HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why bench Laraque and Stewart?

Old
04-10-2009, 12:59 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
He got injured in a fight with Lucic, WHILE GEORGE LARAQUE WAS ON THE BENCH!!!!!!
Komo ****ing CHOSE TO DROP THE GLOVES. Last year, he HAD to. Now he DOESN'T WHEN LARAQUE IS IN THE LINE-UP!

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 01:00 PM
Maliki2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post

Last night wasn't a best of 7...it was 1 game

Why are you guys trying to bring forth this argument of a '7 game' series when referring to last night??? It wasn't the playoffs, it was a regular season game
So your ok with going into the playoffs with the team we had last night, that got beat around, pushed around, and still lost? Mmmmmk.......

Maliki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 01:02 PM
MonacoBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
What games are you watching this year? Do you truthfully trust that the refs can do a good job by now? Since going to the two referee system, half of them aren't qualified or are too old to keep up! The last thing I want is to put the safety of our players in the refs' hands!
You can trust them to do a decent enough job so that we get out of the game with a point and a playoff berth, and that's what happened. Seriously, we couldn't risk 5 D yesterday. And we couldn't take out our scorers, either. We needed 4 goals ffs! It was a strategy for just one game, and it worked. Do you really think we would've won without D'Agostini? Probably not. Higgins? Not likely. Put Georges on the ice at the end of the game and we lose. Andrei helped out, too.

It's not the ideal situation, but the refs only let the Bruins get in a couple bruises and we got the point we needed.

MonacoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Let me ask you... why do YOU think Gainey went and got Laraque this summer, after the series against the Bruins and the Flyers? Asking the question is answering it.

Again, Seriously, Thornton dropped the gloves 3 times, Lucic twice, there were tons of examples of Bruins players taking liberties after the whistle. Those things would NOT have happened had Laraque been on the ice. The Bruins felt like they were 7 feet tall last night with no Laraque or Stewart in the line-up. No one here will convince me otherwise...
Brad May acted like he owned the Habs when Laraque was injured. He even fought 5'8" Bouillon. He had to face Laraque the last couple of games and he was pretty quiet.

Mulan Lucy fought Komisarek. Laraque, the next game, went after him and guess what? He was a kitten out there.

That's the Laraque effect!
Yeah...i'm sure Gregory Stewart has Zdeno Chara having nightmares at night. I bet he can't sleep, must be why he looks like a freakin' zombie

Gainey signed Laraque this summer to enhance the teams toughess, to add a few inches/pounds to his team. This I understand

And I even agree with you about the "Laraque effect" I do think that he can be a deterrent to the type of stuff that happened last night, but last night wasn't the night where the Habs needed to go in bearing arms...last night was a game where the Habs had to have their best possibly lineup to earn at least 1 point.

Again...if this was an ultimate game for all the marbles, would you guys seriously dress Laraque for it considering what he's contributed to the team this year???

If that answer is yes, then you guys need to go watch UFC matches instead of hockey games

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 01:06 PM

Did I say that????

I'm not talking about the playoffs, I'M TALKING ABOUT LAST NIGHTS REGULAR SEASON GAME

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 01:13 PM
Mustafa*

I wanted Laraque to be in the line-up, but i guess Bob Gainey's plan was to let the Bruins take dumb penalities and take advantage of that, that would explain why he was so locacious about the ref after the game... they just didn't do their jobs.

Nobody thought that O'Byrne or Komisarek had it covered, thinking that somebody in the world thought that Komisarek and O'Byrne had it covered is plain stoooooooooooopid... but then again... Bruin's fans.

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 01:14 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 01:18 PM
smon

O'Byrne was brutal, marks for effort and trying to stand up for his teammates, but defensively I actually (shudder) would like to see a veteran like Brisebois playing more than him. O'Byrne's not strong positionally, doesn't have a good outlet pass, and doesn't hit.

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 01:29 PM
Team_Spirit
Gangsta Pleks

vCash: 50
RDS brainwash at it's best.

Excellent coaching by Bob.

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 01:32 PM
bentheprop

Quote:
Originally Posted by smon View Post
O'Byrne was brutal, marks for effort and trying to stand up for his teammates, but defensively I actually (shudder) would like to see a veteran like Brisebois playing more than him. O'Byrne's not strong positionally, doesn't have a good outlet pass, and doesn't hit.
Unfortunately after all these years the only one of those that Breezy brings to the table is the outlet pass.

bentheprop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 01:40 PM
habdynasty

Big George has to be in the lineup when we play the bruins, last nights decision to scatch him was a huge mistake.

habdynasty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 01:40 PM
Davebo
BeepBeep!

I don't think BGL will dress a single playoff game. I just can't see it. It's not his thing....

But what do I know - so many inexplicable things have happened this season!

Davebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 02:49 PM
JV

Quote:
Laraque doesn't play on the PP and neither does O'Byrne. I'd hate to have key players injured because our coach/GM short memory, forgetting that the teams he's played on relied on enforcers to allow them to skate in peace!
Thanks for the 411. I thought Laraque and Stewart were our go to guys on the pp.

