HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why bench Laraque and Stewart?

Old
04-10-2009, 08:50 AM
Habblues

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Pride View Post
So, Gainey knows he's playing the Bruins. He also knows of the bad blood... So why not play at least one of the "tough guys"???

Before someone answers "because O'Byrne and Komisarek got it covered", let me say this:

1) O'Byrne doesnt have it covered.

2) Komisarek being the only potential fighter out there exposes him to being in the box for up to 5 minutes. Or worse, exposes him to be injured. Do the Habs really need another defensive injury, especially Komisarek?

So, again I ask, why not play one of them? At least Stewart... And then you ask, "Well, who do you bench?" How about mr. turleneck Plekanec? How amazing has he been lately?
LIKE A BAD DREAM,OUR TOUGH GUYS OUT EATING POPCORN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Habblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 09:28 AM
wolfinhabsclothing

When will people realize that Laraque can no longer skate, turn, make a play, or any number of things he use to be able to do? Shawn Thornton can play 10 minutes a game, score once in a while, hit, contribute defensively, and basically not look lost - BGL can't play 10 minutes a game - if you dress him it's a waste of a spot.

If BGL dresses, and only plays 4 minutes, chances are he's not on the ice when the rough stuff starts anyways, and there's no use putting him out there after the fact - he doesn't scare anybody any more.

Honestly, I'd rather the Habs play like they did last night, take a few lumps, goad the Bruins into penalties, and use the PP to punish them. We should play our game, not theirs.

wolfinhabsclothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 09:42 AM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

I just hope that Gainey will dress Laraque and Stewart in the playoffs! If not, we can play a game like yesterday, but for a best of 7, some of our players would get injured soo bad!

But, i still don't understand why Gainey hasn't dressed Laraque yesterday! He could have put Weber on D, O'Byrne scratched and Laraque on the fourth line...

Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 10:06 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhabfan View Post
Gainey had a gameplan - We need the point(s) more then anything. Let them come at us yet never drop the gloves. The refs will have to flow them with penalties and we can only score on penalties anyways. So - provoke penalties even if it means getting hurt. Remember the first penalty in the game that Pleks obtained behind Thomas' net.

The problem was that the refs messed with his game plan. Chara charging Komisarek like he did, after a clean hit, should have got a game(s) suspension+, not a roughing penalty on both sides. Also - Lucic as third man. That's why Gainey was really angry at the officials after the game and I expect him to protest officially.

Still, somehow the gameplan worked in the end - we got the point thanks to our powerplay and to indiscipline penalties in the end.

Playing Laraque and Stewart would have kept the Bruins out of the penalty box and we would have scored a lot less.
The "game plan" could have seen some serious injuries to Komisarek and other of our players... BRILLIANT Gainey!

What a ****ing ridiculous decision not to dress Laraque last night! Why the hell did Gainey sign him? Wouldn't he be better than ****ing O'Byrne sitting at the end of the bench?

I love Gainey, I love Carbonneau, but they seem to suffer from memory loss. They don't believe in that kind of players but yet, they've both benefited of Pierre Bouchard, Chris Nilan and John Kordic, just to name a few.

For Christ sake, you're going to Boston, why put Komisarek, Latendresse, Lapierre and your other players in that position? I bet you anything that the players were wondering what the **** Gainey was thinking!

Thornton, Lucy and company acted like they owned the place tonight. I can guarantee you that they wouldn't have acted that way with BGL in the line-up!

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 10:28 AM
JV

We needed one point.

We got the point.

We got the point because we had 3 pp goals.

And Gainey's somehow an idiot for how he handled the lineup card?

JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 10:29 AM
Marchy79

I believe he put BGL in the press box to up his intensity. He has been talking 'unwritten code' and 'respect'. Well, now he sees what happens whenhe's not there. His team was absolutely taken for a ride. We already know Lucic is the biggest ***** when Laraque is on the ice, and Chara fears him as well (that said from more than a few b's fans i know). After watching the game all helpless, they will get their battle call, IMO it will strenghten BGL resolve to that of a bull. Lucic wont be able to hide anymore. Laraque is there.

Marchy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 10:33 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by JV View Post
We needed one point.

We got the point.

Laraque doesn't play on the PP and neither does O'Byrne. I'd hate to have key players injured because our coach/GM short memory, forgetting that the teams he's played on relied on enforcers to allow them to skate in peace!

