HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why bench Laraque and Stewart?

Old
04-10-2009, 11:37 AM
MonacoBlue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by emb24 View Post
y'all can disagree as much as you like, but the ruins would not have been as chippy if they played. bgl would've calmed lucic / chara down or pummeled thornton; stewart would've gone with bitz...it would've been a less chippy game in the sense that boston would not have taken as many liberties. it's a guarantee, it's the law of averages. was laraque even playing in that game komi got hurt? i don't think so, BUt lucic was quite quiet in montreal...
Calmer Bruins probably would've won. Look at how crucial Lucic snapping was!

Not to mention you can't take out any of the forwards because they all contributed. And say what you want about Dandy and O'Byrne but it's very risky to go with just 6 defencemen when you don't know if Schneider will hold up. It's better to have those two than 5 defencemen potentially and not to mention a forward who is slow and can only play 5 minutes.

MonacoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maliki2 View Post
So you accept the fact that the Bruins took liberties on our players??? This was just one game....what happens if it goes 4,5,6,7 games? Your willing to let a major injury happen without any repercusions? I'm not.
The Bruins took liberties because

#1 - the game was HORRIBLY officiated, truth be told, both Lucic & Chara should of got thrown out of the game, and actually, Thornton as well.

#2 - I've never seen a team overreact over hits as much as this Bruins team. I mean, anytime any of their players gets touched with a bit of vigor, they lose it. The NHL really needs to look at some of the actions by guys like Thomas & Thornton, because I don't think they realize that hitting is part of the game. I get so sick of it when players go nuts because one of their players gets hit, I mean, you can't even throw a check these days without having to defend yourself.

Again...last night was 1 GAME, and it was a special game in that the Habs HAD to at least earn 1 pt. Which means that they needed to dress their best lineup possible, and i'm sorry, I don't think Laraque has been a key contributor at any level this year, much less Stewart.

The playoffs is a different story and a strategy can be revised at that point, but last night? I absolutely agree with Gainey's decision to sit Laraque/Stewart.

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 11:38 AM
Maliki2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoBlue View Post
When has Laraque ever prevented an injury? The Bruins were being retarded and they gave the Habs a chance to win. Does it look something was wrong with our players after the game?
A chance and actually winning are two different things. I'm not willing to allow our players to get beat up or pushed or injured just to have a chance, maybe you are. With Laraque out there, they need to be careful. Do I think he can prevent it....no...but the cheapshots they threw last night would have had them looking behind them if we had a enforcer out there.

If the habs have to go 4,5,6,7 games like we did last night, we have no chance, they will be pushed around and beat up, plain and simple.

Maliki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 11:40 AM
Maliki2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
The Bruins took liberties because

#1 - the game was HORRIBLY officiated, truth be told, both Lucic & Chara should of got thrown out of the game, and actually, Thornton as well.

#2 - I've never seen a team overreact over hits as much as this Bruins team. I mean, anytime any of their players gets touched with a bit of vigor, they lose it. The NHL really needs to look at some of the actions by guys like Thomas & Thornton, because I don't think they realize that hitting is part of the game. I get so sick of it when players go nuts because one of their players gets hit, I mean, you can't even throw a check these days without having to defend yourself.

Again...last night was 1 GAME, and it was a special game in that the Habs HAD to at least earn 1 pt. Which means that they needed to dress their best lineup possible, and i'm sorry, I don't think Laraque has been a key contributor at any level this year, much less Stewart.

The playoffs is a different story and a strategy can be revised at that point, but last night? I absolutely agree with Gainey's decision to sit Laraque/Stewart.
Unfortunately that makes absolutely no sense. Your playoffs on the line or the first round of the playoffs....it doesnt matter...you need to set something in stone. Make the other team wonder..all Gainey did was show that he was willing to let our smaller guys get smacked around, get pushed around, and lose fights...and the end result was that the Bruins still won.

Old
04-10-2009, 11:41 AM
emb24*

Quote:
A chance and actually winning are two different things. I'm not willing to allow our players to get beat up or pushed or injured just to have a chance, maybe you are. With Laraque out there, they need to be careful. Do I think he can prevent it....no...but the cheapshots they threw last night would have had them looking behind them if we had a enforcer out there.