We had nearly 40 shots on goal. We weren't intimidated, or thrown off our game except by (wait for this), bad penalties.

But the main point is all you second guessers sound like nattering old ladies arguing over the price of cabbage. If we'd only managed 17 shots on goal and everyone had been too frightened to go into the corners, and we'd lost, then by all means go to town. But it didn't go down that way.

JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 02:52 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by smon View Post
O'Byrne was bad but I would sure dress him in a physical series.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 03:17 PM
beg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
No they can't. And yes they've made of glass. Look at the Bruins line-up: every player they have can take care of themselves with the exception of Kessel. All of them play a little bit of an edge. Did you see how Bergeron made Lapierre look like a child? While most of our guys, some can play physical but most don't have that killer instinct, that nastiness.

My problem is mainly about the injuries. Bob wanted to play hockey because we needed the win. But it could have turned uglier, meaning some of our guys could have been injured.
The team got the point it needed... it wasn't a game about sending a message for montreal... it WAS for Boston!!! played to mtls advantage 3pp goals... prob didn't know how schneider would resond to injury... Markov and schneider were hurt against toronto by big bad Grabovski (With BGL) in the lineup... if they don't get the point... the team has a long summer to recover... lucic did mug him from behind... but it's not as if he bertuzid him.... it was game 7 for montreal... it was a statement for boston... do you think anyone in the dressing room gives a s**t that the game was rough... or do you think they are happy to be in the playoffs.

beg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 03:30 PM
willalong

Quote:
Originally Posted by habdynasty View Post
Big George has to be in the lineup when we play the bruins, last nights decision to scatch him was a huge mistake.
Result: got the the BIG point, Verdict, Gainey correct

If the still needed the point Saturday night, how happy would you be.

If they lost in regulation against Pittsburgh, how happy would you be.

If Florida won and got the 8th spot how happy would you be.

Wheather Larougue and Stewart played is not an issue, they, may have got the point anyway....or they could have been deprived of power play chances and D'agastini's two goals and lost.

RESULTS MAKE IT A MUTE POINT.....YOU GOT THE POINT,

Now do you get the POINT.

willalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 03:44 PM
Habskrieg

Quote:
Originally Posted by beg View Post
The team got the point it needed... it wasn't a game about sending a message for montreal... it WAS for Boston!!! played to mtls advantage 3pp goals... prob didn't know how schneider would resond to injury... Markov and schneider were hurt against toronto by big bad Grabovski (With BGL) in the lineup... if they don't get the point... the team has a long summer to recover... lucic did mug him from behind... but it's not as if he bertuzid him.... it was game 7 for montreal... it was a statement for boston... do you think anyone in the dressing room gives a s**t that the game was rough... or do you think they are happy to be in the playoffs.
This... you can put muscle up but it still won't change opposing players to come at your players and try to get them injured. We've seen unfotunately too many times this season, I wonder why we're still debating this especially after getting the 1 point needed to give reason scratching BGL and Stew.

/thread

Habskrieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 03:48 PM
willalong

Quote:
For one thing, NHL hockey includes intimidation and fighting, whether you like it or not. When I see Komisarek grabbed from behind and sucker-punched, same with Lapierre and Latendresse having to do the dirty work, it scares me as we can't afford to lose those guys for the playoffs to injuries.

Komo didn't have to drop the gloves with Lucy, he CHOSE to do it. Last night, it was obvious that he had no intentions in dropping them again and that's where Laraque is handy! As for the Markov injury, hockey is a contact sport and I like to think you yourself as intelligent, so you know that having an enforcer or not in the line-up won't prevent all injuries. But having an enforcer and letting him do his job will prevent injuries related to scrums and fights and THAT's what we're talking about here, particularly in last night's game!

Again, Seriously, Thornton dropped the gloves 3 times, Lucic twice, there were tons of examples of Bruins players taking liberties after the whistle. Those things would NOT have happened had Laraque been on the ice. The Bruins felt like they were 7 feet tall last night with no Laraque or Stewart in the line-up. No one here will convince me otherwise...

Brad May acted like he owned the Habs when Laraque was injured. He even fought 5'8" Bouillon. He had to face Laraque the last couple of games and he was pretty quiet.

Mulan Lucy fought Komisarek. Laraque, the next game, went after him and guess what? He was a kitten out there.

That's the Laraque effect!

Exactly. When Dandenault was pulled from behind and fell, anyone noticed that he hurt his leg? What if it was Koivu, Kovalev, Tanguay, Komo, Hammer? Let Laraque do his job. He can't do it from the pressbox!
You have valid points, and, with a playoff spot guaranteed, you, are 100% correct. However, if you are running out of season and you need 1 point to be in the playoffs. You have to take another approach.

Next game in Boston I would play Larouque and see what happens. A few fights the first game would not worry me. However, that being said, if it was the seventh game I would rethink my approach.

In Gainey I trust to make the right choice.