Old
04-10-2009, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
The "game plan" could have seen some serious injuries to Komisarek and other of our players... BRILLIANT Gainey!
What a ****ing ridiculous decision not to dress Laraque last night! Why the hell did Gainey sign him? Wouldn't he be better than ****ing O'Byrne sitting at the end of the bench?

I love Gainey, I love Carbonneau, but they seem to suffer from memory loss. They don't believe in that kind of players but yet, they've both benefited of Pierre Bouchard, Chris Nilan and John Kordic, just to name a few.

For Christ sake, you're going to Boston, why put Komisarek, Latendresse, Lapierre and your other players in that position? I bet you anything that the players were wondering what the **** Gainey was thinking!

Thornton, Lucy and company acted like they owned the place tonight. I can guarantee you that they wouldn't have acted that way with BGL in the line-up!
Man, are you serious with this? Laraque can't prevent injuries for the Habs players...what is he? Ghandi?

Come man, Habs lost both Markov and Schneider while Laraque was in the lineup against the Leafs, he couldn't prevent that...

Personally, I don't know what the big deal is...I don't think you go into Boston with Stewart and Laraque, when Montreal plays at home and has last change, it's a different story. Then yes, absolutely, both of them should be dressed. But on the road? Makes no sense...at least, not for last nights game

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 10:42 AM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
looking at the outcome (which wasn't a sure thing going in), don't you think that the Habs, as a team, come away from that game feeling like they can handle whatever the Bruins throw at them physically? that kind of confidence could very well be the difference between a quick exit and a hard fought series that goes down to the wire...

and likewise, after the B's did everything they could to intimidate us last night, don't you think that the fact that we took it in stride and still forced them to come from behind in the 3rd only to escape with an OT win in their own barn against a borderline playoff team missing it's best player, will plant some seeds of doubt in their mind?
Look, O'Byrne & Komi turtling, most of the Habs players being handled like rag dolls is not coming out feeling like you can handle anything.

And the bottom line is we lost.

With Laraque & Stewart in the line up, our players don't have to worry about being molested in the corners. You think Chara would have been such a big shot if we had Laraque on the bench? You think Lucic would have jumped Komi from behind? And on a side note, I've lost all respect for Julien. He's a thug coach and he uses thug tactics. Gainey better drop the gentleman act and learn to street fight with that thug, Claude Julien.

With those two players, our finesse players would have had more room on the ice. Less liberties would have been taken.

If Gainey thinks he's gonna get decent referring in the playoffs, he's badly mistaken. He better get use to what he saw last night. It's the same thing every playoff. Why would it change this year?

I always remember Sam Pollock telling the story of when the Habs lost a Stanley Cup final because they were manhandled. He promised it would never happen again and the next year he drafted John Ferguson. Now, Laraque is not the player Ferggie was but damn it, he instills the same kinda of respect that he did.

I'm hoping Gainey sees the light because if we meet the Bruins we're gonna get swept and our players are gonna get used as mops.

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 10:44 AM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JV View Post
We needed one point.

We got the point.

He could have had the same result with Laraque in the line up (and O'Byrne, out) , minus the ******** roughness of the Bruins.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 10:45 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Man, are you serious with this? Laraque can't prevent injuries for the Habs players...what is he? Ghandi?
You should have watched the game last night, it was a dandy.

Seriously, Thornton dropped the gloves 3 times, Lucic twice, there were tons of examples of Bruins players taking liberties after the whistle. Those things would NOT have happened had Laraque been on the ice. The Bruins felt like they were 7 feet tall last night with no Laraque or Stewart in the line-up. No one here will convince me otherwise...

Brad May acted like he owned the Habs when Laraque was injured. He even fought 5'8" Bouillon. He had to face Laraque the last couple of games and he was pretty quiet.

Mulan Lucy fought Komisarek. Laraque, the next game, went after him and guess what? He was a kitten out there.

That's the Laraque effect!

Old
04-10-2009, 10:49 AM
Maliki2

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
Look, O'Byrne & Komi turtling, most of the Habs players being handled like rag dolls is not coming out feeling like you can handle anything.

And the bottom line is we lost.

With Laraque & Stewart in the line up, our players don't have to worry about being molested in the corners. You think Chara would have been such a big shot if we had Laraque on the bench? You think Lucic would have jumped Komi from behind? And on a side note, I've lost all respect for Julien. He's a thug coach and he uses thug tactics. Gainey better drop the gentleman act and learn to street fight with that thug, Claude Julien.

With those two players, our finesse players would have had more room on the ice. Less liberties would have been taken.

If Gainey thinks he's gonna get decent referring in the playoffs, he's badly mistaken. He better get use to what he saw last night. It's the same thing every playoff. Why would it change this year?

I always remember Sam Pollock telling the story of when the Habs lost a Stanley Cup final because they were manhandled. He promised it would never happen again and the next year he drafted John Ferguson. Now, Laraque is not the player Ferggie was but damn it, he instills the same kinda of respect that he did.

I'm hoping Gainey sees the light because if we meet the Bruins we're gonna get swept and our players are gonna get used as mops.
I happen to agree.. BG has the GC idiot mental brain farts. We all knew the Bruins would take liberties on our players, wtf cant out coach/GM see this? If we face the Bruins BGL/Stewart needs to be in there. If anyone thinks we can go 7 games with the B's the way they played last night, you have another thing coming. Roll three lines, and when Lucie Lue and the Giraffe get out of hand you throw that fourth line out there to beat the **** out of them. I don't care, win or lose, but you don't let your team get beat all over the ice, because you have some plan, plain and simple. We still lost.....

Maliki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 11:07 AM
emb24*

we can argue about the merits of dressing our two policemen, but the bottom line is the ruins would NOT have taken liberties if they were in the lineup. that is indisputable imo

emb24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emb24 View Post
we can argue about the merits of dressing our two policemen, but the bottom line is the ruins would NOT have taken liberties if they were in the lineup. that is indisputable imo
I don't agree with that at all...

Old
04-10-2009, 11:14 AM

Going back 3-4 years, the Habs have ALWAYS had success vs. the Bruins when they focus on playing hockey first, and that's by using their best attributes as a team which is their speed, skill and execution on the PP.

When the Habs are worried about going toe to toe with the Bruins, they play right into the Bruins hands because the Bruins have way more footsoldiers than the Habs do.

When the Habs are at home and they have the final change and they can decide on matchups, then I agree, dress Laraque/Stewart...but in Boston, there's no reason to rattle their cage at home, Gainey has to worry about having 4 lines that can be dependable in all zones.

Some of you are more interested in settling scores than winning games...ever since the Habs have taken that same attitude, their success vs. the Bruins has disapeared.

If the Habs want to beat the Bruins in the playoffs, the Habs are going to play THEIR game...not the Bruins game. This rock'em sock'em type of game is what the Bruins EXCEL at, this is their identity, trying to 'arm up' and go to war with them on that front, is not something the Habs would be wise to do.

Just play hockey...who cares if the Bruins go nuts everytime one of their players get hit. Let them lose it and make them pay on the PP. That's the Habs identity

Last edited by 417: 04-10-2009 at 11:19 AM.
Old
04-10-2009, 11:14 AM
Laps40

I think a lot of people here underestimate what two enforcers can do. Komi was harassed continiously but there was no one to tell CHara, Thornton and Lucic to stop. Imagine during the playoffs, it could be worse. Hopefully, referees will do a better job cause yesterday it was a shame.

Laps40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 11:18 AM
MonacoBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by emb24 View Post
Did Laraque prevent Komi from getting hurt by Lucic? NO! Did he prevent Markov from getting hurt? No! I'm willing to give the guy a chance but not when the stakes are so high. Like others said, we didn't have last change and couldn't risk putting Laraque in. Laraque has played worse than Bitz this year! He's not as good a hockey player as Thornton this year, either. Maybe next year it'll be different, but not right now.

Think about who you have to take out of the lineup to put our policemen in. We needed 7 D just in case something was wrong with Schneider. Unless you want to play with 5 D and a guy who can't play more than 5 minutes a game...yeah, I don't think so. The goal is to get some points and make the playoffs, after all. So that means you can't take Dandy, O'Byrne (unless you would prefer Breezer) or Weber out. And you really need Weber. That leaves Higgins, Andrei or D'Agostini. Now, Higgins was crucial in getting the point, drawing that penalty in the last minute. D'Ago scored two goals. Andrei created offense and was forcing the Bruins D to back up. He picked up an assist. Who do you take out to put in Georges?! All those guys contributed to the win. Georges wouldn't have helped.

MonacoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 11:20 AM
MonacoBlue

Quote:
Going back 3-4 years, the Habs have ALWAYS had success vs. the Bruins when they focus on playing hockey first, and that's by using their best attributes as a team which is their speed, skill and execution on the PP.

When the Habs are worried about going toe to toe with the Bruins, they play right into the Bruins hands because the Bruins have way more footsoldiers than the Habs do.

When the Habs are at home and they have the final change and they can decide on matchups, then I agree, dress Laraque/Stewart...but in Boston, there's no reason to rattle their cage at home, Gainey has to worry about having 4 lines that can be dependable in all zones.

Some of you are more interested in settling scores than winning games...ever since the Habs have taken that same attitude, their success vs. the Bruins has disapeared.
I agree. Toughness is not part of the Habs' game!! Just get over it, people. Detroit doesn't beat anyone up, either. I haven't seem them pummel anyone in a while.

And if you really think Laraque protects our players, look at how many of them have gotten injured with Georges on duty...Part of the problem is the instigator and part of it is these players know they won't have to deal with him unless they decide to drop the gloves because he's not going to jump on them.

Old
04-10-2009, 11:23 AM
Habblues

Bottom Line Is Ya Gotta At Least Play Big George !!! Without Him We Have No,no ,no Balls !!!!! Come On Bob Wake Up For F$%^*s Sakes !!!!!!!!!!!!

Habblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 11:24 AM
habfan1968

vCash: 50
Quote:
You forgot your.

You do realize 4 games like last night during the playoffs and we get swept out? Right? We effing lost. So don't tell me it was a brilliant move. It was a bone head move.

It was either a bone head move last night or when he went out and signed Laraque. Why get him if you're not gonna use him against teams like Boston? With Laraque and Stewart in the lineup, Boston doesn't pull any of their thuggery. Lucic would be dancing circles, telling Georges he's not allowed to fight.

If we meet Boston in the playoffs and Silent Bob doesn't dress those two, I'll jump on the dump Gainey bandwagon. Watching O'Byrne turtle against Thornton, seeing Komisarek turtle against Chara, witnessing Thornton and Lucic attacking Komi was disgusting. Gainey made a terrible move last night and whining about the refs just proves that he shouldn't be coaching. Maybe he should go sit in Carbo's livingroom and drink Carbo's beer while they discuss whining techniques.

I have never agreed with the L'antichambre gang but last night they were bang on and Morissette said it best. Why take a chance with NHL head office when you have the means to police the game yourself?
No way we would have picked up a point last night with BGL and Stewart in the line up.
However in the first two games of the PO'S they will dress to let Boston know we are not going to go without a fight.

habfan1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 11:26 AM
Maliki2

Quote:
I don't agree with that at all...
So you accept the fact that the Bruins took liberties on our players??? This was just one game....what happens if it goes 4,5,6,7 games? Your willing to let a major injury happen without any repercusions? I'm not.

Old
04-10-2009, 11:28 AM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan1968 View Post
No way we would have picked up a point last night with BGL and Stewart in the line up.
However in the first two games of the PO'S they will dress to let Boston know we are not going to go without a fight.
How do you know that? Was O'Byrne such an integral part of the win? Or Weber? Were those two such powerful forces?

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 11:29 AM
Maliki2

Quote:
How do you know that? Was O'Byrne such an integral part of the win? Or Weber? Were those two such powerful forces?
Webber should move to Obyrns spot..that opens a spot for Laraque....thats not so hard to see.

Old
04-10-2009, 11:33 AM
emb24*

y'all can disagree as much as you like, but the ruins would not have been as chippy if they played. bgl would've calmed lucic / chara down or pummeled thornton; stewart would've gone with bitz...it would've been a less chippy game in the sense that boston would not have taken as many liberties. it's a guarantee, it's the law of averages. was laraque even playing in that game komi got hurt? i don't think so, BUt lucic was quite quiet in montreal...

emb24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 11:34 AM
MonacoBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maliki2 View Post
So you accept the fact that the Bruins took liberties on our players??? This was just one game....what happens if it goes 4,5,6,7 games? Your willing to let a major injury happen without any repercusions? I'm not.
When has Laraque ever prevented an injury? The Bruins were being retarded and they gave the Habs a chance to win. Does it look something was wrong with our players after the game?