HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Dynamo Moscow signs Omark and Harju

Old
04-09-2009, 05:23 PM
Soundwave

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
Pure speculation but I wouldn't be surprised if they flat out loweballed the kid.

LO was prolly tryin' to use the "too far apart" or "wasn't even close" quotes as a future bargaining chip with the organization.
They probably did. I still seriously do wonder though if this Omark kid is any more talented than a Robert Nilsson though because this is an awful lot of bruhaha.

From what I've read as well he's more of a playmaker/dangler than a shooter/sniper.

Last edited by Soundwave: 04-09-2009 at 05:34 PM.
Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 06:04 PM
surshot*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
They probably did. I still seriously do wonder though if this Omark kid is any more talented than a Robert Nilsson though because this is an awful lot of bruhaha.

From what I've read as well he's more of a playmaker/dangler than a shooter/sniper.
We should be able to find out at the Worlds Championship. As long as Nilsson is there i guess. Nilsson does not lack tallent he lacks desire. Tambo wants to go bigger and Nilsson very well could be gone this summer anyways.

I want to hear any comment from the Oilers about this situation and have wondered if Tambo told his agent to go ahead and sign in the KHL as he was not sure he had spot for him and could not guarantee him in the lineup in the NHL knowing he would hang onto his rights and could sign him in a year or two. Giving Omark more time to develop in the KHL and really being able to see what he can do. I hope to god this is there excuse.

surshot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 06:10 PM
Hall2Nuge2Ebs

vCash: 50
We have enough undersized players on this team, this guy is 5'9" and all he cares about is money. This is not a good combination if he makes it to the big leagues.

Hall2Nuge2Ebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 09:23 PM
Heavy Fuel

I just have to say, this news just caps off the string of disapointments the Oilers are providing us with this year. One of my few reasons for optimism in this team was the emergence of the talented Omark from his late round pick beginnings. He looked like a blue-chipper, but who knows? I think it's a 50/50 chance he becomes a top six/impact player in the NHL, but if and when it happens, we will be sitting on this board and making threads every week ala Parise/Hedja/Doan, etc.

Why does the team even bother drafting or negotiating at all with Omark if they think he is too small? If the size comments to the Omark camp were simply negotiating ploys on the Oiler's part, they were poorly considered ploys. Even if the team was up against the cap, they could have at least left a good impression with their handling of the offer. Now he is just another pick gone for nothing.

I don't think it's an earth shattering bit of news, just another screw-up in a season chock-full of them.

Heavy Fuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 09:33 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Fuel View Post
I just have to say, this news just caps off the string of disapointments the Oilers are providing us with this year. One of my few reasons for optimism in this team was the emergence of the talented Omark from his late round pick beginnings. He looked like a blue-chipper, but who knows? I think it's a 50/50 chance he becomes a top six/impact player in the NHL, but if and when it happens, we will be sitting on this board and making threads every week ala Parise/Hedja/Doan, etc.

Why does the team even bother drafting or negotiating at all with Omark if they think he is too small? If the size comments to the Omark camp were simply negotiating ploys on the Oiler's part, they were poorly considered ploys. Even if the team was up against the cap, they could have at least left a good impression with their handling of the offer. Now he is just another pick gone for nothing.

I don't think it's an earth shattering bit of news, just another screw-up in a season chock-full of them.
Why not wait what the teams says. Are you sure the Oilers said that or is Omark saying this because he didn't get what he wanted. I'd say it's sour grapes on Omark's part because he didn't get the rookie max. The Oilers can't constantly give out rookie max contracts. The Omark situation is something the Oilers would have been bashed no matter what. The Oilers were in a lose-lose here. No matter what they did with Omark, they would have been bashed for it.

04-09-2009, 11:07 PM
Tyrolean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narnia View Post
Why not wait what the teams says. Are you sure the Oilers said that or is Omark saying this because he didn't get what he wanted. I'd say it's sour grapes on Omark's part because he didn't get the rookie max. The Oilers can't constantly give out rookie max contracts. The Omark situation is something the Oilers would have been bashed no matter what. The Oilers were in a lose-lose here. No matter what they did with Omark, they would have been bashed for it.
He's basing it on the Oilers rep for messing up signings.

Tyrolean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 12:52 AM
Respect Your Edler
Thank You 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
You do know that he was perfectly capable of going back to Europe if he couldn't make the Oilers right? Mikhnov did it.

He openly admitted to following the money, so yeah, he's literally money-grubbing.
Hockey is a job for him, quit complaining. I don't get why every year someone is outraged that a player won't take a significant paycut to play for their favourite team. This guy hasn't made his money yet and was not sure thing in the NHL, so he took some extra short term money to play in the KHL and he'll look at his options next year. It happsns and there's nothing wrong with it.

Respect Your Edler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 01:16 AM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Respect Your Edler View Post
Hockey is a job for him, quit complaining. I don't get why every year someone is outraged that a player won't take a significant paycut to play for their favourite team. This guy hasn't made his money yet and was not sure thing in the NHL, so he took some extra short term money to play in the KHL and he'll look at his options next year. It happsns and there's nothing wrong with it.
I'm not complaining. I'm not allowing another poster to romanticize his intentions - he chased the money instead of the NHL, which he maintained previously is where he wanted to play. The fear of losing out on a big payday is the only reason he's playing in an inferior league.

I no longer want him on this team for that reason.

SK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 04:42 AM
Snauen*

Quote:
Argue my logic, not my loyalties.
Me thinks you're arguing whit your loyalties as your logic.

Snauen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 06:29 AM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snauen View Post
Me thinks you're arguing whit your loyalties as your logic.
You think it is illogical to not want a player who would rather play for money than the league he wanted to play for? Keep in mind, this is all by his own admission.

Chasing the dollar has always been part of free agency, and I certainly don't think anyone is entitled to take a "hometown discount". But there's a difference in that and what Omark did. He openly admitted to only caring about the money.

Rather not have him in the organization. Deal his rights for a pick, if he has defected player status.

Last edited by SK13: 04-10-2009 at 06:41 AM.
Old
04-10-2009, 07:30 AM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snauen View Post
I think you have things mixed up. Beeing a loyal and caring fan of your team don't mean you have to defend the poor decisions that the management makes.
I don't agree that it was a poor decision in the slightest to refuse to give a 5'9 4th round pick the rookie maximum.

It boggles my mind that anyone disagrees with me here. That's a 3 million dollar cap-hit for a player who will refuse demotion.

Old
04-10-2009, 10:26 AM
Antidote

He's 22 and has to decide between an uncertain future in the NHL/AHL and 2.6 M USD tax-free in the KHL with a one-year escape clause plus he gets to play with his buddy. Why are people trashing him for a very prudent personal, professional and financial decision that covers all the bases?

To say "we don't want him now because he chased the money" is spectacularly bitter. Assuming he can play at a high level in the KHL, the Oilers can always use someone who can play and who is smart - he's obviously just proven the latter.

Antidote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 10:34 AM
HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by antidote View Post
He's 22 and has to decide between an uncertain future in the NHL/AHL and 2.6 M USD tax-free in the KHL with a one-year escape clause plus he gets to play with his buddy. Why are people trashing him for a very prudent personal, professional and financial decision that covers all the bases?

To say "we don't want him now because he chased the money" is spectacularly bitter. Assuming he can play at a high level in the KHL, the Oilers can always use someone who can play and who is smart - he's obviously just proven the latter.
I think people are upset with him for two reasons:

(1) The whole season has been a dissappointment and this just added to the crap we've seen this year and frustration has mounted.

(2)More importantly, I'm pretty sure he stated that the NHL was his goal. He then signs his current deal, which I don't blame him for, and pretty much acknowledges he ran after the money. He is well within his right to do so. I'd find that hard to turn down.

The real issue is his drive and passion IMO. If he really wanted to play in the NHL, he could have came over and worked his way into it if he was confident in his abilities.

HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 11:16 AM
Antidote

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL009 View Post
I think people are upset with him for two reasons:

(1) The whole season has been a dissappointment and this just added to the crap we've seen this year and frustration has mounted.

(2)More importantly, I'm pretty sure he stated that the NHL was his goal. He then signs his current deal, which I don't blame him for, and pretty much acknowledges he ran after the money. He is well within his right to do so. I'd find that hard to turn down.

The real issue is his drive and passion IMO. If he really wanted to play in the NHL, he could have came over and worked his way into it if he was confident in his abilities.
Agree with 1 and 2 but not the last point. There's an overemphasis in hockey circles - to me, at least - on old-fashioned values that are more reflective of the traditionalist post-war generation than even the boomers. Another way, even though most of the senior NHL managers are boomers, their views are closer to their parents' views than those of the rest of the generation - you earn your way through hard work, you always respect authority etc. It's a bit of a time warp.

I spent years preparing boomer managers to deal with an incoming Gen-Y workforce and they're still struggling to adapt to a generation that is confident, ambitious, looks for challenges, questions authority etc. Because of these characteristics, Gen-Y people are thought of by boomers as narcissistic, lacking commitment, discipline and drive (cribbing these sweeping generalizations from any of a thousand articles on this subject).

So then we come to hockey, where - again to me - the value system of the senior managers predates the boomers but the kids that come along have all the characteristics of Gen-Y. The traditionalists aren't really not sure how to deal with kids who want to finish college rather than play in the AHL or, in Omark's case, take a completely different route to get what they want. Again, confident, ambitious, questions authority, looks for challenges.

I ramble on knowing all the pitfalls of behavioural pigeon-holing of generational characteristics, but there is a lot of generational conflict in workplaces, especially professional ones, as the value systems and worldviews collide. Why is it any different in NHL offices between senior managers and young players or in dressing rooms with boomers and Gen-Y's.

I don't know Omark from page 2, but believe that confidence, drive and passion aren't problems for him. He's just a young guy who - like most of his peers - wants as much of the world as he can get on his terms. Go for it, Linus! Hope to see you in a year!

Antidote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 11:26 AM
Freudian slips

Quote:
I'm not complaining. I'm not allowing another poster to romanticize his intentions - he chased the money instead of the NHL, which he maintained previously is where he wanted to play. The fear of losing out on a big payday is the only reason he's playing in an inferior league.

I no longer want him on this team for that reason.

Classic.

You're a terrible fan, and your stance is built on flawed logic....

Why do so many Oiler fans villify players - our own players - so quickly??

Omark is an Oiler draft pick, we should be supporting our own, not throwing them under the bus....

SK13 is the new Limbaugh of Oiler nation.

Freudian slips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 11:28 AM
Freudian slips

Quote:
I don't agree that it was a poor decision in the slightest to refuse to give a 5'9 4th round pick the rookie maximum.

It boggles my mind that anyone disagrees with me here. That's a 3 million dollar cap-hit for a player who will refuse demotion.

you're basing this purely on speculation - and articles youve read on the internet...

Freudian slips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 11:29 AM
Mike Krushelnyski

Quote:

Nathan Gerbe and the Buffalo Sabres say 'Hi'.

Mike Krushelnyski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 11:49 AM
Mr Hands

Do you guys think Omark signing in russia will have further implications in regards to Oilers drafting euros/Russians. The bad taste left by Mikhnov and now Omark provides further support for drafting guys from the north american leagues. This was also seen in the 07 draft when Cherapanov(sp?) dropped a lot lower than expected.

Let's just say MSP was available when the oilers are up for their pick. Do you think they would pick him despite the risk of him "pulling an Omark"?

Mr Hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 11:57 AM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hands View Post
Do you guys think Omark signing in russia will have further implications in regards to Oilers drafting euros/Russians. The bad taste left by Mikhnov and now Omark provides further support for drafting guys from the north american leagues. This was also seen in the 07 draft when Cherapanov(sp?) dropped a lot lower than expected.

