HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Al Montoya To The Flyers

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-22-2009, 05:10 PM
  #26
trademasterb*
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 440
vCash: 500
Sather's worse move as the GM of the Rangers which is saying something. As soon as he saw Lundqvist play his first season he should have dealt Montoya. Without question if he did that he could have gotten a very good, young player. Instead, he waited because he barely works and they ended up trading him for Sjostrom. However, by miracle the 3rd round pick in that deal was used on Grachev.

So you could say they traded Montoya for Grachev. However, I prefer to say he traded Montoya for Sjostrom which shows that Sather is clueless when it comes to being a GM.

That being said, Sjostrom could be a great 4th line player if he wasn't playing with no offense Betts. Sjostrom is a guy I would be looking to scoop up if I was a serious contender. Betts is another guy who on a team with 3 solid scoring lines, could fill a good PK role.

As far as Montoya goes, there is always truck driving school.

trademasterb* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 07:05 PM
  #27
0123456789*
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,812
vCash: 500
Montoya wont ever see a game in the NHL and he isnt even a good starter in the AHL so his value is pretty much zero at this point. At the time the Rangers traded him I though Phoenix got robbed, I considered him unlikely to ever get a NHL game at that point, things have only gotten worse.

0123456789* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 08:55 PM
  #28
k1llua
 
k1llua's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,841
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to k1llua
Quote:
Originally Posted by trademasterb View Post
Sather's worse move as the GM of the Rangers which is saying something. As soon as he saw Lundqvist play his first season he should have dealt Montoya. Without question if he did that he could have gotten a very good, young player. Instead, he waited because he barely works and they ended up trading him for Sjostrom. However, by miracle the 3rd round pick in that deal was used on Grachev.

So you could say they traded Montoya for Grachev. However, I prefer to say he traded Montoya for Sjostrom which shows that Sather is clueless when it comes to being a GM.


That being said, Sjostrom could be a great 4th line player if he wasn't playing with no offense Betts. Sjostrom is a guy I would be looking to scoop up if I was a serious contender. Betts is another guy who on a team with 3 solid scoring lines, could fill a good PK role.

As far as Montoya goes, there is always truck driving school.
There was no third rounder involved in that deal. It was a conditional fifth that the Rangers won't end up getting.

k1llua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2009, 09:40 PM
  #29
Zubrus Coffee Maker
Blinded by my Zubrus
 
Zubrus Coffee Maker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cobourg, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,386
vCash: 500
close to the NHL? He lost his starter job in San Antonio and has more than 3 GAA

Zubrus Coffee Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 08:42 AM
  #30
TheKingPin
Registered User
 
TheKingPin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,899
vCash: 500
I know thats it only been a few games but I think there is a lot of crow eating with this.

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 08:52 AM
  #31
grabo84
Registered User
 
grabo84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Atlantic Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,448
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingPin View Post
I know thats it only been a few games but I think there is a lot of crow eating with this.
Nah, goalies go on hot streaks all the time. JS Aubin did the exact same thing for the Leafs in 05-06. It's good that he had a few good games, but he has to win himself a spot next year before anyone will have to take back what they said.

grabo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 08:52 AM
  #32
BillyShoe1721
Terriers
 
BillyShoe1721's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 16,685
vCash: 8400
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
He's not worth a 6th. Not kidding, complete and utter bust.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 09:17 AM
  #33
KingJet*
Welcome Back
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,651
vCash: 500
Phi:
Bryzgalov

Phx:
Lupul
4th

KingJet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 09:21 AM
  #34
Sneekypete
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Branford,Ct
Country: United States
Posts: 2,449
vCash: 500
Just what the Flyers need another mediocre goalie in there system. I wouldnt give a 1980 Ford Pinto for him

Sneekypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 09:31 AM
  #35
LEIFey
Context Matters!
 
LEIFey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 7,290
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven93 View Post
Phi:
Bryzgalov

Phx:
Lupul
4th
i'd trade for bryzgalov just for his awesome interview skills.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 09:32 AM
  #36
Voice of Reason
Registered User
 
Voice of Reason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 2,823
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by grabo84 View Post
Nah, goalies go on hot streaks all the time. JS Aubin did the exact same thing for the Leafs in 05-06. It's good that he had a few good games, but he has to win himself a spot next year before anyone will have to take back what they said.
Except for those posters who said he isn't anywhere remotely close to being in the NHL.

Voice of Reason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 11:02 AM
  #37
ducky
Registered User
 
ducky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Home of Kokanee Beer
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,861
vCash: 500
I'm just happy that Montoya has shown he can play at this level. It is only 4 games but a .925 sp and 2.08 gaa is not too shabby.

Looks like Phoenix has a backup goalie to replace Tellqvist.

Bryzgalov is clearly the #1 in the desert.

ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 02:34 PM
  #38
Jakeman
Registered User
 
Jakeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 899
vCash: 500
Montoya has played really well and is far from a bust, some goalies play better in the NHl than in the AHl , he has been solid. Montoya is going to win the number one job away from Brysgalov , in my opinion.

Jakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 02:40 PM
  #39
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Moron!
 
Mike Farkas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,017
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeman View Post
Montoya has played really well and is far from a bust, some goalies play better in the NHl than in the AHl , he has been solid. Montoya is going to win the number one job away from Brysgalov , in my opinion.
Ok, Montoya has played five games in his NHL career after being drafted five years ago...I'd hardly start peeling off the "bust" sticker from his file yet...

Secondly, Bryzgalov is one of the best goalies in the league and has always shown that...it's unconscionable to think that Montoya, who strolls in fresh from the sewer, could overtake Bryzgalov for the number one position...especially given your sample size of Montoya...

Once again, people fall for the handful of games hot streak for goalies and think they are the new best thing ever...

Mike Farkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 03:02 PM
  #40
FutureGM97
Registered User
 
FutureGM97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Connecticut, USA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,832
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Farkas View Post
Ok, Montoya has played five games in his NHL career after being drafted five years ago...I'd hardly start peeling off the "bust" sticker from his file yet...

Secondly, Bryzgalov is one of the best goalies in the league and has always shown that...it's unconscionable to think that Montoya, who strolls in fresh from the sewer, could overtake Bryzgalov for the number one position...especially given your sample size of Montoya...

Once again, people fall for the handful of games hot streak for goalies and think they are the new best thing ever...
He has the skill to be but he needs to work on his consistency if he wants that tag.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 03:38 PM
  #41
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 109,882
vCash: 5792
Zero crow eating. Zero. Please.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 03:40 PM
  #42
Bird Law
Daisy's back.
 
Bird Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Country Roads
Country: United States
Posts: 72,371
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Al Montoya is never going to start in an NHL game. He is a complete bust, in the truest sense.
Lol.

I think Monty's value is a mid rounder right now, but Phoenix has zero reason to trade him unless a team wants to throw a 2nd or 3rd at them.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 04:07 PM
  #43
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 41,653
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingPin View Post
I know thats it only been a few games but I think there is a lot of crow eating with this.
I said he'd never start an NHL game, and I was wrong. Now I'll say he'll never start an NHL game for a team that's not a bottom feeder.

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 04:18 PM
  #44
Trottier
Very Random
 
Trottier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 27,651
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Zero crow eating. Zero. Please.
C'mon, GKJ! A few games at the end of a season for a bottom dweller playing out the string of meaningless games consitutes a career! The verdict is in! Pass the crow.

Holmgren ought to "upgrade" from Biron to Montoya!

The ease in which a few here are impressed remains remarkable.

Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 04:49 PM
  #45
lucky13
Iron Chic
 
lucky13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: selden...L.I.
Country: United States
Posts: 643
vCash: 500
the talent and potential has always been there......i hope he makes it......i always try to wish the best for someone trying to break into the bigs.....for so many to label him an absolute bust with no chance of making a career in the nhl is a lil ridiculous ......nobody knows for sure one way or the other

hes looked good so far in a very small sample size...but dont you have to start somewhere

lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 04:53 PM
  #46
Prussian_Blue
Registered User
 
Prussian_Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Country: Germany
Posts: 7,753
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff VanRichards View Post
I'd maybe give them Nodl, and thats probably a huge overpayment.
You could probably get Ben Bishop or Chris Holt from St. Louis for Nodl, and either Bishop or Holt would be a huge improvement over Montoya...

P_B

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 04:55 PM
  #47
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 109,882
vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
C'mon, GKJ! A few games at the end of a season for a bottom dweller playing out the string of meaningless games consitutes a career! The verdict is in! Pass the crow.

Holmgren ought to "upgrade" from Biron to Montoya!
You're right! Montoya hasn't been around in the league long enough to have proven to be a failure. Because that's how it works in this league. You're a #1 All-Star goalie until you're proven NOT to be.

In seriousness, the Flyers know this better than anyone..

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 04:56 PM
  #48
Prussian_Blue
Registered User
 
Prussian_Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Country: Germany
Posts: 7,753
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeman View Post
Montoya has played really well and is far from a bust, some goalies play better in the NHl than in the AHl , he has been solid. Montoya is going to win the number one job away from Brysgalov , in my opinion.
In my opinion, anyone who uses as their avatar a "Guitar World" cover that doesn't have David Gilmour on it, is missing the boat...



P_B

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 07:33 PM
  #49
Fleury14
Kipper
 
Fleury14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 4,446
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingPin View Post
I know thats it only been a few games but I think there is a lot of crow eating with this.
lol, hardly yet. This comments needs a lot of perspective.

Fleury14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 09:52 PM
  #50
Jakeman
Registered User
 
Jakeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 899
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue View Post
In my opinion, anyone who uses as their avatar a "Guitar World" cover that doesn't have David Gilmour on it, is missing the boat...



P_B
Dimebag was and still is my favorite guitar player , it's the best avatar.

Montoya isn't a bust so far, he had a bust label before he even played a game which was unfair. Montoya has proved himself to have NHL skill in his short 5 gms played.

Jakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:55 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.