HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

(#81) the NO freakin' way edition 4/9/09 Philly @ NY 7pm MSG

Old
04-09-2009, 09:33 PM
GAGLine

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
He mishandles his talent.

He doesn't know how to coach players on an individual basis.

Not all players respond to the treatment he is using.

What makes a coach a great coach is knowing how to get the most out of EVERY player on the team. He doesn't know how to do that. He alienates certain players and overuses others to compensate for the ice time he strips from the other guys.... and that is why the are typically beat in the 3rd period... it didn't cost them tonight. But believe me it will in the playoffs.
I'm sorry man, but you are way off base here. I forget who coached in Columbus before Hitchcock, but neither of those coaches could get a consistent effort out of Zherdev. That's why they traded him. And neither Renney nor Torts has been able to get a consistent effort from him either.

I like Zherdev and I thought he had a pretty good game tonight. He was more involved defensively than I've seen him in a long while. But Torts is doing exactly what he needs to do. The way you motivate a player like Zherdev is by taking away icetime. He'll either get the message or he'll be traded. You can't worry about hurting the player's feelings. If Zherdev is going to pout about losing ice time because he isn't giving 100%, then he isn't the type of player we need on this team.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 09:44 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
I'm sorry man, but you are way off base here. I forget who coached in Columbus before Hitchcock, but neither of those coaches could get a consistent effort out of Zherdev. That's why they traded him. And neither Renney nor Torts has been able to get a consistent effort from him either.

I like Zherdev and I thought he had a pretty good game tonight. He was more involved defensively than I've seen him in a long while. But Torts is doing exactly what he needs to do. The way you motivate a player like Zherdev is by taking away icetime. He'll either get the message or he'll be traded. You can't worry about hurting the player's feelings. If Zherdev is going to pout about losing ice time because he isn't giving 100%, then he isn't the type of player we need on this team.
It has nothing to do with "pouting"

It has to do with getting enough playing time to get in a groove, to get production up to snuff.

You can't produce from the bench.

No, i'm not off base. I play. Im taking a players point of view. I know what it's like to be benched and then be expected to produce with **** ice time... it doesn't happen.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 09:46 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Other then that great win!

Gotta keep rolling here.

Old
04-09-2009, 09:46 PM
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov

Send a message via AIM to Jarkko Immonen
How unethical is it that I watched the last half of that game on my laptop in my ethics of journalism class?

Answer: I don't care!

GO RANGERS!!!

Jarkko Immonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 09:47 PM
jrd303

hell yeah, gag.

I'd rather not pay him at all then put money into Z. I've rooted for the guy since he came into the league but it's pretty darn clear he's more a part of the problem than the solution.

I don't care what he leads the team in, he has the talent to be much, much better. Underachievers need to be paid closer to the bottom of their potential. If he's not willing to do that I'd rather suffer a bad season than cow towing to a flake.

jrd303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 09:47 PM
McDonagh27

Without Hank, this team is fighting for its life sunday. No question.

Thank you Hank.. we love u man!

McDonagh27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 09:52 PM
broadwayblue

Just got back from the Garden. Hank got a standing O' on that save. Wow. Good times!

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 09:54 PM
jrd303

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
It has nothing to do with "pouting"

It has to do with getting enough playing time to get in a groove, to get production up to snuff.
Sorry but to me it's about playing up to your abilities. There's quite frankly no reason Zherdev should ever be losing ice time. He's a developing elite player his work ethic should be complimenting his skill and driving his ice time higher. Personally, I'd prefer he earn his minutes. The reason his minutes declined weren't because he wasn't scoring. It's because he wasn't doing the other things that players that are developing into elite talent do.

Z is most definitely being tested to see if he is worth a big contract. The fact that he's falling on his face is solely on him. This may be the biggest opportunity of his career. This could be the biggest contract he'll be trying to earn and it doesn't look like he really wants it.

jrd303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 10:00 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubi17 View Post
did any1 else think that callahan's goal should have been morris's. it didnt look like callahan tipped it at all. oh well, it would have been nice to see morris get his first goal as a ranger but i love cally so i dont mind.
I'm sure they'll review it again and change it if that was case. I think it was deflected because I feel like Biron would have made the save otherwise

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 10:29 PM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Cally is a helluva player.

Dead GDT tonight. I guess everyone is at the game? Damn living in DC...
Damn straight
henrik chants were epic when he made the save of the season...or should i say seasing saving save?

FromTheSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 10:39 PM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
What a game. Playoffs, baby! 4 straight years. Say what you will about this team, it's been a wild season and it's been very stressful at times - tonight maybe more so than usual. I was so nervous at the end, but they got it done and that's all that counts. It's a hell of a lot better than what we went through from 97-04.

Henrik stole this win tonight, simple as that. The man just gets it done when the money's on the line and it's for that reason that I have complete faith in him come next week. It's going to be so nice to have a good, relaxing weekend (although I'd still like to beat Philly obviously).