If the habs have to go 4,5,6,7 games like we did last night, we have no chance, they will be pushed around and beat up, plain and simple.
i agree with gainey's message of wanting to play hockey, but it's clear the bruins were pulling an anaheim last night; and gainey simply can't let that happen in a playoff series. laraque would most likely destroy a thornton early and believe me, that would calm things down. stewart can actually play and would be insurance on that line too.

the boston fans who think laraque has 'lost it' are idiots and need to look no further of his quick dismantling of guys like rechliz and neil unwilling to man up to BGL after his hit of kovalev last week

emb24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 11:42 AM

Quote:

Oh stop it...this is grown men we're talking about. If they can't handle a little rough stuff against a team notoriously known for being rough, then they need to get the hell out of the NHL.

Come on man...having Laraque on the team doesn't mean squat if the players don't first and foremost, learn to defend themselves.

Old
04-10-2009, 11:43 AM
emb24*

Quote:

Come on man...having Laraque on the team doesn't mean squat if the players don't first and foremost, learn to defend themselves.

you can have both

Old
04-10-2009, 11:44 AM
Maliki2

Quote:
Oh stop it...this is grown men we're talking about. If they can't handle a little rough stuff against a team notoriously known for being rough, then they need to get the hell out of the NHL.

Yeah because Koivu and Pleks...need to defend themselves against Lucie and Chara.....*******! lol

Old
04-10-2009, 11:45 AM

Do you guys think that every player on the Habs excluding Laraque and Stewart are made of glass???

What the hell, they can't handle one game where the going gets rough?

Please

Old
04-10-2009, 11:46 AM
MonacoBlue

Quote:

It doesn't matter about other games. Yesterday was just one game! You adjust your strategy depending on the circumstances. We have a lot of weapons: scoring and otherwise.

Maybe with Markov in, playing Laraque would've been smarter. Now that Schneider held up, maybe we can play only 6 D. Maybe play Laraque at home, where we have last change. But, for yesterday, not playing Laraque was the right strategy. The Habs don't have a 2nd line that clicks right now. You have to put in as much talent as possible in the hopes that somebody would score. Hell, we needed 4 goals just to get a tie! It's not the Bruins don't have talent. They have talent and size, but it's the talent that got us our point yesterday. The size wouldn't have helped.

Old
04-10-2009, 11:47 AM
habfan1968

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
You should have watched the game last night, it was a dandy.

Seriously, Thornton dropped the gloves 3 times, Lucic twice, there were tons of examples of Bruins players taking liberties after the whistle. Those things would NOT have happened had Laraque been on the ice. The Bruins felt like they were 7 feet tall last night with no Laraque or Stewart in the line-up. No one here will convince me otherwise...

Brad May acted like he owned the Habs when Laraque was injured. He even fought 5'8" Bouillon. He had to face Laraque the last couple of games and he was pretty quiet.

Mulan Lucy fought Komisarek. Laraque, the next game, went after him and guess what? He was a kitten out there.

That's the Laraque effect!
The effect is there no doubt but, last nights game would have been the wrong game to do it in. The plan worked because we all knew how the Bruins would play us without BGL in the game, rough, as a result there were plenty of Habs PP's to work with, Point taken. Sure we lost but now how does Julien play us in the Playoffs, he does not know.

habfan1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 11:48 AM
MonacoBlue

Quote:
Yeah because Koivu and Pleks...need to defend themselves against Lucie and Chara.....*******! lol
There are refs, buddy. They didn't know as good a job as they could have, but notice how nothing happened to Grabovski after he took out Markov! The refs aren't going to let the B's just attack our players at random. I know you just want to see Laraque beat people up, but it wasn't the right strategy given the circumstances.

Old
04-10-2009, 11:49 AM

Quote:
what did Chara do to Koivu and Plekanec???? Did we watch a different game?

Chara's an all star, a Norris worthy defensman...you guys SERIOUSLY think a guy like Laraque who plays 5 mins a game if he's luckey is going to make him stop from being physical?

You guys can't seriously believe this...there's some deeply distorted logic here.