Old
04-10-2009, 03:50 PM
wolfinhabsclothing

Man - some of you guys have been watching way too much Don Cherry on coach's corner. Since when can George Laraque tall buildings in a single bound? What's he supposed to do, jump off the bench every time Lucic or Chara roughs up a Hab? The Bruins would love to have Laraque on the ice against their better players! That would be playing into their hands.

Get it through your thick heads. Everyone in management regrets the Laraque signing and he will be bought out at year's end. He will not play in the playoffs as he can no longer do his job. He scares nobody, can't keep other Habs players from getting hit/injured, and can no longer skate or play the game.

The Habs are much better off with a guy who can play 10-15 minutes of actual hockey in the lineup, over BGL. The Habs stopped being successful against Boston when they started to play tough. Let the B's take the penalties - we'll take care of business on the PP.

wolfinhabsclothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 03:53 PM
willalong

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfinhabsclothing View Post
When will people realize that Laraque can no longer skate, turn, make a play, or any number of things he use to be able to do? Shawn Thornton can play 10 minutes a game, score once in a while, hit, contribute defensively, and basically not look lost - BGL can't play 10 minutes a game - if you dress him it's a waste of a spot.

If BGL dresses, and only plays 4 minutes, chances are he's not on the ice when the rough stuff starts anyways, and there's no use putting him out there after the fact - he doesn't scare anybody any more.

Honestly, I'd rather the Habs play like they did last night, take a few lumps, goad the Bruins into penalties, and use the PP to punish them. We should play our game, not theirs.
Rough stuff doesn't start......simple....Larouque is the bomb you want to avoid. So Chara would not start punching people. Lucie plays it safe also.

If you are these guys do you want to force that guy on you....he can seriously end your career and you do not want to be embarrassed in front of the world.

Old
04-10-2009, 03:59 PM
willalong

Quote:
The "game plan" could have seen some serious injuries to Komisarek and other of our players... BRILLIANT Gainey!

What a ****ing ridiculous decision not to dress Laraque last night! Why the hell did Gainey sign him? Wouldn't he be better than ****ing O'Byrne sitting at the end of the bench?

I love Gainey, I love Carbonneau, but they seem to suffer from memory loss. They don't believe in that kind of players but yet, they've both benefited of Pierre Bouchard, Chris Nilan and John Kordic, just to name a few.

For Christ sake, you're going to Boston, why put Komisarek, Latendresse, Lapierre and your other players in that position? I bet you anything that the players were wondering what the **** Gainey was thinking!

Thornton, Lucy and company acted like they owned the place tonight. I can guarantee you that they wouldn't have acted that way with BGL in the line-up!
Or cost the point....take your pick

The players realized what the game plan was....Lapierre was yapping all night getting under there skin....Lucie was losing it...Russell was upset...Julien was upset.

The players actually got stronger as the game went on....Kostysin looks like he might be coming around.

D'gastin started scoring again....and Dandenaugh got a key assist on Kovy's first goal....these guys would not have been there in most likelihood.

You can play the what if game and never no for sure....the result is your only answer.

Old
04-10-2009, 04:00 PM
Habskrieg

Quote:
Originally Posted by willalong View Post
Rough stuff doesn't start......simple....Larouque is the bomb you want to avoid. So Chara would not start punching people. Lucie plays it safe also.

If you are these guys do you want to force that guy on you....he can seriously end your career and you do not want to be embarrassed in front of the world.
Remember that other game where Laraque was shadowing Lucic a good proportion of the game. Later Lucic scores and also fights Komi... Yea BGL can be useful. Not so much against teams that we have long time rivalries with.

Habskrieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 04:01 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by willalong View Post

Who's that guy ?

You mean LARAQUE ?

If you like him, why don't you learn to spell his name correctly ?

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 04:05 PM
willalong

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfinhabsclothing View Post
Man - some of you guys have been watching way too much Don Cherry on coach's corner. Since when can George Laraque tall buildings in a single bound? What's he supposed to do, jump off the bench every time Lucic or Chara roughs up a Hab? The Bruins would love to have Laraque on the ice against their better players! That would be playing into their hands.

Get it through your thick heads. Everyone in management regrets the Laraque signing and he will be bought out at year's end. He will not play in the playoffs as he can no longer do his job. He scares nobody, can't keep other Habs players from getting hit/injured, and can no longer skate or play the game.

The Habs are much better off with a guy who can play 10-15 minutes of actual hockey in the lineup, over BGL. The Habs stopped being successful against Boston when they started to play tough. Let the B's take the penalties - we'll take care of business on the PP.
You are forgetting Larouque's just being there, brings a calm.

Everybody he has fought this year as a hab he has destroyed.

Just being on the bench even if he plays low minutes makes people think twice and your players can play the game to there full potential.

You have a "body guard" he is paid to look out for you, there is no trouble....he is a deterent....do you get rid of the body guard or do appreciate the fact that he is there is keeping the peace.

Old
04-10-2009, 04:08 PM
willalong

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
Who's that guy ?

You mean LARAQUE ?

If you like him, why don't you learn to spell his name correctly ?
Excellent points....your grammar could use some work as well.

You knew who I was talking about apparently.