Let's just say MSP was available when the oilers are up for their pick. Do you think they would pick him despite the risk of him "pulling an Omark"?
He went for the most money, why would that build a bad taste in his mouth? Alexi didn't have the talent to make the roster and didn't want to play in the AHL so went back to where he is comfortable. That was his choice I am not sure how the Oilers didn't handle it well?

There is now way in hell that I would have been happy they guaranteed a roster spot to an unproven (at this level) player especially considering our roster and it's size.

We retain his rights so I think the Oilers made the right decision not to throw a lot of money and guarantee a roster spot.

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 12:16 PM
Mr Hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post
He went for the most money, why would that build a bad taste in his mouth? Alexi didn't have the talent to make the roster and didn't want to play in the AHL so went back to where he is comfortable. That was his choice I am not sure how the Oilers didn't handle it well?

There is now way in hell that I would have been happy they guaranteed a roster spot to an unproven (at this level) player especially considering our roster and it's size.

We retain his rights so I think the Oilers made the right decision not to throw a lot of money and guarantee a roster spot.
im pretty sure you completely misread what i was trying to say. i was wondering if the oilers are more worried now drafting euros and russian because of how the Mikhnov and Omark situations turned out.

Old
04-10-2009, 12:17 PM
Mr Hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post

bad taste left in the oilers mouth.

Old
04-10-2009, 12:39 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hands View Post
im pretty sure you completely misread what i was trying to say. i was wondering if the oilers are more worried now drafting euros and russian because of how the Mikhnov and Omark situations turned out.
Sorry I misunderstood.

I think all teams are aware of this. It is why the Russian players drop in the draft.

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 01:14 PM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian slips View Post
you're basing this purely on speculation - and articles youve read on the internet...
I'm basing this on articles with quotes from Linus Omark himself.

Also, Limbaugh of hockey, throwing our own under the bus? He isn't an Oiler. He refused to be an Oiler because we didn't promise him a roster spot out of a league that's equivalent with the best NCAA or best of the ECHL.

Old
04-10-2009, 01:15 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12 View Post
Of all the things I've read in this rather large thread, this is the one thing that truly angered me:

"Edmonton has said that they have enough small players, that there's nothing wrong with me, but that Im small. That doesnt feel that nice to hear, so it's not just about the money. I want to be in the NHL, not in the AHL."
-Omark

You would've thought the Oilers would have learned from the disaster of their 2003 draft, where they passed on Parise because of these exact same sentiments that they relayed to Omark.

5 years later, and they haven't learned a thing.

IMO the Oilers come across as pack of bumbling idiots. After tantalizing the fanbase with videos of him on their own bloody website, after Kevin Lowe gushing about his talents on HNIC After Hours for a national audience, after Tambellini gushing about him on the radio, now the Oilers fail to sign him after all that buildup??

He may never amount to much, but there's no denying he was one of the few pieces of good news we've had this year on the prospect front. And now he's gone, because the Oilers have this fixation on draft position dictating what a player's potential will be.

If Omark had been a first or 2nd round pick and had the exact same career progression as he's shown so far, there's no doubt in my mind that the Oilers would've signed him, or at the very least offered him the max deal they could under the current CBA...but because he was a 4th round pick, we get the "we have a lot of small guys" speech. Never mind that we have no idea how many of our current <6' tall group will even be on the roster 2 years from now.

Oh well, on to the next circus act.
This is such a good post and I meant to comment on it earlier.

The bolded part particularly is an indictment on the general lack of prudence and credibility shown by the org.

Another example of the org shooting its foot.

It would be funny except...

In anycase one of the best posts I've ever read here.

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 01:20 PM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Krushelnyski View Post
Nathan Gerbe and the Buffalo Sabres say 'Hi'.
Yes, and the Buffalo Sabres are the epitomy of successful team building? They are one of the few organizations that have been run much worse than the Edmonton Oilers.

Let is also be said that Gerbe is in the AHL this year, where Linus Omark has abjectly refused to spend time.