The Bruins have an edge physically, that the Habs will never be able to match (at least for this year). And that's that their physical players, are also players who play heavy minutes, whether it's the 30 mins a game from Chara, or 17 mins a game from Lucic, or 10 mins a game on the 4th line from Thornton. As long as they have that edge, having Laraque in the lineup for ONE ISOLATED GAME LIKE LAST NIGHT, doesn't matter....

Now over a 7 game series, that's a different story...but we're not talking about the playoffs, we're talking about 1 regular season game between the Habs and Bruins from last night.

Old
04-10-2009, 11:50 AM
emb24*

Quote:
Unfortunately that makes absolutely no sense. Your playoffs on the line or the first round of the playoffs....it doesnt matter...you need to set something in stone. Make the other team wonder..all Gainey did was show that he was willing to let our smaller guys get smacked around, get pushed around, and lose fights...and the end result was that the Bruins still won.
gainey's gamble was correct. he essentially chose a 7th dman because of the pp - and we scored several goals. so he chose special teams over additional toughness. that being said it was clear to me that the ruins were out to injure and this is confirmed by gainey wanting to talk to the nhl which implies he didn't think the refs did enough to protect the players (hab players). so now if habs play boston it will be up to him to decide if the refs won't do it, and i don't expect they will, he will have to dress certain players and take measures to protect our players

Old
04-10-2009, 11:51 AM
Maliki2

Quote:
There are refs, buddy. They didn't know as good a job as they could have, but notice how nothing happened to Grabovski after he took out Markov! The refs aren't going to let the B's just attack our players at random. I know you just want to see Laraque beat people up, but it wasn't the right strategy given the circumstances.
Yeah because the refs stopped Lucie was washing Komi from behind...and the refs stopped Chara from punching Kom in the face with his gloves on... The refs wont do ****....period.

Old
04-10-2009, 11:52 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Going back 3-4 years, the Habs have ALWAYS had success vs. the Bruins when they focus on playing hockey first, and that's by using their best attributes as a team which is their speed, skill and execution on the PP.

When the Habs are worried about going toe to toe with the Bruins, they play right into the Bruins hands because the Bruins have way more footsoldiers than the Habs do.

When the Habs are at home and they have the final change and they can decide on matchups, then I agree, dress Laraque/Stewart...but in Boston, there's no reason to rattle their cage at home, Gainey has to worry about having 4 lines that can be dependable in all zones.

Some of you are more interested in settling scores than winning games...ever since the Habs have taken that same attitude, their success vs. the Bruins has disapeared.

If the Habs want to beat the Bruins in the playoffs, the Habs are going to play THEIR game...not the Bruins game. This rock'em sock'em type of game is what the Bruins EXCEL at, this is their identity, trying to 'arm up' and go to war with them on that front, is not something the Habs would be wise to do.

Just play hockey...who cares if the Bruins go nuts everytime one of their players get hit. Let them lose it and make them pay on the PP. That's the Habs identity
For one thing, NHL hockey includes intimidation and fighting, whether you like it or not. When I see Komisarek grabbed from behind and sucker-punched, same with Lapierre and Latendresse having to do the dirty work, it scares me as we can't afford to lose those guys for the playoffs to injuries.

Quote:
Did Laraque prevent Komi from getting hurt by Lucic? NO! Did he prevent Markov from getting hurt? No! I'm willing to give the guy a chance but not when the stakes are so high.
Komo didn't have to drop the gloves with Lucy, he CHOSE to do it. Last night, it was obvious that he had no intentions in dropping them again and that's where Laraque is handy! As for the Markov injury, hockey is a contact sport and I like to think you yourself as intelligent, so you know that having an enforcer or not in the line-up won't prevent all injuries. But having an enforcer and letting him do his job will prevent injuries related to scrums and fights and THAT's what we're talking about here, particularly in last night's game!

Again, Seriously, Thornton dropped the gloves 3 times, Lucic twice, there were tons of examples of Bruins players taking liberties after the whistle. Those things would NOT have happened had Laraque been on the ice. The Bruins felt like they were 7 feet tall last night with no Laraque or Stewart in the line-up. No one here will convince me otherwise...

Brad May acted like he owned the Habs when Laraque was injured. He even fought 5'8" Bouillon. He had to face Laraque the last couple of games and he was pretty quiet.