As for who we play, I think we can take either the Caps or Bruins. I'm not intimidated. Boston struggled with a Habs team that we pretty easily took care of, and we lost 2 games up there by a combined 2-0 score while Washington's goaltending is abysmal (although AO definitely scares me obviously). Just see how things play out and enjoy the end of the season.

Great job, boys.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 10:47 PM
Block More Shots

WOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4TH SEASON IN A ROW!!!

Great job boys!

Block More Shots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 11:01 PM
KotsyJr
49ERS/NYR/RAPS/JAYS

vCash: 873
This season has been a huge headache most of the time, but I finally let out a huge sigh of relief after the game. It would be nice to finish out with a win on Sunday, but the playoffs start soon and that is the main focus...

LET'S GO RANGERS!

KotsyJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 11:47 PM
rvdnsx

As of right now the Rangers would face Washington in the first round because we equal Montreal in points have one more win. If Montreal loses to Pittsburgh, we get the 7th seed. As long as we equal the points that Montreal has we will be a 7th seed. I would prefer the Bruins over the Caps, the Rangers simply cannot stop Ovechkin and Green over a 7 game series and the Rangers do not play well in Washington.

On the other hand, I think the Rangers can steal a game or two in Boston. The Bruins have scored a total of 2 goals on their home ice against us this year and Tim Thomas is not playoff tested at all. Personally I think Thomas is a flash in the pan goalie (like Jim Carey) and Boston will regret giving him that ridiculous contract for not even a full season of good goaltending. He doesn't have the makings of a great goaltender; he flops around the ice trying to make saves with his glove but the puck ends up hitting his head and positionally is not even close to being a sound goaltender. He plays on a good defensive team this year and his numbers are inflated because of that (cough...cough...fatso). Also note that Sean Avery got under his skin the last game they played so thats another advantage of going against the Bruins. I hope we get the 8th seed personally and would start Vally on Sunday who seems to play Philly well anyway.

rvdnsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 12:11 AM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Just got back...the 3rd period was insane...Thank Hank we won.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 12:13 AM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Boston or Washington is tough.

Yeah, we can't stop Ovechkin and Green, or win there (even when they were awful) but we can't score on Boston and can't even seem to generate any offense in the system they play..

On the other hand, the Caps goaltending is a question mark and perhaps we can run our offense well against them.

Who knows.. honestly either series we're a huge dog..

Fire Sather is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 01:08 AM
TomLaidlaw

That 3rd period took about 5 years off my life.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 01:14 AM
Lundqvist=Vezina
Legendary

Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist=Vezina
Man, it's too bad we don't have a goalie that steps up in big games.

Lundqvist=Vezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 02:15 AM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

And we're in baby. Sweet.

Went to sleep early yesterday so I didn't watch the game, but I just watched the highlights of it.
Looked like Hank had a heck of a game . . . What a save on Carcillo.

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 03:30 AM
jniklast

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromAnisimov2Zherdev View Post
Without Hank, this team is fighting for its life sunday. No question.

Thank you Hank.. we love u man!
without hank, this team is fighting for the lottery.

jniklast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 05:09 AM
AJRanger

Playoffs baby!

Woke up at 3am to find it was 2-1 with a minute to go, needless to say i've never woken up quicker in my life.

AJRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 05:22 AM
Chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarkko Immonen View Post
How unethical is it that I watched the last half of that game on my laptop in my ethics of journalism class?

Answer: I don't care!

GO RANGERS!!!
Bah, since when has journalism ever cared about ethics? It was the right choice.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 05:36 AM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Someone needs to upload the glove save ASAP!

FromTheSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 05:37 AM
Blazephr

I personally think Z is getting the ice time he richly deserves at this point in time. He still coughs the puck up a lot when under pressure & makes inane passes. Almost always loses the puck on the PP at the half wall when trying to dish the puck back up the point (did it last night). At least once a game...when trying to get out of their own zone he passes the puck right into the defenders skates forcing us to scramble to get it out for another 30 seconds. Poor decision making with puck has been a problem all year with this guy. His effort isn't always there. If he could only put forth the effort defensively on a nightly basis...the offense will come that much easier by creating his own chances. He needs to take care of the little things in his game & the rest will follow. The guy has immense talent that is just waiting to burst at any moment. Just needs to put it all together.

Blazephr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 09:12 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

This is my concern:

We will most likely be playing Washington in the first round.

They will not be held to 1 or 2 goals per game.

We will be lucky to hold them to 3 per game.

We are going to need all the offense we can muster. And its not going to happen with Zherdev, Dubinsky, Naslund,and even Korpikoski getting crappy ice time.

Against a team with so much offensive depth, we are going to have to roll 3 lines and generate as much offense as possible.

This is going to be a run and gun shootout kind of series.

And it is not going to work burning out 5 guys and benching 8 others.