HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers sign David Sloane; Parent could be ready for Saturday (Apr. 11)

Old
04-09-2009, 10:05 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Well why the hell isn't Cote on LTIR then? That would have solved it all and we wouldn't had to bring in someone off the street to play tonight.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2009, 10:08 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

For LTIR you have to file an exemption. Being that Cote has been out for a week now, I don't think that takes a week to do.

Old
04-10-2009, 01:57 AM
ELab2

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
For LTIR you have to file an exemption. Being that Cote has been out for a week now, I don't think that takes a week to do.
I read somewhere that since you have to be out for 10 games to qualify you can't qualify if there are less than 10 games left in the season

ELab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 02:01 AM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodrev View Post
i honestly think the kid didnt fare that bad considering he was pretty much thrown to the wolves. I mean seriously, I can imagine the conversation they had.

Holmgren: "hey, so we were thinking about singing you"
Sloane: "thats great lets do it, when do i start"
Holmgren: "how does 7:00 sound?"

he looked shaky his first shift but beyond that he was not bad considering he has not practiced with the team longer than a day, and has never worked with our system at all besides rookie camps.
Ha. Great way to put it.

I couldn't imagine it. Playing your first NHL game in MSG, American's Showcase.
I'd be running to the closet trash can to lose my lunch.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 02:19 AM
goodrev

i honestly think the kid didnt fare that bad considering he was pretty much thrown to the wolves. I mean seriously, I can imagine the conversation they had.

he looked shaky his first shift but beyond that he was not bad considering he has not practiced with the team longer than a day, and has never worked with our system at all besides rookie camps.

goodrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 02:40 AM
flyers ltd

I left before the news of the signing broke so I had no clue who #40 was the entire game. Couldn't read the name plate. I got a little nervous when Alberts had to explain to him the warm-up drills.

flyers ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 03:02 AM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Quote:

Ha. Great way to put it.

I couldn't imagine it. Playing your first NHL game in MSG, America's Showcase.
I'd be running to the closet trash can to lose my lunch.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 10:53 AM
agentj*

Quote:
You can put anyone on LTIR anytime. What you are missing is that the SALARY does not come off UNTIL the 10th game is missed. There were not 10 games left in the regular season, so no relief this year for Cote's injury.

Couldn't send Parent down for a day, you cannot send down an injured player.

There was simply NO cap space left for ANY Phantom callup. This Sloane guy, while signed to an ATO by the Phantoms had NEVER actually PLAYED a professional game.... hence he was able to be signed to a 24 hour emergency try out contract at a price of $100. If Parent can't go Saturday, you'll see someone else on a similar deal....it CANNOT be Sloane again.

What I don't understand is why not send Nodl or Powe back down and recall Syvret/Guenin/whoever? I can't see that double shifting Asham or Carcillo every fourth or fifth shift would have been a problem.....

It's all a moot point Monday....there is no cap in the playoffs and there will be a plethora of call ups available if necessary including Sbisa and Kukkonen.

agentj* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 10:59 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

I think you can send guys to the minors so long as they're not on IR, I could be wrong on that.

Old
04-10-2009, 11:01 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
I think the wont send Nodl down because they dont have any call ups left anyway. Or just 1 or something. Same reason why they wouldnt send Parent down( I think you can send down if not on IR) because you only get a certain amount of call ups after the deadline

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 11:19 AM
BigBanger

Nice job managing the Cap homer.. bring in a guy that may not even be Minor league Materal in important game against Rangers... and I got hammered by resident hockey Genius for wanting Luca.

BigBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 01:16 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 920
Quote:
Isn't there a "day" requirement, something like 23? Most likely it is due to the nearing of completion of the regular season.

Edit:

http://www.nhlscap.com/cap_faq.htm#article_50.10

Quote:
A player is considered to have a bona-fide long-term injury if, in the opinion of the team, the player has an injury which will cause him to miss at least 10 games and 24 days.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 04-10-2009 at 01:23 PM.
MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 01:17 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

http://www.courierpostonline.com/art...HLItiZE3vKE%3D
Quote:

The Flyers found a loophole in the Collective Bargaining Agreement by signing Sloane to a one-day contract and paying him per diem. His one-day salary did not count against the salary cap and it's entirely possible his NHL career began and ended on the same day.

If Parent cannot play against the Islanders on Saturday, Holmgren said he would be forced to sign another defenseman to an emergency, 24-hour contract, or play with 17 skaters instead of 18.

Sloane, a 6-foot-4, 220-pounder, played four seasons at Colgate University. When his senior season ended last month, he signed an amateur tryout contract with the AHL Phantoms on March 17, but did not play a game under coach John Paddock.

"If he had, we couldn't have signed him to play," Holmgren said.

Sloane, who wore No. 40 against the Rangers, grew up just a short drive from the Wachovia Center.

He seemed awestruck by his opportunity to skate with the Flyers Thursday in one of the world's most famous arenas.

"I'm very surprised and excited about this opportunity," Sloan said before Thursday night's game. "I had no idea this was happening."

In 35 games at Colgate this season, Sloane posted four assists and 37 penalty minutes and was named to the ECAC Hockey All-Academic Team. In 129 career games over four years at Colgate, Sloane recorded 10 goals and 13 assists for 23 points and 100 penalty minutes.

Old
04-10-2009, 03:05 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Parent could be ready for tomorrow:

http://flyers.nhl.com/team/app/?serv...LPage&id=18891
Quote:

Today at practice, defenseman Ryan Parent declared himself as ready to play against the Islanders. Parent left Tuesday's game against Florida with a lower body injury, and sat out last night's hard-fought 2-1 loss to the Rangers at Madison Square Garden.

"I had no real problems with it, so I'll give it a go tomorrow," said Parent after practice. "You're obviously a little hesitant to push it, but nothing is really bothering me too much. It's good."

Old
04-10-2009, 03:09 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

So then who else do the Phantoms have that don't play?

Old
04-10-2009, 03:49 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
So then who else do the Phantoms have that don't play?
Lehtivuori

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 12:46 AM
TheSkatingDutchman

Hey guys, did anybody know that he's from Philly and he's officially the first Philly born Flyer?

The worst hockey blog on the internet has a good article for once about it

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...urn=nhl,154967

TheSkatingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 11:06 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

I didn't think Sloane was half bad considering it was his only game. Maybe worth looking into for a cheap defenseman next season?

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 11:21 AM
kicksave27

Quote:
you said "system"

chip all puck out off the glass up the wall even if 2 players are right there and you have other options, or blindly reverse it behind the net. and whatever you do, don't make a short smart pass to a teamate in the zone for him to get it out.

I think he can handle it

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 01:05 AM
turkinaa

I liked the way he played in the game (maybe because he wasn't given a chance to mess up from his limit ice time), but I wouldn't mind seeing him suit up again. Maybe I'm just bias because he is from Ambler and I'm from the same area. Also can't forget about Voce, a Philly born player for the Phantoms.

turkinaa is offline   Reply With Quote