Mulan Lucy fought Komisarek. Laraque, the next game, went after him and guess what? He was a kitten out there.

Quote:
So you accept the fact that the Bruins took liberties on our players??? This was just one game....what happens if it goes 4,5,6,7 games? Your willing to let a major injury happen without any repercusions? I'm not.
Exactly. When Dandenault was pulled from behind and fell, anyone noticed that he hurt his leg? What if it was Koivu, Kovalev, Tanguay, Komo, Hammer? Let Laraque do his job. He can't do it from the pressbox!

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 11:53 AM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

Quote:
Do you guys think that every player on the Habs excluding Laraque and Stewart are made of glass???

Please
They can handle one, but in a best of 7?

Please.

Hannibal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 11:54 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:

Please
How did Komisarek get injured again? Many of us last year were saying that we needed a heavyweight so that he didn't need to do that job as it would hurt to lose him to injuries or at the very least, he was more valuable on the ice than 5 minutes at a time in the penalty box. Sure, he fought Lucy but he CHOSE to do it and didn't HAVE to.

Old
04-10-2009, 11:55 AM

Quote:
How did Komisarek get injured again? Many of us last year were saying that we needed a heavyweight so that he didn't need to do that job as it would hurt to lose him to injuries or at the very least, he was more valuable on the ice than 5 minutes at a time in the penalty box. Sure, he fought Lucy but he CHOSE to do it and didn't HAVE to.
He got injured in a fight with Lucic, WHILE GEORGE LARAQUE WAS ON THE BENCH!!!!!!

Old
04-10-2009, 11:56 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
There are refs, buddy.
What games are you watching this year? Do you truthfully trust that the refs can do a good job by now? Since going to the two referee system, half of them aren't qualified or are too old to keep up! The last thing I want is to put the safety of our players in the refs' hands!

Old
04-10-2009, 11:57 AM
Maliki2

Quote:
And we have a repeat of last year....Komi getting the snot beat out of him, because some fans and our GM think thats it ok to let smaller non fighters play the game. I hate to say this, but if BG goes in with this type of mentality the Habs are finished in 4. Let me see, Komi-Chara or BGL and Chara...tough decision there...

Old
04-10-2009, 11:58 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Man...players, OTHER than Laraque and Stewart are going to have to learn to defend themselves, ok. I know you guys all want to see the big sideshow that is a Laraque fight, you want to cheer on a pummeling as though this was a gladiator ring or a UFC fight, but it's not.

fights happen, injuries happen, retribution happens, **** happens. If you can't handle that as a player and you need an enforcer on your bench at all times, then you shouldn't be in the NHL, period. It's a man's game!

AND AGAIN, THIS WAS 1 GAME...
Let me ask you... why do YOU think Gainey went and got Laraque this summer, after the series against the Bruins and the Flyers? Asking the question is answering it.

Again, Seriously, Thornton dropped the gloves 3 times, Lucic twice, there were tons of examples of Bruins players taking liberties after the whistle. Those things would NOT have happened had Laraque been on the ice. The Bruins felt like they were 7 feet tall last night with no Laraque or Stewart in the line-up. No one here will convince me otherwise...

Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
They can handle one, but in a best of 7?

Please.

Last night wasn't a best of 7...it was 1 game

Why are you guys trying to bring forth this argument of a '7 game' series when referring to last night??? It wasn't the playoffs, it was a regular season game

Old
Maliki2

Quote:
What games are you watching this year? Do you truthfully trust that the refs can do a good job by now? Since going to the two referee system, half of them aren't qualified or are too old to keep up! The last thing I want is to put the safety of our players in the refs' hands!
Funny these people need to go read the GDT...there was nothing but ***** after ***** after ***** about the refs...but here we go, another great ref analysis on Hf....lol

Old
04-10-2009, 11:59 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:

Please
No they can't. And yes they've made of glass. Look at the Bruins line-up: every player they have can take care of themselves with the exception of Kessel. All of them play a little bit of an edge. Did you see how Bergeron made Lapierre look like a child? While most of our guys, some can play physical but most don't have that killer instinct, that nastiness.

My problem is mainly about the injuries. Bob wanted to play hockey because we needed the win. But it could have turned uglier, meaning some of our guys could have been injured.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote