it.....yet....we'll you'll always see the same topic coming back. Win and you won't, don't win and you will. That's just how it is.

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2009, 10:48 PM
  #81
j c petit
Locked-out
 
j c petit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Rink Rat
Country: Canada
Posts: 665
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
For people who don't believe in having more french players and do seem to be totally against it, or at the least be against choosing a player for the language he speaks, if it happens, if there are people that come on board and put some kind of importance to it, will you stop being a Habs fan?
I will be a Hab fan until the day I die, but if the language a player speaks becomes a priority ahead of what a player can add to the team on the ice, the ensuing mediocrity will no doubt shorten my life.

I really like Slick Nick's response; there is absolutely nothing to be gained appeasing the Michel Bergerons out there.

j c petit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 03:17 PM
  #82
C4KOMI
 
C4KOMI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,023
vCash: 500
SAvard

C4KOMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 03:28 PM
  #83
AH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Woodbridge, ON
Country: Pakistan
Posts: 4,878
vCash: 500
Serge Savard was a terrible GM. His big blunders (Chelios trade, Leclair/Dejardins trade, missing the whole Euro Invasion of the late 80's) were EPIC FAIL and worse than anything Rejean Houle ever did.

His drafting outside of 1984 gets a BIG FAT F. Only one 1st round pick made an impact outside of 84 and that was Saku Koivu. How pathetic is that?

Throw in his preoccupation with his own investments during the late 80s until he got fired and you have a guy who should not even be allowed into the Bell Center, let alone own it.

AH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 03:59 PM
  #84
Ozymandias
#firetherrien
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
How so?..
We finished 1st last year and if it weren't for our huge numbers of injuries this season, we'd probably be part of the top teams.

Last year's main issue was a right handed centerman. He pursued Sundin but he signed around Xmas in Vancouver for 10M. Can't blame him for not landing him. But he did manage to bring in Lang, that turned out to be our leading scorer until injured.
He made a mistake by not getting a Point Shot on PP, but had interest in Schneider for a long time. Rumors say he didn't get him earlier because the Vinny trade became a high possibility.
Eventually, he brought him in and Matthieu had 16pts in 21GP.
People were screaming for an enforcer last year, he brought in Laraque.

Now was he supposed to know Higgins/A.Kost/Koivu/Tanguay/Price/Halak/Kovalev/Lang/Schneider/Markov/Latendresse/Bouillon/Komisarek would all get injured/sick and for the most part miss a significant number of games this season..

Gainey has done a great job here. It doesn't take 5years to build a SC winning team, especially when you have a strike in the middle that changes completely the game.


As for the Poll, Gillett was as good as an Owner can be. If we listen to the players they all love him as well. There's no reason to wish for another one.
Savard I feel would get really involved in the hockey decisions, and his pockets aren't as deep.

Thank God you're here when I'm not around Kriss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Understand your point as far as this year is concerned. How come nobody talks to the fact that we finished 1st last year due to the lack of injuries to our team and to tons of injuries to the other teams around. Add to that the fact that we finished only 10 points ahead of 8th place, and if we are ready to put everything that has happened to this team this year on the shoulders on everything but on-ice play (which we shouldn't 'cause if so, we would want the same exact team next year), why can't we put everything that has happened last year on the same thing but to our advantage?

As far as 99-00, well again, it was a bad year 'cause of bad choices and 'cause of bad picks throughout the 90's. If the Habs choose more wisely their 1st rounders throughout the 90's, we do not need to get the Éric Landry of this world. Putting everything on the french players is unjustified. And then nobody here want french players just for the sake of being french. "Great" needs to be put ahead of french.
And why don't you try comparing who was injured on those teams last season, compared to the Habs this season.

People look at Philly and Boston highly, yet Philly had only Gagné injured last season, they still had Brière, Richards, Carter, Biron and Timonen. Boston had Bergeron and several role players injured but they still had their #1 centerman, Savard, they still had Chara and Thomas.

The Habs this season had Lang injured for half of the season, Tanguay for about the same, and they are arguably our two best offensive players this season. Price was out for almost 15-20 games.^Komi for almost 15 games. Our injuries this season, the players involved, have had a much bigger impact than on those teams last season.

Habs had much more to deal with this season than they did last season. Yet Habs are where both those teams were last year and those teams are where the Habs were last season. Yet people like you still persist in thinking those teams are better overall and are in a higher category. Still persist in implying that the Habs were only good because they were free of injury (oh and lets talk about the Wings then huh? They must'nt be that great as they never had any BIG injury in the last two seasons *same as with San Jose*).

Do you actually realize that some Philly fans do not want the Flyers to meet the Habs in the playoffs. That a lot of teams wouldn't want to up against the Habs, because they know we have a good team, among the very best in the east, when no one of importance is injured (same as the other bests in the east).

I'd like to see how Boston would manage with Thomas injured for 15-20 games, Wideman for 15-20 games, and Savard for the rest of the season from the begining of February.

I'd like to see how Philly would manage with these kind of problems.

Let's see how Boston would play against Ottawa without Chara, Wideman and Savard. I'd bet it would look at lot like the Habs game against the Sens on Monday.


Last edited by Habs10Habs: 04-09-2009 at 06:12 PM.
Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 06:20 PM
  #85
mabus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,230
vCash: 500
The devil you know......

The bottom line is Gillette has been good to this team. He's stinking rich and he's willing to let the team spend. He's committed to the team, so much so that he personally attends most games and even greets fans in the halls. How many owners care that much?

Savard is just the FACE of the consortium which he represents. The last time a Montreal team was owned by such a consortium, it resulted in decades of firesales, and the eventually removal of the team from the city. That's what happens when you have a consortium who just want a bottom line profit.

Gillette is the devil we know. He cares, he's rich, and he's been good to us. Personally I hope he doesn't sell.

mabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 06:31 PM
  #86
Caseofcups*
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 772
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AH View Post
Serge Savard was a terrible GM. His big blunders (Chelios trade, Leclair/Dejardins trade, missing the whole Euro Invasion of the late 80's) were EPIC FAIL and worse than anything Rejean Houle ever did.

His drafting outside of 1984 gets a BIG FAT F. Only one 1st round pick made an impact outside of 84 and that was Saku Koivu. How pathetic is that?

Throw in his preoccupation with his own investments during the late 80s until he got fired and you have a guy who should not even be allowed into the Bell Center, let alone own it.
This post takes the cake. Stupidity through and through.

Caseofcups* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:00 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.